|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who sent messages praising Russia and castigating the U.S.?
(a) David Ormsby Gore.
(b) Fidel Castro.
(c) Ted Sorensen.
(d) Bertrand Russell.
2. How did the members of Ex Comm avoid arousing suspicion when visiting the White House at 9:15 at night?
(a) They all rode with Robert.
(b) They arrived at different times.
(c) Not all went to the meeting.
(d) They took the secret entrance.
3. Who unanimously pushed for immediate military action on Thursday October 18th?
(a) The Joint Chiefs of Staff.
(d) Ex Comm.
4. What was the "legal foundation" (40) for the blockade?
(a) The OAS Charter.
(b) The Cuban Peace Treaty.
(c) The UN regulations.
(d) The OSHA regulations.
5. How far was the original line of interception for the blockade?
(a) 800 miles.
(b) 8000 miles.
(c) 750 miles.
(d) 500 miles.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was U Thant?
2. When did John F. Kennedy call his brother, Robert, to the White House to discuss the photographs taken over Cuba?
3. What position did John McCloy one hold?
4. Who said, "they, no more than we, can let these things go by without doing something. They can't after all their statements, permit us to take out their missiles, kill a lot of Russians, and then do nothing. If they don't take action in Cuba, they certainly will in Berlin" (28)?
5. What did the intelligence community tell JFK on September 19th, regarding the possibility of Russians putting offensive weapons in Cuba?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information did the Intelligence Community have about the missiles in September, but did not inform the President about at that time? Why were they not passed on?
2. Why does RFK defend Adlai Stevenson's suggestion?
3. What did Adlai Stevenson suggest was a third option for the President to consider? Why was it rejected?
4. How did Ex Comm formulate their recommendations to the President?
5. Why does JFK bring up the book The Guns of August by Barbara Tuchman?
6. Why is the "great danger and risk in all of this . . . a miscalculation -- a mistake in judgment" (49)?
7. How did the US obtain their information about Russian activity in Cuba?
8. Why does RFK slip the President a note saying "I now know how Tojo felt when he was planning Pearl Harbor" (25)? How do the situations compare?
9. Which countries immediately supported the U.S. in the decision for a blockade? Why did JFK favor a blockade over a surgical air strike?
10. What did the military and JFK do to respond to the submarine situation?
This section contains 1,374 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)