|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animal greets Kino by the fire on the evening he found the pearl?
(a) A thin dog that he doesn't know.
(b) the same goat he saw that morning.
(c) A black cat.
(d) A large bird.
2. What does Juana pray for before they go out searching for pearls that morning in Chapter 2?
(a) That Coyotito will miraculously recover on his own.
(b) That the priest will bless Coyotito.
(c) That the doctor will come back to save Coyotito.
(d) To find a pearl that will save Coyotito.
3. In Chapter 3, why does the doctor say he didn't see Kino this morning?
(a) He was at an important meeting.
(b) He wasn't feeling well.
(c) He was in Paris.
(d) He wasn't in his office.
4. What color is the water in Chapter 2 as Kino is diving?
(a) Pale blue.
(b) Bright green.
(c) Dark blue.
5. How many beggars are outside the church in Chapter 1?
6. What seems to carry the sound of evil in the night wind to Kino?
(a) The crackle of the fire.
(b) The wolves howling.
(c) The conch shell horns.
(d) The crickets and frogs.
7. When the pearl is brought to town, it holds all the men's dreams and desires.. and what else?
(a) All their money.
(b) only happiness.
(c) A bright light.
(d) A curious dark residue.
8. What happened when the pearl buyers gave a fisherman a price that was too low?
(a) He gave his pearls to the church.
(b) He killed one of the pearl buyers.
(c) He smashed his pearls to bits.
(d) He went to the next town and got a better price.
9. Where does the doctor imagine the pearl will take him?
(a) To Italy.
(b) To Rome.
(c) To Paris.
(d) To New York City.
10. What stings Coyotito?
(a) A scorpion.
(b) A bee.
(c) A hornet.
(d) A fire ant.
11. What is not mentioned as something near the coast of the beach?
(a) Puffer fish.
(c) Brown algae.
12. How does Juana react to Kino's wildest dream about the pearl?
(a) She yells at him.
(b) She gets up and walks out.
(c) Her eyes widen at his courage.
(d) She shakes her head at him.
13. Why does Kino suddenly become afraid after talking about Coyotito's education in Chapter 3?
(a) A bad person enters his hut.
(b) He has never said so many words together in his life.
(c) The neighbors try to steal his pearl from him then.
(d) Juana starts screaming about the scorpion poison.
14. Why does Juana get upset when she takes the poultice off Coyotito in Chapter 2?
(a) The poultice has changed colors.
(b) His body is now blue.
(c) The poison has receded from his body.
(d) The poultice has infected his body.
15. What color is the skirt that Juana wears to see the doctor?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the wife in the story?
2. What song plays when Kino sees Juana making corncakes in Chapter 3?
3. How long can Kino stay under the water?
4. What does Kino see when he looks at the pearl in Chapter 2?
5. How does the priest treat Kino and his family in Chapter 3?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)