|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the water in Chapter 2 as Kino is diving?
2. What animal greets Kino by the fire on the evening he found the pearl?
3. What song is in Kino's head when he wakes up?
4. What song plays when Kino sees Juana making corncakes in Chapter 3?
5. What surprising thing does Juana do after Coyotito is stung?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kino want Coyotito to go to school?
2. Who are the only people happy about Kino's pearl?
3. Name some of the dreams that Kino has with his pearl?
4. How does Juana react when she sees the pearl for the first time?
5. When does the Song of Evil first enter Kino's head?
6. How does Kino react when he sees the scorpion is about to bite Coyotito?
7. Where does Kino say he will go to sell his pearl?
8. Why does ?
9. What does Juana ask for when Coyotito is stung?
10. What is considered as good as the doctor's remedy for Coyotito's shoulder?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
For the villagers, they trust things of the spirit and things of the imagination before they will trust their own eyes. Describe how this overall belief is shown in the villagers' actions, Juana's actions and the way they react to their situation.
Essay Topic 2
The doctor represents quack medicine and trickery in the novel. How does the villagers' ignorance allow the doctor to get away with his scams? What is the doctor motivated by? How does this motivation affect Kino and his family?
Essay Topic 3
The name of the town is "La Paz" which means The Peace in Spanish. Explain the significance of the town's name. Is this an appropriate or ironic name for Kino's town? Explain why you feel the way you do.
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)