|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does the first pearl buyer offer Kino?
2. In Chapter 5, what does Juan tell Kino to do with the pearl?
3. Which is not an animal near the mountain spring?
4. What does Juana say when Kino leaves to kill the trackers?
5. How does Kino react to Juana's moving the pearl?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do all the divers leave their canoes on the beach the morning after Kino's big pearl find?
2. Why does Kino wear his straw hat at a specific angle while trying to sell his pearl?
3. What do the neighbors fear will happen to Kino after finding the giant pearl?
4. Why does Juana try to destroy the pearl after their failed attempt at selling it?
5. Where does Kino tell Apolonia that he is not dead?
6. What happens to the gold coin of the pearl buyer when Kino enters the room in Chapter 4?
7. Describe the place where Juana and Kino spend the day in Chapter 6 while they are on the run.
8. What motivation do the pearl buyers have to purchase the great pearl at a low price?
9. Why do Juana and Kino run in the wagon tracks?
10. Name some of the things the other villagers say they would do if they had the great pearl.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Initially in the novel, Kino finds his sense of security and hope in his family, his hut, and his canoe. How is his sense of security and comfort redefined after he finds the pearl?
1.) How does the pearl change Kino's dreams for his family?
2.) How does the pearl change his relationship with his family, especially with Juana who was previously a huge source of comfort to him?
Essay Topic 2
Social status is a common theme in the novel. What are the ways that Kino is warned that striving to break out of his destined social status in life would be disastrous? What impact do the priest's stories and the story of the pearl buyer for the villagers have on Kino?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the plot structure of The Pearl. What is the inciting action that drives the plot forward? Where does the climax occur? What information is related in the falling action and denouement of the plot?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)