|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the baby's name?
2. What action does Juana perform on Coyotito after he is stung?
3. What color is the shawl that Juana wears to see the doctor?
4. When the priest hears that Kino has found a pearl, what is his first thought?
5. What does Kino become when he has the pearl?
Short Essay Questions
1. Name some of the townspeople that are described as thinking about what the pearl could do for them when they hear about Kino's news.
2. What does Juana do as soon as the scorpion bites Coyotito?
3. What is considered as good as the doctor's remedy for Coyotito's shoulder?
4. What does Juana look like?
5. When does the Song of Evil first enter Kino's head?
6. Why does Juana not believe the poultice to be a good solution for Coyotito?
7. Name the two colors that make up the canoes that line the beach.
8. Why does Kino want Coyotito to go to school?
9. How long can Kino stay underwater without problem?
10. Why does ?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of powerful forces manipulating the environment is prevalent throughout the novel. Explain how the following sentence is a good example of foreshadowing in the novel:
"Kino watched with the detachment of God while a dusty ant frantically tried to escape the sand trap an ant lion had dug for him."
Essay Topic 2
At one point in the novel, the villagers pretend what they would do if they had the great pearl. All of their hypothetical situations involve charity or helping other people. How does this contrast to Kino and his dreams? Do you think their dreams are truly what they would do if they had the pearl? How do their hypothetical dreams versus Kino's announced goals put a tension between him and his village?
Essay Topic 3
Rewrite the ending of the novel, starting when Kino stabs the dark figure on the path.
How does Kino eventually solve the problem of the pearl? Where does the family live now that their house has been burned and their canoe destroyed? What reprecussions does Kino suffer because he has a large pearl yet stabbed a man while defending himself?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)