|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to cause Jurgis to lose his job?
2. What is the speaker talking about?
3. Who does Jurgis hear screaming when he reaches the boarding house?
4. What does the new friend give Jurgis?
5. In the next election, how does the socialist vote do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What caused little Antanas' death?
2. What does Jurgis have complete faith in by the end of the story?
3. How does Jurgis response to the news of Antanas' death?
4. What does Jurgis learn about his family when he asks around?
5. What does Jurgis learn about Marija's whereabouts?
6. What happens when there is a strike at the stockyard where Jurgis is working?
7. When Jurgis gets out of the hospital, what does he do?
8. Where does Jurgis next get a job at, that turns out to be a good position?
9. What is the impassioned speech actually talking about in this chapter?
10. When Jurgis goes back to Chicago for the summer, where does he find employment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of the union seems to be a good one for the workers, but does it ever help the workers? How? Why do you think the union fails in some of their efforts? Why do you think Jurgis ignores the call to strike? In today's world, unions seem to do more good, but do you think they are helpful to workers? Why or why not? In what ways can they harm the working environment?
Essay Topic 2
The idea of not being able to speak English is one that hurts Jurgis and his family in the beginning of their time in the US. Describe three situations in which knowing English would have helped Jurgis and his family. What are some ways that the packing plant owners took advantage of the workers because of the language barrier? Do you think it was fair of the packers to take advantage of the workers? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Jurgis has a motto of "I will work harder." Does this attitude ever help Jurgis? Describe how. List at least two situations in which this positive attitude does not help Jurgis? Do you think this is a good motto to live by? Why or why not?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)