|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jurgis feel when listening to this speech?
2. How much further does Jurgis have to walk to get to the boarding house?
(a) 5 miles
(b) 2 miles
(c) 1 mile
(d) 10 miles
3. Where does Jurgis go after being in the country?
4. What does Jurgis do with the money the children bring home?
(a) Tells them to save it
(b) Buys whiskey
(c) Buys a prostitute
5. What does Jurgis try to convert the family to?
(a) Democratic thinking
(b) Republican thinking
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the children get food?
2. Why do people not want Jurgis to go upstairs?
3. What does Jurgis find out when he walks home from prison?
4. Where does Jurgis try to get a job?
5. What job does Jurgis find with the help of friend he made in the union?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jurgis learn about Marija's whereabouts?
2. What is the stroke of luck that Jurgis happens upon?
3. When Jurgis gets out of the hospital, what does he do?
4. Who is the visitor Jurgis gets in jail?
5. Where does the drunk young man take Jurgis?
6. When Jurgis goes back to Chicago for the summer, where does he find employment?
7. Overcome with grief after Ona's death, what does Jurgis do to soothe his sorrows?
8. What does Jurgis do as soon as he gets his new job?
9. What happens when there is a strike at the stockyard where Jurgis is working?
10. Is Jurgis successful in getting the rest of the family converted to socialism?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)