|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is evil beyond thinking to Kino?
(a) Killing an animal.
(b) Leaving his home.
(c) Killing a boat.
(d) Killing a man.
2. What does Juana say when Kino leaves to kill the trackers?
(a) Good riddance.
(b) Ancient magic and Hail Mary prayers.
(c) Incoherent mumbling.
(d) The Lord's Prayer.
3. What does one pearl buyer call the great pearl?
(a) A monstrosity.
(b) A beautiful thing of great value.
(c) A surprise.
(d) A fake concoction made by Juana.
4. What is the last thing Juan and Kino say before parting in Chapter 4?
(a) An ancient ritual.
(b) The Lord's Prayer.
(c) They don't talk, only shake hands.
(d) "Go with God."
5. In Chapter 5, why can Kino not leave via his canoe?
(a) He doesn't want to risk getting lost in the sea.
(b) There is a huge hole in it.
(c) Someone has lit a fire on it.
(d) Someone has stolen it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Juana plead for after Kino is attacked in Chapter 4?
2. What cities does Kino tell Juana to go to in Chapter 6, while they continue evading the trackers?
3. Which songs are in Kino's head as he and his family are running away in Chapter 6?
4. Which one of these things was not borrowed by Juan for Kino?
5. Where does Kino plan to go after he leaves Juan's home in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What motivation do the pearl buyers have to purchase the great pearl at a low price?
2. When Kino says, "I am a man" to Juana, what does that mean to her?
3. What does Kino do when the dark figure attacks him on the path back home in Chapter 5?
4. What happens to Kino's home while he is being attacked by the dark figure in Chapter 5?
5. What does Juana do when she senses Kino running after her in the dark when she is going to throw the pearl back into the sea?
6. What is evil beyond thinking to Kino?
7. Why do Juana and Kino run in the wagon tracks?
8. What happens in Kino's dream in Chapter 6 while he is on the run?
9. Describe the man and trackers as they rest for the night.
10. Name some of the theories Juan Tomas gives the neighbors to divert suspicion as to what happened to Kino and his family in Chapter 5.
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)