|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is doctored with Borax to give it a certain flavor?
2. What freezes solid in the killing rooms because there is no heat in the slaughterhouse?
3. Who is working at the sausage factory?
4. What kind of job do the kids get?
5. What does Jurgis feel confident the family can buy now that people have found jobs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jurgis decide to sign in order to give him more power in his new country?
2. Why are the sausages the family eats not helping their nutrition?
3. What is the Lithuanian family in the first chapter traveling to?
4. Why is it not a big problem for Jurgis to find work, even though he can't speak English?
5. What happened to those who had a sore on their hand and they then got pickling brine on it?
6. Who does Marija fall in love with?
7. Why can't any people pay off the 'new' houses they have bought?
8. What does the family learn they must also pay on their home?
9. Who is the narrator of the novel?
10. What is the suspected cause of Elzbieta's child's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If you were in Jurgis and Ona's financial position, would you have still held a veselija? Why or why not? Why do you think they still had this traditional reception even though they couldn't afford it? Do you think it was fair for them to have to go into debt for this gathering? Why or why not? Was this the beginning of their troubles?
Essay Topic 2
Jurgis has a motto of "I will work harder." Does this attitude ever help Jurgis? Describe how. List at least two situations in which this positive attitude does not help Jurgis? Do you think this is a good motto to live by? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The idea of love is one that seems to peek out of the story at times, causing the reader to realize the humanity of the story as well. Why do you think Ona and Jurgis love each other? How do they show their love to each other? In the case of Marija and Tamoszius, why were they included in the story? What purpose do they serve? What is Sinclair saying about love?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)