|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is doctored with Borax to give it a certain flavor?
(b) 'Smoked' Sausages
(c) Holiday hams
2. Who ignores the carcasses that pass by unchecked on the conveyor belt?
(c) The government inspector
(d) The women
3. Who gets their job back, only to lose it again for speaking up for their rights?
4. Where does the family of this novel originate from?
(a) The United States
5. Who is pregnant, as we find out in this chapter?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is another word for 'consumption'?
2. Who is also going to have to go to work, besides Ona?
3. How do Ona and Jurgis pay for the furnishings they acquire?
4. What does the house become infested with?
5. Why weren't meats smoked?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jurgis decline to be in the union at first?
2. Why can't any people pay off the 'new' houses they have bought?
3. What is one of the ways the slaughterhouse bosses cheat the men out of money?
4. Why does Jurgis beat up Conner?
5. What does Ostrinski tell Jurgis should happen in Chicago?
6. What causes Marija to lose her job again?
7. Why is it not a big problem for Jurgis to find work, even though he can't speak English?
8. What is the suspected cause of Elzbieta's child's death?
9. What happens to Jurgis' $100?
10. What is the Lithuanian family in the first chapter traveling to?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)