|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What leads Sarah to Jack Elliot?
2. What does Sarah say she spends most of her time doing after having her second daughter?
3. What does Sarah say Lockwood and his wife do constantly?
4. What does Sarah name her second baby?
5. What does Jack plant for Sarah?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when a man threatens Melissa on the road to the fort?
2. What helps Savannah to recover after her complicated labor?
3. What does Sarah first say Jack proposes, and why?
4. What does Sarah hate most about her first home at the fort?
5. What does Sarah tell Jack when he returns from the fort?
6. What happens while Jack is away tracking some train robbers?
7. What kind of gift does Jack bring for April?
8. What does Sarah make to sell in town?
9. What does Sarah say she sees after losing her daughter?
10. How does Jack die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Maturity and aging were strong themes in this book. Where did these themes appear, and how significant were they to the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Each of Sarah's siblings had very different characteristics and personalities. What are the defining features of each of the siblings, and how did their individuality affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Sarah was married twice in her life, and both husbands died while working. Please compare and contrast these two marriages, and how these two deaths affected Sarah.
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)