|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Old man Warner's meaning when he says lottery in June, corn harvest soon?
(a) He thinks the lottery magically makes the harvest good.
(b) He thinks that June is too soon for the lottery.
(c) He judges time by the lottery.
(d) He sees the lottery as a way to fill time until the harvest.
2. When Mr. Summers says it is time, what does everyone do?
(a) Drop their papers in the box.
(b) Look at their papers and not show them.
(c) Tear their papers into small pieces.
(d) Look at their papers and hold them up.
3. What happens to Tessie first?
(a) A stone hits her on the side of her head.
(b) She is given a tiara.
(c) The women form a circle around her to change her clothes.
(d) They present her with roses.
4. How long has the lottery been going on?
(a) Since the Pilgrims.
(b) Since before people arrived from Europe.
(c) For the last five years.
(d) Over several generations.
5. What does Mr. Graves carry onto the village square?
(a) An American flag.
(b) A roster of the village people.
(c) A trumpet to begin the ceremony.
(d) A three-legged stool.
Short Answer Questions
1. Is everyone present as the lottery ceremony begins?
2. Where is Tessie by the time everyone has their stones?
3. What does Mrs. Delacroix have in her hands?
4. What is the age of majority in the village?
5. What does Tessie's paper mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of lists are required for the conduct of the lottery?
2. In place of the salute, what is required now of the lottery official?
3. Eventually, how do the people assemble as they wait for the lottery?
4. What does Mrs. Delacroix do to participate in the stoning?
5. After Mrs. Dunbar has spoken up, what does Mr. Summers ask about the Watsons?
6. How do the villagers know that Bill Hutchinson is holding the slip of paper with the black dot?
7. How is the black spot finally revealed?
8. What happens after Mr. Zanini draw his paper?
9. Who do they look for before continuing with the lottery?
10. How are people dressed for this annual event?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)