|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes Jurgis and the rest of the family to become violently ill?
(a) The food they got from a friend
(b) The brine in the pickling room
(c) The fumes of the fertilizer
(d) The pollution
2. Where does Jurgis return to get his job back?
(b) The canning factory
(c) The fertilizer mill
(d) The fields
3. What happens to the unborn calves of the slaughtered cows?
(a) They are taken away
(b) They are raised into adulthood
(c) They are killed too
(d) They are sold
4. What does Ona give birth to?
(b) A baby girl
(d) A baby boy
5. Who ignores the carcasses that pass by unchecked on the conveyor belt?
(c) The government inspector
(d) The women
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Ona want to marry?
2. What happened to the man who was in Jurgis' job before?
3. What 'helps' Ona and Jurgis furnish their home?
4. Why does Jurgis get his job back in the first place?
5. Who is the character in charge of the wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the suspected cause of Elzbieta's child's death?
2. Which character could be described as young, strong, and full of optimism?
3. Why does Jurgis get his job back at Brown's?
4. What is one of the ways the slaughterhouse bosses cheat the men out of money?
5. After Jonas deserts the family, what does the family have to do in order to bring in more money?
6. What does Ona suggest she do in order to marry Jurgis more quickly?
7. Why are the sausages the family eats not helping their nutrition?
8. What does Jurgis decide to sign in order to give him more power in his new country?
9. Who wanted Ona and Jurgis to have a lavish wedding, even though they would have been fine with something simpler?
10. What happens at Marija's job at the beef trimming factory?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)