|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Robert claim was impossible for Ex Comm to come up with when making their recommendations to JFK?
(a) An intelligent response.
(b) A unanimous vote.
(c) A dogmatism.
(d) The right answer.
2. Who suggested that the US take military action against Cuba for America's safety, not knowing about the missiles?
(a) Senator Richard B. Russell.
(b) Senator Homer E. Caphart.
(c) Senator Robert F. Kennedy.
(d) Senator J. William Fulbright.
3. What was one recommendation from the military action plan?
(a) Permission granted by the UN.
(b) A warning sent to Khrushchev.
(c) Nuclear bombardment of Russia.
(d) Nuclear bombardment of Cuba.
4. What position did John McCloy one hold?
(a) High Commissioner to Germany.
(b) Ambassador to Russia.
(c) Cheif Justice for the Supreme Court.
(d) Secretary of State.
5. What did the intelligence community tell JFK on September 19th, regarding the possibility of Russians putting offensive weapons in Cuba?
(a) Russia would not put offensive weapons in Cuba.
(b) Russia would put offensive weapons in Cuba.
(c) Russia would use offensive weapons if in Cuba.
(d) Russia would put offensive weapons in Cuba, but they would not be a threat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What disturbing news increased the danger of intercepting a Russian ship?
2. What is SAM an acronym for?
3. Who intervened with the newspapers to delay the report of the Cuban Missile Crisis?
4. When did John F. Kennedy call his brother, Robert, to the White House to discuss the photographs taken over Cuba?
5. What did Ex Comm believe would happen if they put a blockade around Cuba?
Short Essay Questions
1. What personal insights does RFK provide about JFK when they are waiting for news about the first ships meant to reach the blockade?
2. Why does RFK slip the President a note saying "I now know how Tojo felt when he was planning Pearl Harbor" (25)? How do the situations compare?
3. Why is the "great danger and risk in all of this . . . a miscalculation -- a mistake in judgment" (49)?
4. What was ironic about JFK's meeting with Soviet Foreign Minister Andrea Gromyko?
5. How did RFK feel about his fellow members of in Ex Comm?
6. What did the military and JFK do to respond to the submarine situation?
7. What did Ambassador Dobrynin provide as evidence that USSR would not be a threat to the United States?
8. How did Ex Comm formulate their recommendations to the President?
9. What other actions did the U.S. take besides the blockade?
10. What did Adlai Stevenson suggest was a third option for the President to consider? Why was it rejected?
This section contains 1,410 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)