|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is/are the name(s) of Ona's child(ren)?
2. What is used in the sausages at the factory?
3. What does the family find out about their home?
4. Where does the family of this novel originate from?
5. Who falls in love with the violin player?
Short Essay Questions
1. What begins to happen to Ona in this chapter?
2. Which character could be described as young, strong, and full of optimism?
3. What happened to those who had a sore on their hand and they then got pickling brine on it?
4. What holiday occurs during the time that Jurgis is in jail?
5. Why is Stanislovas afraid to go out into the snow?
6. Who does Marija fall in love with?
7. What does the family learn they must also pay on their home?
8. What happens at Marija's job at the beef trimming factory?
9. What does Elzbieta's factory do?
10. Why are the sausages the family eats not helping their nutrition?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The depressing surroundings are horrendous to live in as the family begins to find work in Chicago. Describe this setting and why it's so deplorable. How does the house affect the family? What are some things that occur as a result of the living conditions? Should this house have been inhabited by people? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The women in "The Jungle" seem to be relegated to natural female roles, like mothering and holding simple jobs. What do you think this says about Sinclar's views of women? Does he believe all women are weak? Why or why not? What does Sinclair seem to say about Marija when she ends up being addicted to morphine and working as a prostitute?
Essay Topic 3
Sinclair is also quick to point out how horrible the system of capitalism really is. In what ways does capitalism not work for the characters in the story? Are there any benefits to the capitalist way? How does Jurgis specifically become hurt by the capitalist system? Do you think Sinclair is right? Why or why not?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)