|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the next election, how does the socialist vote do?
2. What is the name of the boarding house where the family first stayed and returns to?
3. What has happened to Ona's baby?
4. The answer to #166 are the _______ for the success of Packington.
5. Who does Jurgis ask for another job?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the midwife described to the reader?
2. What is the impassioned speech actually talking about in this chapter?
3. What caused little Antanas' death?
4. What does Jurgis have complete faith in by the end of the story?
5. Why doesn't Ona come to the courtroom during Jurgis' sentencing?
6. After the speech is over, what does Jurgis do?
7. When Jurgis goes back to Chicago for the summer, where does he find employment?
8. What is the stroke of luck that Jurgis happens upon?
9. Who is the visitor Jurgis gets in jail?
10. How far away is Jurgis' new job?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of not being able to speak English is one that hurts Jurgis and his family in the beginning of their time in the US. Describe three situations in which knowing English would have helped Jurgis and his family. What are some ways that the packing plant owners took advantage of the workers because of the language barrier? Do you think it was fair of the packers to take advantage of the workers? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The food that is available to the workers is not only bad, but also filled with ingredients that could harm them. Why do you think the meat packers don't care if their foods hurt their workers? Doesn't this seem to be working against them? Why does this lack of high quality food seem to continue on for so long? Why do you think the inspectors don't care?
Essay Topic 3
Jurgis could be seen as a mythical tragic hero of the story. However, as with all heroes, he has flaws. What are some of Jurgis' flaws? What are some of his strengths? Do you think he is a hero in the end of the story? Why or why not? How does he affect others? Or is his battle an internal one?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)