|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the thing of most value to Kino?
(a) His home.
(b) His snorkeling gear.
(c) His canoe.
(d) His carving stick.
2. Where does Juana sit on the canoe as they paddle out in Chapter 2?
(a) On the stern.
(b) In the middle.
(c) She's not on the canoe.
(d) On the bow.
3. What does Juana pray for before they go out searching for pearls that morning in Chapter 2?
(a) To find a pearl that will save Coyotito.
(b) That the priest will bless Coyotito.
(c) That Coyotito will miraculously recover on his own.
(d) That the doctor will come back to save Coyotito.
4. What stings Coyotito?
(a) A fire ant.
(b) A hornet.
(c) A scorpion.
(d) A bee.
5. What two animals roam the beach looking for food every morning?
(a) Hungry dogs and pigs.
(b) Hungry cats and dogs.
(c) Hungry goats and dogs.
(d) Hungry cats and mice.
6. Who visits Kino as Juana is making dinner in Chapter 3?
(a) Two men; one is the doctor.
(b) Kino's parents.
(c) Juan and Apolonia.
(d) The priest again.
7. What does Kino become when he has the pearl?
(a) Every man's enemy.
(b) A nominee for sainthood.
(c) Everyone's best friend.
(d) The richest man in town.
8. How does the priest treat Kino and his family in Chapter 3?
(a) Like thieves.
(b) Like slaves.
(c) Like mute people.
(d) Like children.
9. Which of these things is described in Chapter 2 as being on the bottom of the sea?
(a) Sea horses/
(b) Moray eels.
(c) Spotted botete.
(d) Eel grass.
10. When the pearl is brought to town, it holds all the men's dreams and desires.. and what else?
(a) A bright light.
(b) All their money.
(c) only happiness.
(d) A curious dark residue.
11. In Chapter 3, what does the town say that Kino has found?
(a) A large pearl.
(c) A huge fish.
(d) The Pearl of the World.
12. What seems to carry the sound of evil in the night wind to Kino?
(a) The crickets and frogs.
(b) The wolves howling.
(c) The crackle of the fire.
(d) The conch shell horns.
13. What does the family eat every morning?
14. What does Kino do with the insect after it bites Coyotito?
(a) Nothing; he's too stunned.
(b) Mashes it into a paste in his hands.
(c) Tries to pick it up.
(d) Beats it with a rock.
15. What is Kino's house crowded with after the pearl's discovery?
(b) Brown seaweed.
(d) Oyster shells.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the beach sand?
2. What does Kino see when he looks at the pearl in Chapter 2?
3. What song is in Kino's head when he wakes up?
4. What does Kino do when he sees the pearl in Chapter 2?
5. In Chapter 3, why does the doctor say he didn't see Kino this morning?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)