|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Jurgis and the rest of the family to become violently ill?
2. What does Jurgis realize he can never fix?
3. Where does Jurgis go to look for work?
4. What is another fee the family learns they need to pay on their home?
5. What does Jurgis think works against the American ideal of individuality?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jurgis get his job back at Brown's?
2. What does Jurgis do as soon as he gets his new job?
3. Overcome with grief after Ona's death, what does Jurgis do to soothe his sorrows?
4. Why doesn't Ona come to the courtroom during Jurgis' sentencing?
5. Why does Jurgis decline to be in the union at first?
6. What is the impassioned speech actually talking about in this chapter?
7. What causes Marija to lose her job again?
8. Which character could be described as young, strong, and full of optimism?
9. What is the stroke of luck that Jurgis happens upon?
10. How do Ona and Jurgis furnish their 'new' home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the end, Jurgis is left with no one. What does this say about the American dream? What do you think will happen to Jurgis next? Do you think his future will be a happy one? Why or why not? Do you think the ending is a happy one? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Jurgis has a lot to deal with as he moves through this novel--more than most of us will ever see in our lifetime. What are some ways the Jurgis copes? How do his coping methods change during the novel? Do you agree with the way he tried to cope or not? What else could he have done to make the most of his troubles?
Essay Topic 3
The prison that Jurgis winds up in seems to have better living conditions than his home. What do you think is Sinclair trying to say about society and its criminals? If someone were to wind up in prison during this time, what motivation would they have for ever leaving, given the conditions they live in? Why do you think Jurgis ends up in jail so often? Do you think he does it on purpose? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,718 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)