|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jurgis decide to do with his newfound wealth?
2. How did Stanislovas die?
3. What does Jurgis do with the money the children bring home?
4. What does Jurgis try to convert the family to?
5. What is Jurgis now that he is out of jail again?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when there is a strike at the stockyard where Jurgis is working?
2. What happens when Jurgis goes back to the fertilizer mill?
3. Where does Jurgis finally find the job that makes him happy, though he does not hold onto it for long?
4. Where does the drunk young man take Jurgis?
5. What does Ostrinski tell Jurgis should happen in Chicago?
6. Why doesn't Ona come to the courtroom during Jurgis' sentencing?
7. What is the senator talking about as Jurgis overhears a political meeting?
8. What is the impassioned speech actually talking about in this chapter?
9. Where does Jurgis next get a job at, that turns out to be a good position?
10. Jurgis happens upon another political meeting. What is the topic this time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of the union seems to be a good one for the workers, but does it ever help the workers? How? Why do you think the union fails in some of their efforts? Why do you think Jurgis ignores the call to strike? In today's world, unions seem to do more good, but do you think they are helpful to workers? Why or why not? In what ways can they harm the working environment?
Essay Topic 2
The title, "The Jungle," is certainly applicable to the story itself. Explain the different ways a jungle relates to the characters, to the setting, and to the events in this story. How is Chicago like a jungle? Do you agree that this title was the best choice? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The character of Jurgis is the main character of the story, but what does he represent in a larger sense? What are some characteristics that make him easy for a reader to relate to? Why did he leave his homeland to come to the United States? Was this a good idea? Why or why not?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)