|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color is the skirt that Juana wears to see the doctor?
2. How does Juana react to Kino's wildest dream about the pearl?
(a) She yells at him.
(b) Her eyes widen at his courage.
(c) She shakes her head at him.
(d) She gets up and walks out.
3. Which of these things is described in Chapter 2 as being on the bottom of the sea?
(a) Sea horses/
(b) Spotted botete.
(c) Eel grass.
(d) Moray eels.
4. What does Juana pray for before they go out searching for pearls that morning in Chapter 2?
(a) That the priest will bless Coyotito.
(b) To find a pearl that will save Coyotito.
(c) That the doctor will come back to save Coyotito.
(d) That Coyotito will miraculously recover on his own.
5. What is the baby's name?
(c) Little Kino.
6. What makes the insect that stings Coyotito fall into Coyotito's bed?
(a) It lunges for his face.
(b) The wind blows it into his bed.
(c) Coyotito reaches for it.
(d) Coyotito laughs and shakes the rope.
7. What is the town compared to in Chapter 3?
(a) The beach sand.
(b) A dog.
(c) A colonial animal.
(d) A forest.
8. What color is the water in Chapter 2 as Kino is diving?
(b) Bright green.
(c) Dark blue.
(d) Pale blue.
9. In Chapter 3, what does the town say that Kino has found?
(b) A large pearl.
(c) A huge fish.
(d) The Pearl of the World.
10. What happened when the pearl buyers gave a fisherman a price that was too low?
(a) He killed one of the pearl buyers.
(b) He went to the next town and got a better price.
(c) He gave his pearls to the church.
(d) He smashed his pearls to bits.
11. In addition to the bow and stern, what else is on Kino's canoe?
(a) A mast for a lantern.
(b) A hole to hold the oysters.
(c) A sail.
(d) A net.
12. What has brought the King of Spain to higher power?
(a) Pearls from oysters.
(b) The gold.
13. What does Juana put as a poultice on Coyotito's sting?
(b) Brown seaweed.
(c) Salt water.
(d) A dead fish.
14. What is referred to as the bulwark against starvation?
(a) The fish.
(b) The sea.
(c) Kino's canoe.
(d) The crops.
15. Why does Kino suddenly become afraid after talking about Coyotito's education in Chapter 3?
(a) A bad person enters his hut.
(b) Juana starts screaming about the scorpion poison.
(c) He has never said so many words together in his life.
(d) The neighbors try to steal his pearl from him then.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kino do with the insect after it bites Coyotito?
2. What color is the shawl that Juana wears to see the doctor?
3. What does Juana say to herself after Coyotito is stung?
4. What seems to carry the sound of evil in the night wind to Kino?
5. What is Kino's wildest hope for Coyotito with the pearl?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)