|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the family focused on in their life right now?
2. Where does Jurgis decide to begin volunteering?
3. What does the new friend give Jurgis?
4. Who does Jurgis find to help with Ona's pregnancy?
5. Besides his son, what does Jurgis enjoy in his life now?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jurgis learn about his family when he asks around?
2. After the speech is over, what does Jurgis do?
3. Why was Jurgis released from prison later than he thought would be?
4. What does Jurgis do as soon as he gets his new job?
5. What is the impassioned speech actually talking about in this chapter?
6. What does Jurgis have complete faith in by the end of the story?
7. What is the stroke of luck that Jurgis happens upon?
8. How is the midwife described to the reader?
9. Is Jurgis successful in getting the rest of the family converted to socialism?
10. Jurgis happens upon another political meeting. What is the topic this time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The deaths of the animals is not only shocking, but also horrifying. What do the animals symbolize in this story? What does their treatment have to say about society at this time? Do you really think the meatpacking bosses really just wanted to make a profit, regardless of the horrors? What does this say about these bosses? What does this say about society?
Essay Topic 2
Jurgis could be seen as a mythical tragic hero of the story. However, as with all heroes, he has flaws. What are some of Jurgis' flaws? What are some of his strengths? Do you think he is a hero in the end of the story? Why or why not? How does he affect others? Or is his battle an internal one?
Essay Topic 3
Sinclair is also quick to point out how horrible the system of capitalism really is. In what ways does capitalism not work for the characters in the story? Are there any benefits to the capitalist way? How does Jurgis specifically become hurt by the capitalist system? Do you think Sinclair is right? Why or why not?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)