|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has a child that dies immediately at the start of this chapter?
2. Who gets a horrible case of frostbite?
3. Who is also going to have to go to work, besides Ona?
4. What happens to the unborn calves of the slaughtered cows?
5. Where does Jurgis wait instead of going in to meet his boss?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jurgis decide to sign in order to give him more power in his new country?
2. Why is it not a big problem for Jurgis to find work, even though he can't speak English?
3. What is the impassioned speech actually talking about in this chapter?
4. How does Jurgis response to the news of Antanas' death?
5. Why was Jurgis released from prison later than he thought would be?
6. What happens when Jurgis goes back to the fertilizer mill?
7. Why doesn't Ona come to the courtroom during Jurgis' sentencing?
8. Who is the visitor Jurgis gets in jail?
9. Where does Jurgis next get a job at, that turns out to be a good position?
10. How far away is Jurgis' new job?
Essay Topic 1
Jurgis has a motto of "I will work harder." Does this attitude ever help Jurgis? Describe how. List at least two situations in which this positive attitude does not help Jurgis? Do you think this is a good motto to live by? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The women in "The Jungle" seem to be relegated to natural female roles, like mothering and holding simple jobs. What do you think this says about Sinclar's views of women? Does he believe all women are weak? Why or why not? What does Sinclair seem to say about Marija when she ends up being addicted to morphine and working as a prostitute?
Essay Topic 3
The novel "The Jungle" wasn't just praised for its writing style, it was also a book that really changed the way the meatpacking industry worked. What do you think the book was so successful in spreading its message? What shocked you most about this book? In what way has your view of your diet changed, if any?
This section contains 1,725 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)