|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Kino sing the Song of the Undersea?
(a) When he wakes up in the morning.
(b) When he paddles out to the oyster bed.
(c) While diving for oysters.
(d) When he opens up the oysters after his dive.
2. What body part looks blue to the doctor on Coyotito in Chapter 3?
(a) His eyelid.
(b) His skin.
(c) His shoulder.
(d) The puncture would.
3. After the priest leaves Kino's house in Chapter 3, what is Kino's reaction?
(a) He tells Juana that they are moving.
(b) He glances at his remaining neighbors suspiciously.
(c) He drops the pearl by accident.
(d) He gives the pearl to Coyotito to play with.
4. What does Coyotito sleep in every night?
(a) With his parents.
(b) A hanging box.
(c) On the floor.
(d) A crib.
5. Where does the doctor imagine the pearl will take him?
(a) To Rome.
(b) To Italy.
(c) To Paris.
(d) To New York City.
6. What does Kino imagine that Coyotito will wear after he buys new clothes?
(a) Bright socks with no holes.
(b) A blue sailor suit from the United States.
(c) A button-down shirt for school.
(d) A large brown hat to shade his face.
7. What does Kino use to open his oyster?
(a) A rock.
(b) A strong, short knife.
(c) The side of the canoe.
(d) Another oyster.
8. What is referred to as the bulwark against starvation?
(a) The crops.
(b) The fish.
(c) Kino's canoe.
(d) The sea.
9. What is the name of the main character?
10. How does Juana react to Kino's wildest dream about the pearl?
(a) She gets up and walks out.
(b) She yells at him.
(c) Her eyes widen at his courage.
(d) She shakes her head at him.
11. What do the beggars do when they hear about Kino's pearl?
(a) They run to his house.
(b) They are scared.
(c) They giggle.
(d) They argue with each other.
12. Where does Juana sit on the canoe as they paddle out in Chapter 2?
(a) On the bow.
(b) In the middle.
(c) She's not on the canoe.
(d) On the stern.
13. What color is the ribbon that Juana ties her braids with?
14. What color is the water in Chapter 2 as Kino is diving?
(a) Bright green.
(b) Pale blue.
(d) Dark blue.
15. As he holds the pearl in his hand in Chapter 3, which two songs merge together in Kino's head?
(a) The song of the undersea and the pearl.
(b) The song of evil and song of family.
(c) The song of family and of the pearl.
(d) The song of hope and song of undersea.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing Juana does when she gets out of bed?
2. What do the villagers not trust to show them clear lines and boundaries?
3. What is the baby's name?
4. What song plays when Kino sees Juana making corncakes in Chapter 3?
5. What is Kino's house crowded with after the pearl's discovery?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)