|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Sarah's last name?
2. Why does Sarah stay the night at Jimmy's house after telling him of the baby?
3. What meal does Jimmy make for Sarah when she comes to tell him about the baby?
4. How do Sarah's parents feel after Clover's death?
5. Who is The Duchess of Warwick?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes the smoke in the wagon that scares Sarah?
2. What does Sarah find on Christmas Day while with the wagon train?
3. What happens when a woman has a still-born child on the wagon train, and why?
4. What does Jimmy do just before he dies?
5. What happens when Sarah finds a mutilated woman on the trail?
6. What is Sarah's biggest hope about her move to San Angelo?
7. What happens just as the family gets to San Angelo?
8. What does Mother talk to Sarah about before cutting out her new dress in the material from Tuscon?
9. What does Sarah do when she is killing a chicken?
10. Why does Mama say Sarah had such a hard time recovering after having her daughter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sarah had a few different homes with Jack, but kept moving back to the ranch when given the opportunity. What was it about the ranch that drew her in, and how did Jack feel about this connection between Sarah and the ranch?
Essay Topic 2
What happened when Father died, and what significance did this have on the plot? Who was involved in tragedy there, and what did this monumental event symbolize?
Essay Topic 3
Each of Sarah's siblings had very different characteristics and personalities. What are the defining features of each of the siblings, and how did their individuality affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)