Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After trying to sell the pearl in Chapter 4, where does Kino hide it?
2. What happens to Kino's home in Chapter 5?
3. What does Juana bring Kino to drink after he is attacked in Chapter 4?
4. Where does Kino suggest to go once he and his family are in the mountains?
5. Who does Kino find in Chapter 5 to help save him and Juana?
Essay Topic 1
Although they rarely speak, music plays an integral role in the novel. Describe its impact on different dramatic scenes within the novel.
1.) When does Kino hear certain songs -- and why? What triggers these songs to start in his mind?
2.) How does Juana mix the ancient songs with the modern religion of Catholicism in her mind?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of powerful forces manipulating the environment is prevalent throughout the novel. Explain how the following sentence is a good example of foreshadowing in the novel:
"Kino watched with the detachment of God while a dusty ant frantically tried to escape the sand trap an ant lion had dug for him."
Essay Topic 3
What does the capital represent to the villagers and to Kino?
1.) How does Kino find the trek to the capital -- a path where every step is filled with the unknown?
2.) How do the pearl buyers feel about the capital?
3.) Why do few villagers travel to the capital, although they could possibly get a better deal for their pearls?
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)