|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Kino's home in Chapter 5?
2. What cities does Kino tell Juana to go to in Chapter 6, while they continue evading the trackers?
3. Where does Kino suggest to go once he and his family are in the mountains?
4. What does Juana grab to help protect Kino against the attack after Juan leaves?
5. What does Juana do when she hears Kino coming after her in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What motivation do the pearl buyers have to purchase the great pearl at a low price?
2. After the attack in the dark in Chapter 5, Kino believes the pearl is gone, but who finds it?
3. When Kino says, "I am a man" to Juana, what does that mean to her?
4. How does Coyotito get shot?
5. What happened before when the pearl buyers got together and tried to have a pearl representative take their goods to the capital?
6. What do the neighbors fear will happen to Kino after finding the giant pearl?
7. Where does Kino want to go after he leaves Juan Tomas's house in Chapter 5?
8. Describe the place where Juana and Kino spend the day in Chapter 6 while they are on the run.
9. Describe the clothing of Juana, Coyotito and Kino on the day of the pearl sale.
10. Describe the water Kino's family finds while on the run in Chapter 6.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The name of the town is "La Paz" which means The Peace in Spanish. Explain the significance of the town's name. Is this an appropriate or ironic name for Kino's town? Explain why you feel the way you do.
Essay Topic 2
Rewrite the ending of the novel, starting when Kino stabs the dark figure on the path.
How does Kino eventually solve the problem of the pearl? Where does the family live now that their house has been burned and their canoe destroyed? What reprecussions does Kino suffer because he has a large pearl yet stabbed a man while defending himself?
Essay Topic 3
What does the capital represent to the villagers and to Kino?
1.) How does Kino find the trek to the capital -- a path where every step is filled with the unknown?
2.) How do the pearl buyers feel about the capital?
3.) Why do few villagers travel to the capital, although they could possibly get a better deal for their pearls?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)