|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the unborn calves of the slaughtered cows?
2. Who is also going to have to go to work, besides Ona?
3. What does Jurgis feel confident the family can buy now that people have found jobs?
4. Who is the narrator of this novel?
5. What does the person in #83 threaten to do if the character does not agree to prostitute herself?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Stanislovas afraid to go out into the snow?
2. Why does Jurgis get his job back at Brown's?
3. What does Ona suggest she do in order to marry Jurgis more quickly?
4. What happens at Marija's job at the beef trimming factory?
5. Who is the narrator of the novel?
6. Why is it not a big problem for Jurgis to find work, even though he can't speak English?
7. What happened to those who had a sore on their hand and they then got pickling brine on it?
8. What does Elzbieta's factory do?
9. What causes Marija to lose her job again?
10. What does Jurgis decide to sign in order to give him more power in his new country?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The depressing surroundings are horrendous to live in as the family begins to find work in Chicago. Describe this setting and why it's so deplorable. How does the house affect the family? What are some things that occur as a result of the living conditions? Should this house have been inhabited by people? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The novel "The Jungle" wasn't just praised for its writing style, it was also a book that really changed the way the meatpacking industry worked. What do you think the book was so successful in spreading its message? What shocked you most about this book? In what way has your view of your diet changed, if any?
Essay Topic 3
In the end, Jurgis is left with no one. What does this say about the American dream? What do you think will happen to Jurgis next? Do you think his future will be a happy one? Why or why not? Do you think the ending is a happy one? Why or why not?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)