|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Kino cut after the attack in Chapter 4?
2. What does Juana want to do with the pearl in Chapter 4?
3. After trying to sell the pearl in Chapter 4, where does Kino hide it?
4. How far away is the capital from Kino's home?
5. How does Kino know that his pearl is valuable?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kino take off his clothes in Chapter 6?
2. Describe the clothing of Juana, Coyotito and Kino on the day of the pearl sale.
3. Why do Juana and Kino run in the wagon tracks?
4. What do Juan Tomas and Kino talk about on the way to sell the pearl?
5. What is evil beyond thinking to Kino?
6. Where does Kino want to go after he leaves Juan Tomas's house in Chapter 5?
7. Describe the water Kino's family finds while on the run in Chapter 6.
8. Name some of the things the other villagers say they would do if they had the great pearl.
9. Name some of the theories Juan Tomas gives the neighbors to divert suspicion as to what happened to Kino and his family in Chapter 5.
10. Why does Juana try to destroy the pearl after their failed attempt at selling it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kino's attackers are never defined in the novel. What importance does this have? What significance would it bring to the novel if we knew who was attacking Kino? Describe how the unknown attackers influence Kino's behavior and paranoia.
Essay Topic 2
Ignorance is an unfortunate partner to racism in this novel. How does ignorance play an important role in how Kino reacts to his environment?
1.) How does Kino react when the priest mentions knowledge from the book? What is his solution?
2.) Why is Juana's seaweed poultice not seen as a valid treatment for Coyotito?
3.) Why does Kino want Coyotito to go to school?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Juan Tomas's role in the novel. He is Kino's brother, but has an important significance through the story.
1.) How does Juan Tomas feel about Kino selling the pearl? What advice does he give him?
2.) How does Juan Tomas feel about Kino running away? What can we deduce about how he feels about the pearl based on his statements?
3.) How does Juan Tomas protect his brother?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)