|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Is Jurgis success with the action of #169?
2. What job does Jurgis get when he goes to the place in #127?
3. What does Jurgis tell the person in #175 they can now do?
4. How did Stanislovas die?
5. What does Jurgis decide to do with his newfound wealth?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the drunk young man take Jurgis?
2. What is the stroke of luck that Jurgis happens upon?
3. What happens when Jurgis goes back to the fertilizer mill?
4. What does Jurgis learn about his family when he asks around?
5. Jurgis happens upon another political meeting. What is the topic this time?
6. What does Jurgis have complete faith in by the end of the story?
7. How is the midwife described to the reader?
8. What is the impassioned speech actually talking about in this chapter?
9. When Jurgis gets out of the hospital, what does he do?
10. What is the senator talking about as Jurgis overhears a political meeting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jurgis has a motto of "I will work harder." Does this attitude ever help Jurgis? Describe how. List at least two situations in which this positive attitude does not help Jurgis? Do you think this is a good motto to live by? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Jurgis could be seen as a mythical tragic hero of the story. However, as with all heroes, he has flaws. What are some of Jurgis' flaws? What are some of his strengths? Do you think he is a hero in the end of the story? Why or why not? How does he affect others? Or is his battle an internal one?
Essay Topic 3
The novel "The Jungle" wasn't just praised for its writing style, it was also a book that really changed the way the meatpacking industry worked. What do you think the book was so successful in spreading its message? What shocked you most about this book? In what way has your view of your diet changed, if any?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)