|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Jurgis go to look for work?
(a) The factories
(b) The train station
(c) The farms
(d) The stockyards
2. The bosses at the slaughterhouses cheat the men by ________ their hours of work.
(a) Rounding down
(c) Eliminating all of
3. What is the name of the collective group of businesses in Chicago?
(a) The Beef Trust
(b) Cow Palace
(c) The Beef Headquarters
(d) Packing Central
4. Who deserts the family and is never heard from again?
5. What happened to the boy Stanislovas with the broken off ears?
(a) Genetic defect
(b) Work injury
Short Answer Questions
1. What is another word for 'consumption'?
2. Whose factory is suddenly shut down, leaving this character without work?
3. What does the house become infested with?
4. What does Jurgis do to escape the horrors of his life?
5. What kinds of cows are killed, which upsets Jurgis as he works?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the problem when Jurgis shows up for his first day of work?
2. Who is the narrator of the novel?
3. After Jonas deserts the family, what does the family have to do in order to bring in more money?
4. What happened to those who had a sore on their hand and they then got pickling brine on it?
5. Why does Jurgis beat up Conner?
6. Why can't Jurgis' father find work?
7. Why are the sausages the family eats not helping their nutrition?
8. Which character could be described as young, strong, and full of optimism?
9. Why can't any people pay off the 'new' houses they have bought?
10. What causes Marija to lose her job again?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)