|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gets their job back, only to lose it again for speaking up for their rights?
2. What is Marija's new job?
3. Where does Jurgis have to go after his first day back at work?
4. What does Jurgis do to the answer to #82?
5. What is another name for Chicago?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Jonas deserts the family, what does the family have to do in order to bring in more money?
2. Who does Marija fall in love with?
3. What does Jurgis think about his act of beating up Conner?
4. Why are the sausages the family eats not helping their nutrition?
5. What does Jurgis decide to sign in order to give him more power in his new country?
6. What does Jurgis begin to do in order to deal with the horrors of his situation?
7. What is one of the ways the slaughterhouse bosses cheat the men out of money?
8. Which character could be described as young, strong, and full of optimism?
9. What holiday occurs during the time that Jurgis is in jail?
10. Who is Jurgis overcome with worry over?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The narrator of the story is Sinclair himself, which gives the story a different tone than most other novels. That said, how do you think Sinclair's narration has affected the story? What does this story say about Sinclair? Do you think the story could have been told more truthfully by Jurgis? What would have happened if the story had been told from the meat packer manager's point of view?
Essay Topic 2
In the end, Jurgis is left with no one. What does this say about the American dream? What do you think will happen to Jurgis next? Do you think his future will be a happy one? Why or why not? Do you think the ending is a happy one? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The women in "The Jungle" seem to be relegated to natural female roles, like mothering and holding simple jobs. What do you think this says about Sinclar's views of women? Does he believe all women are weak? Why or why not? What does Sinclair seem to say about Marija when she ends up being addicted to morphine and working as a prostitute?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)