|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the house become infested with?
2. What does Ona suddenly suffer from?
(b) Panic attacks
(c) Night terrors
3. What happens to the unborn calves of the slaughtered cows?
(a) They are taken away
(b) They are sold
(c) They are killed too
(d) They are raised into adulthood
4. How long is their house to be rented for?
(a) 15 years
(b) 9 years
(c) 3 years
(d) 6 years
5. The bosses at the slaughterhouses cheat the men by ________ their hours of work.
(a) Rounding down
(d) Eliminating all of
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the family of this novel originate from?
2. Who falls in love with the violin player?
3. What causes Ona and Jurgis to be upset after the wedding?
4. What is another fee the family learns they need to pay on their home?
5. Who tries to convince Jurgis Ona is fine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to those who had a sore on their hand and they then got pickling brine on it?
2. What does the family learn they must also pay on their home?
3. What is the suspected cause of Elzbieta's child's death?
4. Who is Jurgis overcome with worry over?
5. What begins to happen to Ona in this chapter?
6. What does Jurgis decide to sign in order to give him more power in his new country?
7. Why are the sausages the family eats not helping their nutrition?
8. How do Ona and Jurgis furnish their 'new' home?
9. What is one of the ways the slaughterhouse bosses cheat the men out of money?
10. Why can't Jurgis' father find work?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)