Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes the insect that stings Coyotito fall into Coyotito's bed?
2. How long can Kino stay under the water?
3. What surprising thing does Juana do after Coyotito is stung?
4. According to Chapter 3, who will punish Kino for rebelling against the way things are?
5. When does Kino sing the Song of the Undersea?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does the first hint of the Song of Evil come to Kino with his pearl?
2. Where does Kino say he will go to sell his pearl?
3. In Chapter 3, when others think about Kino's pearl, how do they think of Kino himself?
4. What does the Song of the Family symbolize to Kino?
5. How does Juana react when she sees the pearl for the first time?
6. What do the other canoeists do when they hear Kino's howl of happiness after finding his giant pearl?
7. What does the town call the pearl when they hear about it?
8. Describe Kino and Juana's home.
9. How does word travel so fast that Kino has a great pearl?
10. Name some of the townspeople that are described as thinking about what the pearl could do for them when they hear about Kino's news.
Essay Topic 1
The name of the town is "La Paz" which means The Peace in Spanish. Explain the significance of the town's name. Is this an appropriate or ironic name for Kino's town? Explain why you feel the way you do.
Essay Topic 2
The town is described as a colonial animal. How does this metaphor affect the novel?
1.) Describe how news travels in the town.
2.) Describe how the town works together in certain situations. Does it seems that there is a division between Kino and his family versus the town and villagers? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Juan Tomas's role in the novel. He is Kino's brother, but has an important significance through the story.
1.) How does Juan Tomas feel about Kino selling the pearl? What advice does he give him?
2.) How does Juan Tomas feel about Kino running away? What can we deduce about how he feels about the pearl based on his statements?
3.) How does Juan Tomas protect his brother?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)