|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Delacroix have in her hands?
2. What is the irony of Tessie Hutchinson drawing the black dot?
3. What accusation does Tessie make to Joe Summers?
4. What is Tessie Hutchinson doing when she realizes Bill has the marked slip?
5. When Mr. Summers says it is time, what does everyone do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whose name was the first to be called up for the lottery?
2. As Tessie continues to voice her objections, what does her husband do?
3. In naming the holidays observed by the village, how does Jackson hint at the macabre nature of the lottery?
4. What kind of lists are required for the conduct of the lottery?
5. After Mrs. Dunbar has spoken up, what does Mr. Summers ask about the Watsons?
6. What does the setting of THE LOTTERY say about the citizens of the village.
7. Describe the men as they assemble for the lottery.
8. Why is Mr. Summers always in charge of the lottery every year?
9. Where are the women and what are they doing?
10. Are other lotteries still being held in other villages?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper explaining how traditions may change over time. Traditions are usually handed down by example or word of mouth. How would this make it easy for change to happen?
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper on what you believe Shirley Jackson is satirizing in THE LOTTERY. Explain whether you think there is a religious undertone to the story.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper on surprise endings to short stories that are humorous instead of macabre. [If you do not know one, read O'Henry's THE RANSOM OF RED CHIEF for this assignment.]
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)