|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After trying to sell the pearl in Chapter 4, where does Kino hide it?
2. What happens to Kino's home in Chapter 5?
3. What does Juana bring Kino to drink after he is attacked in Chapter 4?
4. Where does Kino suggest to go once he and his family are in the mountains?
5. Who does Kino find in Chapter 5 to help save him and Juana?
Essay Topic 1
The town is described as a colonial animal. How does this metaphor affect the novel?
1.) Describe how news travels in the town.
2.) Describe how the town works together in certain situations. Does it seems that there is a division between Kino and his family versus the town and villagers? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Social status is a common theme in the novel. What are the ways that Kino is warned that striving to break out of his destined social status in life would be disastrous? What impact do the priest's stories and the story of the pearl buyer for the villagers have on Kino?
Essay Topic 3
The doctor represents quack medicine and trickery in the novel. How does the villagers' ignorance allow the doctor to get away with his scams? What is the doctor motivated by? How does this motivation affect Kino and his family?
This section contains 1,363 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)