|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What song is in Kino's head when he wakes up?
(a) Song of the Family.
(b) Song of Being Awake.
(c) Song of the Morning.
(d) Morning Song.
2. What does Kino do when he sees the pearl in Chapter 2?
(a) Screams at Juana.
3. How does Juana react to Kino's wildest dream about the pearl?
(a) Her eyes widen at his courage.
(b) She shakes her head at him.
(c) She yells at him.
(d) She gets up and walks out.
4. What is Kino's first promise spoken out loud when asked about the pearl?
(a) That he will buy a car.
(b) That he will move.
(c) That he and Juana will be married.
(d) That he will buy Juana jewelry.
5. What does Kino do with the insect after it bites Coyotito?
(a) Tries to pick it up.
(b) Beats it with a rock.
(c) Nothing; he's too stunned.
(d) Mashes it into a paste in his hands.
6. Why does Juana get upset when she takes the poultice off Coyotito in Chapter 2?
(a) The poultice has changed colors.
(b) The poison has receded from his body.
(c) His body is now blue.
(d) The poultice has infected his body.
7. What comes near Kino when he is watching the water on the first morning?
(a) A young boy.
(b) A dog.
(c) A duck.
(d) A goat.
8. Where does the doctor imagine the pearl will take him?
(a) To New York City.
(b) To Italy.
(c) To Rome.
(d) To Paris.
9. What is Kino's house crowded with after the pearl's discovery?
(b) Oyster shells.
(c) Brown seaweed.
10. What action does Juana perform on Coyotito after he is stung?
(a) Puts a mixed concoction on the area.
(b) Rubs the puncture wound with her hand.
(c) Sucks the puncture wound.
(d) Slaps his wound area.
11. What is the thing of most value to Kino?
(a) His canoe.
(b) His carving stick.
(c) His snorkeling gear.
(d) His home.
12. When the pearl is brought to town, it holds all the men's dreams and desires and what else?
(a) All their money.
(b) A bright light.
(c) A curious dark residue.
(d) Only happiness.
13. What is Kino's wildest dream about the pearl?
(a) To have another child.
(b) To purchase a harpoon.
(c) To own a Winchester rifle.
(d) To buy a new canoe.
14. What is not mentioned as something near the coast of the beach?
(a) Brown algae.
(d) Puffer fish.
15. When does Kino sing the Song of the Undersea?
(a) When he wakes up in the morning.
(b) When he opens up the oysters after his dive.
(c) While diving for oysters.
(d) When he paddles out to the oyster bed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kino become when he has the pearl?
2. After Kino dives in the water in Chapter 2, what song plays in his head?
3. Why does Kino suddenly become afraid after talking about Coyotito's education in Chapter 3?
4. What is the name of the wife in the story?
5. What does the family eat every morning?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)