|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Juan protect Kino and Juana from the neighbors in Chapter 5?
2. With what hand does the pearl buyer play with the gold coin before Kino arrives?
3. Where do Kino and Juana avoid as they walk out of town in Chapter 6?
4. When does Kino hear the trackers coming towards him and his family in Chapter 6?
5. When Juana hears Kino say "I am a man" what does she think he is?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kino take off his clothes in Chapter 6?
2. After the attack in the dark in Chapter 5, Kino believes the pearl is gone, but who finds it?
3. What do Juan Tomas and Kino talk about on the way to sell the pearl?
4. Why does Kino wear his straw hat at a specific angle while trying to sell his pearl?
5. What does Juana do when she senses Kino running after her in the dark when she is going to throw the pearl back into the sea?
6. Why does Juana try to destroy the pearl after their failed attempt at selling it?
7. What happens to the gold coin of the pearl buyer when Kino enters the room in Chapter 4?
8. Where does Kino want to go after he leaves Juan Tomas's house in Chapter 5?
9. Describe the water Kino's family finds while on the run in Chapter 6.
10. What is evil beyond thinking to Kino?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kino's attackers are never defined in the novel. What importance does this have? What significance would it bring to the novel if we knew who was attacking Kino? Describe how the unknown attackers influence Kino's behavior and paranoia.
Essay Topic 2
At one point in the novel, the villagers pretend what they would do if they had the great pearl. All of their hypothetical situations involve charity or helping other people. How does this contrast to Kino and his dreams? Do you think their dreams are truly what they would do if they had the pearl? How do their hypothetical dreams versus Kino's announced goals put a tension between him and his village?
Essay Topic 3
The canoe holds high importance in the life of the villagers. How does Kino feel about his canoe? How does he react when it is no longer available for him? Why do the villagers hold such a high importance on their canoes? What do the canoes symbolize to them?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)