|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Abstracts.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Jackson's main theme in the story?
(a) The need for tradition in small towns.
(b) The stupidity of blindly following tradition.
(c) The need for change in a community.
(d) The value of human life.
2. How long has the lottery been going on?
(a) Since the Pilgrims.
(b) Since before people arrived from Europe.
(c) For the last five years.
(d) Over several generations.
3. What is stressed as important to the lottery all through the story?
(a) That everyone knows how the tradition began.
(b) That family is the least important thing in the village.
(c) That it is a tradition that must be continued.
(d) That everyone does not need to be present.
4. Is Mr. Summers exempt from the lottery?
(a) Yes. But he makes a pretense of drawing anyway.
(b) No. But he is the only one allowed to look into the box while drawing.
(c) Yes. Otherwise they would have to get a new administrator every year.
(d) No. He calls out his own name, too.
5. Where does Mrs. Hutchinson locate her husband and children?
(a) Off to one side of the group.
(b) In the middle of the group.
(c) At the end of the group.
(d) At the front of the group.
Short Answer Questions
1. What finally happens with Tessie?
2. What does Tessie do with her paper?
3. What is Jackson's first element of surprise in the story?
4. What does Mrs. Dunbar hold in her hands?
5. When is the lottery held each year?
This section contains 341 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)