|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the unborn calves of the slaughtered cows?
2. Who gets their job back, only to lose it again for speaking up for their rights?
3. Where does Jurgis return to get his job back?
4. What is used in the sausages at the factory?
5. What is another word for 'consumption'?
Short Essay Questions
1. What begins to happen to Ona in this chapter?
2. Why is Stanislovas afraid to go out into the snow?
3. What is the suspected cause of Elzbieta's child's death?
4. How do Ona and Jurgis furnish their 'new' home?
5. What does Jurgis think about his act of beating up Conner?
6. What is the problem when Jurgis shows up for his first day of work?
7. What does Jurgis decide to sign in order to give him more power in his new country?
8. Who wanted Ona and Jurgis to have a lavish wedding, even though they would have been fine with something simpler?
9. Why are the sausages the family eats not helping their nutrition?
10. Why is it not a big problem for Jurgis to find work, even though he can't speak English?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jurgis could be seen as a mythical tragic hero of the story. However, as with all heroes, he has flaws. What are some of Jurgis' flaws? What are some of his strengths? Do you think he is a hero in the end of the story? Why or why not? How does he affect others? Or is his battle an internal one?
Essay Topic 2
The idea of love is one that seems to peek out of the story at times, causing the reader to realize the humanity of the story as well. Why do you think Ona and Jurgis love each other? How do they show their love to each other? In the case of Marija and Tamoszius, why were they included in the story? What purpose do they serve? What is Sinclair saying about love?
Essay Topic 3
If you were in Jurgis and Ona's financial position, would you have still held a veselija? Why or why not? Why do you think they still had this traditional reception even though they couldn't afford it? Do you think it was fair for them to have to go into debt for this gathering? Why or why not? Was this the beginning of their troubles?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)