|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jackson hint in the story when Tessie is very late arriving?
(a) That Tessie is always late for everything.
(b) That Tessie is not originally from the village.
(c) That Tessie is a scatter brain.
(d) That Tessie has a premonition of something bad.
2. Is everyone present as the lottery ceremony begins?
(a) No, one entire family is missing.
(b) Yes, they do not start until all are there.
(c) Yes, it is a crime to be late for the lottery.
(d) No, one woman comes running up late.
3. What serious formality occurs before the lottery begins?
(a) The blessing of the box.
(b) The singing of the village anthem.
(c) The swearing in of the officials.
(d) The pledge of allegiance.
4. Who is the last person accounted for before the lottery begins?
(a) Mrs. Dunbar.
(b) The tall Watson boy.
(c) Tessie Hutchinson.
(d) Old man Warner.
5. What is on each of the children's papers?
(a) Nothing. They are blank.
(b) Colored pictures.
(c) A secret message.
(d) Gift certificates.
6. What is Mr. Zanini's distinction at the lottery?
(a) He is the oldest man at the lottery.
(b) He is the first one to draw in the lottery.
(c) He is the last one to draw a slip from the black box.
(d) He is the only single man there.
7. What is the irony of Tessie Hutchinson drawing the black dot?
(a) She was the only one who protested the procedure.
(b) Tessie did not know the tradition.
(c) She drew the dot because she was late.
(d) Dessenters are a threat to tradition and must be removed.
8. What are some villages rumored to be doing with their lottery?
(a) Holding parades before the lottery.
(b) Discontinuing it.
(c) Combining it with another holiday.
(d) Adding a consolation prize.
9. Who is the first to hold up his slip of paper?
(a) Mr. Graves.
(b) Mr. Summers.
(c) Bill Hutchinson.
(d) Old man Warner.
10. What finally happens with Tessie?
(a) She has a heart attack and dies.
(b) She has to catch and throw back the stones.
(c) All the villagers stone her to death.
(d) She must dodge all the stones.
11. What is on Tessie Hutchinson's paper?
(b) A black spot.
(c) A message.
(d) The number 6.
12. What is the date of the lottery?
(a) February 2nd
(b) July 4th
(c) April 1st
(d) June 27th
13. Why are people gathering in the town square?
(a) They are voting whether to discontinue the lottery.
(b) There is a band concert that morning.
(c) It is the annual lottery day.
(d) The mayor is making a speech.
14. What is Jackson's first element of surprise in the story?
(a) Mr. Graves forgetting the stool.
(b) Tessie being late for the lottery.
(c) Mr. Summers changing the tradition.
(d) The boys gathering stones.
15. What is the instruction given to the villagers about what to do after they have drawn?
(a) They are to look at their papers but not show anyone else.
(b) They are not to look at thier papers untill all have drawn.
(c) They are to show their papers to everyone.
(d) They are to register with Mr. Graves as having drawn.
Short Answer Questions
1. What accusation does Tessie make to Joe Summers?
2. Where is Tessie by the time everyone has their stones?
3. How many slips do the Hutchinson's take out of the box?
4. What does Tessie's paper mean?
5. What trouble does Bobby Martin get into?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)