|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Thirteen Days, pgs. 106-150.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What hit the U-2 plane that was flying reconnaissance over Cuba?
2. What paradox does Neustadt and Allison claim exists that the Constitution attempted to solve?
(a) Nuclear paradox.
(b) Paradox of victory.
(c) Freedom paradox.
(d) Paradox of rulership.
3. What book had JFK recently read that had to do with miscalculations leading to war?
(a) The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich.
(b) The Guns of August.
(c) The Dangerous Summer.
4. What is one reason that the President may not include Congress in his decision making?
(a) The Congress is too divided.
(b) Distrust of opponents.
(c) The President does not require advice.
(d) Need for secrecy.
5. What did Ex Comm believe would happen if they put a blockade around Cuba?
(a) Russia would put a blockade around Berlin.
(b) Cuba would give up.
(c) Russia would use nuclear force.
(d) Cuba would bomb the naval fleet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was one requirement of the blockade plan?
2. What is the crisis a microcosm for according to the authors of the Afterword?
3. According to the afterword, there was the potential that what may have triggered nuclear war?
4. According to all of the discussions of removing missiles from Cuba, who would oversee the removal to be sure it was done?
5. Who testified to Congress in 1964 that "in the first hour [of all-out nuclear war] one hundred million Americans and one hundred million Russians would be killed" (104)?
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)