|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Robert believe often leads to war?
2. What might have happened to the President if he had not acted?
(d) Public humiliation.
3. What statement did the Russians make public on September 11th?
(a) They would put missiles in any country they want.
(b) The missiles already in Cuba would remain there.
(c) They had no intention of putting missiles in Cuba.
(d) Russia made no statement.
4. After the announcement to the nation, how often would Ex Comm meet?
(a) Every day at 10:00 a.m.
(b) As needed.
(c) Once a week.
(d) Every four hours.
5. Who unanimously pushed for immediate military action on Thursday October 18th?
(a) Ex Comm.
(b) The Joint Chiefs of Staff.
6. What does Robert claim was impossible for Ex Comm to come up with when making their recommendations to JFK?
(a) The right answer.
(b) A dogmatism.
(c) An intelligent response.
(d) A unanimous vote.
7. What did Adlai Stevenson suggest that offended many members of Ex Comm?
(a) JFK should hold a summit before any action is taken.
(b) The nuclear bombardment of Cuba.
(c) Both a blockade and an air strike.
(d) The U.S. remove weapons from other countries in exchange for Russian removal of missiles.
8. What did Ex Comm believe would happen if they put a blockade around Cuba?
(a) Cuba would give up.
(b) Russia would put a blockade around Berlin.
(c) Russia would use nuclear force.
(d) Cuba would bomb the naval fleet.
9. How far was the original line of interception for the blockade?
(a) 800 miles.
(b) 8000 miles.
(c) 500 miles.
(d) 750 miles.
10. What position did Robert hold in the Kennedy administration?
(a) Attorney General.
(b) Secretary of Defense.
(d) Press Secretary.
11. What did JFK order into the air at all times until the crisis was over?
(a) Nothing, all of the action was at sea for the blockade.
(b) Helicopters with anti-missile equipment.
(c) B-52 bombers with atomic weapons.
(d) U-2's to take photographs.
12. How did the members of Ex Comm avoid arousing suspicion when visiting the White House at 9:15 at night?
(a) They all rode with Robert.
(b) They arrived at different times.
(c) Not all went to the meeting.
(d) They took the secret entrance.
13. What did JFK ask in a letter to Khrushchev after ordering the blockade?
(a) All missiles to be handed over.
(b) For Khrushchev to leave Berlin out of their deliberations.
(c) For Khrushchev to observe the quarantine.
(d) All shipes to turn back.
14. Why did JFK change the line of interception for the blockade?
(a) To buy time.
(b) To tighten the line.
(c) To show force.
(d) For safety.
15. Before the announcement could be made that there was a Cuban Missile Crisis, what did the press report on instead of the crisis?
(a) The OAS meeting.
(b) The secret meetings of Ex Comm.
(c) The President would make a speech.
(d) The normal news.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which branch of government does Robert believe rank often plays a role?
2. What was one recommendation from the military action plan?
3. What type of non-fiction is Thirteen Days?
4. What was JFK's feeling after meeting with a Russian representative after learning about missiles in Cuba?
5. Who publicly confronted Soviet Union Ambassador V. A. Zorin?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)