|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Kino take off his white clothes in Chapter 6?
2. Where does Kino suggest to go after the trackers pass them?
3. Who raises a formal lament for the presumed death of Kino and Juana?
4. Where does Kino's family hide in the daytime while they are running away?
5. What is the name of Kino's town?
Short Essay Questions
1. Name some of the things the other villagers say they would do if they had the great pearl.
2. Where does Kino want to go after he leaves Juan Tomas's house in Chapter 5?
3. What is Kino's plan of attack if the trackers do not pass his family on the road?
4. Why does Juana try to destroy the pearl after their failed attempt at selling it?
5. Why does Kino wear his straw hat at a specific angle while trying to sell his pearl?
6. Describe the water Kino's family finds while on the run in Chapter 6.
7. What does Kino do when the dark figure attacks him on the path back home in Chapter 5?
8. What motivation do the pearl buyers have to purchase the great pearl at a low price?
9. What do the neighbors fear will happen to Kino after finding the giant pearl?
10. Describe the place where Juana and Kino spend the day in Chapter 6 while they are on the run.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ignorance is an unfortunate partner to racism in this novel. How does ignorance play an important role in how Kino reacts to his environment?
1.) How does Kino react when the priest mentions knowledge from the book? What is his solution?
2.) Why is Juana's seaweed poultice not seen as a valid treatment for Coyotito?
3.) Why does Kino want Coyotito to go to school?
Essay Topic 2
Although they rarely speak, music plays an integral role in the novel. Describe its impact on different dramatic scenes within the novel.
1.) When does Kino hear certain songs -- and why? What triggers these songs to start in his mind?
2.) How does Juana mix the ancient songs with the modern religion of Catholicism in her mind?
Essay Topic 3
Pretend you are an outsider that has recently moved to the town. Which area of town would you like to live in -- and why? Who would be your friends? With your outsider's perspective, what advice would you give to Kino and his village? What changes to the pearl buying structure could you recommend to the town to make it a more fair transaction for the divers, while also giving the pearl buyers a better opportunity to advance on their own without fear of a boss?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)