|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has a child that dies immediately at the start of this chapter?
2. Who is advertising hot meals that ends up causing Jurgis to eventually drink?
3. Who has been pressured into prostituting herself?
4. What is another name for Chicago?
5. Who begins to develop a cough like the one that killed Jurgis' father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is one of the ways the slaughterhouse bosses cheat the men out of money?
2. What holiday occurs during the time that Jurgis is in jail?
3. Why does Jurgis beat up Conner?
4. Why does Jurgis decline to be in the union at first?
5. What is the Lithuanian family in the first chapter traveling to?
6. Why can't any people pay off the 'new' houses they have bought?
7. Who does Marija fall in love with?
8. What does Ona suggest she do in order to marry Jurgis more quickly?
9. Who wanted Ona and Jurgis to have a lavish wedding, even though they would have been fine with something simpler?
10. What happened to those who had a sore on their hand and they then got pickling brine on it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jurgis has a motto of "I will work harder." Does this attitude ever help Jurgis? Describe how. List at least two situations in which this positive attitude does not help Jurgis? Do you think this is a good motto to live by? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Survival of the fittest seems to be an overarching theme of this novel. Those who struggle to survive are often doomed to fail, while those who persevere still don't get all they want. Choose three character from the story and describe how they struggled to survive. What was the outcome? Who were the fittest in the story? Why did you choose these characters?
Essay Topic 3
The idea of the union seems to be a good one for the workers, but does it ever help the workers? How? Why do you think the union fails in some of their efforts? Why do you think Jurgis ignores the call to strike? In today's world, unions seem to do more good, but do you think they are helpful to workers? Why or why not? In what ways can they harm the working environment?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)