|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the villagers not trust to show them clear lines and boundaries?
(a) Their imagination.
(b) Their minds.
(c) The spirits.
(d) Their eyes.
2. After the priest leaves Kino's house in Chapter 3, what is Kino's reaction?
(a) He drops the pearl by accident.
(b) He glances at his remaining neighbors suspiciously.
(c) He gives the pearl to Coyotito to play with.
(d) He tells Juana that they are moving.
3. What comes near Kino when he is watching the water on the first morning?
(a) A dog.
(b) A goat.
(c) A duck.
(d) A young boy.
4. What does Juana pray for before they go out searching for pearls that morning in Chapter 2?
(a) That Coyotito will miraculously recover on his own.
(b) To find a pearl that will save Coyotito.
(c) That the priest will bless Coyotito.
(d) That the doctor will come back to save Coyotito.
5. What color is the shawl that Juana wears to see the doctor?
(b) Dark Blue.
6. What has brought the King of Spain to higher power?
(a) The gold.
(b) Pearls from oysters.
7. In addition to the bow and stern, what else is on Kino's canoe?
(a) A mast for a lantern.
(b) A net.
(c) A sail.
(d) A hole to hold the oysters.
8. Where does Juana sit on the canoe as they paddle out in Chapter 2?
(a) She's not on the canoe.
(b) On the stern.
(c) In the middle.
(d) On the bow.
9. What is the thing of most value to Kino?
(a) His home.
(b) His carving stick.
(c) His canoe.
(d) His snorkeling gear.
10. What is not something the doctor threatens will happen to Coyotito because of the insect sting?
(a) Withered Leg.
(d) Crumpled Back.
11. In Chapter 3, why does the doctor say he didn't see Kino this morning?
(a) He was at an important meeting.
(b) He wasn't in his office.
(c) He was in Paris.
(d) He wasn't feeling well.
12. What does Kino do when he sees the pearl in Chapter 2?
(a) Screams at Juana.
13. What action does Juana perform on Coyotito after he is stung?
(a) Slaps his wound area.
(b) Puts a mixed concoction on the area.
(c) Sucks the puncture wound.
(d) Rubs the puncture wound with her hand.
14. What is Kino's canoe made from?
(b) Waterproof plaster.
(c) Broken shells made smooth.
15. Why does Kino suddenly become afraid after talking about Coyotito's education in Chapter 3?
(a) Juana starts screaming about the scorpion poison.
(b) The neighbors try to steal his pearl from him then.
(c) He has never said so many words together in his life.
(d) A bad person enters his hut.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Juana react to Kino's wildest dream about the pearl?
2. What song is in Kino's head when he wakes up?
3. What is the town compared to in Chapter 3?
4. Where does the doctor imagine the pearl will take him?
5. What song roars in Kino's ears after the sting?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)