|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Juana hears Kino say "I am a man" what does she think he is?
(a) Pure happiness.
(b) Half insane and half god.
(c) Pure ego.
2. What animal are the trackers using to track Kino and his family in Chapter 6?
(a) A bird.
(b) A goat.
(c) A dog.
(d) A horse.
3. What do Kino and Juana walk in in to avoid their footsteps being seen in the dirt?
(b) A river.
(c) A cart's wheel path.
4. Who is the only man that can walk by Kino?
(a) The priest.
(b) The oldest man in the village.
(c) Juan Tomas.
(d) The sheriff.
5. Where does Kino's family hide in the daytime while they are running away?
(a) By the road where deer have previously lain.
(b) In a deserted house.
(c) Under a large tree.
(d) Near the riverbank.
6. What makes Kino very afraid in Chapter 5?
(a) The pearl.
(b) The beach.
(c) The light from the fire burning his house.
(d) The neighbor's screams.
7. What do Kino and Juan Tomas fear, as revealed in Chapter 4?
8. What gives Kino a strong sense of protection during his and his family's running escape in Chapter 6?
(a) His rifle.
(b) A large stone he is carrying.
(c) His knife.
(d) The ancient magic.
9. What does one pearl buyer call the great pearl?
(a) A fake concoction made by Juana.
(b) A surprise.
(c) A monstrosity.
(d) A beautiful thing of great value.
10. How does Kino know where the trackers are around their fire?
(a) He has a torch.
(b) One of the men lights a match.
(c) Their fire is very bright.
(d) The morning sun comes up.
11. What is the lowest amount of money offered to Kino for the pearl?
(a) 500 pesos.
(b) 15 pesos.
(c) Two pesos.
(d) Ten pesos.
12. In Chapter 5, why can Kino not leave via his canoe?
(a) Someone has lit a fire on it.
(b) There is a huge hole in it.
(c) Someone has stolen it.
(d) He doesn't want to risk getting lost in the sea.
13. Why does Kino hesitate to attack the watcher in Chapter 6?
(a) The moon comes out.
(b) The watcher sees him.
(c) The watcher hears him.
(d) Another tracker wakes up and distracts him.
14. What happens to Kino's home in Chapter 5?
(a) It is ransacked and burned.
(b) It is bulldozed.
(c) They allow another family to live inside it.
(d) The neighbors all stand around it, waiting for Kino to return.
15. What article of clothing says a lot about Kino's mood?
(a) His sandals.
(b) His pants.
(c) His boots.
(d) His straw hat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Kino and Juana do when they walk back into town at the end of the novel?
2. Where do Kino and Juana avoid as they walk out of town in Chapter 6?
3. After he is attacked in Chapter 4, what does Kino vow to do in the morning?
4. What does the welcoming pearl buyer put by his desk in Chapter 4?
5. Which song does Kino not sing in his head throughout the novel?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)