|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes the insect that stings Coyotito fall into Coyotito's bed?
(a) It lunges for his face.
(b) Coyotito reaches for it.
(c) Coyotito laughs and shakes the rope.
(d) The wind blows it into his bed.
2. How long can Kino stay under the water?
(a) 30 seconds.
(b) One minute.
(c) Three minutes.
(d) Over two minutes.
3. What surprising thing does Juana do after Coyotito is stung?
(a) She calls for the doctor.
(b) She screams and attacks Kino
(c) She walks out of the house
(d) She drops him on the floor.
4. According to Chapter 3, who will punish Kino for rebelling against the way things are?
(a) The town police.
(c) The judge.
5. When does Kino sing the Song of the Undersea?
(a) When he paddles out to the oyster bed.
(b) When he wakes up in the morning.
(c) When he opens up the oysters after his dive.
(d) While diving for oysters.
6. What color is the beach sand?
7. Where did Kino's grandfather bring the canoe from?
(d) He made it.
8. What is a pearl made from?
(a) A grain of sand accidentally put into an oyster.
(b) The eyeball of the oyster.
(c) The residue from an oyster's body.
(d) Leftover shells that the oyster has eaten.
9. What does Kino imagine that Coyotito will wear after he buys new clothes?
(a) A button-down shirt for school.
(b) A blue sailor suit from the United States.
(c) Bright socks with no holes.
(d) A large brown hat to shade his face.
10. In addition to the bow and stern, what else is on Kino's canoe?
(a) A mast for a lantern.
(b) A hole to hold the oysters.
(c) A sail.
(d) A net.
11. As he holds the pearl in his hand in Chapter 3, which two songs merge together in Kino's head?
(a) The song of hope and song of undersea.
(b) The song of evil and song of family.
(c) The song of family and of the pearl.
(d) The song of the undersea and the pearl.
12. What has brought the King of Spain to higher power?
(c) The gold.
(d) Pearls from oysters.
13. What is the name of the wife in the story?
14. What is Kino's first promise spoken out loud when asked about the pearl?
(a) That he will buy a car.
(b) That he will move.
(c) That he and Juana will be married.
(d) That he will buy Juana jewelry.
15. What color is the shawl that Juana wears to see the doctor?
(b) Dark Blue.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the doctor say when he hears about Kino's pearl?
2. What did Kino eat one day that almost killed him?
3. What song roars in Kino's ears after the sting?
4. Why does Juana get upset when she takes the poultice off Coyotito in Chapter 2?
5. What is the name of the main character?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)