Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reason Antanas can not find work?
2. What does Jurgis become a part of in response to the action in #40?
3. What kinds of cows are killed, which upsets Jurgis as he works?
4. What does Ona suddenly suffer from?
5. What happens when a steer gets loose at Jurgis' work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What holiday occurs during the time that Jurgis is in jail?
2. What does Elzbieta's factory do?
3. What does Jurgis begin to do in order to deal with the horrors of his situation?
4. How do Ona and Jurgis furnish their 'new' home?
5. What does the family learn they must also pay on their home?
6. What causes Marija to lose her job again?
7. After Jonas deserts the family, what does the family have to do in order to bring in more money?
8. Which character could be described as young, strong, and full of optimism?
9. Why does Jurgis get his job back at Brown's?
10. What is the suspected cause of Elzbieta's child's death?
Essay Topic 1
In the end, Jurgis is left with no one. What does this say about the American dream? What do you think will happen to Jurgis next? Do you think his future will be a happy one? Why or why not? Do you think the ending is a happy one? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Sinclair makes it pretty clear in the text the he feels socialism is the answer to the world's problems. Did you think Sinclair's arguments were convincing? Why or why not? How does socialism help Jurgis in this story?
Essay Topic 3
Survival of the fittest seems to be an overarching theme of this novel. Those who struggle to survive are often doomed to fail, while those who persevere still don't get all they want. Choose three character from the story and describe how they struggled to survive. What was the outcome? Who were the fittest in the story? Why did you choose these characters?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)