|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has a child that dies immediately at the start of this chapter?
2. What does Jurgis think works against the American ideal of individuality?
3. What 'helps' Ona and Jurgis furnish their home?
4. Who falls in love with the violin player?
5. Who is the violin player?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Lithuanian family in the first chapter traveling to?
2. What does Elzbieta's factory do?
3. Why does Jurgis beat up Conner?
4. What holiday occurs during the time that Jurgis is in jail?
5. Who wanted Ona and Jurgis to have a lavish wedding, even though they would have been fine with something simpler?
6. What happens at Marija's job at the beef trimming factory?
7. What begins to happen to Ona in this chapter?
8. What does Jurgis begin to do in order to deal with the horrors of his situation?
9. What does the family learn they must also pay on their home?
10. How do Ona and Jurgis furnish their 'new' home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jurgis could be seen as a mythical tragic hero of the story. However, as with all heroes, he has flaws. What are some of Jurgis' flaws? What are some of his strengths? Do you think he is a hero in the end of the story? Why or why not? How does he affect others? Or is his battle an internal one?
Essay Topic 2
Jurgis has a lot to deal with as he moves through this novel--more than most of us will ever see in our lifetime. What are some ways the Jurgis copes? How do his coping methods change during the novel? Do you agree with the way he tried to cope or not? What else could he have done to make the most of his troubles?
Essay Topic 3
Sinclair is also quick to point out how horrible the system of capitalism really is. In what ways does capitalism not work for the characters in the story? Are there any benefits to the capitalist way? How does Jurgis specifically become hurt by the capitalist system? Do you think Sinclair is right? Why or why not?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)