|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story, what idea does Shirley Jackson carefully avoid?
2. What explanation does the late comer give for being late?
3. What is revealing about the social order of the village?
4. Is everyone present as the lottery ceremony begins?
5. How long has the lottery been going on?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the villagers know that Bill Hutchinson is holding the slip of paper with the black dot?
2. Why is everything so organized in the village for the lottery?
3. What happens next after it is settled that Bill Hutchinson holds the paper with the black dot?
4. Why have they made the switch to paper slips this year?
5. What do the villagers begin to do at that point?
6. What does Mr. Adams discuss with Old man Warner?
7. Whose name was the first to be called up for the lottery?
8. In naming the holidays observed by the village, how does Jackson hint at the macabre nature of the lottery?
9. Mostly the townspeople seem to look forward to the lottery. What comment is Jackson making on human nature at this point?
10. How does Jackson make the scene seem like a normal village fair?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper comparing THE LOTTERY with the infamous Salem witch trials. What is the common psychological thread that runs through the people of the village and the citizens of Salem intent on removing witches?
Essay Topic 2
Write two or three paragraphs about how a tradition was defeated in the USA. [For example, you might write about Women's Suffrage and how they got the right to vote.]
Essay Topic 3
Write a few paragraphs about fear of the unknown. Think of a time when you were anxious because you did not know what was going to happen. Then write down what you were afraid of and whether your fears were real or unfounded.
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)