|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the lowest amount of money offered to Kino for the pearl?
2. What does Juana do when she hears Kino coming after her in Chapter 5?
3. What does Juana plead for after Kino is attacked in Chapter 4?
4. What does Juana grab to help protect Kino against the attack after Juan leaves?
5. After he is attacked in Chapter 4, what does Kino vow to do in the morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Kino's plan of attack if the trackers do not pass his family on the road?
2. How does Coyotito get shot?
3. Why does Kino take off his clothes in Chapter 6?
4. What do the neighbors fear will happen to Kino after finding the giant pearl?
5. Where does Kino want to go after he leaves Juan Tomas's house in Chapter 5?
6. How do the pearl buyers operate to buy a pearl?
7. Where does Kino hope to lose the trackers?
8. What motivation do the pearl buyers have to purchase the great pearl at a low price?
9. After the attack in the dark in Chapter 5, Kino believes the pearl is gone, but who finds it?
10. What happens in Kino's dream in Chapter 6 while on the run?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although they rarely speak, music plays an integral role in the novel. Describe its impact on different dramatic scenes within the novel.
1.) When does Kino hear certain songs -- and why? What triggers these songs to start in his mind?
2.) How does Juana mix the ancient songs with the modern religion of Catholicism in her mind?
Essay Topic 2
Kino's attackers are never defined in the novel. What importance does this have? What significance would it bring to the novel if we knew who was attacking Kino? Describe how the unknown attackers influence Kino's behavior and paranoia.
Essay Topic 3
At one point in the novel, the villagers pretend what they would do if they had the great pearl. All of their hypothetical situations involve charity or helping other people. How does this contrast to Kino and his dreams? Do you think their dreams are truly what they would do if they had the pearl? How do their hypothetical dreams versus Kino's announced goals put a tension between him and his village?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)