|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Someone whispers to Jurgis as he falls asleep during another political meeting. What word does the stranger whisper?
2. What is the term socialists use for each other?
(a) Working man
(b) Hopeful one
3. Where does Jurgis go after being in the country?
4. What does Jurgis do when there is a strike at his yard?
(a) He marches
(b) He loses his job
(c) He still goes to work
(d) He organizes the protest
5. What is socialism described as in this chapter?
(b) A fit for anyone
(c) The only way
(d) Common sense
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jurgis hear screaming when he reaches the boarding house?
2. Where does Jurgis get a job?
3. How much further does Jurgis have to walk to get to the boarding house?
4. During what month of 1904 are people out of work?
5. What is the speaker talking about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jurgis learn about his family when he asks around?
2. What is the stroke of luck that Jurgis happens upon?
3. Where does Jurgis finally find the job that makes him happy, though he does not hold onto it for long?
4. How does Jurgis response to the news of Antanas' death?
5. Where does the drunk young man take Jurgis?
6. How far away is Jurgis' new job?
7. Who is the visitor Jurgis gets in jail?
8. What is the impassioned speech actually talking about in this chapter?
9. What is the first crime Jack Duane and Jurgis commit?
10. What does Jurgis learn about Marija's whereabouts?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)