|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Juana bring Kino to drink after he is attacked in Chapter 4?
2. What do the fisherman do on the morning of Kino's pearl sale?
3. Where do Kino and Juana head in Chapter 6 when they leave town?
4. How does Kino react to Juana's moving the pearl?
5. Why does Kino take off his white clothes in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the gold coin of the pearl buyer when Kino enters the room in Chapter 4?
2. What motivation do the pearl buyers have to purchase the great pearl at a low price?
3. Name some of the theories Juan Tomas gives the neighbors to divert suspicion as to what happened to Kino and his family in Chapter 5.
4. Why do Juana and Kino run in the wagon tracks?
5. When Kino says, "I am a man" to Juana, what does that mean to her?
6. Why does Juana try to destroy the pearl after their failed attempt at selling it?
7. Where does Kino hope to lose the trackers?
8. Where does Kino want to go after he leaves Juan Tomas's house in Chapter 5?
9. Describe the man and trackers as they rest for the night.
10. What do Juan Tomas and Kino talk about on the way to sell the pearl?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Water is an important backdrop element in the novel. Describe the different ways that Kino and his family survive with water.
1.) How does the beach impact Kino's life?
2.) Describe the waterbed that Kino finds at the mountaintop. Why is this setting appropriate for the events that follow? Explain thoroughly.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Juan Tomas's role in the novel. He is Kino's brother, but has an important significance through the story.
1.) How does Juan Tomas feel about Kino selling the pearl? What advice does he give him?
2.) How does Juan Tomas feel about Kino running away? What can we deduce about how he feels about the pearl based on his statements?
3.) How does Juan Tomas protect his brother?
Essay Topic 3
Rewrite the ending of the novel, starting when Kino stabs the dark figure on the path.
How does Kino eventually solve the problem of the pearl? Where does the family live now that their house has been burned and their canoe destroyed? What reprecussions does Kino suffer because he has a large pearl yet stabbed a man while defending himself?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)