|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Kino tells Juan that if he gives up the pearl, he will also lose ______________.
2. Which songs are in Kino's head as he sneaks up on the trackers?
3. What makes Kino very afraid in Chapter 5?
4. in Chapter 5, why can Kino not leave via his canoe?
5. What does Juana plead for after Kino is attacked in Chapter 4?
Essay Topic 1
Rewrite the ending of the novel, starting when Kino stabs the dark figure on the path.
How does Kino eventually solve the problem of the pearl? Where does the family live now that their house has been burned and their canoe destroyed? What reprecussions does Kino suffer because he has a large pearl yet stabbed a man while defending himself?
Essay Topic 2
Social status is a common theme in the novel. What are the ways that Kino is warned that striving to break out of his destined social status in life would be disastrous? What impact do the priest's stories and the story of the pearl buyer for the villagers have on Kino?
Essay Topic 3
The name of the town is "La Paz" which means The Peace in Spanish. Explain the significance of the town's name. Is this an appropriate or ironic name for Kino's town? Explain why you feel the way you do.
This section contains 1,393 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)