|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who ignores the carcasses that pass by unchecked on the conveyor belt?
2. What does the family find out about their home?
3. What happens to Marija's wages?
4. What is used in the sausages at the factory?
5. What is Marija's new job?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the sausages the family eats not helping their nutrition?
2. Why is Stanislovas afraid to go out into the snow?
3. Why does Jurgis get his job back at Brown's?
4. What is one of the ways the slaughterhouse bosses cheat the men out of money?
5. What does Elzbieta's factory do?
6. What does Jurgis think about his act of beating up Conner?
7. Who is Jurgis overcome with worry over?
8. What does Jurgis decide to sign in order to give him more power in his new country?
9. What begins to happen to Ona in this chapter?
10. Which character could be described as young, strong, and full of optimism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of love is one that seems to peek out of the story at times, causing the reader to realize the humanity of the story as well. Why do you think Ona and Jurgis love each other? How do they show their love to each other? In the case of Marija and Tamoszius, why were they included in the story? What purpose do they serve? What is Sinclair saying about love?
Essay Topic 2
The narrator of the story is Sinclair himself, which gives the story a different tone than most other novels. That said, how do you think Sinclair's narration has affected the story? What does this story say about Sinclair? Do you think the story could have been told more truthfully by Jurgis? What would have happened if the story had been told from the meat packer manager's point of view?
Essay Topic 3
Jurgis could be seen as a mythical tragic hero of the story. However, as with all heroes, he has flaws. What are some of Jurgis' flaws? What are some of his strengths? Do you think he is a hero in the end of the story? Why or why not? How does he affect others? Or is his battle an internal one?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)