|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Kino still keep the pearl despite all that happens in Chapter 5?
(a) He wants to sell it.
(b) He feels it will save him.
(c) He wants to keep it from the neighbors.
(d) He feels it is his misfortune and must bear it.
2. Where do Kino and Juana head in Chapter 6 when they leave town?
(a) Towards the United States.
(b) Towards Loreto.
(c) Towards the mountaintops.
(d) Towards the beach again.
3. What is the highest offer Kino gets for his pearl in Chapter 4?
(a) Fifty pesos.
(b) Two dollars.
(c) Two million pesos.
(d) Fifteen hundred pesos.
4. In Chapter 5, what does Juan tell Kino to do with the pearl?
(a) Throw it in the water.
(b) Smash it.
(c) Bury it in the sand.
(d) Sell it quickly.
5. What does one pearl buyer call the great pearl?
(a) A surprise.
(b) A fake concoction made by Juana.
(c) A beautiful thing of great value.
(d) A monstrosity.
6. What is the lowest amount of money offered to Kino for the pearl?
(a) 15 pesos.
(b) 500 pesos.
(c) Ten pesos.
(d) Two pesos.
7. What gives Kino a strong sense of protection during his and his family's running escape in Chapter 6?
(a) The ancient magic.
(b) A large stone he is carrying.
(c) His knife.
(d) His rifle.
8. Where does Kino place Juana and Coyotito for the night while in the moutains in Chapter 6?
(a) By a large rock.
(b) Under a tree.
(c) In a shallow cave.
(d) In a massive cave that holds cave water.
9. What makes the watcher stop to listen to the night sounds in Chapter 6?
(a) A cricket chirps loudly.
(b) A bird screaming.
(c) Coyotito's cries.
(d) A woman screams.
10. What is evil beyond thinking to Kino?
(a) Killing a man.
(b) Killing a boat.
(c) Killing an animal.
(d) Leaving his home.
11. After trying to sell the pearl in Chapter 4, where does Kino hide it?
(a) In a corner of his hut.
(b) Under Coyotito's body in his hanging box.
(c) Under his bed.
(d) Under the stone in the fire hole.
12. Which one of these things was not borrowed by Juan for Kino?
(a) A rifle.
(b) A bag of red beans and rice.
(c) A long knife.
(d) A block of salt.
13. How does Juan protect Kino and Juana from the neighbors in Chapter 5?
(a) He bars his door.
(b) He gives them a rifle.
(c) He hands them all of his money.
(d) He goes out and makes theories about what happened.
14. How many pearl buyers are there for Kino?
15. How many men are tracking the Kino and his family after they run away?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Kino and Juana walk in in to avoid their footsteps being seen in the dirt?
2. What does Kino watch after he and his family have eaten their breakfast in Chapter 6?
3. Where does Kino put his knife before he goes to kill the trackers?
4. Who raises a formal lament for the presumed death of Kino and Juana?
5. What does Juana grab to help protect Kino against the attack after Juan leaves?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)