|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who begins to drink and gamble heavily?
2. What does Jurgis do to sleep in a warm place?
(a) Breaks into homes
(b) Stays with a friend
(c) Fights in order to get arrested
(d) Begs well off people for help
3. Where does Jurgis go after being in the country?
4. Why is Ona's pregnancy in trouble?
(a) The baby is not breathing
(b) Ona is unconscious
(c) The baby is early
(d) The baby is breech
5. What does Jurgis do after the speech?
(a) Beats up the man next to him
(c) Walks up to the speaker
(d) Tries to find a job
6. What is the name of the boarding house where the family first stayed and returns to?
7. Why does the stranger want Jurgis to listen to the political meeting?
(a) He says Jurgis might learn something
(b) He will get food in return
(c) He thinks it's rude if Jurgis sleeps
(d) The stranger is related to the speaker
8. Who does Jurgis decide he must live for?
(a) His son Antanas
9. Who does this person think Packingtown should be in the hands of?
(a) The women
(b) The government
(c) The workmen
(d) The bosses
10. During what month of 1904 are people out of work?
11. What are men all over joining in order to change their lives?
(a) The Republican party
(b) The socialist party
(c) The unions
(d) The gentlemen's clubs
12. What does Jurgis do in response to Antanas' death?
(a) Walks to the country
(b) Beats up the boarding house owner
(c) Calls the doctor
(d) Buries him
13. What is the speaker explaining in an impassioned speech?
14. Who is Jurgis' cellmate this time?
(a) Mr. Jones
(b) Joe Ranger
(d) Jack Duane
15. What does Jurgis have to do to get money?
(a) Ask his boss for a raise
(b) Sell his things
(d) Work longer hours
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jurgis meet in this chapter?
2. What does Ona do before she dies?
3. In the next election, how does the socialist vote do?
4. Who is Jurgis directed to talk to?
5. Who does Jurgis ask for another job?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)