|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Jurgis get a job?
(a) A mine
(b) A bank
(c) A packing yard
(d) A hotel
2. Why is Jurgis in prison?
(a) For stealing
(b) For eating up a man
(c) For being in a whorehouse
(d) For making too much noise
3. What is socialism described as in this chapter?
(a) A fit for anyone
(b) Common sense
(d) The only way
4. During what month of 1904 are people out of work?
5. Who does Jurgis go to once he gets his new job?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Jurgis released late from prison?
2. How much money does Jurgis have in the bank at this time?
3. What is the man at the political meeting speaking of?
4. Who throws Jurgis out of the home?
5. Where do the children get food?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jurgis do as soon as he gets his new job?
2. What is the senator talking about as Jurgis overhears a political meeting?
3. What is the first crime Jack Duane and Jurgis commit?
4. Overcome with grief after Ona's death, what does Jurgis do to soothe his sorrows?
5. Is Jurgis successful in getting the rest of the family converted to socialism?
6. What is the impassioned speech actually talking about in this chapter?
7. How does Jurgis response to the news of Antanas' death?
8. What happens to Jurgis' $100?
9. What does Ostrinski tell Jurgis should happen in Chicago?
10. How far away is Jurgis' new job?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)