|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Kino tells Juan that if he gives up the pearl, he will also lose ______________.
(a) his soul.
(b) His livelihood.
(c) His son's chance to go to school.
(d) His happiness.
2. How does Kino react to Juana's moving the pearl?
(a) He is filled with rage.
(b) He is surprised but calm.
(c) He is relieved.
(d) He is ecstatic.
3. How does Juan protect Kino and Juana from the neighbors in Chapter 5?
(a) He bars his door.
(b) He goes out and makes theories about what happened.
(c) He gives them a rifle.
(d) He hands them all of his money.
4. How long is the knife Juan hands to Kino in Chapter 5?
(a) Five inches.
(b) Two inches.
(c) Eighteen inches.
(d) Ten inches.
5. What do the fisherman do on the morning of Kino's pearl sale?
(a) They leave their canoes on the beach.
(b) They rush out to find the next great pearl.
(c) They ransack his house.
(d) They fight each other to use his canoe.
6. In Chapter 5, what does Juan tell Kino to do with the pearl?
(a) Sell it quickly.
(b) Throw it in the water.
(c) Bury it in the sand.
(d) Smash it.
7. Who does Kino find in Chapter 5 to help save him and Juana?
(b) A pearl buyer.
(c) The priest.
(d) The doctor.
8. Who raises a formal lament for the presumed death of Kino and Juana?
(b) The priest.
(d) Every woman in the village.
9. What does the welcoming pearl buyer put by his desk in Chapter 4?
(a) A small knife.
(b) A silver pen.
(c) A wad of money.
(d) A scarlet hibiscus flower.
10. Where does Kino suggest to go after the trackers pass them?
(a) Back to Juan's house.
(b) To the beach.
(c) Back to town.
(d) The mountains.
11. What article of clothing says a lot about Kino's mood?
(a) His boots.
(b) His straw hat.
(c) His sandals.
(d) His pants.
12. In Chapter 5, what awakens Kino the first evening he is on the run?
(a) Coyotito screaming.
(b) A sea full screaming.
(c) Neighbors throwing rocks.
(d) Juana removing the pearl from its hiding spot.
13. What does Juana do when she hears Kino coming after her in Chapter 5?
(a) She runs.
(b) She turns and faces him.
(c) She throws a rock at him.
(d) She jumps in the water.
14. Which one of these things was not borrowed by Juan for Kino?
(a) A long knife.
(b) A block of salt.
(c) A bag of red beans and rice.
(d) A rifle.
15. What attacks Kino after Juan leaves in Chapter 4?
(a) The doctor.
(b) A rabid dog.
(c) An unknown person.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Kino and Juana walk in in to avoid their footsteps being seen in the dirt?
2. Which is not an animal near the mountain spring?
3. Who does Kino say attacked him in Chapter 5?
4. What does Juana plead for after Kino is attacked in Chapter 4?
5. What animal are the trackers using to track Kino and his family in Chapter 6?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)