|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Dobrynin say the Cubans resented when Robert meets with him after the U-2 was shot down?
(a) The Bay of Pigs.
(b) Violation of Cuban air space.
(d) U.S. democracy.
2. According to the Afterword, the Cuban Missile Crisis is important on how many levels?
3. Whose plane was shot down while flying reconnaissance over Cuba?
(a) Major Rudolf Anderson, Jr.
(b) Secretary Rusk.
(c) General McNamara.
(d) John Kennedy, Jr.
4. Who said "I am not going to follow a course which will allow anyone to write a comparable book about this time, The Missiles of October" (98)?
(b) Barbara Tuchman.
(c) Prince von Bulow.
5. How many passengers were on the East German Passenger ship that approached the blockade?
(a) Fifteen hundered.
(b) One thousand.
(c) One hundered.
6. At what time did the long and personal letter from Khrushchev come on October 26th?
7. During the Cuban Missile Crisis, what role did Congress play?
(a) They helped formulate ideas.
(b) They were informed.
(c) They declared war.
(d) Some were members of Ex Comm.
8. What is the crisis a microcosm for according to the authors of the Afterword?
(a) The workings of democracy.
(b) Problems of the nuclear age.
(c) The inevitability of nuclear war.
(d) Problems of the modern American Presidency.
9. Where did JFK say, "Above all, while defending our own vital interests, nuclear powers must avert those confrontations which bring an adversary to the choice of either a humiliating defeat or a nuclear war" (97)?
(a) American University.
(b) Cornell University.
(c) Harvard University.
(d) Princeton University.
10. What does Robert claim can "best be judged by conflict, by debate" (86)?
11. Who said, "I have participated in two wars and know that war ends when it has rolled through cities and villages, everywhere sowing death and destruction" (67)?
(c) General McCone.
12. What was the name of the first ship boarded at the blockade?
(a) John Pierce.
13. Which country does Robert identify that originally doubted the U.S.'s position regarding Cuba?
(a) Great Britain.
14. According to Khrushchev, who are the only people who would provoke war in today's nuclear world?
(c) Morons and aggressors.
(d) Lunatics and suicides.
15. What did JFK believe was the likelihood of nuclear war when dealing with the Cuban Missile Crisis?
(a) Ninety percent.
(b) Fifty - fifty.
(c) One in ten.
(d) One in three.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did JFK originally want to remove the missiles from Turkey?
2. Who urged the President to release photos of missiles to the UN for publication?
3. Which two countries in Africa did JFK seek support from during the missile crisis?
4. Who wrote the letter responding to Khrushchev's first letter?
5. Who was the Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation at the time of the Cuban Missile Crisis?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)