|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Juana react to Kino's wildest dream about the pearl?
2. What did Kino eat one day that almost killed him?
3. What song plays when Kino sees Juana making corncakes in Chapter 3?
4. What do the villagers not trust to show them clear lines and boundaries?
5. What song roars in Kino's ears after the sting?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do the divers find their goods to sell?
2. Where does Kino tell Apolonia that he is not dead?
3. Name some of the things the other villagers say they would do if they had the great pearl.
4. When does the first hint of the Song of Evil come to Kino with his pearl?
5. What does Juana ask for when Coyotito is stung?
6. What is Kino's plan of attack if the trackers do not pass his family on the road?
7. Describe the man and trackers as they rest for the night.
8. Describe the clothing of Juana, Coyotito and Kino on the day of the pearl sale.
9. How do the pearl buyers operate to buy a pearl?
10. What does Juana look like?
Essay Topic 1
One of Kino's dreams is to own a rifle. After he says this, the villagers react in awe and even Juana is amazed at his bravery. Why is this dream of owning a rifle an ironic wish once the end of the story is over? What does the rifle symbolize to Kino and the villagers and what role does it ultimately represent in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Pretend you are an outsider that has recently moved to the town. Which area of town would you like to live in -- and why? Who would be your friends? With your outsider's perspective, what advice would you give to Kino and his village? What changes to the pearl buying structure could you recommend to the town to make it a more fair transaction for the divers, while also giving the pearl buyers a better opportunity to advance on their own without fear of a boss?
Essay Topic 3
The town is described as a colonial animal. How does this metaphor affect the novel?
1.) Describe how news travels in the town.
2.) Describe how the town works together in certain situations. Does it seems that there is a division between Kino and his family versus the town and villagers? Explain.
This section contains 1,736 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)