|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Jurgis released late from prison?
(a) He got into trouble
(b) His sentence was extended because of new evidence
(c) It was a holiday
(d) He had to work off court costs
2. Where does Jurgis get a job?
(a) A mine
(b) A packing yard
(c) A bank
(d) A hotel
3. Where does Jurgis stay for a long time, leaving him alone and penniless at the end?
(a) A boarding house
(b) The streets
(c) A hospital
(d) A gambling hall
4. Where are the children coming home from?
(a) Selling papers
(c) The dump
(d) The slaughterhouse
5. What has happened to Ona's baby?
(a) It will need surgery
(b) It is deformed
(c) It died
(d) It is perfectly healthy
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marija give as the reason to not leave her job?
2. What does the new friend do for Jurgis?
3. Who does this person think Packingtown should be in the hands of?
4. How much does Jurgis give Stanislovas to help the family?
5. Who is speaking at the nearby political meeting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What caused little Antanas' death?
2. What does Jurgis decide to do when he can not find any work?
3. What happens when there is a strike at the stockyard where Jurgis is working?
4. What is the first crime Jack Duane and Jurgis commit?
5. What happens when Jurgis goes back to the fertilizer mill?
6. Why doesn't Ona come to the courtroom during Jurgis' sentencing?
7. Overcome with grief after Ona's death, what does Jurgis do to soothe his sorrows?
8. Where does Jurgis finally find the job that makes him happy, though he does not hold onto it for long?
9. How does Jurgis response to the news of Antanas' death?
10. Where does Jurgis next get a job at, that turns out to be a good position?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)