|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of story is THE LOTTERY?
(a) A satire.
(b) A comedy.
(c) A drama.
(d) A history.
2. Why are people gathering in the town square?
(a) The mayor is making a speech.
(b) They are voting whether to discontinue the lottery.
(c) It is the annual lottery day.
(d) There is a band concert that morning.
3. What does Tessie's paper mean?
(a) She is out of the lottery.
(b) She gets to select the winner.
(c) She will have to draw again.
(d) She has been chosen.
4. Who is the first to hold up his slip of paper?
(a) Mr. Graves.
(b) Mr. Summers.
(c) Bill Hutchinson.
(d) Old man Warner.
5. What does Tessie do with her paper?
(a) She holds it behind her back.
(b) She looks at it and is dissapointed that hers is not the one.
(c) She puts it in her purse.
(d) She runs around showing it to all the women.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do some people think about discontinuing the lottery?
2. Though they do not remember all the ancient ritual, what do the villagers all remember?
3. How many people live in the village?
4. What does Mrs. Delacroix have in her hands?
5. What are the men doing before it is time for the lottery to begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jackson draw the reader into the spirit of the lottery?
2. How do the villagers know that Bill Hutchinson is holding the slip of paper with the black dot?
3. Mostly the townspeople seem to look forward to the lottery. What comment is Jackson making on human nature at this point?
4. How does Tessie try to widen the odds of her drawing the black dot?
5. Why have they made the switch to paper slips this year?
6. As Tessie continues to voice her objections, what does her husband do?
7. What is different about this year's lottery?
8. After Mrs. Dunbar has spoken up, what does Mr. Summers ask about the Watsons?
9. Why is Mr. Summers always in charge of the lottery every year?
10. After locating the holder of the black spot, what do the villagers do?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)