|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What holiday does Jurgis call 'their' holiday?
2. Why does Jurgis think the system of meatpacking is so efficient?
3. Everything was used of the pig except the _________.
4. Who deserts the family and is never heard from again?
5. What is the child's death presumably caused be?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the narrator of the novel?
2. Why does Jurgis get his job back at Brown's?
3. How do Ona and Jurgis furnish their 'new' home?
4. Who wanted Ona and Jurgis to have a lavish wedding, even though they would have been fine with something simpler?
5. Why can't Jurgis' father find work?
6. Why can't any people pay off the 'new' houses they have bought?
7. What holiday occurs during the time that Jurgis is in jail?
8. What does the family learn they must also pay on their home?
9. Why does Jurgis beat up Conner?
10. Who does Marija fall in love with?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The title, "The Jungle," is certainly applicable to the story itself. Explain the different ways a jungle relates to the characters, to the setting, and to the events in this story. How is Chicago like a jungle? Do you agree that this title was the best choice? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The idea of the union seems to be a good one for the workers, but does it ever help the workers? How? Why do you think the union fails in some of their efforts? Why do you think Jurgis ignores the call to strike? In today's world, unions seem to do more good, but do you think they are helpful to workers? Why or why not? In what ways can they harm the working environment?
Essay Topic 3
The idea of love is one that seems to peek out of the story at times, causing the reader to realize the humanity of the story as well. Why do you think Ona and Jurgis love each other? How do they show their love to each other? In the case of Marija and Tamoszius, why were they included in the story? What purpose do they serve? What is Sinclair saying about love?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)