|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jurgis do as Ona is dying?
(a) Pleads with God
(b) Shakes her
(c) Tries to revive her
(d) Takes her hand
2. What is Jurgis' sentence?
(a) 30 days
(b) Time served
(c) A week
(d) 10 days
3. What does Jurgis have to do to get money?
(a) Ask his boss for a raise
(b) Sell his things
(c) Work longer hours
4. What does the new friend do for Jurgis?
(a) Helps him find a job
(b) Gives him a coat
(d) Invites him to dinner
5. What does Jurgis find out Marija is doing?
(a) Leaving the United States
(c) Prostituting herself
(d) Getting married
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Jack Duane?
2. Where does Jurgis stay for a long time, leaving him alone and penniless at the end?
3. Who is a lousy beggar?
4. Who has complete faith in socialism at the end of the novel?
5. Where does Jurgis decide to begin volunteering?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jurgis response to the news of Antanas' death?
2. How is the midwife described to the reader?
3. Why was Jurgis released from prison later than he thought would be?
4. What is the impassioned speech actually talking about in this chapter?
5. What happens to Jurgis' $100?
6. What is the first crime Jack Duane and Jurgis commit?
7. What does Ostrinski tell Jurgis should happen in Chicago?
8. Where does the drunk young man take Jurgis?
9. When Jurgis gets out of the hospital, what does he do?
10. Overcome with grief after Ona's death, what does Jurgis do to soothe his sorrows?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)