|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jurgis also become?
2. The answer to #166 are the _______ for the success of Packington.
3. How much money does Jurgis have in the bank at this time?
4. Who is Jurgis directed to talk to?
5. What is Jurgis' sentence?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Jurgis finally find the job that makes him happy, though he does not hold onto it for long?
2. After the family is evicted, where do they go to live?
3. Where does Jurgis next get a job at, that turns out to be a good position?
4. What is the senator talking about as Jurgis overhears a political meeting?
5. What does Jurgis learn about Marija's whereabouts?
6. Why was Jurgis released from prison later than he thought would be?
7. What does Jurgis decide to do when he can not find any work?
8. What happens when Jurgis goes back to the fertilizer mill?
9. Why doesn't Ona come to the courtroom during Jurgis' sentencing?
10. What happens to Jurgis' $100?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jurgis has a lot to deal with as he moves through this novel--more than most of us will ever see in our lifetime. What are some ways the Jurgis copes? How do his coping methods change during the novel? Do you agree with the way he tried to cope or not? What else could he have done to make the most of his troubles?
Essay Topic 2
The food that is available to the workers is not only bad, but also filled with ingredients that could harm them. Why do you think the meat packers don't care if their foods hurt their workers? Doesn't this seem to be working against them? Why does this lack of high quality food seem to continue on for so long? Why do you think the inspectors don't care?
Essay Topic 3
The women in "The Jungle" seem to be relegated to natural female roles, like mothering and holding simple jobs. What do you think this says about Sinclar's views of women? Does he believe all women are weak? Why or why not? What does Sinclair seem to say about Marija when she ends up being addicted to morphine and working as a prostitute?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)