|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the other name for a wedding reception, and is traditional for the characters in this story?
2. What is the name of the place where the pigs are killed?
3. What happened to the man who was in Jurgis' job before?
4. What barrier does not stand in the way of Jurgis getting a job?
5. Who is the violin player?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jurgis get his job back at Brown's?
2. How do Ona and Jurgis furnish their 'new' home?
3. What is the Lithuanian family in the first chapter traveling to?
4. What does the family learn they must also pay on their home?
5. What does Jurgis decide to sign in order to give him more power in his new country?
6. What does Ona suggest she do in order to marry Jurgis more quickly?
7. Why can't any people pay off the 'new' houses they have bought?
8. Who does Marija fall in love with?
9. What begins to happen to Ona in this chapter?
10. Why is Stanislovas afraid to go out into the snow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The deaths of the animals is not only shocking, but also horrifying. What do the animals symbolize in this story? What does their treatment have to say about society at this time? Do you really think the meatpacking bosses really just wanted to make a profit, regardless of the horrors? What does this say about these bosses? What does this say about society?
Essay Topic 2
The novel "The Jungle" wasn't just praised for its writing style, it was also a book that really changed the way the meatpacking industry worked. What do you think the book was so successful in spreading its message? What shocked you most about this book? In what way has your view of your diet changed, if any?
Essay Topic 3
The prison that Jurgis winds up in seems to have better living conditions than his home. What do you think is Sinclair trying to say about society and its criminals? If someone were to wind up in prison during this time, what motivation would they have for ever leaving, given the conditions they live in? Why do you think Jurgis ends up in jail so often? Do you think he does it on purpose? Why or why not?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)