|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the town compared to in Chapter 3?
(a) A dog.
(b) A colonial animal.
(c) The beach sand.
(d) A forest.
2. What does Kino do with the insect after it bites Coyotito?
(a) Tries to pick it up.
(b) Beats it with a rock.
(c) Mashes it into a paste in his hands.
(d) Nothing; he's too stunned.
3. What action does Juana perform on Coyotito after he is stung?
(a) Rubs the puncture wound with her hand.
(b) Puts a mixed concoction on the area.
(c) Sucks the puncture wound.
(d) Slaps his wound area.
4. What is the name of the wife in the story?
5. What does Juana pray for before they go out searching for pearls that morning in Chapter 2?
(a) To find a pearl that will save Coyotito.
(b) That the priest will bless Coyotito.
(c) That Coyotito will miraculously recover on his own.
(d) That the doctor will come back to save Coyotito.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Chapter 3, who will punish Kino for rebelling against the way things are?
2. After Kino dives in the water in Chapter 2, what song plays in his head?
3. Who knows all the sins of the town?
4. What is Kino's wildest dream about the pearl?
5. What do the beggars do when they hear about Kino's pearl?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Juana react when she sees the pearl for the first time?
2. When does the first hint of the Song of Evil come to Kino with his pearl?
3. Why does Juana not believe the poultice to be a good solution for Coyotito?
4. How long can Kino stay underwater without problem?
5. Where is the big oyster located underwater?
6. What does Juana do as soon as the scorpion bites Coyotito?
7. What does the Song of the Family symbolize to Kino?
8. Describe Kino and Juana's home.
9. Why does Kino want Coyotito to go to school?
10. Why does Kino respect his canoe so much?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)