|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who deserts the family and is never heard from again?
2. What barrier does not stand in the way of Jurgis getting a job?
3. Who is also going to have to go to work, besides Ona?
4. What does Jurgis feel confident the family can buy now that people have found jobs?
5. What causes Ona and Jurgis to be upset after the wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ona suggest she do in order to marry Jurgis more quickly?
2. What does Jurgis decide to sign in order to give him more power in his new country?
3. Why does Jurgis get his job back at Brown's?
4. What is the Lithuanian family in the first chapter traveling to?
5. What begins to happen to Ona in this chapter?
6. What causes Marija to lose her job again?
7. Why does Jurgis beat up Conner?
8. Who is the narrator of the novel?
9. What does Jurgis think about his act of beating up Conner?
10. Why are the sausages the family eats not helping their nutrition?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If you were in Jurgis and Ona's financial position, would you have still held a veselija? Why or why not? Why do you think they still had this traditional reception even though they couldn't afford it? Do you think it was fair for them to have to go into debt for this gathering? Why or why not? Was this the beginning of their troubles?
Essay Topic 2
The depressing surroundings are horrendous to live in as the family begins to find work in Chicago. Describe this setting and why it's so deplorable. How does the house affect the family? What are some things that occur as a result of the living conditions? Should this house have been inhabited by people? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The deaths of the animals is not only shocking, but also horrifying. What do the animals symbolize in this story? What does their treatment have to say about society at this time? Do you really think the meatpacking bosses really just wanted to make a profit, regardless of the horrors? What does this say about these bosses? What does this say about society?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)