|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the house become infested with?
2. Why does Jurgis sell his vote?
3. What is used in the sausages at the factory?
4. The bosses at the slaughterhouses cheat the men by ________ their hours of work.
5. What is another name for Chicago?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the stroke of luck that Jurgis happens upon?
2. What happens when there is a strike at the stockyard where Jurgis is working?
3. What is the suspected cause of Elzbieta's child's death?
4. Where does Jurgis next get a job at, that turns out to be a good position?
5. What happens to Jurgis' $100?
6. Why is Stanislovas afraid to go out into the snow?
7. Why is it not a big problem for Jurgis to find work, even though he can't speak English?
8. After the family is evicted, where do they go to live?
9. How does Jurgis response to the news of Antanas' death?
10. Where does Jurgis finally find the job that makes him happy, though he does not hold onto it for long?
Essay Topic 1
The character of Jurgis is the main character of the story, but what does he represent in a larger sense? What are some characteristics that make him easy for a reader to relate to? Why did he leave his homeland to come to the United States? Was this a good idea? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The depressing surroundings are horrendous to live in as the family begins to find work in Chicago. Describe this setting and why it's so deplorable. How does the house affect the family? What are some things that occur as a result of the living conditions? Should this house have been inhabited by people? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In the end, Jurgis is left with no one. What does this say about the American dream? What do you think will happen to Jurgis next? Do you think his future will be a happy one? Why or why not? Do you think the ending is a happy one? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,693 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)