|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who watches Kino when he wakes up every morning?
(b) Their bird.
(d) His dog.
2. What is not mentioned as something near the coast of the beach?
(b) Puffer fish.
(d) Brown algae.
3. How does Juana react to Kino's wildest dream about the pearl?
(a) She shakes her head at him.
(b) She gets up and walks out.
(c) Her eyes widen at his courage.
(d) She yells at him.
4. What do the villagers not trust to show them clear lines and boundaries?
(a) Their minds.
(b) Their eyes.
(c) Their imagination.
(d) The spirits.
5. Which of these things do not happen to a child with an insect sting in Chapter 1?
(c) Tightening Throat.
6. What is the first thing Juana does when she gets out of bed?
(a) Get dressed.
(b) Makes the bed.
(c) Lights a fire.
(d) Checks on Coyotito.
7. When the priest hears that Kino has found a pearl, what is his first thought?
(a) Marrying Kino and Juana.
(b) Blessing Coyotito.
(c) Kino's salvation.
(d) Repairs necessary for the church.
8. How long can Kino stay under the water?
(a) 30 seconds.
(b) One minute.
(c) Over two minutes.
(d) Three minutes.
9. When the pearl is brought to town, it holds all the men's dreams and desires.. and what else?
(a) A curious dark residue.
(b) All their money.
(c) only happiness.
(d) A bright light.
10. What does Kino imagine that Coyotito will wear after he buys new clothes?
(a) A large brown hat to shade his face.
(b) A blue sailor suit from the United States.
(c) Bright socks with no holes.
(d) A button-down shirt for school.
11. In Chapter 2, what two things does Kino tie his two ropes to?
(a) The boat and a bunch of oysters.
(b) A basket and the boat.
(c) The boat and a heavy stone.
(d) A heavy stone and a basket.
12. Where does Juana sit on the canoe as they paddle out in Chapter 2?
(a) On the bow.
(b) She's not on the canoe.
(c) On the stern.
(d) In the middle.
13. What is Kino's wildest dream about the pearl?
(a) To own a Winchester rifle.
(b) To have another child.
(c) To purchase a harpoon.
(d) To buy a new canoe.
14. What has brought the King of Spain to higher power?
(a) Pearls from oysters.
(c) The gold.
15. What is Kino's wildest hope for Coyotito with the pearl?
(a) That he will become a doctor.
(b) That he will have a rifle too.
(c) That he will own a canoe as well.
(d) That he will go to school.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Kino's first promise spoken out loud when asked about the pearl?
2. What do the beggars do when they hear about Kino's pearl?
3. Who visits Kino as Juana is making dinner in Chapter 3?
4. What does Coyotito sleep in every night?
5. What is the baby's name?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)