|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does one pearl buyer call the great pearl?
(a) A surprise.
(b) A monstrosity.
(c) A beautiful thing of great value.
(d) A fake concoction made by Juana.
2. What does Juan Tomas do when he sees Kino and Juana on the run?
(a) Yells at him.
(b) Tries to steal his pearl.
(c) Finds the police and shows them where Kino is hiding.
(d) Welcomes them into his home for the day.
3. What is the pearl wrapped in on the day of its sale?
(a) Old, soft deerskin.
(b) A new piece of cloth.
(c) One of Juana's shawls.
(d) A piece of paper.
4. What animal are the trackers using to track Kino and his family in Chapter 6?
(a) A horse.
(b) A goat.
(c) A dog.
(d) A bird.
5. What song is in Kino's head as he races over the mountains in Chapter 6?
(a) Song of the Pearl.
(b) Song of Desperation.
(c) Song of Evil.
(d) Song of Hope.
6. In Chapter 5, what awakens Kino the first evening he is on the run?
(a) Neighbors throwing rocks.
(b) A sea full screaming.
(c) Juana removing the pearl from its hiding spot.
(d) Coyotito screaming.
7. How long is the knife Juan hands to Kino in Chapter 5?
(a) Five inches.
(b) Ten inches.
(c) Eighteen inches.
(d) Two inches.
8. To what does Kino compare himself in Chapter 5, after losing his house?
(b) A pain.
(c) A fire.
(d) Poverty itself.
9. What cities does Kino tell Juana to go to in Chapter 6, while they continue evading the trackers?
(a) Their town.
(b) The capital.
(c) The Texas.
(d) Loreto or San Rosalia.
10. Where does Kino suggest to go once he and his family are in the mountains?
(b) Back to the beach.
(d) To a mountain community.
11. Who is the only man that can walk by Kino?
(a) Juan Tomas.
(b) The sheriff.
(c) The priest.
(d) The oldest man in the village.
12. With what hand does the pearl buyer play with the gold coin before Kino arrives?
(a) Both hands.
(b) His right hand.
(c) He doesn't play with the coin at all.
(d) His left hand.
13. What does Juana say when Kino leaves to kill the trackers?
(a) Good riddance.
(b) Ancient magic and Hail Mary prayers.
(c) Incoherent mumbling.
(d) The Lord's Prayer.
14. What makes the watcher stop to listen to the night sounds in Chapter 6?
(a) Coyotito's cries.
(b) A bird screaming.
(c) A cricket chirps loudly.
(d) A woman screams.
15. Why does Juan believe the bad wind to be good for Kino?
(a) It will blow the evil from him.
(b) It will protect him from too much heat.
(c) It will blow him towards a good destination.
(d) It will cover his tracks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Juana grab to help protect Kino against the attack after Juan leaves?
2. What does Juana gives Coyotito to keep him quiet when the trackers go by?
3. After he is attacked in Chapter 4, what does Kino vow to do in the morning?
4. What does the welcoming pearl buyer put by his desk in Chapter 4?
5. What article of clothing says a lot about Kino's mood?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)