|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to the man who was in Jurgis' job before?
(a) He was fired
(b) He threatened the boss
(c) He disappeared
(d) He was smashed
2. What is another fee the family learns they need to pay on their home?
(a) A warranty
(c) Buyer's penalty
3. Where does the family of this novel originate from?
(c) The United States
4. Who begins to develop a cough like the one that killed Jurgis' father?
5. Who is working at the sausage factory?
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose factory is suddenly shut down, leaving this character without work?
2. Who has been pressured into prostituting herself?
3. Who made the person in #81 turn to prostitution?
4. Who is in jail at the start of this chapter?
5. Why does Ona want to get a job?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the midwife described to the reader?
2. What is the senator talking about as Jurgis overhears a political meeting?
3. Why are the sausages the family eats not helping their nutrition?
4. What does Ostrinski tell Jurgis should happen in Chicago?
5. What does Jurgis think about his act of beating up Conner?
6. After the family is evicted, where do they go to live?
7. Overcome with grief after Ona's death, what does Jurgis do to soothe his sorrows?
8. What is the first crime Jack Duane and Jurgis commit?
9. Where does Jurgis finally find the job that makes him happy, though he does not hold onto it for long?
10. What does Jurgis have complete faith in by the end of the story?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)