|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time of day do the trackers reach the pool near Kino's family?
2. Where does Kino suggest to go after the trackers pass them?
3. As Kino is preparing to leave in Chapter 5, Where does Juan tell Kino to avoid?
4. Where do Kino and Juana head in Chapter 6 when they leave town?
5. What does Juana gives Coyotito to keep him quiet when the trackers go by?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Kino hope to lose the trackers?
2. Why does Kino take off his clothes in Chapter 6?
3. What motivation do the pearl buyers have to purchase the great pearl at a low price?
4. Why does Kino wear his straw hat at a specific angle while trying to sell his pearl?
5. Where does Kino tell Apolonia that he is not dead?
6. What is Kino's plan of attack if the trackers do not pass his family on the road?
7. What does Kino do when the dark figure attacks him on the path back home in Chapter 5?
8. Name some of the things the other villagers say they would do if they had the great pearl.
9. Why do Juana and Kino run in the wagon tracks?
10. How do the pearl buyers operate to buy a pearl?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Water is an important backdrop element in the novel. Describe the different ways that Kino and his family survive with water.
1.) How does the beach impact Kino's life?
2.) Describe the waterbed that Kino finds at the mountaintop. Why is this setting appropriate for the events that follow? Explain thoroughly.
Essay Topic 2
Ignorance is an unfortunate partner to racism in this novel. How does ignorance play an important role in how Kino reacts to his environment?
1.) How does Kino react when the priest mentions knowledge from the book? What is his solution?
2.) Why is Juana's seaweed poultice not seen as a valid treatment for Coyotito?
3.) Why does Kino want Coyotito to go to school?
Essay Topic 3
The name of the town is "La Paz" which means The Peace in Spanish. Explain the significance of the town's name. Is this an appropriate or ironic name for Kino's town? Explain why you feel the way you do.
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)