|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Kino suggest to go after the trackers pass them?
(a) Back to Juan's house.
(b) Back to town.
(c) The mountains.
(d) To the beach.
2. After he is attacked in Chapter 4, what does Kino vow to do in the morning?
(a) Go back to the pearl buyers.
(b) Take the canoe to the capital.
(c) Have a town meeting.
(d) Avenge his attackers.
3. Who raises a formal lament for the presumed death of Kino and Juana?
(a) Every woman in the village.
(c) The priest.
4. Which songs are in Kino's head as he and his family are running away in Chapter 6?
(a) Song of Hope and Song of the Pearl.
(b) Song of Evil and Song of the Pearl.
(c) Song of Hope and Song of Happiness.
(d) Song of the Pearl and Song of the Family.
5. What happens to Kino's home in Chapter 5?
(a) They bulldoze it.
(b) They ransack it and put a fire to it.
(c) The neighbors all stand around it, waiting for Kino to return.
(d) They allow another family to live inside it.
6. Why does the watcher shoot his rifle?
(a) He wants to make sure it works.
(b) He sees Coyotito.
(c) He wants to silence the coyote cry.
(d) He is going after Kino.
7. What article of clothing says a lot about Kino's mood?
(a) His sandals.
(b) His straw hat.
(c) His boots.
(d) His pants.
8. What does Kino watch after he and his family have eaten their breakfast in Chapter 6?
(a) Birds in the trees.
(b) Fish swimming.
(c) Ants marching.
(d) The nearby town activity.
9. What do Kino and Juana walk in in to avoid their footsteps being seen in the dirt?
(a) A cart's wheel path.
(b) A river.
10. What makes the watcher stop to listen to the night sounds in Chapter 6?
(a) A woman screams.
(b) A cricket chirps loudly.
(c) A bird screaming.
(d) Coyotito's cries.
11. What do Kino and Juan Tomas fear, as revealed in Chapter 4?
12. Kino tells Juan that if he gives up the pearl, he will also lose ______________.
(a) His livelihood.
(b) His happiness.
(c) His son's chance to go to school.
(d) his soul.
13. What does Juan Tomas do when he sees Kino and Juana on the run?
(a) Tries to steal his pearl.
(b) Finds the police and shows them where Kino is hiding.
(c) Welcomes them into his home for the day.
(d) Yells at him.
14. What does Juana grab to help protect Kino against the attack after Juan leaves?
(a) A stone from the fire hole.
(b) A sharp knife.
(c) A large stick.
(d) Her shoe.
15. What cities does Kino tell Juana to go to in Chapter 6, while they continue evading the trackers?
(a) Loreto or San Rosalia.
(b) The capital.
(c) The Texas.
(d) Their town.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far away is the capital from Kino's home?
2. Where does Kino plan to go after he leaves Juan's home in Chapter 5?
3. As Kino is preparing to leave in Chapter 5, Where does Juan tell Kino to avoid?
4. What is the lowest amount of money offered to Kino for the pearl?
5. Where does Kino suggest to go once he and his family are in the mountains?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)