|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the most diseased meat sent?
2. What does Jurgis hope for Stanislovas to do?
3. Why does Jurgis sell his vote?
4. What does Jurgis do to escape the horrors of his life?
5. Who finds Jurgis his first job?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the family is evicted, where do they go to live?
2. Is Jurgis successful in getting the rest of the family converted to socialism?
3. Why is Stanislovas afraid to go out into the snow?
4. What does Ostrinski tell Jurgis should happen in Chicago?
5. Where does the drunk young man take Jurgis?
6. Why can't Jurgis' father find work?
7. Why is it not a big problem for Jurgis to find work, even though he can't speak English?
8. What holiday occurs during the time that Jurgis is in jail?
9. Why was Jurgis released from prison later than he thought would be?
10. What does Jurgis begin to do in order to deal with the horrors of his situation?
Essay Topic 1
The idea of the union seems to be a good one for the workers, but does it ever help the workers? How? Why do you think the union fails in some of their efforts? Why do you think Jurgis ignores the call to strike? In today's world, unions seem to do more good, but do you think they are helpful to workers? Why or why not? In what ways can they harm the working environment?
Essay Topic 2
The prison that Jurgis winds up in seems to have better living conditions than his home. What do you think is Sinclair trying to say about society and its criminals? If someone were to wind up in prison during this time, what motivation would they have for ever leaving, given the conditions they live in? Why do you think Jurgis ends up in jail so often? Do you think he does it on purpose? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The food that is available to the workers is not only bad, but also filled with ingredients that could harm them. Why do you think the meat packers don't care if their foods hurt their workers? Doesn't this seem to be working against them? Why does this lack of high quality food seem to continue on for so long? Why do you think the inspectors don't care?
This section contains 1,705 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)