|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jackson hint in the story when Tessie is very late arriving?
(a) That Tessie is a scatter brain.
(b) That Tessie is always late for everything.
(c) That Tessie has a premonition of something bad.
(d) That Tessie is not originally from the village.
2. What do some people think about discontinuing the lottery?
(a) Some people want to make the lottery grander.
(b) Some people want to discontinue the lottery.
(c) Some people want to hold the lottery twice a year.
(d) Some people want to change the date of the lottery.
3. Where is Tessie by the time everyone has their stones?
(a) Running to hide.
(b) With her family.
(c) Behind Mr. Summers.
(d) In the center.
4. What does Tessie's paper mean?
(a) She has been chosen.
(b) She gets to select the winner.
(c) She is out of the lottery.
(d) She will have to draw again.
5. What is being used for the first time this year?
(a) A new black box.
(b) A bigger stool.
(c) Slips of paper instead of wood chips.
(d) Black and white ping pong balls.
6. What are the women doing before the lottery?
(a) Avoicing each other's eyes.
(b) Running around looking for their children.
(c) Putting up the bunting.
(d) Standing together and gossiping.
7. What is revealing about the social order of the village?
(a) The women hold a superior position.
(b) The children and running around unsupervised.
(c) The men are drinking ale.
(d) The men and women are not together.
8. Why can Clyde Dunbar not draw for his family?
(a) He is at home with a broken leg.
(b) He is in the military.
(c) He is in the hospital.
(d) He is on duty as fireman.
9. Who gets to go first in the second drawing?
(a) The oldest son draws first.
(b) Bill draws first.
(c) The three children draw first.
(d) Tessie insists on drawing first.
10. How many people live in the village?
(a) Less than 100.
(c) Just under 1,000.
(d) About 300.
11. What is Mrs. Hutchinson's behavior as she makes her way to her family?
(a) Somber and angry.
(b) Perplexed and confused.
(c) Anxious and in a hurry.
(d) Laughing and apologizing for being late.
12. Which man holds the winning paper?
(a) Bob Martin.
(b) Bill Hutchinson.
(c) Mr. Graves.
(d) Old man Warner.
13. What is Mr. Summers' position in the town?
(a) He is the custodian of the town square.
(b) He is the superintendant of schools.
(c) He is the town leader and owner of a coal business.
(d) He is the religious leader of the village.
14. How do they list the villagers before the lottery begins?
(a) By heads of families.
(b) From the oldest to the youngest.
(c) In alphabetical order.
(d) From the youngest to the oldest.
15. What is the instruction given to the villagers about what to do after they have drawn?
(a) They are to register with Mr. Graves as having drawn.
(b) They are to look at their papers but not show anyone else.
(c) They are not to look at thier papers untill all have drawn.
(d) They are to show their papers to everyone.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is everyone participating, even the Hutchinson children?
2. What does Tessie do with her paper?
3. Who needs help from Mr. Graves to open his slip?
4. What is Old man Warner's meaning when he says lottery in June, corn harvest soon?
5. Why does his oldest son not draw for him?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)