|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do some people think about discontinuing the lottery?
2. What does Mrs. Dunbar hold in her hands?
3. What is Mrs. Hutchinson's behavior as she makes her way to her family?
4. What is revealing about the social order of the village?
5. What is the procedure after Bill reveals that his family is the one?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens next after it is settled that Bill Hutchinson holds the paper with the black dot?
2. What are the heads of families instructed to do with their slips of paper?
3. How does the Martin family make the scene appear like a gathering of everyday families?
4. What does Mr. Summers do when he calls out his own name?
5. Who is the second citizen of the village and what is his function in the lottery?
6. Who is called after Mrs. Dunbar, showing that no one is left out of the lottery?
7. Why is everything so organized in the village for the lottery?
8. What is Old man Warner's response to Mr. Adams suggestion of doing away with the lottery?
9. What is different about this year's lottery?
10. In naming the holidays observed by the village, how does Jackson hint at the macabre nature of the lottery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper explaining how traditions may change over time. Traditions are usually handed down by example or word of mouth. How would this make it easy for change to happen?
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper about how children might be affected by the violence of the lottery. What will Davie Hutchinson be like when he is a teenager?
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper in which you are one of the villagers at the lottery. Describe your feelings as the lottery takes place. How do you feel when it is not you but Bill Hutchinson who draws the black spot? Carry this on through picking up a rock and throwing it at Tessie.
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)