|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the answer to #86 realize while they are in jail?
2. What makes the family realize they will need to make more money?
3. Where does Jurgis get his next job?
4. Where is the wedding reception being held?
5. Who deserts the family and is never heard from again?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jurgis beat up Conner?
2. Who is the narrator of the novel?
3. After Jonas deserts the family, what does the family have to do in order to bring in more money?
4. Who does Marija fall in love with?
5. What does Elzbieta's factory do?
6. What does Ona suggest she do in order to marry Jurgis more quickly?
7. Which character could be described as young, strong, and full of optimism?
8. Why is it not a big problem for Jurgis to find work, even though he can't speak English?
9. Why can't any people pay off the 'new' houses they have bought?
10. What is the problem when Jurgis shows up for his first day of work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jurgis has a lot to deal with as he moves through this novel--more than most of us will ever see in our lifetime. What are some ways the Jurgis copes? How do his coping methods change during the novel? Do you agree with the way he tried to cope or not? What else could he have done to make the most of his troubles?
Essay Topic 2
In the end, Jurgis is left with no one. What does this say about the American dream? What do you think will happen to Jurgis next? Do you think his future will be a happy one? Why or why not? Do you think the ending is a happy one? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The idea of love is one that seems to peek out of the story at times, causing the reader to realize the humanity of the story as well. Why do you think Ona and Jurgis love each other? How do they show their love to each other? In the case of Marija and Tamoszius, why were they included in the story? What purpose do they serve? What is Sinclair saying about love?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)