|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who deserts the family and is never heard from again?
2. The bosses at the slaughterhouses cheat the men by ________ their hours of work.
(a) Eliminating all of
(d) Rounding down
3. What does Jurgis do to escape the horrors of his life?
(a) Go to the whorehouse
(b) Lives by himself
4. Who gets their job back, only to lose it again for speaking up for their rights?
5. What is used in the sausages at the factory?
(b) Potato flour
(c) Spoiled hams
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jurgis get his next job?
2. Why does Jurgis think the system of meatpacking is so efficient?
3. Who made the person in #81 turn to prostitution?
4. Who is also going to have to go to work, besides Ona?
5. How long does Jurgis have to be out of work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is one of the ways the slaughterhouse bosses cheat the men out of money?
2. Why can't any people pay off the 'new' houses they have bought?
3. After Jonas deserts the family, what does the family have to do in order to bring in more money?
4. Who is the narrator of the novel?
5. Why can't Jurgis' father find work?
6. What begins to happen to Ona in this chapter?
7. How do Ona and Jurgis furnish their 'new' home?
8. Why are the sausages the family eats not helping their nutrition?
9. Why does Jurgis get his job back at Brown's?
10. Why does Jurgis beat up Conner?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)