|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jurgis hope for Stanislovas to do?
2. Who is the leader of the Democratic party?
3. How do Ona and Jurgis pay for the furnishings they acquire?
4. What is doctored with Borax to give it a certain flavor?
5. Why does Jurgis think the system of meatpacking is so efficient?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Marija fall in love with?
2. Which character could be described as young, strong, and full of optimism?
3. What does Elzbieta's factory do?
4. What does Ona suggest she do in order to marry Jurgis more quickly?
5. What is the problem when Jurgis shows up for his first day of work?
6. What begins to happen to Ona in this chapter?
7. What holiday occurs during the time that Jurgis is in jail?
8. What causes Marija to lose her job again?
9. Why can't any people pay off the 'new' houses they have bought?
10. What does Jurgis begin to do in order to deal with the horrors of his situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The food that is available to the workers is not only bad, but also filled with ingredients that could harm them. Why do you think the meat packers don't care if their foods hurt their workers? Doesn't this seem to be working against them? Why does this lack of high quality food seem to continue on for so long? Why do you think the inspectors don't care?
Essay Topic 2
If you were in Jurgis and Ona's financial position, would you have still held a veselija? Why or why not? Why do you think they still had this traditional reception even though they couldn't afford it? Do you think it was fair for them to have to go into debt for this gathering? Why or why not? Was this the beginning of their troubles?
Essay Topic 3
The idea of love is one that seems to peek out of the story at times, causing the reader to realize the humanity of the story as well. Why do you think Ona and Jurgis love each other? How do they show their love to each other? In the case of Marija and Tamoszius, why were they included in the story? What purpose do they serve? What is Sinclair saying about love?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)