|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jurgis think works against the American ideal of individuality?
2. Where does Jurgis return to get his job back?
3. What is used in the sausages at the factory?
4. Everything was used of the pig except the _________.
5. What 'helps' Ona and Jurgis furnish their home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the problem when Jurgis shows up for his first day of work?
2. What does Ona suggest she do in order to marry Jurgis more quickly?
3. What begins to happen to Ona in this chapter?
4. Who is the narrator of the novel?
5. What does Elzbieta's factory do?
6. Why is it not a big problem for Jurgis to find work, even though he can't speak English?
7. Why can't Jurgis' father find work?
8. How do Ona and Jurgis furnish their 'new' home?
9. What does Jurgis think about his act of beating up Conner?
10. What is one of the ways the slaughterhouse bosses cheat the men out of money?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The title, "The Jungle," is certainly applicable to the story itself. Explain the different ways a jungle relates to the characters, to the setting, and to the events in this story. How is Chicago like a jungle? Do you agree that this title was the best choice? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The idea of love is one that seems to peek out of the story at times, causing the reader to realize the humanity of the story as well. Why do you think Ona and Jurgis love each other? How do they show their love to each other? In the case of Marija and Tamoszius, why were they included in the story? What purpose do they serve? What is Sinclair saying about love?
Essay Topic 3
Jurgis has a motto of "I will work harder." Does this attitude ever help Jurgis? Describe how. List at least two situations in which this positive attitude does not help Jurgis? Do you think this is a good motto to live by? Why or why not?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)