|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jurgis do to the answer to #82?
2. Who is working at the sausage factory?
3. What does Jurgis decide to do in order to help himself and his understanding?
4. Who falls in love with the violin player?
5. What does the person in #83 threaten to do if the character does not agree to prostitute herself?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Marija fall in love with?
2. What does Jurgis begin to do in order to deal with the horrors of his situation?
3. Why does Jurgis beat up Conner?
4. What happened to those who had a sore on their hand and they then got pickling brine on it?
5. Who wanted Ona and Jurgis to have a lavish wedding, even though they would have been fine with something simpler?
6. Who is Jurgis overcome with worry over?
7. Who is the narrator of the novel?
8. How do Ona and Jurgis furnish their 'new' home?
9. What does Ona suggest she do in order to marry Jurgis more quickly?
10. Why are the sausages the family eats not helping their nutrition?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The narrator of the story is Sinclair himself, which gives the story a different tone than most other novels. That said, how do you think Sinclair's narration has affected the story? What does this story say about Sinclair? Do you think the story could have been told more truthfully by Jurgis? What would have happened if the story had been told from the meat packer manager's point of view?
Essay Topic 2
Sinclair is also quick to point out how horrible the system of capitalism really is. In what ways does capitalism not work for the characters in the story? Are there any benefits to the capitalist way? How does Jurgis specifically become hurt by the capitalist system? Do you think Sinclair is right? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The title, "The Jungle," is certainly applicable to the story itself. Explain the different ways a jungle relates to the characters, to the setting, and to the events in this story. How is Chicago like a jungle? Do you agree that this title was the best choice? Why or why not?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)