|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the other canoeists do when Kino reacts to his pearl in Chapter 2?
(a) Start diving on his oysters.
(b) Try to tip over his canoe.
(c) Paddle to him.
(d) Scream at him.
2. Where is the town located near?
(b) An estuary.
(c) A river.
(d) A large oak tree.
3. How does the priest treat Kino and his family in Chapter 3?
(a) Like thieves.
(b) Like slaves.
(c) Like children.
(d) Like mute people.
4. Where did Kino's grandfather bring the canoe from?
(c) He made it.
5. What do the beggars do when they hear about Kino's pearl?
(a) They argue with each other.
(b) They giggle.
(c) They are scared.
(d) They run to his house.
6. When does Kino sing the Song of the Undersea?
(a) When he paddles out to the oyster bed.
(b) When he wakes up in the morning.
(c) When he opens up the oysters after his dive.
(d) While diving for oysters.
7. Other than the neighbors, who is the first visitor to Kino and Juana in Chapter 3?
(a) Juana's mother.
(b) The Priest.
(c) The sheriff.
(d) The doctor.
8. When the priest hears that Kino has found a pearl, what is his first thought?
(a) Kino's salvation.
(b) Repairs necessary for the church.
(c) Marrying Kino and Juana.
(d) Blessing Coyotito.
9. What does Juana pray for before they go out searching for pearls that morning in Chapter 2?
(a) That the priest will bless Coyotito.
(b) That the doctor will come back to save Coyotito.
(c) That Coyotito will miraculously recover on his own.
(d) To find a pearl that will save Coyotito.
10. What is Kino's wildest hope for Coyotito with the pearl?
(a) That he will become a doctor.
(b) That he will go to school.
(c) That he will own a canoe as well.
(d) That he will have a rifle too.
11. After Kino dives in the water in Chapter 2, what song plays in his head?
(a) Song of the Sea.
(b) Song of the Pearl that Might Be.
(c) Song of Diving.
(d) Song of Hope.
12. How many beggars are outside the church in Chapter 1?
13. What does Juana say when she sees the large oyster in Kino's hand in Chapter 2?
(a) I want it.
(b) Crush it.
(c) Open it.
(d) Avoid the oyster.
14. What city does the doctor dream of?
(b) New York City.
15. In Chapter 3, why does the doctor say he didn't see Kino this morning?
(a) He was at an important meeting.
(b) He was in Paris.
(c) He wasn't in his office.
(d) He wasn't feeling well.
Short Answer Questions
1. In addition to the bow and stern, what else is on Kino's canoe?
2. In Chapter 2, what two things does Kino tie his two ropes to?
3. What animal greets Kino by the fire on the evening he found the pearl?
4. What payment does Kino offer the doctor?
5. What comes near Kino when he is watching the water on the first morning?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)