|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are the children coming home from?
2. Who is Jurgis directed to talk to?
3. What is Jurgis now that he is out of jail again?
4. What does Jurgis decide to do with his newfound wealth?
5. What does the barkeep insist Jurgis gave him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Jurgis goes back to the fertilizer mill?
2. Jurgis happens upon another political meeting. What is the topic this time?
3. How does Jurgis response to the news of Antanas' death?
4. What does Jurgis learn about Marija's whereabouts?
5. What is the senator talking about as Jurgis overhears a political meeting?
6. What is the first crime Jack Duane and Jurgis commit?
7. What is the stroke of luck that Jurgis happens upon?
8. Why doesn't Ona come to the courtroom during Jurgis' sentencing?
9. Overcome with grief after Ona's death, what does Jurgis do to soothe his sorrows?
10. Who is the visitor Jurgis gets in jail?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel "The Jungle" wasn't just praised for its writing style, it was also a book that really changed the way the meatpacking industry worked. What do you think the book was so successful in spreading its message? What shocked you most about this book? In what way has your view of your diet changed, if any?
Essay Topic 2
The food that is available to the workers is not only bad, but also filled with ingredients that could harm them. Why do you think the meat packers don't care if their foods hurt their workers? Doesn't this seem to be working against them? Why does this lack of high quality food seem to continue on for so long? Why do you think the inspectors don't care?
Essay Topic 3
The idea of not being able to speak English is one that hurts Jurgis and his family in the beginning of their time in the US. Describe three situations in which knowing English would have helped Jurgis and his family. What are some ways that the packing plant owners took advantage of the workers because of the language barrier? Do you think it was fair of the packers to take advantage of the workers? Why or why not?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)