|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Kino know that his pearl is valuable?
(a) He hears it talking to him.
(b) He would not have been attacked otherwise.
(c) He got it appraised earlier.
(d) He believes it in his soul.
2. What does Juana say when Kino leaves to kill the trackers?
(a) Good riddance.
(b) The Lord's Prayer.
(c) Ancient magic and Hail Mary prayers.
(d) Incoherent mumbling.
3. Where does Kino plan to go after he leaves Juan's home in Chapter 5?
(b) To the Capital.
(d) Out into the sea.
4. Where is Kino cut after the attack in Chapter 4?
(a) His shoulder.
(b) His back.
(c) His legs.
(d) His face.
5. Who raises a formal lament for the presumed death of Kino and Juana?
(c) Every woman in the village.
(d) The priest.
6. How long will Juan hide Kino and Juana in Chapter 5?
(a) Only until a new night arrives.
(b) One hour.
(c) A week.
(d) A month.
7. What animal are the trackers using to track Kino and his family in Chapter 6?
(a) A dog.
(b) A bird.
(c) A horse.
(d) A goat.
8. What time of day do the trackers reach the pool near Kino's family?
(a) Early morning.
(b) Late Evening.
9. What makes the watcher stop to listen to the night sounds in Chapter 6?
(a) Coyotito's cries.
(b) A cricket chirps loudly.
(c) A woman screams.
(d) A bird screaming.
10. What do Kino and Juana do when they walk back into town at the end of the novel?
(a) Visit the priest.
(b) Go to Juan's home.
(c) Take Coyotito to the doctor.
(d) Throw their pearl into the sea.
11. In Chapter 4, where does Kino threaten to go to get a better price on his pearl?
(a) To another town.
(b) To come back tomorrow.
(c) To the capital.
(d) To another country.
12. What does Juana plead for after Kino is attacked in Chapter 4?
(a) To destroy the pearl.
(b) To run after their attacker.
(c) To find the pearl buyer and sell the pearl quickly.
(d) To sleep in the church.
13. What song is in Kino's head as he races over the mountains in Chapter 6?
(a) Song of Desperation.
(b) Song of Hope.
(c) Song of the Pearl.
(d) Song of Evil.
14. What makes Kino very afraid in Chapter 5?
(a) The pearl.
(b) The beach.
(c) The neighbor's screams.
(d) The light from the fire burning his house.
15. Which songs are in Kino's head as he and his family are running away in Chapter 6?
(a) Song of the Pearl and Song of the Family.
(b) Song of Hope and Song of the Pearl.
(c) Song of Hope and Song of Happiness.
(d) Song of Evil and Song of the Pearl.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Juana want to do with the pearl in Chapter 4?
2. Who does Kino say attacked him in Chapter 5?
3. What does Juana dress Coyotito in on the morning of the pearl sale?
4. What is in front of every pearl buyer?
5. What is not something Kino does over the mountains to trick the trackers?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)