|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jurgis meet in this chapter?
2. Who does Jurgis ask for another job?
3. What does Marija give as the reason to not leave her job?
4. What is socialism described as in this chapter?
5. Whose house do the new friend and Jurgis go to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ostrinski tell Jurgis should happen in Chicago?
2. Jurgis happens upon another political meeting. What is the topic this time?
3. What does Jurgis learn about his family when he asks around?
4. When Jurgis goes back to Chicago for the summer, where does he find employment?
5. What happens when Jurgis goes back to the fertilizer mill?
6. What does Jurgis do as soon as he gets his new job?
7. What does Jurgis learn about Marija's whereabouts?
8. Why was Jurgis released from prison later than he thought would be?
9. What is the impassioned speech actually talking about in this chapter?
10. Where does the drunk young man take Jurgis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The title, "The Jungle," is certainly applicable to the story itself. Explain the different ways a jungle relates to the characters, to the setting, and to the events in this story. How is Chicago like a jungle? Do you agree that this title was the best choice? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The idea of love is one that seems to peek out of the story at times, causing the reader to realize the humanity of the story as well. Why do you think Ona and Jurgis love each other? How do they show their love to each other? In the case of Marija and Tamoszius, why were they included in the story? What purpose do they serve? What is Sinclair saying about love?
Essay Topic 3
Survival of the fittest seems to be an overarching theme of this novel. Those who struggle to survive are often doomed to fail, while those who persevere still don't get all they want. Choose three character from the story and describe how they struggled to survive. What was the outcome? Who were the fittest in the story? Why did you choose these characters?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)