|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What song is in Kino's head as he races over the mountains in Chapter 6?
2. How old is Kino's tribe?
3. Where do Kino and Juana avoid as they walk out of town in Chapter 6?
4. How does Juan protect Kino and Juana from the neighbors in Chapter 5?
5. In Chapter 5, what awakens Kino the first evening he is on the run?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Juana do when she senses Kino running after her in the dark when she is going to throw the pearl back into the sea?
2. Why does Kino wear his straw hat at a specific angle while trying to sell his pearl?
3. What motivation do the pearl buyers have to purchase the great pearl at a low price?
4. What do Juan Tomas and Kino talk about on the way to sell the pearl?
5. Name some of the things the other villagers say they would do if they had the great pearl.
6. What do the neighbors fear will happen to Kino after finding the giant pearl?
7. What happened before when the pearl buyers got together and tried to have a pearl representative take their goods to the capital?
8. Why do all the divers leave their canoes on the beach the morning after Kino's big pearl find?
9. Why do Juana and Kino run in the wagon tracks?
10. What does Kino do when the dark figure attacks him on the path back home in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the capital represent to the villagers and to Kino?
1.) How does Kino find the trek to the capital -- a path where every step is filled with the unknown?
2.) How do the pearl buyers feel about the capital?
3.) Why do few villagers travel to the capital, although they could possibly get a better deal for their pearls?
Essay Topic 2
Although they rarely speak, music plays an integral role in the novel. Describe its impact on different dramatic scenes within the novel.
1.) When does Kino hear certain songs -- and why? What triggers these songs to start in his mind?
2.) How does Juana mix the ancient songs with the modern religion of Catholicism in her mind?
Essay Topic 3
Initially in the novel, Kino finds his sense of security and hope in his family, his hut and his canoe. How is his sense of security and comfort redefined after he finds the pearl?
1.) How does the pearl change Kino's dreams for his family?
2.) How does the pearl change his relationship with his family, especially with Juana who was previously a huge source of comfort to him?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)