|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is referred to as the bulwark against starvation?
(a) The sea.
(b) Kino's canoe.
(c) The fish.
(d) The crops.
2. How many beggars are outside the church in Chapter 1?
3. What surprising thing does Juana do after Coyotito is stung?
(a) She walks out of the house
(b) She screams and attacks Kino
(c) She calls for the doctor.
(d) She drops him on the floor.
4. Where does Coyotito get stung?
(a) On his leg.
(b) On his shoulder.
(c) On his face.
(d) On his stomach.
5. What color is the shawl that Juana wears to see the doctor?
(d) Dark Blue.
6. What does Kino use to open his oyster?
(a) Another oyster.
(b) A rock.
(c) The side of the canoe.
(d) A strong, short knife.
7. What song roars in Kino's ears after the sting?
(a) Song of the Enemy.
(b) Song of Evil.
(c) Song of the Stinging.
(d) Song of Anger.
8. What does Kino imagine that Coyotito will wear after he buys new clothes?
(a) A large brown hat to shade his face.
(b) Bright socks with no holes.
(c) A button-down shirt for school.
(d) A blue sailor suit from the United States.
9. Other than the neighbors, who is the first visitor to Kino and Juana in Chapter 3?
(a) The Priest.
(b) The doctor.
(c) The sheriff.
(d) Juana's mother.
10. What city does the doctor dream of?
(b) New York City.
11. Where does Juana sit on the canoe as they paddle out in Chapter 2?
(a) She's not on the canoe.
(b) In the middle.
(c) On the bow.
(d) On the stern.
12. What is the name of the main character?
13. What does Kino do when he sees the pearl in Chapter 2?
(a) Screams at Juana.
14. What seems to carry the sound of evil in the night wind to Kino?
(a) The crickets and frogs.
(b) The wolves howling.
(c) The crackle of the fire.
(d) The conch shell horns.
15. Why does Kino suddenly become afraid after talking about Coyotito's education in Chapter 3?
(a) The neighbors try to steal his pearl from him then.
(b) A bad person enters his hut.
(c) He has never said so many words together in his life.
(d) Juana starts screaming about the scorpion poison.
Short Answer Questions
1. What body part looks blue to the doctor on Coyotito in Chapter 3?
2. What is not mentioned as something near the coast of the beach?
3. What animal greets Kino by the fire on the evening he found the pearl?
4. What is Kino's wildest hope for Coyotito with the pearl?
5. What does the doctor gives Coyotito in Chapter 3?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)