|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does April do that makes Jack laugh?
2. How does Savannah describe Sarah on her wedding day?
3. Where does Melissa live after her father is killed?
4. How does Sarah wound one of the men who rob a train?
5. Why does Sarah agree to move with Jack?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sarah hate most about her first home at the fort?
2. Who helps Sarah with her daily tasks while she is at the fort?
3. What does Sarah tell Jack when he returns from the fort?
4. What does Jack say just before he dies?
5. How did Jack's mother die?
6. What does April do when Sarah moves back to the ranch?
7. What does Sarah find while preparing for her move to the fort?
8. What does Sarah think about while she waits for Jack to return on her wedding night?
9. Why does Jack say he helped Sarah around her house so much just before the 4th of July?
10. What does Sarah first say Jack proposes, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters who are touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
Sarah had a few different homes with Jack, but kept moving back to the ranch when given the opportunity. What was it about the ranch that drew her in, and how did Jack feel about this connection between Sarah and the ranch?
Essay Topic 3
Security and safety were two themes that were touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)