|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the person in #83 threaten to do if the character does not agree to prostitute herself?
(a) Murder her
(b) Blacklist her
(c) Fire the entire family
(d) Tell her husband
2. Who gets their job back, only to lose it again for speaking up for their rights?
3. What is another fee the family learns they need to pay on their home?
(a) Buyer's penalty
(b) A warranty
4. What causes Jurgis and the rest of the family to become violently ill?
(a) The food they got from a friend
(b) The brine in the pickling room
(c) The fumes of the fertilizer
(d) The pollution
5. Where does the family of this novel originate from?
(a) The United States
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jurgis already know about Ona?
2. What kinds of cows are killed, which upsets Jurgis as he works?
3. Who is pregnant, as we find out in this chapter?
4. Who has a child that dies immediately at the start of this chapter?
5. What does the answer to #86 realize while they are in jail?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Stanislovas afraid to go out into the snow?
2. What is the suspected cause of Elzbieta's child's death?
3. Why does Jurgis beat up Conner?
4. What happens at Marija's job at the beef trimming factory?
5. Why does Jurgis decline to be in the union at first?
6. Who is Jurgis overcome with worry over?
7. What does Ona suggest she do in order to marry Jurgis more quickly?
8. Which character could be described as young, strong, and full of optimism?
9. What does Jurgis decide to sign in order to give him more power in his new country?
10. Why is it not a big problem for Jurgis to find work, even though he can't speak English?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)