|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the term socialists use for each other?
2. Whose house do the new friend and Jurgis go to?
3. How did Stanislovas die?
4. The answer to #166 are the _______ for the success of Packington.
5. What does Jurgis do with the money the children bring home?
Short Essay Questions
1. How far away is Jurgis' new job?
2. What happens when Jurgis goes back to the fertilizer mill?
3. Why doesn't Ona come to the courtroom during Jurgis' sentencing?
4. Overcome with grief after Ona's death, what does Jurgis do to soothe his sorrows?
5. What does Ostrinski tell Jurgis should happen in Chicago?
6. Who is the visitor Jurgis gets in jail?
7. What caused little Antanas' death?
8. What happens when there is a strike at the stockyard where Jurgis is working?
9. Why was Jurgis released from prison later than he thought would be?
10. What happens to Jurgis' $100?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel "The Jungle" wasn't just praised for its writing style, it was also a book that really changed the way the meatpacking industry worked. What do you think the book was so successful in spreading its message? What shocked you most about this book? In what way has your view of your diet changed, if any?
Essay Topic 2
The title, "The Jungle," is certainly applicable to the story itself. Explain the different ways a jungle relates to the characters, to the setting, and to the events in this story. How is Chicago like a jungle? Do you agree that this title was the best choice? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The idea of the union seems to be a good one for the workers, but does it ever help the workers? How? Why do you think the union fails in some of their efforts? Why do you think Jurgis ignores the call to strike? In today's world, unions seem to do more good, but do you think they are helpful to workers? Why or why not? In what ways can they harm the working environment?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)