|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who died in his sleep, working up until that point without trouble?
2. What is the reason Antanas can not find work?
(a) He is considered to be too old
(b) He isn't a strong man
(c) He complains too often
(d) He can't speak English
3. What does Jurgis understand for the first time as part of the union?
(d) Group dynamics
4. Who has been pressured into prostituting herself?
(c) Their neighbor
5. What makes the family realize they will need to make more money?
(a) Ona becomes pregnant
(b) A family member dies
(c) Jurgis loses his job
(d) Their house's mortgage is also charged interest
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to the man who was in Jurgis' job before?
2. What 'helps' Ona and Jurgis furnish their home?
3. What is/are the name(s) of Ona's child(ren)?
4. What does the person in #83 threaten to do if the character does not agree to prostitute herself?
5. Who is in jail at the start of this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the narrator of the novel?
2. Why can't Jurgis' father find work?
3. Who is Jurgis overcome with worry over?
4. What does Ona suggest she do in order to marry Jurgis more quickly?
5. What is the Lithuanian family in the first chapter traveling to?
6. What holiday occurs during the time that Jurgis is in jail?
7. Why can't any people pay off the 'new' houses they have bought?
8. Who does Marija fall in love with?
9. Why does Jurgis beat up Conner?
10. What causes Marija to lose her job again?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)