|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How big is Kino's great pearl?
(a) The size of a crab.
(b) The size of Coyotito's head.
(c) The size of a seagull's egg.
(d) The size of a fish.
2. What stings Coyotito?
(a) A hornet.
(b) A scorpion.
(c) A bee.
(d) A fire ant.
3. What does Juana pray for before they go out searching for pearls that morning in Chapter 2?
(a) To find a pearl that will save Coyotito.
(b) That the doctor will come back to save Coyotito.
(c) That the priest will bless Coyotito.
(d) That Coyotito will miraculously recover on his own.
4. As he holds the pearl in his hand in Chapter 3, which two songs merge together in Kino's head?
(a) The song of hope and song of undersea.
(b) The song of the undersea and the pearl.
(c) The song of evil and song of family.
(d) The song of family and of the pearl.
5. What comes near Kino when he is watching the water on the first morning?
(a) A young boy.
(b) A duck.
(c) A goat.
(d) A dog.
6. What is not something the doctor threatens will happen to Coyotito because of the insect sting?
(a) Crumpled Back.
(d) Withered Leg.
7. What is the name of the main character?
8. What animal greets Kino by the fire on the evening he found the pearl?
(a) A thin dog that he doesn't know.
(b) A black cat.
(c) the same goat he saw that morning.
(d) A large bird.
9. What does the doctor say when he hears about Kino's pearl?
(a) "I will visit him later today."
(b) "He tried to rob me."
(c) "He is a patient of mine."
(d) "He stole it!"
10. What does Kino become when he has the pearl?
(a) Everyone's best friend.
(b) A nominee for sainthood.
(c) Every man's enemy.
(d) The richest man in town.
11. In Chapter 3, why does the doctor say he didn't see Kino this morning?
(a) He wasn't in his office.
(b) He wasn't feeling well.
(c) He was in Paris.
(d) He was at an important meeting.
12. What is a pearl made from?
(a) The residue from an oyster's body.
(b) The eyeball of the oyster.
(c) A grain of sand accidentally put into an oyster.
(d) Leftover shells that the oyster has eaten.
13. What payment does Kino offer the doctor?
(a) Eight misshapen pearls.
(c) His canoe.
(d) One tiny pearl.
14. When the priest hears that Kino has found a pearl, what is his first thought?
(a) Repairs necessary for the church.
(b) Marrying Kino and Juana.
(c) Blessing Coyotito.
(d) Kino's salvation.
15. What seems to carry the sound of evil in the night wind to Kino?
(a) The crackle of the fire.
(b) The conch shell horns.
(c) The wolves howling.
(d) The crickets and frogs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the town compared to in Chapter 3?
2. What song is in Kino's head when he wakes up?
3. What does Kino do with the insect after it bites Coyotito?
4. What is the baby's name?
5. After the priest leaves Kino's house in Chapter 3, what is Kino's reaction?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)