|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Juana want to do with the pearl in Chapter 4?
2. When does Kino hear the trackers coming towards him and his family in Chapter 6?
3. What cities does Kino tell Juana to go to in Chapter 6, while they continue evading the trackers?
4. What does Kino watch after he and his family have eaten their breakfast in Chapter 6?
5. Who does Kino find in Chapter 5 to help save him and Juana?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the neighbors fear will happen to Kino after finding the giant pearl?
2. What is Kino's plan of attack if the trackers do not pass his family on the road?
3. When Kino says, "I am a man" to Juana, what does that mean to her?
4. What happens in Kino's dream in Chapter 6 while on the run?
5. Why does Kino wear his straw hat at a specific angle while trying to sell his pearl?
6. Describe the place where Juana and Kino spend the day in Chapter 6 while they are on the run.
7. What is evil beyond thinking to Kino?
8. What motivation do the pearl buyers have to purchase the great pearl at a low price?
9. What do Juan Tomas and Kino talk about on the way to sell the pearl?
10. What does Kino do when the dark figure attacks him on the path back home in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Initially in the novel, Kino finds his sense of security and hope in his family, his hut and his canoe. How is his sense of security and comfort redefined after he finds the pearl?
1.) How does the pearl change Kino's dreams for his family?
2.) How does the pearl change his relationship with his family, especially with Juana who was previously a huge source of comfort to him?
Essay Topic 2
Water is an important backdrop element in the novel. Describe the different ways that Kino and his family survive with water.
1.) How does the beach impact Kino's life?
2.) Describe the waterbed that Kino finds at the mountaintop. Why is this setting appropriate for the events that follow? Explain thoroughly.
Essay Topic 3
One of Kino's dreams is to own a rifle. After he says this, the villagers react in awe and even Juana is amazed at his bravery. Why is this dream of owning a rifle an ironic wish once the end of the story is over? What does the rifle symbolize to Kino and the villagers and what role does it ultimately represent in the novel?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)