|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the Afterword, the Cuban Missile Crisis is important on how many levels?
2. What does Robert believe had a "major psychological and practical effect on the Russians and changed our position . . . into a country acting in accordance with twenty allies legally protecting their position" (92)?
(a) Support from the OAS.
(b) Congressional approval.
(c) The African countries voicing support.
(d) A declaration of war.
3. When JFK says, "this is the night I should go to the theater" (84), what famous historical figure is he referencing?
(a) Harry S. Truman.
(b) Abraham Lincoln.
(c) Dwight D. Eisenhower.
(d) Martin Luther King Jr.
4. Whose job does Robert believe is getting bigger and is in actuality five jobs under one title?
(a) The Head of State.
(b) The CIA.
(c) The Presidency.
(d) The Secretary of State.
5. What two items were added to the embargo list after the successful boarding of the Marucla?
(a) Baby food and bread.
(b) Petroleum oil and lubricants.
(c) Gasoline and automobiles.
(d) Weapons and steele.
6. According to Khrushchev, who are the only people who would provoke war in today's nuclear world?
(b) Morons and aggressors.
(d) Lunatics and suicides.
7. What does Robert suggest the President use to get an opposite opinion if no one else will offer it?
(a) Random uninterested parties.
(b) A devil's advocate.
(d) A sponsor.
8. How many Russian submarines were in the Caribbean after the blockade took effect?
9. Who said, "I have participated in two wars and know that war ends when it has rolled through cities and villages, everywhere sowing death and destruction" (67)?
(d) General McCone.
10. Who was George Ball?
(a) The Secretary of State.
(b) Chief of Staff.
(c) Former Ambassador to Cuba.
(d) The Under Secretary of State.
11. At what time did the long and personal letter from Khrushchev come on October 26th?
12. What was the "final lesson" (95) learned from the Cuban Missile Crisis?
(a) Retreat when necessary.
(b) Push the opponent into a corner.
(c) Hold out until the last minute.
(d) See the opponents' perspective.
13. How many passengers were on the East German Passenger ship that approached the blockade?
(a) One thousand.
(c) Fifteen hundered.
(d) One hundered.
14. What is the crisis a microcosm for according to the authors of the Afterword?
(a) Problems of the nuclear age.
(b) The workings of democracy.
(c) The inevitability of nuclear war.
(d) Problems of the modern American Presidency.
15. Who does JFK write to after the Russians agree to remove missiles from Cuba?
(c) Mrs. Onasis.
(d) Mrs. Anderson.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Joint Chief of Staff suggest the U.S. do to respond to the letter sent October 27th?
2. What did JFK believe was the likelihood of nuclear war when dealing with the Cuban Missile Crisis?
3. What does the change in attitude from the letter received on the 26th and the letter received on the 27th suggest?
4. Which country does Robert identify that originally doubted the U.S.'s position regarding Cuba?
5. What did Robert promise to do with his daughters on October 28th?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)