|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jurgis do with the money the children bring home?
(a) Tells them to save it
(c) Buys whiskey
(d) Buys a prostitute
2. Where does Jurgis stay for a long time, leaving him alone and penniless at the end?
(a) A boarding house
(b) A hospital
(c) The streets
(d) A gambling hall
3. What does Jurgis do in response to Antanas' death?
(a) Calls the doctor
(b) Beats up the boarding house owner
(c) Walks to the country
(d) Buries him
4. What is Jurgis filled with once he is done drinking?
(b) A sense of obligation
5. What does Jurgis do as Ona is dying?
(a) Pleads with God
(b) Shakes her
(c) Tries to revive her
(d) Takes her hand
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jurgis decide he must live for?
2. Someone whispers to Jurgis as he falls asleep during another political meeting. What word does the stranger whisper?
3. How far away is Jurgis' new job?
4. Where does the person in #164 take Jurgis?
5. What does Jurgis do when there is a strike at his yard?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the family is evicted, where do they go to live?
2. What does Jurgis decide to do when he can not find any work?
3. What is the senator talking about as Jurgis overhears a political meeting?
4. How is the midwife described to the reader?
5. After the speech is over, what does Jurgis do?
6. What is the impassioned speech actually talking about in this chapter?
7. What does Jurgis do as soon as he gets his new job?
8. What is the stroke of luck that Jurgis happens upon?
9. Where does Jurgis next get a job at, that turns out to be a good position?
10. What happens when there is a strike at the stockyard where Jurgis is working?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)