|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sound is heard as the papers are opened?
2. Who is the first to hold up his slip of paper?
3. What is the irony of Tessie Hutchinson drawing the black dot?
4. Who will participate in the ritual?
5. What is Jackson saying about tradition.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is everything so organized in the village for the lottery?
2. Describe the men as they assemble for the lottery.
3. What happens after Mr. Zanini draw his paper?
4. How does Tessie try to widen the odds of her drawing the black dot?
5. In naming the holidays observed by the village, how does Jackson hint at the macabre nature of the lottery?
6. What happens as the stoning begins?
7. How does the Martin family make the scene appear like a gathering of everyday families?
8. How does Jackson make the scene seem like a normal village fair?
9. What do the villagers begin to do at that point?
10. What are the heads of families instructed to do with their slips of paper?
Essay Topic 1
Do some research and write a paper that briefly describes cultures that have held human sacrifices. Identify, if possible, their reasons for doing so.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper about how children might be affected by the violence of the lottery. What will Davie Hutchinson be like when he is a teenager?
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper in which you are one of the villagers at the lottery. Describe your feelings as the lottery takes place. How do you feel when it is not you but Bill Hutchinson who draws the black spot? Carry this on through picking up a rock and throwing it at Tessie.
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)