|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which song does Kino not sing in his head throughout the novel?
(a) Song of the Family.
(b) Song of the Hopeful.
(c) Song of Evil.
(d) Song of the Pearl that Might Be.
2. To what does Kino compare himself in Chapter 5, after losing his house?
(b) A fire.
(c) A pain.
(d) Poverty itself.
3. Who does Kino say attacked him in Chapter 5?
(a) The doctor.
(b) The dogs.
(c) The other neighbors.
(d) The dark ones.
4. With what hand does the pearl buyer play with the gold coin before Kino arrives?
(a) He doesn't play with the coin at all.
(b) His right hand.
(c) His left hand.
(d) Both hands.
5. Where does the old man in the village ride to see Kino on his way to sell the pearl?
(a) On the back of the goat.
(b) On a donkey.
(c) On the shoulders of his nephew.
(d) on a chariot.
6. How many pearl buyers are there for Kino?
7. Which one of these things was not borrowed by Juan for Kino?
(a) A block of salt.
(b) A bag of red beans and rice.
(c) A rifle.
(d) A long knife.
8. How much does the first pearl buyer offer Kino?
(a) A thousand pesos.
(b) A trip to the United States.
(c) A few dollars.
(d) Ten pesos.
9. What article of clothing says a lot about Kino's mood?
(a) His boots.
(b) His straw hat.
(c) His pants.
(d) His sandals.
10. Kino tells Juan that if he gives up the pearl, he will also lose ______________.
(a) His happiness.
(b) His son's chance to go to school.
(c) his soul.
(d) His livelihood.
11. What animal are the trackers using to track Kino and his family in Chapter 6?
(a) A bird.
(b) A horse.
(c) A goat.
(d) A dog.
12. Why does Juan believe the bad wind to be good for Kino?
(a) It will cover his tracks.
(b) It will blow the evil from him.
(c) It will blow him towards a good destination.
(d) It will protect him from too much heat.
13. What time of day do the trackers reach the pool near Kino's family?
(a) Late Evening.
(d) Early morning.
14. Why does Kino still keep the pearl despite all that happens in Chapter 5?
(a) He wants to sell it.
(b) He feels it will save him.
(c) He wants to keep it from the neighbors.
(d) He feels it is his misfortune and must bear it.
15. After he is attacked in Chapter 4, what does Kino vow to do in the morning?
(a) Have a town meeting.
(b) Take the canoe to the capital.
(c) Avenge his attackers.
(d) Go back to the pearl buyers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Juana dress Coyotito in on the morning of the pearl sale?
2. What does the welcoming pearl buyer put by his desk in Chapter 4?
3. Where does Kino's family hide in the daytime while they are running away?
4. Where does Kino plan to go after he leaves Juan's home in Chapter 5?
5. What is the pearl wrapped in on the day of its sale?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)