|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Jurgis stay for a long time, leaving him alone and penniless at the end?
(a) The streets
(b) A gambling hall
(c) A boarding house
(d) A hospital
2. Why is Jurgis turned down for the job in #111?
(a) He is too old
(b) He is a convict
(c) He has no experience
(d) He's been blacklisted
3. How much does Jurgis give Stanislovas to help the family?
(a) A quarter
(b) A nickel
(c) 10 cents
(d) A dollar
4. During what month of 1904 are people out of work?
5. Where does Jurgis eventually get a job, only to lose it once he finds out who Jurgis is?
(a) A grocery store
(b) A packing yard
(c) A bank
(d) The fertilizer mill
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Stanislovas die?
2. What is the speaker explaining in an impassioned speech?
3. What does Marija give as the reason to not leave her job?
4. Who is speaking at the nearby political meeting?
5. What is the speaker talking about?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Jurgis goes back to Chicago for the summer, where does he find employment?
2. Who is the visitor Jurgis gets in jail?
3. What is the stroke of luck that Jurgis happens upon?
4. Why doesn't Ona come to the courtroom during Jurgis' sentencing?
5. What does Jurgis do as soon as he gets his new job?
6. What is the senator talking about as Jurgis overhears a political meeting?
7. What caused little Antanas' death?
8. Where does the drunk young man take Jurgis?
9. When Jurgis gets out of the hospital, what does he do?
10. What happens to Jurgis' $100?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)