|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The answer to #166 are the _______ for the success of Packington.
2. What does Jurgis tell the person in #175 they can now do?
3. Where do the children get food?
4. What happens to cause Jurgis to lose his job?
5. What does Jurgis also become?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Jurgis successful in getting the rest of the family converted to socialism?
2. Why doesn't Ona come to the courtroom during Jurgis' sentencing?
3. What does Jurgis decide to do when he can not find any work?
4. What does Jurgis learn about Marija's whereabouts?
5. What happens to Jurgis' $100?
6. What happens when Jurgis goes back to the fertilizer mill?
7. What does Ostrinski tell Jurgis should happen in Chicago?
8. When Jurgis gets out of the hospital, what does he do?
9. How does Jurgis response to the news of Antanas' death?
10. What does Jurgis learn about his family when he asks around?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jurgis has a motto of "I will work harder." Does this attitude ever help Jurgis? Describe how. List at least two situations in which this positive attitude does not help Jurgis? Do you think this is a good motto to live by? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The narrator of the story is Sinclair himself, which gives the story a different tone than most other novels. That said, how do you think Sinclair's narration has affected the story? What does this story say about Sinclair? Do you think the story could have been told more truthfully by Jurgis? What would have happened if the story had been told from the meat packer manager's point of view?
Essay Topic 3
Survival of the fittest seems to be an overarching theme of this novel. Those who struggle to survive are often doomed to fail, while those who persevere still don't get all they want. Choose three character from the story and describe how they struggled to survive. What was the outcome? Who were the fittest in the story? Why did you choose these characters?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)