|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is/are the name(s) of Ona's child(ren)?
(b) Antanas, Onata, and Jonas
(d) Antanas and Onata
2. Why does Jurgis get his job back in the first place?
(a) The man in his position died
(b) He begs
(c) The union helps him
(d) The boss throws out the replacement worker
3. What holiday does Jurgis call 'their' holiday?
4. What happens to the unborn calves of the slaughtered cows?
(a) They are sold
(b) They are raised into adulthood
(c) They are taken away
(d) They are killed too
5. What is Marija's job?
(a) Painting cans
(b) Sewing clothes
(c) Killing pigs
(d) Making sausages
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jurgis already know about Ona?
2. What makes the family realize they will need to make more money?
3. Who finds Jurgis his first job?
4. Who wanted the wedding to be lavish?
5. Who made the person in #81 turn to prostitution?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Lithuanian family in the first chapter traveling to?
2. What causes Marija to lose her job again?
3. What does the family learn they must also pay on their home?
4. Why does Jurgis beat up Conner?
5. What is one of the ways the slaughterhouse bosses cheat the men out of money?
6. What happens at Marija's job at the beef trimming factory?
7. What does Jurgis begin to do in order to deal with the horrors of his situation?
8. Who is the narrator of the novel?
9. Why does Jurgis get his job back at Brown's?
10. Why does Jurgis decline to be in the union at first?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)