Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the family eat every morning?
2. In Chapter 2, what two things does Kino tie his two ropes to?
(a) The boat and a heavy stone.
(b) The boat and a bunch of oysters.
(c) A basket and the boat.
(d) A heavy stone and a basket.
3. What does Juana pray for before they go out searching for pearls that morning in Chapter 2?
(a) That Coyotito will miraculously recover on his own.
(b) That the doctor will come back to save Coyotito.
(c) To find a pearl that will save Coyotito.
(d) That the priest will bless Coyotito.
4. What seems to carry the sound of evil in the night wind to Kino?
(a) The crackle of the fire.
(b) The wolves howling.
(c) The conch shell horns.
(d) The crickets and frogs.
5. What makes the insect that stings Coyotito fall into Coyotito's bed?
(a) Coyotito reaches for it.
(b) The wind blows it into his bed.
(c) Coyotito laughs and shakes the rope.
(d) It lunges for his face.
6. When does Kino sing the Song of the Undersea?
(a) When he paddles out to the oyster bed.
(b) While diving for oysters.
(c) When he wakes up in the morning.
(d) When he opens up the oysters after his dive.
7. Which one of these things does Kino not put in his canoe in Chapter 2?
(a) Two ropes.
(b) A basket.
(c) A net.
(d) A diving rock.
8. What is Kino's first promise spoken out loud when asked about the pearl?
(a) That he will buy Juana jewelry.
(b) That he and Juana will be married.
(c) That he will move.
(d) That he will buy a car.
9. After Kino dives in the water in Chapter 2, what song plays in his head?
(a) Song of the Pearl that Might Be.
(b) Song of the Sea.
(c) Song of Hope.
(d) Song of Diving.
10. How does Juana react to Kino's wildest dream about the pearl?
(a) She gets up and walks out.
(b) She yells at him.
(c) Her eyes widen at his courage.
(d) She shakes her head at him.
11. After the priest leaves Kino's house in Chapter 3, what is Kino's reaction?
(a) He drops the pearl by accident.
(b) He tells Juana that they are moving.
(c) He glances at his remaining neighbors suspiciously.
(d) He gives the pearl to Coyotito to play with.
12. Where does the doctor imagine the pearl will take him?
(a) To Rome.
(b) To Italy.
(c) To Paris.
(d) To New York City.
13. What is a pearl made from?
(a) A grain of sand accidentally put into an oyster.
(b) The residue from an oyster's body.
(c) The eyeball of the oyster.
(d) Leftover shells that the oyster has eaten.
14. Why does Juana get upset when she takes the poultice off Coyotito in Chapter 2?
(a) His body is now blue.
(b) The poultice has changed colors.
(c) The poultice has infected his body.
(d) The poison has receded from his body.
15. What stings Coyotito?
(a) A bee.
(b) A hornet.
(c) A fire ant.
(d) A scorpion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Kino's house crowded with after the pearl's discovery?
2. Who visits Kino as Juana is making dinner in Chapter 3?
3. What does Juana put as a poultice on Coyotito's sting?
4. As he holds the pearl in his hand in Chapter 3, which two songs merge together in Kino's head?
5. What is the thing of highest value for Kino and his family?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)