|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Captain Elliot return something to Sarah when her family starts to settle?
(a) He wants her to become educated.
(b) He cared too much for her mother.
(c) She saved the Army the cost of caring for the horses.
(d) She was an example of patriotism.
2. What does Jimmy want Sarah to keep records of?
(a) The eggs they sell.
(b) The foals born.
(c) Her cycles.
(d) Their finances.
3. What had one of the slaughterers been doing to Sarah before the event?
(a) Making eyes at her.
(b) Talking in low voices.
(c) Whittling a sharp knife.
(d) Staying drunk all the time.
4. Who is The Duchess of Warwick?
(a) A woman in a song.
(b) A character from a book.
(c) A person from Sarah's dreams.
(d) An influential leader at the time.
5. Where is Ernest being sent to fight the Indians?
(d) The Dakotas.
6. What does Sarah name her daughter?
7. What does Harlan think his mother might do someday?
(a) Marry again.
(b) Thank Sarah.
(d) Come to her senses.
8. What page number of a story does Sarah find?
9. How does Sarah see Ernest after he loses a leg?
(a) Fearful and alone.
(b) Strong and courageous.
(c) Young and helpless.
(d) Weak and shallow.
10. What happens to Ulyssa when she is sent to fetch water?
(a) She is kidnapped.
(b) She is raped.
(c) She is beaten.
(d) She is killed.
11. What kind of leg does Ernest make for himself?
12. What material is the dress on the story-page made of?
13. What does Ernest brag about when he is with the other men?
(a) His tolerance for pain.
(b) His tracking ability.
(c) His intelligence.
(d) His shooting ability.
14. Who comes to court Mother?
(a) Captain Elliot.
(b) Major Arnold.
(c) Admiral Houston.
(d) Lietenant Daniels.
15. What creek does the family settle by?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Captain Elliot return to Sarah when the family starts to settle?
2. Where do claims for land have to be filed?
3. What does Jimmy have to build on to his house after he and Sarah are married?
4. Why does Sarah plan to hide her dogs from the men?
5. What does Sarah sleep with while staying at Jimmy's house?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)