Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reason Antanas can not find work?
2. What does Jurgis become a part of in response to the action in #40?
3. What kinds of cows are killed, which upsets Jurgis as he works?
4. What does Ona suddenly suffer from?
5. What happens when a steer gets loose at Jurgis' work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What holiday occurs during the time that Jurgis is in jail?
2. What does Elzbieta's factory do?
3. What does Jurgis begin to do in order to deal with the horrors of his situation?
4. How do Ona and Jurgis furnish their 'new' home?
5. What does the family learn they must also pay on their home?
6. What causes Marija to lose her job again?
7. After Jonas deserts the family, what does the family have to do in order to bring in more money?
8. Which character could be described as young, strong, and full of optimism?
9. Why does Jurgis get his job back at Brown's?
10. What is the suspected cause of Elzbieta's child's death?
Essay Topic 1
The idea of not being able to speak English is one that hurts Jurgis and his family in the beginning of their time in the US. Describe three situations in which knowing English would have helped Jurgis and his family. What are some ways that the packing plant owners took advantage of the workers because of the language barrier? Do you think it was fair of the packers to take advantage of the workers? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Jurgis has a motto of "I will work harder." Does this attitude ever help Jurgis? Describe how. List at least two situations in which this positive attitude does not help Jurgis? Do you think this is a good motto to live by? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Sinclair makes it pretty clear in the text the he feels socialism is the answer to the world's problems. Did you think Sinclair's arguments were convincing? Why or why not? How does socialism help Jurgis in this story?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)