|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Jurgis have to go after his first day back at work?
(a) The bank
(b) The store
(c) The doctor
(d) The midwife
2. What does Jurgis do to the answer to #82?
(a) He talks with him
(b) He beats him up
(c) He ignores him
(d) He kills him
3. What kinds of cows are killed, which upsets Jurgis as he works?
(a) Sleeping cows
(b) Still alive cows
(c) Pregnant cows
(d) Defective cows
4. Who is the violin player?
5. Why weren't meats smoked?
(a) They didn't have the tools
(b) It was too expensive
(c) It was too time consuming
(d) It never tasted right
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the person in #83 threaten to do if the character does not agree to prostitute herself?
2. Who has been pressured into prostituting herself?
3. How old is Ona at her wedding?
4. Who finds Jurgis his first job?
5. What does Jurgis realize he can never fix?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ona suggest she do in order to marry Jurgis more quickly?
2. What is the Lithuanian family in the first chapter traveling to?
3. What does Elzbieta's factory do?
4. Why can't any people pay off the 'new' houses they have bought?
5. What holiday occurs during the time that Jurgis is in jail?
6. Why can't Jurgis' father find work?
7. After Jonas deserts the family, what does the family have to do in order to bring in more money?
8. What causes Marija to lose her job again?
9. Who is Jurgis overcome with worry over?
10. What does Jurgis begin to do in order to deal with the horrors of his situation?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)