|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the most diseased meat sent?
2. What happened to the boy Stanislovas with the broken off ears?
3. Who is the leader of the band at the wedding reception?
4. What makes the family realize they will need to make more money?
5. Who is pregnant, as we find out in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the family learn they must also pay on their home?
2. Who is the narrator of the novel?
3. Why is it not a big problem for Jurgis to find work, even though he can't speak English?
4. What does Jurgis think about his act of beating up Conner?
5. Why can't any people pay off the 'new' houses they have bought?
6. Why does Jurgis get his job back at Brown's?
7. What does Elzbieta's factory do?
8. What is one of the ways the slaughterhouse bosses cheat the men out of money?
9. What is the problem when Jurgis shows up for his first day of work?
10. What does Jurgis begin to do in order to deal with the horrors of his situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The deaths of the animals is not only shocking, but also horrifying. What do the animals symbolize in this story? What does their treatment have to say about society at this time? Do you really think the meatpacking bosses really just wanted to make a profit, regardless of the horrors? What does this say about these bosses? What does this say about society?
Essay Topic 2
The food that is available to the workers is not only bad, but also filled with ingredients that could harm them. Why do you think the meat packers don't care if their foods hurt their workers? Doesn't this seem to be working against them? Why does this lack of high quality food seem to continue on for so long? Why do you think the inspectors don't care?
Essay Topic 3
The character of Jurgis is the main character of the story, but what does he represent in a larger sense? What are some characteristics that make him easy for a reader to relate to? Why did he leave his homeland to come to the United States? Was this a good idea? Why or why not?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)