|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the children running around that morning?
2. What are some villages rumored to be doing with their lottery?
3. Who is the last person accounted for before the lottery begins?
4. What does Mr. Graves carry onto the village square?
5. Who is to draw for the Watson family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens as the stoning begins?
2. After Mrs. Dunbar has spoken up, what does Mr. Summers ask about the Watsons?
3. What does Mr. Summers do when he calls out his own name?
4. Who is called after Mrs. Dunbar, showing that no one is left out of the lottery?
5. What does Mrs. Delacroix do to participate in the stoning?
6. What does Mr. Adams discuss with Old man Warner?
7. Until she is knocked unconscious, what does Tessie keep trying to do?
8. In place of the salute, what is required now of the lottery official?
9. Who is the second citizen of the village and what is his function in the lottery?
10. How are people dressed for this annual event?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper in which you are one of the villagers at the lottery. Describe your feelings as the lottery takes place. How do you feel when it is not you but Bill Hutchinson who draws the black spot? Carry this on through picking up a rock and throwing it at Tessie.
Essay Topic 2
Do some research and write a paper that briefly describes cultures that have held human sacrifices. Identify, if possible, their reasons for doing so.
Essay Topic 3
Expand on the character of Mr. Summers in THE LOTTERY. Describe how you imagine his business dealings in detail and his political control over the village.
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)