|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Everything was used of the pig except the _________.
2. How long is their house to be rented for?
3. What is Marija's new job?
4. What happened to the man who was in Jurgis' job before?
5. Who begins to develop a cough like the one that killed Jurgis' father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the visitor Jurgis gets in jail?
2. What happens to Jurgis' $100?
3. Where does the drunk young man take Jurgis?
4. Is Jurgis successful in getting the rest of the family converted to socialism?
5. What does Elzbieta's factory do?
6. What is the senator talking about as Jurgis overhears a political meeting?
7. How does Jurgis response to the news of Antanas' death?
8. How do Ona and Jurgis furnish their 'new' home?
9. How far away is Jurgis' new job?
10. What does Jurgis decide to do when he can not find any work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Survival of the fittest seems to be an overarching theme of this novel. Those who struggle to survive are often doomed to fail, while those who persevere still don't get all they want. Choose three character from the story and describe how they struggled to survive. What was the outcome? Who were the fittest in the story? Why did you choose these characters?
Essay Topic 2
The depressing surroundings are horrendous to live in as the family begins to find work in Chicago. Describe this setting and why it's so deplorable. How does the house affect the family? What are some things that occur as a result of the living conditions? Should this house have been inhabited by people? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The food that is available to the workers is not only bad, but also filled with ingredients that could harm them. Why do you think the meat packers don't care if their foods hurt their workers? Doesn't this seem to be working against them? Why does this lack of high quality food seem to continue on for so long? Why do you think the inspectors don't care?
This section contains 1,701 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)