|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jurgis consider as he is in the mansion?
2. What does Ona do before she dies?
3. During what month of 1904 are people out of work?
4. Who does Jurgis go to once he gets his new job?
5. Where does Jurgis try to get a job?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the midwife described to the reader?
2. Overcome with grief after Ona's death, what does Jurgis do to soothe his sorrows?
3. Why doesn't Ona come to the courtroom during Jurgis' sentencing?
4. What is the stroke of luck that Jurgis happens upon?
5. Jurgis happens upon another political meeting. What is the topic this time?
6. What does Ostrinski tell Jurgis should happen in Chicago?
7. Why was Jurgis released from prison later than he thought would be?
8. What is the senator talking about as Jurgis overhears a political meeting?
9. What is the first crime Jack Duane and Jurgis commit?
10. What happens when Jurgis goes back to the fertilizer mill?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of not being able to speak English is one that hurts Jurgis and his family in the beginning of their time in the US. Describe three situations in which knowing English would have helped Jurgis and his family. What are some ways that the packing plant owners took advantage of the workers because of the language barrier? Do you think it was fair of the packers to take advantage of the workers? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The novel "The Jungle" wasn't just praised for its writing style, it was also a book that really changed the way the meatpacking industry worked. What do you think the book was so successful in spreading its message? What shocked you most about this book? In what way has your view of your diet changed, if any?
Essay Topic 3
The prison that Jurgis winds up in seems to have better living conditions than his home. What do you think is Sinclair trying to say about society and its criminals? If someone were to wind up in prison during this time, what motivation would they have for ever leaving, given the conditions they live in? Why do you think Jurgis ends up in jail so often? Do you think he does it on purpose? Why or why not?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)