|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened when the pearl buyers gave a fisherman a price that was too low?
2. What does the family eat every morning?
3. According to Chapter 3, who will punish Kino for rebelling against the way things are?
4. What color is Kino's hair?
5. What is not mentioned as something near the coast of the beach?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Juana not believe the poultice to be a good solution for Coyotito?
2. Why does Kino respect his canoe so much?
3. What is considered as good as the doctor's remedy for Coyotito's shoulder?
4. Why does Kino always have a song in his head?
5. What do the other canoeists do when they hear Kino's howl of happiness after finding his giant pearl?
6. How does Juana react when she sees the pearl for the first time?
7. Who are the only people happy about Kino's pearl?
8. How does word travel so fast that Kino has a great pearl?
9. In Chapter 3, when others think about Kino's pearl, how do they think of Kino himself?
10. What does the Song of the Family symbolize to Kino?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
For the villagers, they trust things of the spirit and things of the imagination before they will trust their own eyes. Describe how this overall belief is shown in the villagers' actions, Juana's actions and the way they react to their situation.
Essay Topic 2
The doctor represents quack medicine and trickery in the novel. How does the villagers' ignorance allow the doctor to get away with his scams? What is the doctor motivated by? How does this motivation affect Kino and his family?
Essay Topic 3
Water is an important backdrop element in the novel. Describe the different ways that Kino and his family survive with water.
1.) How does the beach impact Kino's life?
2.) Describe the waterbed that Kino finds at the mountaintop. Why is this setting appropriate for the events that follow? Explain thoroughly.
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)