|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the first ones to arrive after Coyotito is stung?
2. What color is the ribbon that Juana ties her braids with?
3. What does Kino use to open his oyster?
4. What does Juana say when she sees the large oyster in Kino's hand in Chapter 2?
5. Why does Juana get upset when she takes the poultice off Coyotito in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the town call the pearl when they hear about it?
2. What do the people of the Gulf trust?
3. Why does Juana not believe the poultice to be a good solution for Coyotito?
4. How does Juana react when she sees the pearl for the first time?
5. Where is the big oyster located underwater?
6. In Chapter 3, when others think about Kino's pearl, how do they think of Kino himself?
7. Describe how Juana mixes the ancient beliefs and Christianity together.
8. Describe Kino and Juana's home.
9. How long can Kino stay underwater without problem?
10. What do the other canoeists do when they hear Kino's howl of happiness after finding his giant pearl?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The canoe holds high importance in the life of the villagers. How does Kino feel about his canoe? How does he react when it is no longer available for him? Why do the villagers hold such a high importance on their canoes? What do the canoes symbolize to them?
Essay Topic 2
Kino's attackers are never defined in the novel. What importance does this have? What significance would it bring to the novel if we knew who was attacking Kino? Describe how the unknown attackers influence Kino's behavior and paranoia.
Essay Topic 3
Although they rarely speak, music plays an integral role in the novel. Describe its impact on different dramatic scenes within the novel.
1.) When does Kino hear certain songs -- and why? What triggers these songs to start in his mind?
2.) How does Juana mix the ancient songs with the modern religion of Catholicism in her mind?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)