|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has brought the King of Spain to higher power?
2. In Chapter 3, why does the doctor say he didn't see Kino this morning?
3. What do the beggars do when they hear about Kino's pearl?
4. How does Juana react to Kino's wildest dream about the pearl?
5. What is the baby's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the only people happy about Kino's pearl?
2. What does Juana look like?
3. Why do Juana and Kino run in the wagon tracks?
4. Why does Kino want Coyotito to go to school?
5. Why does Kino take off his clothes in Chapter 6?
6. What do the other canoeists do when they hear Kino's howl of happiness after finding his giant pearl?
7. Describe the water Kino's family finds while on the run in Chapter 6.
8. What happens to the gold coin of the pearl buyer when Kino enters the room in Chapter 4?
9. What does Juana ask for when Coyotito is stung?
10. Name some of the things the other villagers say they would do if they had the great pearl.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The pearl is a powerful symbol to the village. Explain the irony of how the pearls bring great wealth to the Kings of Spain, yet cannot seem to help a meager fisherman named Kino. What does the pearl represent to all men in the novel in terms of wealth?
Essay Topic 2
The canoe holds high importance in the life of the villagers. How does Kino feel about his canoe? How does he react when it is no longer available for him? Why do the villagers hold such a high importance on their canoes? What do the canoes symbolize to them?
Essay Topic 3
Ignorance is an unfortunate partner to racism in this novel. How does ignorance play an important role in how Kino reacts to his environment?
1.) How does Kino react when the priest mentions knowledge from the book? What is his solution?
2.) Why is Juana's seaweed poultice not seen as a valid treatment for Coyotito?
3.) Why does Kino want Coyotito to go to school?
This section contains 1,758 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)