|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Juana get upset when she takes the poultice off Coyotito in Chapter 2?
(a) The poultice has changed colors.
(b) The poultice has infected his body.
(c) His body is now blue.
(d) The poison has receded from his body.
2. When the pearl is brought to town, it holds all the men's dreams and desires.. and what else?
(a) A curious dark residue.
(b) All their money.
(c) only happiness.
(d) A bright light.
3. What is not something the doctor threatens will happen to Coyotito because of the insect sting?
(a) Crumpled Back.
(b) Withered Leg.
4. What is Kino's canoe made from?
(c) Broken shells made smooth.
(d) Waterproof plaster.
5. What is the thing of most value to Kino?
(a) His canoe.
(b) His carving stick.
(c) His snorkeling gear.
(d) His home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the main character?
2. Which of these things is described in Chapter 2 as being on the bottom of the sea?
3. What is referred to as the bulwark against starvation?
4. What is the name of the wife in the story?
5. Who paddles Kino's canoe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Name some of the things the other villagers say they would do if they had the great pearl.
2. Where does Kino hope to lose the trackers?
3. Name the two colors that make up the canoes that line the beach.
4. Why does Kino always have a song in his head?
5. Why does Juana shrill for Kino when she sees Coyotito in Chapter 2?
6. What does the Song of the Family symbolize to Kino?
7. What do the people of the Gulf trust?
8. What does Juana ask for when Coyotito is stung?
9. In Chapter 3, when others think about Kino's pearl, how do they think of Kino himself?
10. Why does Juana try to destroy the pearl after their failed attempt at selling it?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)