|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surprising thing does Juana do after Coyotito is stung?
(a) She calls for the doctor.
(b) She drops him on the floor.
(c) She walks out of the house
(d) She screams and attacks Kino
2. What is the baby's name?
(d) Little Kino.
3. What does Juana pray for before they go out searching for pearls that morning in Chapter 2?
(a) To find a pearl that will save Coyotito.
(b) That Coyotito will miraculously recover on his own.
(c) That the priest will bless Coyotito.
(d) That the doctor will come back to save Coyotito.
4. What makes the insect that stings Coyotito fall into Coyotito's bed?
(a) The wind blows it into his bed.
(b) Coyotito reaches for it.
(c) It lunges for his face.
(d) Coyotito laughs and shakes the rope.
5. When the priest hears that Kino has found a pearl, what is his first thought?
(a) Blessing Coyotito.
(b) Marrying Kino and Juana.
(c) Repairs necessary for the church.
(d) Kino's salvation.
6. What color is the ribbon that Juana ties her braids with?
7. What comes near Kino when he is watching the water on the first morning?
(a) A goat.
(b) A duck.
(c) A dog.
(d) A young boy.
8. How many beggars are outside the church in Chapter 1?
9. Which one of these things does Kino not put in his canoe in Chapter 2?
(a) A basket.
(b) A diving rock.
(c) A net.
(d) Two ropes.
10. What does Kino see when he looks at the pearl in Chapter 2?
(d) Dreams forming.
11. When does Kino sing the Song of the Undersea?
(a) When he wakes up in the morning.
(b) While diving for oysters.
(c) When he paddles out to the oyster bed.
(d) When he opens up the oysters after his dive.
12. What is Kino's canoe made from?
(b) Waterproof plaster.
(c) Broken shells made smooth.
13. What is Kino's first promise spoken out loud when asked about the pearl?
(a) That he will buy Juana jewelry.
(b) That he will move.
(c) That he will buy a car.
(d) That he and Juana will be married.
14. What is not mentioned as something near the coast of the beach?
(b) Puffer fish.
(c) Brown algae.
15. What is the thing of highest value for Kino and his family?
(a) His carving stick.
(b) His canoe.
(c) His snorkeling gear.
(d) His home.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who watches Kino when he wakes up every morning?
2. What does the doctor say when he hears about Kino's pearl?
3. What do the beggars do when they hear about Kino's pearl?
4. Why does Juana get upset when she takes the poultice off Coyotito in Chapter 2?
5. Other than the neighbors, who is the first visitor to Kino and Juana in Chapter 3?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)