|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What seems to carry the sound of evil in the night wind to Kino?
2. What animal greets Kino by the fire on the evening he found the pearl?
3. What body part looks blue to the doctor on Coyotito in Chapter 3?
4. What color is Kino's hair?
5. What is referred to as the bulwark against starvation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Kino say he will go to sell his pearl?
2. How does Juana react when she sees the pearl for the first time?
3. Why does ?
4. What is considered as good as the doctor's remedy for Coyotito's shoulder?
5. How does word travel so fast that Kino has a great pearl?
6. Who are the only people happy about Kino's pearl?
7. When does the first hint of the Song of Evil come to Kino with his pearl?
8. What does the town call the pearl when they hear about it?
9. When does the Song of Evil first enter Kino's head?
10. Why does Juana not believe the poultice to be a good solution for Coyotito?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Initially in the novel, Kino finds his sense of security and hope in his family, his hut and his canoe. How is his sense of security and comfort redefined after he finds the pearl?
1.) How does the pearl change Kino's dreams for his family?
2.) How does the pearl change his relationship with his family, especially with Juana who was previously a huge source of comfort to him?
Essay Topic 2
At one point in the novel, the villagers pretend what they would do if they had the great pearl. All of their hypothetical situations involve charity or helping other people. How does this contrast to Kino and his dreams? Do you think their dreams are truly what they would do if they had the pearl? How do their hypothetical dreams versus Kino's announced goals put a tension between him and his village?
Essay Topic 3
The town is described as a colonial animal. How does this metaphor affect the novel?
1.) Describe how news travels in the town.
2.) Describe how the town works together in certain situations. Does it seems that there is a division between Kino and his family versus the town and villagers? Explain.
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)