|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Captain Elliot return something to Sarah when her family starts to settle?
2. What is Sarah doing when Jimmy proposes?
3. What does Sarah write when she falls ill?
4. What does Ernest brag about when he is with the other men?
5. What wedding gift does Albert give Sarah and Jimmy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sarah give for Christmas presents while traveling with the wagon train?
2. What does Albert announce shortly after arriving in San Angelo?
3. What happens when Sarah finds a mutilated woman on the trail?
4. What does Sarah say about her baby on her first Christmas?
5. How does Sarah feel when Ernest and Captain Elliot leave the family?
6. What happens to Rose, and how does Sarah respond to this?
7. What happens when a woman has a still-born child on the wagon train, and why?
8. Why does Mama say Sarah had such a hard time recovering after having her daughter?
9. What is Sarah's biggest hope about her move to San Angelo?
10. How does Jimmy die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sarah was married twice in her life, and both husbands died while working. Please compare and contrast these two marriages, and how these two deaths affected Sarah.
Essay Topic 2
Love was a very important theme and motivating factor in this book. Which characters were most affected by this theme? Which relationships were the most significant to the plot, and why?
Essay Topic 3
Maturity and aging were strong themes in this book. Where did these themes appear, and how significant were they to the plot?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)