|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Jack and Jurgis do together once they're out of jail?
2. Where are the children coming home from?
3. What does Jurgis do as Ona is dying?
4. In the next election, how does the socialist vote do?
5. Who is Jurgis directed to talk to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How far away is Jurgis' new job?
2. What is the impassioned speech actually talking about in this chapter?
3. After the family is evicted, where do they go to live?
4. What is the first crime Jack Duane and Jurgis commit?
5. What does Jurgis learn about Marija's whereabouts?
6. What does Jurgis have complete faith in by the end of the story?
7. What does Jurgis learn about his family when he asks around?
8. What is the senator talking about as Jurgis overhears a political meeting?
9. Who is the visitor Jurgis gets in jail?
10. What does Jurgis do as soon as he gets his new job?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sinclair is also quick to point out how horrible the system of capitalism really is. In what ways does capitalism not work for the characters in the story? Are there any benefits to the capitalist way? How does Jurgis specifically become hurt by the capitalist system? Do you think Sinclair is right? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The character of Jurgis is the main character of the story, but what does he represent in a larger sense? What are some characteristics that make him easy for a reader to relate to? Why did he leave his homeland to come to the United States? Was this a good idea? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Jurgis has a lot to deal with as he moves through this novel--more than most of us will ever see in our lifetime. What are some ways the Jurgis copes? How do his coping methods change during the novel? Do you agree with the way he tried to cope or not? What else could he have done to make the most of his troubles?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)