• NOTE: Citations in this Lesson Plan refer to the following version of the book: Steinbeck, John. The Pearl. Penguin Books; 1st edition (February 1, 1993). Kindle Edition.
• The Pearl is set in La Paz, Mexico. The story is related from the perspective of a third-person omniscient narrator.
• In Chapter 1, Kino awakens moments before dawn and sees his wife Juana already awake and watching him.
• Juana wakes their son Coyotito carefully and prepares for the day ahead.
• Just after breakfast, a scorpion falls into Coyotito's crib and stings him.
• Coyotito screams and Juana tries to suck the poison out.
• Hopeless, Juana tells Kino that she wants to see the doctor.
• Followed by the people of their village, Juana and Kino take Coyotito to the doctor.
• He refuses to see them since they have little money.
• Kino and Juana return back to their village and home.
• Kino takes his canoe...
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)