|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Kino eat one day that almost killed him?
(a) Bad fruit.
(b) Bad seafood.
2. What is the baby's name?
(d) Little Kino.
3. As he holds the pearl in his hand in Chapter 3, which two songs merge together in Kino's head?
(a) The song of hope and song of undersea.
(b) The song of the undersea and the pearl.
(c) The song of evil and song of family.
(d) The song of family and of the pearl.
4. What does Kino do with the insect after it bites Coyotito?
(a) Beats it with a rock.
(b) Mashes it into a paste in his hands.
(c) Nothing; he's too stunned.
(d) Tries to pick it up.
5. Where does Coyotito get stung?
(a) On his leg.
(b) On his shoulder.
(c) On his stomach.
(d) On his face.
6. After the priest leaves Kino's house in Chapter 3, what is Kino's reaction?
(a) He drops the pearl by accident.
(b) He gives the pearl to Coyotito to play with.
(c) He glances at his remaining neighbors suspiciously.
(d) He tells Juana that they are moving.
7. What surprising thing does Juana do after Coyotito is stung?
(a) She walks out of the house
(b) She screams and attacks Kino
(c) She drops him on the floor.
(d) She calls for the doctor.
8. What action does Juana perform on Coyotito after he is stung?
(a) Sucks the puncture wound.
(b) Puts a mixed concoction on the area.
(c) Rubs the puncture wound with her hand.
(d) Slaps his wound area.
9. What do the beggars do when they hear about Kino's pearl?
(a) They run to his house.
(b) They argue with each other.
(c) They giggle.
(d) They are scared.
10. According to Chapter 3, who will punish Kino for rebelling against the way things are?
(a) The town police.
(d) The judge.
11. How long can Kino stay under the water?
(a) 30 seconds.
(b) One minute.
(c) Three minutes.
(d) Over two minutes.
12. Which one of these things does Kino not put in his canoe in Chapter 2?
(a) A diving rock.
(b) A basket.
(c) Two ropes.
(d) A net.
13. What does Kino become when he has the pearl?
(a) The richest man in town.
(b) Every man's enemy.
(c) A nominee for sainthood.
(d) Everyone's best friend.
14. What do the villagers not trust to show them clear lines and boundaries?
(a) Their imagination.
(b) Their eyes.
(c) The spirits.
(d) Their minds.
15. What is the name of the wife in the story?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Kino suddenly become afraid after talking about Coyotito's education in Chapter 3?
2. What does the family eat every morning?
3. What comes near Kino when he is watching the water on the first morning?
4. Who does Kino squat with the afternoon they find the pearl?
5. What color is the shawl that Juana wears to see the doctor?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)