|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jurgis also become?
2. What is the man at the political meeting speaking of?
3. What does Ona do before she dies?
4. How much money does Jurgis have in the bank at this time?
5. Why was Jurgis released late from prison?
Short Essay Questions
1. Jurgis happens upon another political meeting. What is the topic this time?
2. What does Ostrinski tell Jurgis should happen in Chicago?
3. What is the first crime Jack Duane and Jurgis commit?
4. What happens to Jurgis' $100?
5. What does Jurgis have complete faith in by the end of the story?
6. Is Jurgis successful in getting the rest of the family converted to socialism?
7. Where does the drunk young man take Jurgis?
8. What does Jurgis do as soon as he gets his new job?
9. What is the stroke of luck that Jurgis happens upon?
10. After the family is evicted, where do they go to live?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sinclair makes it pretty clear in the text the he feels socialism is the answer to the world's problems. Did you think Sinclair's arguments were convincing? Why or why not? How does socialism help Jurgis in this story?
Essay Topic 2
The deaths of the animals is not only shocking, but also horrifying. What do the animals symbolize in this story? What does their treatment have to say about society at this time? Do you really think the meatpacking bosses really just wanted to make a profit, regardless of the horrors? What does this say about these bosses? What does this say about society?
Essay Topic 3
The prison that Jurgis winds up in seems to have better living conditions than his home. What do you think is Sinclair trying to say about society and its criminals? If someone were to wind up in prison during this time, what motivation would they have for ever leaving, given the conditions they live in? Why do you think Jurgis ends up in jail so often? Do you think he does it on purpose? Why or why not?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)