|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Juana do to protect herself from the evil night air?
(a) She covers one side of her nose with her shawl.
(b) She does an ancient dance.
(c) She drinks an ancient potion.
(d) She sings an ancient ritual song.
2. Kino tells Juan that if he gives up the pearl, he will also lose ______________.
(a) his soul.
(b) His livelihood.
(c) His son's chance to go to school.
(d) His happiness.
3. When Juana hears Kino say "I am a man" what does she think he is?
(a) Pure happiness.
(b) Half insane and half god.
(c) Pure ego.
4. In Chapter 4, where does Kino threaten to go to get a better price on his pearl?
(a) To another town.
(b) To the capital.
(c) To come back tomorrow.
(d) To another country.
5. What makes Kino very afraid in Chapter 5?
(a) The neighbor's screams.
(b) The light from the fire burning his house.
(c) The beach.
(d) The pearl.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 5, what does Juan tell Kino to do with the pearl?
2. How does Juana keep Coyotito quiet during the day in Chapter 5?
3. Where does the old man in the village ride to see Kino on his way to sell the pearl?
4. What does the welcoming pearl buyer put by his desk in Chapter 4?
5. What material makes up the homes by Kino's hut?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Kino's plan of attack if the trackers do not pass his family on the road?
2. Why do all the divers leave their canoes on the beach the morning after Kino's big pearl find?
3. Where does Kino tell Apolonia that he is not dead?
4. What do the neighbors fear will happen to Kino after finding the giant pearl?
5. How do the pearl buyers operate to buy a pearl?
6. Why does Kino take off his clothes in Chapter 6?
7. Why does Juana try to destroy the pearl after their failed attempt at selling it?
8. What does Juana do when she senses Kino running after her in the dark when she is going to throw the pearl back into the sea?
9. How does Coyotito get shot?
10. Name some of the things the other villagers say they would do if they had the great pearl.
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)