|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the collective group of businesses in Chicago?
2. What does the family find out about their home?
3. Who is the narrator of this novel?
4. Who falls in love with the violin player?
5. What is the reason Antanas can not find work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jurgis decide to sign in order to give him more power in his new country?
2. What is the Lithuanian family in the first chapter traveling to?
3. After Jonas deserts the family, what does the family have to do in order to bring in more money?
4. What is the suspected cause of Elzbieta's child's death?
5. How do Ona and Jurgis furnish their 'new' home?
6. What is one of the ways the slaughterhouse bosses cheat the men out of money?
7. Why are the sausages the family eats not helping their nutrition?
8. Who does Marija fall in love with?
9. What does Jurgis think about his act of beating up Conner?
10. What causes Marija to lose her job again?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If you were in Jurgis and Ona's financial position, would you have still held a veselija? Why or why not? Why do you think they still had this traditional reception even though they couldn't afford it? Do you think it was fair for them to have to go into debt for this gathering? Why or why not? Was this the beginning of their troubles?
Essay Topic 2
Sinclair makes it pretty clear in the text the he feels socialism is the answer to the world's problems. Did you think Sinclair's arguments were convincing? Why or why not? How does socialism help Jurgis in this story?
Essay Topic 3
Sinclair is also quick to point out how horrible the system of capitalism really is. In what ways does capitalism not work for the characters in the story? Are there any benefits to the capitalist way? How does Jurgis specifically become hurt by the capitalist system? Do you think Sinclair is right? Why or why not?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)