|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who raises a formal lament for the presumed death of Kino and Juana?
(c) The priest.
(d) Every woman in the village.
2. Where is Kino cut after the attack in Chapter 4?
(a) His legs.
(b) His face.
(c) His shoulder.
(d) His back.
3. After he is attacked in Chapter 4, what does Kino vow to do in the morning?
(a) Avenge his attackers.
(b) Take the canoe to the capital.
(c) Have a town meeting.
(d) Go back to the pearl buyers.
4. What does Juana gives Coyotito to keep him quiet when the trackers go by?
(a) Her breast for feeding.
(b) A piece of candy.
(c) A twig.
(d) A corncake.
5. Where does Kino put his knife before he goes to kill the trackers?
(a) In his pocket.
(b) By Juana's side for protection.
(c) On his amulet neck string.
(d) In a holder on his arm.
6. Why does Juan believe the bad wind to be good for Kino?
(a) It will cover his tracks.
(b) It will blow the evil from him.
(c) It will protect him from too much heat.
(d) It will blow him towards a good destination.
7. What do Kino and Juana do when they walk back into town at the end of the novel?
(a) Go to Juan's home.
(b) Throw their pearl into the sea.
(c) Take Coyotito to the doctor.
(d) Visit the priest.
8. What do Kino and Juana walk in in to avoid their footsteps being seen in the dirt?
(a) A cart's wheel path.
(c) A river.
9. Which is not an animal near the mountain spring?
10. Kino tells Juan that if he gives up the pearl, he will also lose ______________.
(a) his soul.
(b) His happiness.
(c) His livelihood.
(d) His son's chance to go to school.
11. As Kino is preparing to leave in Chapter 5, Where does Juan tell Kino to avoid?
(a) The capital.
(b) The mountains.
(c) The town.
(d) The shore.
12. What does Kino watch after he and his family have eaten their breakfast in Chapter 6?
(a) Fish swimming.
(b) Birds in the trees.
(c) The nearby town activity.
(d) Ants marching.
13. To what does Kino compare himself in Chapter 5, after losing his house?
(b) Poverty itself.
(c) A pain.
(d) A fire.
14. What is the lowest amount of money offered to Kino for the pearl?
(a) 15 pesos.
(b) Ten pesos.
(c) 500 pesos.
(d) Two pesos.
15. Where does Kino plan to go after he leaves Juan's home in Chapter 5?
(a) To the Capital.
(b) Out into the sea.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Kino say attacked him in Chapter 5?
2. How many pearl buyers are there for Kino?
3. What do Kino and Juan Tomas fear, as revealed in Chapter 4?
4. What is evil beyond thinking to Kino?
5. How many men are tracking the Kino and his family after they run away?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)