|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is socialism described as in this chapter?
2. Who is speaking at the nearby political meeting?
3. Why do people not want Jurgis to go upstairs?
4. Where does Jurgis try to get a job?
5. What does Jurgis do with the money the children bring home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Overcome with grief after Ona's death, what does Jurgis do to soothe his sorrows?
2. What is the impassioned speech actually talking about in this chapter?
3. What happens when there is a strike at the stockyard where Jurgis is working?
4. After the speech is over, what does Jurgis do?
5. When Jurgis goes back to Chicago for the summer, where does he find employment?
6. Jurgis happens upon another political meeting. What is the topic this time?
7. How far away is Jurgis' new job?
8. How does Jurgis response to the news of Antanas' death?
9. What does Jurgis do as soon as he gets his new job?
10. Why was Jurgis released from prison later than he thought would be?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The food that is available to the workers is not only bad, but also filled with ingredients that could harm them. Why do you think the meat packers don't care if their foods hurt their workers? Doesn't this seem to be working against them? Why does this lack of high quality food seem to continue on for so long? Why do you think the inspectors don't care?
Essay Topic 2
The novel "The Jungle" wasn't just praised for its writing style, it was also a book that really changed the way the meatpacking industry worked. What do you think the book was so successful in spreading its message? What shocked you most about this book? In what way has your view of your diet changed, if any?
Essay Topic 3
The title, "The Jungle," is certainly applicable to the story itself. Explain the different ways a jungle relates to the characters, to the setting, and to the events in this story. How is Chicago like a jungle? Do you agree that this title was the best choice? Why or why not?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)