Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reason Antanas can not find work?
2. What does Jurgis become a part of in response to the action in #40?
3. What kinds of cows are killed, which upsets Jurgis as he works?
4. What does Ona suddenly suffer from?
5. What happens when a steer gets loose at Jurgis' work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What holiday occurs during the time that Jurgis is in jail?
2. What does Elzbieta's factory do?
3. What does Jurgis begin to do in order to deal with the horrors of his situation?
4. How do Ona and Jurgis furnish their 'new' home?
5. What does the family learn they must also pay on their home?
6. What causes Marija to lose her job again?
7. After Jonas deserts the family, what does the family have to do in order to bring in more money?
8. Which character could be described as young, strong, and full of optimism?
9. Why does Jurgis get his job back at Brown's?
10. What is the suspected cause of Elzbieta's child's death?
Essay Topic 1
The food that is available to the workers is not only bad, but also filled with ingredients that could harm them. Why do you think the meat packers don't care if their foods hurt their workers? Doesn't this seem to be working against them? Why does this lack of high quality food seem to continue on for so long? Why do you think the inspectors don't care?
Essay Topic 2
The deaths of the animals is not only shocking, but also horrifying. What do the animals symbolize in this story? What does their treatment have to say about society at this time? Do you really think the meatpacking bosses really just wanted to make a profit, regardless of the horrors? What does this say about these bosses? What does this say about society?
Essay Topic 3
The prison that Jurgis winds up in seems to have better living conditions than his home. What do you think is Sinclair trying to say about society and its criminals? If someone were to wind up in prison during this time, what motivation would they have for ever leaving, given the conditions they live in? Why do you think Jurgis ends up in jail so often? Do you think he does it on purpose? Why or why not?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)