|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Juana react when she sees the dead man in Chapter 5?
(a) She realizes they must save themselves.
(b) She screams and runs away.
(c) She walks over him and continues home.
(d) She throws sand over him to try and bury him.
2. What is in front of every pearl buyer?
(a) A money purse.
(b) Black stones.
(c) A little black velvet tray.
(d) A piece of smooth wood.
3. What does Juana do to protect herself from the evil night air?
(a) She covers one side of her nose with her shawl.
(b) She sings an ancient ritual song.
(c) She drinks an ancient potion.
(d) She does an ancient dance.
4. How does Kino react to Juana's moving the pearl?
(a) He is relieved.
(b) He is filled with rage.
(c) He is surprised but calm.
(d) He is ecstatic.
5. How long is the knife Juan hands to Kino in Chapter 5?
(a) Five inches.
(b) Ten inches.
(c) Eighteen inches.
(d) Two inches.
6. As Kino is preparing to leave in Chapter 5, Where does Juan tell Kino to avoid?
(a) The capital.
(b) The shore.
(c) The town.
(d) The mountains.
7. How does Juan protect Kino and Juana from the neighbors in Chapter 5?
(a) He bars his door.
(b) He hands them all of his money.
(c) He gives them a rifle.
(d) He goes out and makes theories about what happened.
8. What attacks Kino after Juan leaves in Chapter 4?
(a) A rabid dog.
(c) An unknown person.
(d) The doctor.
9. Why does the watcher shoot his rifle?
(a) He wants to silence the coyote cry.
(b) He is going after Kino.
(c) He sees Coyotito.
(d) He wants to make sure it works.
10. What is the lowest amount of money offered to Kino for the pearl?
(a) 500 pesos.
(b) 15 pesos.
(c) Ten pesos.
(d) Two pesos.
11. What does Juan Tomas do when he sees Kino and Juana on the run?
(a) Yells at him.
(b) Welcomes them into his home for the day.
(c) Finds the police and shows them where Kino is hiding.
(d) Tries to steal his pearl.
12. With what hand does the pearl buyer play with the gold coin before Kino arrives?
(a) He doesn't play with the coin at all.
(b) His right hand.
(c) Both hands.
(d) His left hand.
13. Where does the old man in the village ride to see Kino on his way to sell the pearl?
(a) On the back of the goat.
(b) On a donkey.
(c) on a chariot.
(d) On the shoulders of his nephew.
14. What is the last thing Juan and Kino say before parting in Chapter 4?
(a) An ancient ritual.
(b) The Lord's Prayer.
(c) They don't talk, only shake hands.
(d) "Go with God."
15. What is the name of Kino's town?
(a) The name is not given.
(c) La Truce.
(d) La Paz.
Short Answer Questions
1. What cities does Kino tell Juana to go to in Chapter 6, while they continue evading the trackers?
2. When Juana hears Kino say "I am a man" what does she think he is?
3. In Chapter 4, where does Kino threaten to go to get a better price on his pearl?
4. Which songs are in Kino's head as he and his family are running away in Chapter 6?
5. After he is attacked in Chapter 4, what does Kino vow to do in the morning?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)