Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After trying to sell the pearl in Chapter 4, where does Kino hide it?
2. What happens to Kino's home in Chapter 5?
3. What does Juana bring Kino to drink after he is attacked in Chapter 4?
4. Where does Kino suggest to go once he and his family are in the mountains?
5. Who does Kino find in Chapter 5 to help save him and Juana?
Essay Topic 1
The pearl is a powerful symbol to the village. Explain the irony of how the pearls bring great wealth to the Kings of Spain, yet cannot seem to help a meager fisherman named Kino. What does the pearl represent to all men in the novel in terms of wealth?
Essay Topic 2
At one point in the novel, the villagers pretend what they would do if they had the great pearl. All of their hypothetical situations involve charity or helping other people. How does this contrast to Kino and his dreams? Do you think their dreams are truly what they would do if they had the pearl? How do their hypothetical dreams versus Kino's announced goals put a tension between him and his village?
Essay Topic 3
The name of the town is "La Paz" which means The Peace in Spanish. Explain the significance of the town's name. Is this an appropriate or ironic name for Kino's town? Explain why you feel the way you do.
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)