|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who owns the business for which Jurgis now works?
2. What does Jurgis do after the speech?
3. What does Jurgis find out Marija is doing?
4. What is socialism described as in this chapter?
5. How does Jurgis feel when listening to this speech?
Short Essay Questions
1. Overcome with grief after Ona's death, what does Jurgis do to soothe his sorrows?
2. What caused little Antanas' death?
3. What is the senator talking about as Jurgis overhears a political meeting?
4. How far away is Jurgis' new job?
5. What does Ostrinski tell Jurgis should happen in Chicago?
6. What does Jurgis decide to do when he can not find any work?
7. What does Jurgis have complete faith in by the end of the story?
8. How does Jurgis response to the news of Antanas' death?
9. Where does Jurgis next get a job at, that turns out to be a good position?
10. What does Jurgis learn about Marija's whereabouts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The narrator of the story is Sinclair himself, which gives the story a different tone than most other novels. That said, how do you think Sinclair's narration has affected the story? What does this story say about Sinclair? Do you think the story could have been told more truthfully by Jurgis? What would have happened if the story had been told from the meat packer manager's point of view?
Essay Topic 2
The title, "The Jungle," is certainly applicable to the story itself. Explain the different ways a jungle relates to the characters, to the setting, and to the events in this story. How is Chicago like a jungle? Do you agree that this title was the best choice? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The deaths of the animals is not only shocking, but also horrifying. What do the animals symbolize in this story? What does their treatment have to say about society at this time? Do you really think the meatpacking bosses really just wanted to make a profit, regardless of the horrors? What does this say about these bosses? What does this say about society?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)