|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has brought the King of Spain to higher power?
2. Why does Juana get upset when she takes the poultice off Coyotito in Chapter 2?
3. What payment does Kino offer the doctor?
4. What is the name of the main character?
5. What is Kino's first promise spoken out loud when asked about the pearl?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Juana mixes the ancient beliefs and Christianity together.
2. Why does Kino respect his canoe so much?
3. What do the other canoeists do when they hear Kino's howl of happiness after finding his giant pearl?
4. Who are the only people happy about Kino's pearl?
5. Why does Juana shrill for Kino when she sees Coyotito in Chapter 2?
6. What does the town call the pearl when they hear about it?
7. When does the Song of Evil first enter Kino's head?
8. What does the Song of the Family symbolize to Kino?
9. What does Juana look like?
10. Describe Kino and Juana's home.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
For the villagers, they trust things of the spirit and things of the imagination before they will trust their own eyes. Describe how this overall belief is shown in the villagers' actions, Juana's actions and the way they react to their situation.
Essay Topic 2
Kino's attackers are never defined in the novel. What importance does this have? What significance would it bring to the novel if we knew who was attacking Kino? Describe how the unknown attackers influence Kino's behavior and paranoia.
Essay Topic 3
The name of the town is "La Paz" which means The Peace in Spanish. Explain the significance of the town's name. Is this an appropriate or ironic name for Kino's town? Explain why you feel the way you do.
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)