|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In addition to the bow and stern, what else is on Kino's canoe?
2. What did Kino eat one day that almost killed him?
3. What does the doctor gives Coyotito in Chapter 3?
4. How does Juana react to Kino's wildest dream about the pearl?
5. What stings Coyotito?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Kino say he will go to sell his pearl?
2. What do the other canoeists do when they hear Kino's howl of happiness after finding his giant pearl?
3. What does Juana look like?
4. What happens to Kino's home while he is being attacked by the dark figure in Chapter 5?
5. Why does Juana try to destroy the pearl after their failed attempt at selling it?
6. Describe the place where Juana and Kino spend the day in Chapter 6 while they are on the run.
7. Why do Juana and Kino run in the wagon tracks?
8. What is evil beyond thinking to Kino?
9. What does Juana do when she senses Kino running after her in the dark when she is going to throw the pearl back into the sea?
10. Name some of the dreams that Kino has with his pearl?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
For the villagers, they trust things of the spirit and things of the imagination before they will trust their own eyes. Describe how this overall belief is shown in the villagers' actions, Juana's actions and the way they react to their situation.
Essay Topic 2
The canoe holds high importance in the life of the villagers. How does Kino feel about his canoe? How does he react when it is no longer available for him? Why do the villagers hold such a high importance on their canoes? What do the canoes symbolize to them?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Juan Tomas's role in the novel. He is Kino's brother, but has an important significance through the story.
1.) How does Juan Tomas feel about Kino selling the pearl? What advice does he give him?
2.) How does Juan Tomas feel about Kino running away? What can we deduce about how he feels about the pearl based on his statements?
3.) How does Juan Tomas protect his brother?
This section contains 1,736 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)