|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what hand does the pearl buyer play with the gold coin before Kino arrives?
(a) Both hands.
(b) His right hand.
(c) He doesn't play with the coin at all.
(d) His left hand.
2. Where does Kino put his knife before he goes to kill the trackers?
(a) By Juana's side for protection.
(b) In a holder on his arm.
(c) In his pocket.
(d) On his amulet neck string.
3. How does Juana keep Coyotito quiet during the day in Chapter 5?
(a) She mutters ancient sayings over him.
(b) She constantly feeds him.
(c) She smothers him.
(d) She stuffs dirt in his mouth.
4. How long will Juan hide Kino and Juana in Chapter 5?
(a) A week.
(b) Only until a new night arrives.
(c) A month.
(d) One hour.
5. In Chapter 4, where does Kino threaten to go to get a better price on his pearl?
(a) To another country.
(b) To come back tomorrow.
(c) To the capital.
(d) To another town.
6. Where is Kino cut after the attack in Chapter 4?
(a) His face.
(b) His back.
(c) His shoulder.
(d) His legs.
7. Why does Kino hesitate to attack the watcher in Chapter 6?
(a) The watcher hears him.
(b) The moon comes out.
(c) The watcher sees him.
(d) Another tracker wakes up and distracts him.
8. When Juana hears Kino say "I am a man" what does she think he is?
(a) Half insane and half god.
(c) Pure happiness.
(d) Pure ego.
9. How does Kino know that his pearl is valuable?
(a) He got it appraised earlier.
(b) He believes it in his soul.
(c) He would not have been attacked otherwise.
(d) He hears it talking to him.
10. Which song does Kino not sing in his head throughout the novel?
(a) Song of the Pearl that Might Be.
(b) Song of the Hopeful.
(c) Song of Evil.
(d) Song of the Family.
11. What do Kino and Juana walk in in to avoid their footsteps being seen in the dirt?
(c) A cart's wheel path.
(d) A river.
12. After he is attacked in Chapter 4, what does Kino vow to do in the morning?
(a) Have a town meeting.
(b) Go back to the pearl buyers.
(c) Take the canoe to the capital.
(d) Avenge his attackers.
13. What is evil beyond thinking to Kino?
(a) Killing a boat.
(b) Leaving his home.
(c) Killing an animal.
(d) Killing a man.
14. What does Juana do when she hears Kino coming after her in Chapter 5?
(a) She jumps in the water.
(b) She runs.
(c) She throws a rock at him.
(d) She turns and faces him.
15. How does Kino know where the trackers are around their fire?
(a) He has a torch.
(b) The morning sun comes up.
(c) One of the men lights a match.
(d) Their fire is very bright.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Juana plead for after Kino is attacked in Chapter 4?
2. What is in front of every pearl buyer?
3. Where do Kino and Juana avoid as they walk out of town in Chapter 6?
4. How long is the knife Juan hands to Kino in Chapter 5?
5. What gives Kino a strong sense of protection during his and his family's running escape in Chapter 6?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)