|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After trying to sell the pearl in Chapter 4, where does Kino hide it?
(a) Under the stone in the fire hole.
(b) Under his bed.
(c) In a corner of his hut.
(d) Under Coyotito's body in his hanging box.
2. Where does the old man in the village ride to see Kino on his way to sell the pearl?
(a) On the shoulders of his nephew.
(b) On a donkey.
(c) on a chariot.
(d) On the back of the goat.
3. What does Juana gives Coyotito to keep him quiet when the trackers go by?
(a) A piece of candy.
(b) A corncake.
(c) Her breast for feeding.
(d) A twig.
4. Where do Kino and Juana watch their house being destroyed in Chapter 5?
(a) From the beach coast.
(b) From the mountain cliffs.
(c) From the cracks in Juan's home.
(d) From the street.
5. What does Juana grab to help protect Kino against the attack after Juan leaves?
(a) A stone from the fire hole.
(b) Her shoe.
(c) A sharp knife.
(d) A large stick.
6. What is the pearl wrapped in on the day of its sale?
(a) One of Juana's shawls.
(b) Old, soft deerskin.
(c) A piece of paper.
(d) A new piece of cloth.
7. Kino tells Juan that if he gives up the pearl, he will also lose ______________.
(a) His livelihood.
(b) His son's chance to go to school.
(c) His happiness.
(d) his soul.
8. How does Juana react when she sees the dead man in Chapter 5?
(a) She realizes they must save themselves.
(b) She throws sand over him to try and bury him.
(c) She screams and runs away.
(d) She walks over him and continues home.
9. What does the first pearl buyer in Chapter 4 say about the great pearl?
(a) It is too large.
(b) It is a joke.
(c) It is too small.
(d) It is too yellow.
10. Which one of these things was not borrowed by Juan for Kino?
(a) A rifle.
(b) A bag of red beans and rice.
(c) A long knife.
(d) A block of salt.
11. How much does the first pearl buyer offer Kino?
(a) A thousand pesos.
(b) A trip to the United States.
(c) A few dollars.
(d) Ten pesos.
12. What gives Kino a strong sense of protection during his and his family's running escape in Chapter 6?
(a) The ancient magic.
(b) His knife.
(c) A large stone he is carrying.
(d) His rifle.
13. How old is Kino's tribe?
(a) 1,000-years old.
(b) 400-years old.
(c) Two decades old.
(d) 800-years old.
14. What does Juana do to protect herself from the evil night air?
(a) She does an ancient dance.
(b) She drinks an ancient potion.
(c) She sings an ancient ritual song.
(d) She covers one side of her nose with her shawl.
15. Who does Kino say attacked him in Chapter 5?
(a) The dark ones.
(b) The dogs.
(c) The other neighbors.
(d) The doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is not something Kino does over the mountains to trick the trackers?
2. in Chapter 5, why can Kino not leave via his canoe?
3. In Chapter 5, what does Juan tell Kino to do with the pearl?
4. How does Juan protect Kino and Juana from the neighbors in Chapter 5?
5. What does Juana bring Kino to drink after he is attacked in Chapter 4?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)