Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes the insect that stings Coyotito fall into Coyotito's bed?
2. How long can Kino stay under the water?
3. What surprising thing does Juana do after Coyotito is stung?
4. According to Chapter 3, who will punish Kino for rebelling against the way things are?
5. When does Kino sing the Song of the Undersea?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does the first hint of the Song of Evil come to Kino with his pearl?
2. Where does Kino say he will go to sell his pearl?
3. In Chapter 3, when others think about Kino's pearl, how do they think of Kino himself?
4. What does the Song of the Family symbolize to Kino?
5. How does Juana react when she sees the pearl for the first time?
6. What do the other canoeists do when they hear Kino's howl of happiness after finding his giant pearl?
7. What does the town call the pearl when they hear about it?
8. Describe Kino and Juana's home.
9. How does word travel so fast that Kino has a great pearl?
10. Name some of the townspeople that are described as thinking about what the pearl could do for them when they hear about Kino's news.
Describe Juan Tomas's role in the novel. He is Kino's brother, but has an important significance through the story.
1.) How does Juan Tomas feel about Kino selling the pearl? What advice does he give him?
2.) How does Juan Tomas feel about Kino running away? What can we deduce about how he feels about the pearl based on his statements?
3.) How does Juan Tomas protect his brother?
Initially in the novel, Kino finds his sense of security and hope in his family, his hut and his canoe. How is his sense of security and comfort redefined after he finds the pearl?
1.) How does the pearl change Kino's dreams for his family?
2.) How does the pearl change his relationship with his family, especially with Juana who was previously a huge source of comfort to him?
Pretend you are an outsider that has recently moved to the town. Which area of town would you like to live in -- and why? Who would be your friends? With your outsider's perspective, what advice would you give to Kino and his village? What changes to the pearl buying structure could you recommend to the town to make it a more fair transaction for the divers, while also giving the pearl buyers a better opportunity to advance on their own without fear of a boss?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)