|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is also going to have to go to work, besides Ona?
2. How long does Jurgis have to be out of work?
(a) At least a month
(b) He doesn't
(c) A day
(d) A few days
3. What causes Ona and Jurgis to be upset after the wedding?
(a) They had second thoughts
(b) They were't going on a honeymoon
(c) They had to go to work
(d) The debt they accrued
4. What is the reason Antanas can not find work?
(a) He can't speak English
(b) He is considered to be too old
(c) He isn't a strong man
(d) He complains too often
5. What does Jurgis decide to do in order to help himself and his understanding?
(a) Leave the slaughterhouse
(b) Join a political party
(c) Go to the library
(d) Learn English
Short Answer Questions
1. The bosses at the slaughterhouses cheat the men by ________ their hours of work.
2. Who gets their job back, only to lose it again for speaking up for their rights?
3. Where does Jurgis return to get his job back?
4. What are men at the slaughterhouses dying of due to the weather?
5. What is the name of the collective group of businesses in Chicago?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jurgis beat up Conner?
2. Is Jurgis successful in getting the rest of the family converted to socialism?
3. Why can't Jurgis' father find work?
4. Who is the narrator of the novel?
5. Where does the drunk young man take Jurgis?
6. Jurgis happens upon another political meeting. What is the topic this time?
7. After Jonas deserts the family, what does the family have to do in order to bring in more money?
8. What does Jurgis decide to do when he can not find any work?
9. What does Jurgis do as soon as he gets his new job?
10. Why is it not a big problem for Jurgis to find work, even though he can't speak English?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)