|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jurgis realize he can never fix?
(a) Ona's sense of well being
(b) Conner's attitude
(c) His life
(d) The world's injustices
2. Where is the wedding reception being held?
(a) At the church
(b) Chicago stockyards
(d) Russia dining hall
3. What causes Ona and Jurgis to be upset after the wedding?
(a) The debt they accrued
(b) They were't going on a honeymoon
(c) They had second thoughts
(d) They had to go to work
4. What does Jurgis understand for the first time as part of the union?
(c) Group dynamics
5. Where does Jurgis wait instead of going in to meet his boss?
(a) Outside with the unemployed workers
(b) At the bus stop
(c) At the main office
(d) At home
Short Answer Questions
1. Everything was used of the pig except the _________.
2. Who is the character in charge of the wedding?
3. Who gets their job back, only to lose it again for speaking up for their rights?
4. Who is in jail at the start of this chapter?
5. What makes the family realize they will need to make more money?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Ona and Jurgis furnish their 'new' home?
2. Who is the narrator of the novel?
3. What is one of the ways the slaughterhouse bosses cheat the men out of money?
4. What does Elzbieta's factory do?
5. What does the family learn they must also pay on their home?
6. What is the Lithuanian family in the first chapter traveling to?
7. What begins to happen to Ona in this chapter?
8. Which character could be described as young, strong, and full of optimism?
9. What is the problem when Jurgis shows up for his first day of work?
10. Why is Stanislovas afraid to go out into the snow?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)