|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the reason Antanas can not find work?
(a) He can't speak English
(b) He isn't a strong man
(c) He is considered to be too old
(d) He complains too often
2. What does Jurgis become a part of in response to the action in #40?
(a) A socialist group
(b) A gang
(c) A protest group
(d) A union
3. What kinds of cows are killed, which upsets Jurgis as he works?
(a) Pregnant cows
(b) Defective cows
(c) Still alive cows
(d) Sleeping cows
4. What does Ona suddenly suffer from?
(b) Night terrors
(d) Panic attacks
5. What happens when a steer gets loose at Jurgis' work?
(a) Stanislovas is killed
(b) The factory is shut down
(c) A man is killed
(d) Jurgis twists his ankle
Short Answer Questions
1. Who died in his sleep, working up until that point without trouble?
2. What happened to the boy Stanislovas with the broken off ears?
3. What is the name of the collective group of businesses in Chicago?
4. What is doctored with Borax to give it a certain flavor?
5. What are men at the slaughterhouses dying of due to the weather?
Short Essay Questions
1. What holiday occurs during the time that Jurgis is in jail?
2. What does Elzbieta's factory do?
3. What does Jurgis begin to do in order to deal with the horrors of his situation?
4. How do Ona and Jurgis furnish their 'new' home?
5. What does the family learn they must also pay on their home?
6. What causes Marija to lose her job again?
7. After Jonas deserts the family, what does the family have to do in order to bring in more money?
8. Which character could be described as young, strong, and full of optimism?
9. Why does Jurgis get his job back at Brown's?
10. What is the suspected cause of Elzbieta's child's death?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)