|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a pearl made from?
2. What does Juana pray for before they go out searching for pearls that morning in Chapter 2?
3. What does Juana say when she sees the large oyster in Kino's hand in Chapter 2?
4. What does Kino imagine that Coyotito will wear after he buys new clothes?
5. Who paddles Kino's canoe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is the big oyster located underwater?
2. Name some of the dreams that Kino has with his pearl?
3. Who are the only people happy about Kino's pearl?
4. When does the Song of Evil first enter Kino's head?
5. Why does Kino respect his canoe so much?
6. Where does Kino say he will go to sell his pearl?
7. What do the other canoeists do when they hear Kino's howl of happiness after finding his giant pearl?
8. What does Juana do as soon as the scorpion bites Coyotito?
9. Why does Kino want Coyotito to go to school?
10. What does the Song of the Family symbolize to Kino?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Juan Tomas's role in the novel. He is Kino's brother, but has an important significance through the story.
1.) How does Juan Tomas feel about Kino selling the pearl? What advice does he give him?
2.) How does Juan Tomas feel about Kino running away? What can we deduce about how he feels about the pearl based on his statements?
3.) How does Juan Tomas protect his brother?
Essay Topic 2
Kino's attackers are never defined in the novel. What importance does this have? What significance would it bring to the novel if we knew who was attacking Kino? Describe how the unknown attackers influence Kino's behavior and paranoia.
Essay Topic 3
What does the capital represent to the villagers and to Kino?
1.) How does Kino find the trek to the capital -- a path where every step is filled with the unknown?
2.) How do the pearl buyers feel about the capital?
3.) Why do few villagers travel to the capital, although they could possibly get a better deal for their pearls?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)