|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Abstracts.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the tone as the story begins?
(a) Dry like a newspaper article.
(b) Dreary and ominous.
(c) An average day with overcast sky.
(d) Cheerful, bright, and colorful.
2. What is Tessie doing in the center of the circle of her friends, neighbors, and family?
(a) Dancing the lottery jig.
(b) Holding out her hands and crying that it is not fair.
(c) Gloating that she is the winner.
(d) Sitting on a makeshift throne.
3. Who is the first to hold up his slip of paper?
(a) Mr. Summers.
(b) Mr. Graves.
(c) Bill Hutchinson.
(d) Old man Warner.
4. What does Mr. Graves carry onto the village square?
(a) A three-legged stool.
(b) A trumpet to begin the ceremony.
(c) An American flag.
(d) A roster of the village people.
5. What serious formality occurs before the lottery begins?
(a) The swearing in of the officials.
(b) The singing of the village anthem.
(c) The pledge of allegiance.
(d) The blessing of the box.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mr. Summers says it is time, what does everyone do?
2. Which stones are the most prized for use in the lottery?
3. How do they assemble when it is time to begin the ceremony?
4. What is revealing about the social order of the village?
5. What is Mr. Summers' position in the town?
This section contains 319 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)