|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Kino and Juana head in Chapter 6 when they leave town?
(a) Towards Loreto.
(b) Towards the mountaintops.
(c) Towards the United States.
(d) Towards the beach again.
2. What is not something Kino does over the mountains to trick the trackers?
(a) Drop some clothing.
(b) Zigzag his path.
(c) Circle back on his original path.
(d) Go south and leave a sign.
3. in Chapter 5, why can Kino not leave via his canoe?
(a) Someone has lit a fire on it.
(b) There is a huge hole in it.
(c) Someone has stolen it.
(d) He doesn't want to risk getting lost in the sea.
4. How old is Kino's tribe?
(a) 400-years old.
(b) 1,000-years old.
(c) Two decades old.
(d) 800-years old.
5. How does Juan protect Kino and Juana from the neighbors in Chapter 5?
(a) He hands them all of his money.
(b) He bars his door.
(c) He gives them a rifle.
(d) He goes out and makes theories about what happened.
6. Why do none of the fisherman leave that morning in Chapter 5?
(a) They all search for the dead man's killer.
(b) They are too frightened.
(c) They have banded together to find Kino.
(d) A bad wind makes fishing impossible.
7. What article of clothing says a lot about Kino's mood?
(a) His pants.
(b) His boots.
(c) His sandals.
(d) His straw hat.
8. What song is in Kino's head as he races over the mountains in Chapter 6?
(a) Song of the Pearl.
(b) Song of Evil.
(c) Song of Desperation.
(d) Song of Hope.
9. Where does Kino put his knife before he goes to kill the trackers?
(a) On his amulet neck string.
(b) By Juana's side for protection.
(c) In a holder on his arm.
(d) In his pocket.
10. What is the pearl wrapped in on the day of its sale?
(a) A piece of paper.
(b) A new piece of cloth.
(c) Old, soft deerskin.
(d) One of Juana's shawls.
11. What time of day do the trackers reach the pool near Kino's family?
(a) Early morning.
(c) Late Evening.
12. Where do Kino and Juana avoid as they walk out of town in Chapter 6?
(a) The doorways.
(b) The bright streets.
(c) The center where someone sleeping might see them.
(d) The neighborhoods.
13. What does Juana do when she hears Kino coming after her in Chapter 5?
(a) She runs.
(b) She throws a rock at him.
(c) She turns and faces him.
(d) She jumps in the water.
14. Why does Kino still keep the pearl despite all that happens in Chapter 5?
(a) He wants to sell it.
(b) He feels it will save him.
(c) He wants to keep it from the neighbors.
(d) He feels it is his misfortune and must bear it.
15. Kino tells Juan that if he gives up the pearl, he will also lose ______________.
(a) His son's chance to go to school.
(b) his soul.
(c) His happiness.
(d) His livelihood.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens after Kino reacts to Juana moving the pearl in Chapter 5?
2. Which one of these things was not borrowed by Juan for Kino?
3. What does Juana do to protect herself from the evil night air?
4. When does Kino hear the trackers coming towards him and his family in Chapter 6?
5. What is evil beyond thinking to Kino?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)