|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Abstracts.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is in the black box?
(a) Wood chips.
(c) Slips of paper.
2. What accusation does Tessie make to Joe Summers?
(a) That he goes first every year to lessen his chances of getting the dot.
(b) That someone else should draw for him.
(c) That he cheated when he drew his own slip.
(d) That he doesn't like her and arranged for her to get the dot.
3. What is the tone as the story begins?
(a) Dry like a newspaper article.
(b) Cheerful, bright, and colorful.
(c) Dreary and ominous.
(d) An average day with overcast sky.
4. What does Mr. Summers carry onto the village square?
(a) A milking stool.
(b) The book of rules.
(c) The village flag.
(d) A black, wooden box.
5. How do they assemble when it is time to begin the ceremony?
(a) In double file lines.
(b) Crowding forward to try and be first to draw.
(c) Making a huge circle in the town square.
(d) Coming together in family groups.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the last person accounted for before the lottery begins?
2. In general, what type of village is the setting of the story?
3. Why does his oldest son not draw for him?
4. Why is everyone participating, even the Hutchinson children?
5. In the story, what idea does Shirley Jackson carefully avoid?
This section contains 298 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)