|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reason Antanas can not find work?
2. What does Jurgis become a part of in response to the action in #40?
3. What kinds of cows are killed, which upsets Jurgis as he works?
4. What does Ona suddenly suffer from?
5. What happens when a steer gets loose at Jurgis' work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What holiday occurs during the time that Jurgis is in jail?
2. What does Elzbieta's factory do?
3. What does Jurgis begin to do in order to deal with the horrors of his situation?
4. How do Ona and Jurgis furnish their 'new' home?
5. What does the family learn they must also pay on their home?
6. What causes Marija to lose her job again?
7. After Jonas deserts the family, what does the family have to do in order to bring in more money?
8. Which character could be described as young, strong, and full of optimism?
9. Why does Jurgis get his job back at Brown's?
10. What is the suspected cause of Elzbieta's child's death?
Essay Topic 1
The idea of love is one that seems to peek out of the story at times, causing the reader to realize the humanity of the story as well. Why do you think Ona and Jurgis love each other? How do they show their love to each other? In the case of Marija and Tamoszius, why were they included in the story? What purpose do they serve? What is Sinclair saying about love?
Essay Topic 2
The prison that Jurgis winds up in seems to have better living conditions than his home. What do you think is Sinclair trying to say about society and its criminals? If someone were to wind up in prison during this time, what motivation would they have for ever leaving, given the conditions they live in? Why do you think Jurgis ends up in jail so often? Do you think he does it on purpose? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The narrator of the story is Sinclair himself, which gives the story a different tone than most other novels. That said, how do you think Sinclair's narration has affected the story? What does this story say about Sinclair? Do you think the story could have been told more truthfully by Jurgis? What would have happened if the story had been told from the meat packer manager's point of view?
This section contains 1,743 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)