Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the village look like on the morning of the lottery?
2. Why do they stop using the wood chips?
3. What is the atmosphere of the village as the lottery gets under way?
4. What is Mr. Zanini's distinction at the lottery?
5. In a large village, how long might the lottery last?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Dunbar come forward to draw in place of her husband?
2. How does the Martin family make the scene appear like a gathering of everyday families?
3. What does Mr. Adams discuss with Old man Warner?
4. What do the villagers begin to do at that point?
5. What kind of lists are required for the conduct of the lottery?
6. What does the setting of THE LOTTERY say about the citizens of the village.
7. Mostly the townspeople seem to look forward to the lottery. What comment is Jackson making on human nature at this point?
8. In naming the holidays observed by the village, how does Jackson hint at the macabre nature of the lottery?
9. Have there ever been deviations from tradition in the past? What are they?
10. What formality occurs before the lottery is officially open?
Write a paper about how children might be affected by the violence of the lottery. What will Davie Hutchinson be like when he is a teenager?
Write two or three paragraphs on the character of Mrs. Delacroix. Use your imagination to explain why she selected the largest stone she could find to throw at Tessie.
Write a paper on what you believe Shirley Jackson is satirizing in THE LOTTERY. Explain whether you think there is a religious undertone to the story.
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)