|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who died in his sleep, working up until that point without trouble?
2. What makes the family realize they will need to make more money?
3. What happened to the boy Stanislovas with the broken off ears?
4. What does Ona give birth to?
5. Who gets their job back, only to lose it again for speaking up for their rights?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why can't Jurgis' father find work?
2. What is the suspected cause of Elzbieta's child's death?
3. What does Jurgis begin to do in order to deal with the horrors of his situation?
4. What is the problem when Jurgis shows up for his first day of work?
5. Why does Jurgis get his job back at Brown's?
6. What does Ona suggest she do in order to marry Jurgis more quickly?
7. After Jonas deserts the family, what does the family have to do in order to bring in more money?
8. What does the family learn they must also pay on their home?
9. What is one of the ways the slaughterhouse bosses cheat the men out of money?
10. What is the Lithuanian family in the first chapter traveling to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel "The Jungle" wasn't just praised for its writing style, it was also a book that really changed the way the meatpacking industry worked. What do you think the book was so successful in spreading its message? What shocked you most about this book? In what way has your view of your diet changed, if any?
Essay Topic 2
The depressing surroundings are horrendous to live in as the family begins to find work in Chicago. Describe this setting and why it's so deplorable. How does the house affect the family? What are some things that occur as a result of the living conditions? Should this house have been inhabited by people? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Jurgis has a motto of "I will work harder." Does this attitude ever help Jurgis? Describe how. List at least two situations in which this positive attitude does not help Jurgis? Do you think this is a good motto to live by? Why or why not?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)