|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Stanislovas die?
2. Where does Jurgis eventually get a job, only to lose it once he finds out who Jurgis is?
3. Who does Jurgis ask for another job?
4. Who does Jurgis find to help with Ona's pregnancy?
5. What does Jurgis find out when he walks home from prison?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first crime Jack Duane and Jurgis commit?
2. What caused little Antanas' death?
3. After the speech is over, what does Jurgis do?
4. Who is the visitor Jurgis gets in jail?
5. Jurgis happens upon another political meeting. What is the topic this time?
6. What happens to Jurgis' $100?
7. What does Ostrinski tell Jurgis should happen in Chicago?
8. What is the senator talking about as Jurgis overhears a political meeting?
9. Where does Jurgis finally find the job that makes him happy, though he does not hold onto it for long?
10. Overcome with grief after Ona's death, what does Jurgis do to soothe his sorrows?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of love is one that seems to peek out of the story at times, causing the reader to realize the humanity of the story as well. Why do you think Ona and Jurgis love each other? How do they show their love to each other? In the case of Marija and Tamoszius, why were they included in the story? What purpose do they serve? What is Sinclair saying about love?
Essay Topic 2
The narrator of the story is Sinclair himself, which gives the story a different tone than most other novels. That said, how do you think Sinclair's narration has affected the story? What does this story say about Sinclair? Do you think the story could have been told more truthfully by Jurgis? What would have happened if the story had been told from the meat packer manager's point of view?
Essay Topic 3
The character of Jurgis is the main character of the story, but what does he represent in a larger sense? What are some characteristics that make him easy for a reader to relate to? Why did he leave his homeland to come to the United States? Was this a good idea? Why or why not?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)