|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Is Jurgis success with the action of #169?
2. Why is Jurgis turned down for the job in #111?
3. Who helps Jurgis find a job?
4. What is the speaker explaining in an impassioned speech?
5. Besides his son, what does Jurgis enjoy in his life now?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the midwife described to the reader?
2. What does Ostrinski tell Jurgis should happen in Chicago?
3. Where does the drunk young man take Jurgis?
4. What is the stroke of luck that Jurgis happens upon?
5. What is the first crime Jack Duane and Jurgis commit?
6. What does Jurgis do as soon as he gets his new job?
7. Why was Jurgis released from prison later than he thought would be?
8. What does Jurgis learn about his family when he asks around?
9. Who is the visitor Jurgis gets in jail?
10. When Jurgis gets out of the hospital, what does he do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The title, "The Jungle," is certainly applicable to the story itself. Explain the different ways a jungle relates to the characters, to the setting, and to the events in this story. How is Chicago like a jungle? Do you agree that this title was the best choice? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The food that is available to the workers is not only bad, but also filled with ingredients that could harm them. Why do you think the meat packers don't care if their foods hurt their workers? Doesn't this seem to be working against them? Why does this lack of high quality food seem to continue on for so long? Why do you think the inspectors don't care?
Essay Topic 3
The prison that Jurgis winds up in seems to have better living conditions than his home. What do you think is Sinclair trying to say about society and its criminals? If someone were to wind up in prison during this time, what motivation would they have for ever leaving, given the conditions they live in? Why do you think Jurgis ends up in jail so often? Do you think he does it on purpose? Why or why not?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)