|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who watches Kino when he wakes up every morning?
2. After Kino dives in the water in Chapter 2, what song plays in his head?
3. What happened when the pearl buyers gave a fisherman a price that was too low?
4. What action does Juana perform on Coyotito after he is stung?
5. What is the thing of most value to Kino?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Kino and Juana's home.
2. What does Juana ask for when Coyotito is stung?
3. What does the Song of the Family symbolize to Kino?
4. Name the two colors that make up the canoes that line the beach.
5. Why does Kino respect his canoe so much?
6. How does word travel so fast that Kino has a great pearl?
7. How does Kino react when he sees the scorpion is about to bite Coyotito?
8. What do the people of the Gulf trust?
9. What do the other canoeists do when they hear Kino's howl of happiness after finding his giant pearl?
10. Describe how Juana mixes the ancient beliefs and Christianity together.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The doctor represents quack medicine and trickery in the novel. How does the villagers' ignorance allow the doctor to get away with his scams? What is the doctor motivated by? How does this motivation affect Kino and his family?
Essay Topic 2
The pearl is a powerful symbol to the village. Explain the irony of how the pearls bring great wealth to the Kings of Spain, yet cannot seem to help a meager fisherman named Kino. What does the pearl represent to all men in the novel in terms of wealth?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Juan Tomas's role in the novel. He is Kino's brother, but has an important significance through the story.
1.) How does Juan Tomas feel about Kino selling the pearl? What advice does he give him?
2.) How does Juan Tomas feel about Kino running away? What can we deduce about how he feels about the pearl based on his statements?
3.) How does Juan Tomas protect his brother?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)