|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Marija's wages?
2. Where is the most diseased meat sent?
3. Who is the leader of the Democratic party?
4. Where does Jurgis have to go after his first day back at work?
5. What makes the family realize they will need to make more money?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is one of the ways the slaughterhouse bosses cheat the men out of money?
2. Why does Jurgis decline to be in the union at first?
3. What holiday occurs during the time that Jurgis is in jail?
4. What does Ona suggest she do in order to marry Jurgis more quickly?
5. Why can't any people pay off the 'new' houses they have bought?
6. Why is it not a big problem for Jurgis to find work, even though he can't speak English?
7. Who is Jurgis overcome with worry over?
8. Why can't Jurgis' father find work?
9. What does Jurgis begin to do in order to deal with the horrors of his situation?
10. What does Jurgis decide to sign in order to give him more power in his new country?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sinclair is also quick to point out how horrible the system of capitalism really is. In what ways does capitalism not work for the characters in the story? Are there any benefits to the capitalist way? How does Jurgis specifically become hurt by the capitalist system? Do you think Sinclair is right? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The depressing surroundings are horrendous to live in as the family begins to find work in Chicago. Describe this setting and why it's so deplorable. How does the house affect the family? What are some things that occur as a result of the living conditions? Should this house have been inhabited by people? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The character of Jurgis is the main character of the story, but what does he represent in a larger sense? What are some characteristics that make him easy for a reader to relate to? Why did he leave his homeland to come to the United States? Was this a good idea? Why or why not?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)