Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reason Antanas can not find work?
2. What does Jurgis become a part of in response to the action in #40?
3. What kinds of cows are killed, which upsets Jurgis as he works?
4. What does Ona suddenly suffer from?
5. What happens when a steer gets loose at Jurgis' work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What holiday occurs during the time that Jurgis is in jail?
2. What does Elzbieta's factory do?
3. What does Jurgis begin to do in order to deal with the horrors of his situation?
4. How do Ona and Jurgis furnish their 'new' home?
5. What does the family learn they must also pay on their home?
6. What causes Marija to lose her job again?
7. After Jonas deserts the family, what does the family have to do in order to bring in more money?
8. Which character could be described as young, strong, and full of optimism?
9. Why does Jurgis get his job back at Brown's?
10. What is the suspected cause of Elzbieta's child's death?
Essay Topic 1
Sinclair makes it pretty clear in the text the he feels socialism is the answer to the world's problems. Did you think Sinclair's arguments were convincing? Why or why not? How does socialism help Jurgis in this story?
Essay Topic 2
The idea of love is one that seems to peek out of the story at times, causing the reader to realize the humanity of the story as well. Why do you think Ona and Jurgis love each other? How do they show their love to each other? In the case of Marija and Tamoszius, why were they included in the story? What purpose do they serve? What is Sinclair saying about love?
Essay Topic 3
The novel "The Jungle" wasn't just praised for its writing style, it was also a book that really changed the way the meatpacking industry worked. What do you think the book was so successful in spreading its message? What shocked you most about this book? In what way has your view of your diet changed, if any?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)