|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who paddles Kino's canoe?
(a) Kino and Juna Tomas.
(b) Kino and Juana.
(d) Kino and his neighbors.
2. Which of these things is described in Chapter 2 as being on the bottom of the sea?
(a) Eel grass.
(b) Moray eels.
(c) Spotted botete.
(d) Sea horses/
3. After Kino dives in the water in Chapter 2, what song plays in his head?
(a) Song of the Pearl that Might Be.
(b) Song of Hope.
(c) Song of the Sea.
(d) Song of Diving.
4. What is Kino's wildest hope for Coyotito with the pearl?
(a) That he will become a doctor.
(b) That he will have a rifle too.
(c) That he will own a canoe as well.
(d) That he will go to school.
5. What is the town compared to in Chapter 3?
(a) A dog.
(b) The beach sand.
(c) A colonial animal.
(d) A forest.
6. Who are the first ones to arrive after Coyotito is stung?
(a) The fishermen.
(b) The doctor.
(c) The priest.
(d) Juan Tomas and his wife Apolonia.
7. What is Kino's house crowded with after the pearl's discovery?
(b) Brown seaweed.
(c) Oyster shells.
8. What is the first thing Juana does when she gets out of bed?
(a) Checks on Coyotito.
(b) Lights a fire.
(c) Makes the bed.
(d) Get dressed.
9. What song roars in Kino's ears after the sting?
(a) Song of the Enemy.
(b) Song of Anger.
(c) Song of Evil.
(d) Song of the Stinging.
10. Which one of these things does Kino not put in his canoe in Chapter 2?
(a) A net.
(b) A basket.
(c) A diving rock.
(d) Two ropes.
11. What do the other canoeists do when Kino reacts to his pearl in Chapter 2?
(a) Scream at him.
(b) Try to tip over his canoe.
(c) Paddle to him.
(d) Start diving on his oysters.
12. How does the priest treat Kino and his family in Chapter 3?
(a) Like children.
(b) Like slaves.
(c) Like mute people.
(d) Like thieves.
13. What do the villagers not trust to show them clear lines and boundaries?
(a) The spirits.
(b) Their minds.
(c) Their eyes.
(d) Their imagination.
14. What does the doctor say when he hears about Kino's pearl?
(a) "He stole it!"
(b) "I will visit him later today."
(c) "He is a patient of mine."
(d) "He tried to rob me."
15. After the priest leaves Kino's house in Chapter 3, what is Kino's reaction?
(a) He drops the pearl by accident.
(b) He gives the pearl to Coyotito to play with.
(c) He glances at his remaining neighbors suspiciously.
(d) He tells Juana that they are moving.
Short Answer Questions
1. What stings Coyotito?
2. What does the family eat every morning?
3. What does Juana say to herself after Coyotito is stung?
4. Who does Kino squat with the afternoon they find the pearl?
5. What song plays when Kino sees Juana making corncakes in Chapter 3?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)