|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened when the pearl buyers gave a fisherman a price that was too low?
2. What does Kino imagine that Coyotito will wear after he buys new clothes?
3. What payment does Kino offer the doctor?
4. What does Kino do when he sees the pearl in Chapter 2?
5. Where is the town located near?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kino always have a song in his head?
2. Where does Kino say he will go to sell his pearl?
3. How does word travel so fast that Kino has a great pearl?
4. What does the town call the pearl when they hear about it?
5. In Chapter 3, when others think about Kino's pearl, how do they think of Kino himself?
6. Name some of the dreams that Kino has with his pearl?
7. When does the Song of Evil first enter Kino's head?
8. How long can Kino stay underwater without problem?
9. Where is the big oyster located underwater?
10. Who are the only people happy about Kino's pearl?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Water is an important backdrop element in the novel. Describe the different ways that Kino and his family survive with water.
1.) How does the beach impact Kino's life?
2.) Describe the waterbed that Kino finds at the mountaintop. Why is this setting appropriate for the events that follow? Explain thoroughly.
Essay Topic 2
Race is an important theme throughout the novel. Discuss how race is shown and how this tension causes problems for Kino and his family.
1.) How would a less-biased response from the doctor or his servant at the gate affected the rest of the story? Would the outcome be different if the doctor had treated Coyotito from his scorpion bite initially?
2.) How do the pearl buyers represent the oppression that a biased social structure brings to the community? How do they work against the divers and prevent a fair deal?
3.) How does this racial situation affect Kino's response to the dead man he stabbed?
Essay Topic 3
The name of the town is "La Paz" which means The Peace in Spanish. Explain the significance of the town's name. Is this an appropriate or ironic name for Kino's town? Explain why you feel the way you do.
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)