|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who knows all the sins of the town?
2. What does Coyotito sleep in every night?
3. What two animals roam the beach looking for food every morning?
4. What did Kino eat one day that almost killed him?
5. Where does the doctor imagine the pearl will take him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kino respect his canoe so much?
2. Describe how Juana mixes the ancient beliefs and Christianity together.
3. How long can Kino stay underwater without problem?
4. Why does Kino want Coyotito to go to school?
5. How does Juana react when she sees the pearl for the first time?
6. Where is the big oyster located underwater?
7. How does word travel so fast that Kino has a great pearl?
8. What do the other canoeists do when they hear Kino's howl of happiness after finding his giant pearl?
9. Why does Juana shrill for Kino when she sees Coyotito in Chapter 2?
10. When does the Song of Evil first enter Kino's head?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
For the villagers, they trust things of the spirit and things of the imagination before they will trust their own eyes. Describe how this overall belief is shown in the villagers' actions, Juana's actions and the way they react to their situation.
Essay Topic 2
Ignorance is an unfortunate partner to racism in this novel. How does ignorance play an important role in how Kino reacts to his environment?
1.) How does Kino react when the priest mentions knowledge from the book? What is his solution?
2.) Why is Juana's seaweed poultice not seen as a valid treatment for Coyotito?
3.) Why does Kino want Coyotito to go to school?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Juan Tomas's role in the novel. He is Kino's brother, but has an important significance through the story.
1.) How does Juan Tomas feel about Kino selling the pearl? What advice does he give him?
2.) How does Juan Tomas feel about Kino running away? What can we deduce about how he feels about the pearl based on his statements?
3.) How does Juan Tomas protect his brother?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)