|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jurgis do to sleep in a warm place?
2. What does Jurgis decide to do with his newfound wealth?
3. What is Jurgis filled with once he is done drinking?
4. What does Jurgis do with the money the children bring home?
5. What has happened to Ona's baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the visitor Jurgis gets in jail?
2. Where does the drunk young man take Jurgis?
3. After the speech is over, what does Jurgis do?
4. Why was Jurgis released from prison later than he thought would be?
5. What happens when Jurgis goes back to the fertilizer mill?
6. What is the senator talking about as Jurgis overhears a political meeting?
7. Where does Jurgis next get a job at, that turns out to be a good position?
8. What is the first crime Jack Duane and Jurgis commit?
9. How is the midwife described to the reader?
10. What does Jurgis learn about Marija's whereabouts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of the union seems to be a good one for the workers, but does it ever help the workers? How? Why do you think the union fails in some of their efforts? Why do you think Jurgis ignores the call to strike? In today's world, unions seem to do more good, but do you think they are helpful to workers? Why or why not? In what ways can they harm the working environment?
Essay Topic 2
The novel "The Jungle" wasn't just praised for its writing style, it was also a book that really changed the way the meatpacking industry worked. What do you think the book was so successful in spreading its message? What shocked you most about this book? In what way has your view of your diet changed, if any?
Essay Topic 3
The prison that Jurgis winds up in seems to have better living conditions than his home. What do you think is Sinclair trying to say about society and its criminals? If someone were to wind up in prison during this time, what motivation would they have for ever leaving, given the conditions they live in? Why do you think Jurgis ends up in jail so often? Do you think he does it on purpose? Why or why not?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)