|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who has gone downtown with the rest of Jurgis' family?
2. During what month of 1904 are people out of work?
3. Why was Jurgis released late from prison?
(a) His sentence was extended because of new evidence
(b) It was a holiday
(c) He got into trouble
(d) He had to work off court costs
4. Who does Jurgis find to help with Ona's pregnancy?
(a) A woman with many children
(b) A midwife
(c) A doctor
(d) No one
5. What does Jurgis try to convert the family to?
(a) Democratic thinking
(b) Republican thinking
Short Answer Questions
1. How much further does Jurgis have to walk to get to the boarding house?
2. How did Stanislovas die?
3. Why does the stranger want Jurgis to listen to the political meeting?
4. What does Jurgis do once he is far away from the city?
5. Where does Jurgis decide to begin volunteering?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ostrinski tell Jurgis should happen in Chicago?
2. What does Jurgis learn about his family when he asks around?
3. Overcome with grief after Ona's death, what does Jurgis do to soothe his sorrows?
4. What is the impassioned speech actually talking about in this chapter?
5. What does Jurgis learn about Marija's whereabouts?
6. Why was Jurgis released from prison later than he thought would be?
7. After the speech is over, what does Jurgis do?
8. What is the first crime Jack Duane and Jurgis commit?
9. After the family is evicted, where do they go to live?
10. What is the stroke of luck that Jurgis happens upon?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)