|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Juan protect Kino and Juana from the neighbors in Chapter 5?
(a) He hands them all of his money.
(b) He gives them a rifle.
(c) He goes out and makes theories about what happened.
(d) He bars his door.
2. What does Juana want to do with the pearl in Chapter 4?
(a) Throw it into the sea.
(b) Give it to Juan Tomas.
(c) Crush it between two stones.
(d) Give it to the church.
3. After trying to sell the pearl in Chapter 4, where does Kino hide it?
(a) In a corner of his hut.
(b) Under the stone in the fire hole.
(c) Under Coyotito's body in his hanging box.
(d) Under his bed.
4. Where do Kino and Juana watch their house being destroyed in Chapter 5?
(a) From the street.
(b) From the cracks in Juan's home.
(c) From the beach coast.
(d) From the mountain cliffs.
5. What does Juana say when Kino leaves to kill the trackers?
(a) Ancient magic and Hail Mary prayers.
(b) Incoherent mumbling.
(c) Good riddance.
(d) The Lord's Prayer.
6. How does Kino know that his pearl is valuable?
(a) He would not have been attacked otherwise.
(b) He hears it talking to him.
(c) He believes it in his soul.
(d) He got it appraised earlier.
7. Why does Juan believe the bad wind to be good for Kino?
(a) It will blow the evil from him.
(b) It will cover his tracks.
(c) It will blow him towards a good destination.
(d) It will protect him from too much heat.
8. What makes Kino very afraid in Chapter 5?
(a) The beach.
(b) The pearl.
(c) The neighbor's screams.
(d) The light from the fire burning his house.
9. Which songs are in Kino's head as he and his family are running away in Chapter 6?
(a) Song of Hope and Song of the Pearl.
(b) Song of Hope and Song of Happiness.
(c) Song of the Pearl and Song of the Family.
(d) Song of Evil and Song of the Pearl.
10. Where does Kino suggest to go after the trackers pass them?
(a) Back to town.
(b) The mountains.
(c) Back to Juan's house.
(d) To the beach.
11. When does Kino hear the trackers coming towards him and his family in Chapter 6?
(a) When they yell at him.
(b) In his delirium.
(c) In his dream.
(d) After breakfast.
12. What attacks Kino after Juan leaves in Chapter 4?
(a) The doctor.
(b) A rabid dog.
(c) An unknown person.
13. Why does Kino hesitate to attack the watcher in Chapter 6?
(a) Another tracker wakes up and distracts him.
(b) The watcher hears him.
(c) The moon comes out.
(d) The watcher sees him.
14. What time of day do the trackers reach the pool near Kino's family?
(a) Late Evening.
(c) Early morning.
15. Which one of these things was not borrowed by Juan for Kino?
(a) A long knife.
(b) A rifle.
(c) A bag of red beans and rice.
(d) A block of salt.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the welcoming pearl buyer put by his desk in Chapter 4?
2. Why does Kino still keep the pearl despite all that happens in Chapter 5?
3. How does Kino react to Juana's moving the pearl?
4. Why does Kino take off his white clothes in Chapter 6?
5. Who does Kino find in Chapter 5 to help save him and Juana?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)