|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Abstracts.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do some people think about discontinuing the lottery?
(a) Some people want to hold the lottery twice a year.
(b) Some people want to change the date of the lottery.
(c) Some people want to discontinue the lottery.
(d) Some people want to make the lottery grander.
2. Who is the first person called to draw for the lottery?
(a) Mrs. Graves.
(b) Mr. Martin.
(c) Tessie Hutchinson.
(d) Mr. Adams.
3. Why do they stop using the wood chips?
(a) Trees are getting scarce.
(b) They want to be more modern.
(c) The village population is growing.
(d) People get splinters form the wood.
4. How many slips do the Hutchinson's take out of the box?
(a) Five. One for each member of the family.
(b) Two. One for Bill and one for Tessie.
(c) Three. One for Bill, Tessie, and Bill, Jr.
(d) Four. One for each the family members except the baby.
5. What is the traditional job of the village boys on Lottery Day?
(a) They collect stones and bring them to the town square.
(b) They form an honor guard for the lottery box.
(c) They keep the younger children off the grass.
(d) They play an exhibition football game before the lottery.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does his oldest son not draw for him?
2. In general, what type of village is the setting of the story?
3. What is Jackson's first element of surprise in the story?
4. Who is the last person accounted for before the lottery begins?
5. What is Tessie doing in the center of the circle of her friends, neighbors, and family?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)