|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens after Kino reacts to Juana moving the pearl in Chapter 5?
2. How does Juana react when she sees the dead man in Chapter 5?
3. What is in front of every pearl buyer?
4. Who does Kino find in Chapter 5 to help save him and Juana?
5. After Kino grabs the pearl from Juana in Chapter 5, what does he do?
Essay Topic 1
The doctor represents quack medicine and trickery in the novel. How does the villagers' ignorance allow the doctor to get away with his scams? What is the doctor motivated by? How does this motivation affect Kino and his family?
Essay Topic 2
One of Kino's dreams is to own a rifle. After he says this, the villagers react in awe and even Juana is amazed at his bravery. Why is this dream of owning a rifle an ironic wish once the end of the story is over? What does the rifle symbolize to Kino and the villagers and what role does it ultimately represent in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Juan Tomas's role in the novel. He is Kino's brother, but has an important significance through the story.
1.) How does Juan Tomas feel about Kino selling the pearl? What advice does he give him?
2.) How does Juan Tomas feel about Kino running away? What can we deduce about how he feels about the pearl based on his statements?
3.) How does Juan Tomas protect his brother?
This section contains 1,382 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)