|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Kino and Juana do when they walk back into town at the end of the novel?
(a) Take Coyotito to the doctor.
(b) Visit the priest.
(c) Throw their pearl into the sea.
(d) Go to Juan's home.
2. After Kino grabs the pearl from Juana in Chapter 5, what does he do?
(a) He hugs her.
(b) He kisses her.
(c) He buries the pearl in the sand.
(d) He hits her in the face and kicks her in the side.
3. What do Kino and Juan Tomas fear, as revealed in Chapter 4?
4. How does Juana keep Coyotito quiet during the day in Chapter 5?
(a) She smothers him.
(b) She mutters ancient sayings over him.
(c) She constantly feeds him.
(d) She stuffs dirt in his mouth.
5. What is the name of Kino's town?
(b) La Paz.
(c) La Truce.
(d) The name is not given.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Juana want to do with the pearl in Chapter 4?
2. Who does Kino find in Chapter 5 to help save him and Juana?
3. What is in front of every pearl buyer at the market?
4. In Chapter 4, where does Kino threaten to go to get a better price on his pearl?
5. After he is attacked in Chapter 4, what does Kino vow to do in the morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the pearl buyers operate to buy a pearl?
2. Where does Kino hope to lose the trackers? Why?
3. What happens in Kino's dream in Chapter 6 while he is on the run?
4. What happened before when the pearl buyers got together and tried to have a pearl representative take their goods to the capital?
5. The place where Kino and his family find water in Chapter 6 is a place of life because it where all animals gather; it is also a place of killing. There is not much water at the spot.
6. Describe the man and trackers as they rest for the night.
7. When Kino says, "I am a man" to Juana, what does that mean to her?
8. Describe the water Kino's family finds while on the run in Chapter 6. What does the water symbolize?
9. Describe the place where Juana and Kino spend the day in Chapter 6 while they are on the run.
10. Why does Kino take off his clothes in Chapter 6?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)