Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After trying to sell the pearl in Chapter 4, where does Kino hide it?
2. What happens to Kino's home in Chapter 5?
3. What does Juana bring Kino to drink after he is attacked in Chapter 4?
4. Where does Kino suggest to go once he and his family are in the mountains?
5. Who does Kino find in Chapter 5 to help save him and Juana?
Essay Topic 1
The pearl is a powerful symbol to the village. Explain the irony of how the pearls bring great wealth to the Kings of Spain, yet cannot seem to help a meager fisherman named Kino. What does the pearl represent to all men in the novel in terms of wealth?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of powerful forces manipulating the environment is prevalent throughout the novel. Explain how the following sentence is a good example of foreshadowing in the novel:
"Kino watched with the detachment of God while a dusty ant frantically tried to escape the sand trap an ant lion had dug for him."
Essay Topic 3
Kino's attackers are never defined in the novel. What importance does this have? What significance would it bring to the novel if we knew who was attacking Kino? Describe how the unknown attackers influence Kino's behavior and paranoia.
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)