|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Jack Duane?
2. Besides his son, what does Jurgis enjoy in his life now?
3. What does Jurgis also become?
4. Who does Jurgis hear screaming when he reaches the boarding house?
5. Who has cut their hand and can not work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the drunk young man take Jurgis?
2. How is the midwife described to the reader?
3. When Jurgis gets out of the hospital, what does he do?
4. What is the senator talking about as Jurgis overhears a political meeting?
5. What happens when there is a strike at the stockyard where Jurgis is working?
6. Where does Jurgis finally find the job that makes him happy, though he does not hold onto it for long?
7. Where does Jurgis next get a job at, that turns out to be a good position?
8. What is the stroke of luck that Jurgis happens upon?
9. Why doesn't Ona come to the courtroom during Jurgis' sentencing?
10. What happens to Jurgis' $100?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the end, Jurgis is left with no one. What does this say about the American dream? What do you think will happen to Jurgis next? Do you think his future will be a happy one? Why or why not? Do you think the ending is a happy one? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The character of Jurgis is the main character of the story, but what does he represent in a larger sense? What are some characteristics that make him easy for a reader to relate to? Why did he leave his homeland to come to the United States? Was this a good idea? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
If you were in Jurgis and Ona's financial position, would you have still held a veselija? Why or why not? Why do you think they still had this traditional reception even though they couldn't afford it? Do you think it was fair for them to have to go into debt for this gathering? Why or why not? Was this the beginning of their troubles?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)