|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jurgis do when there is a strike at his yard?
(a) He organizes the protest
(b) He still goes to work
(c) He marches
(d) He loses his job
2. What does Jurgis do as Ona is dying?
(a) Takes her hand
(b) Tries to revive her
(c) Pleads with God
(d) Shakes her
3. What does Ona do before she dies?
(a) Confesses an affair
(b) Screams about the injustice of it all
(c) Opens her eyes and looks at Jurgis
(d) Tells Jurgis she loves him
4. Where does Jurgis eventually get a job, only to lose it once he finds out who Jurgis is?
(a) A packing yard
(b) A grocery store
(c) A bank
(d) The fertilizer mill
5. Why does the stranger want Jurgis to listen to the political meeting?
(a) He will get food in return
(b) The stranger is related to the speaker
(c) He says Jurgis might learn something
(d) He thinks it's rude if Jurgis sleeps
6. What job does Jurgis find with the help of friend he made in the union?
(c) Train conductor
(d) Harvest works
7. Who does Jurgis decide he must live for?
(c) His son Antanas
8. What does Jurgis decide to do with his newfound wealth?
(b) Give it away to a beggar
(c) Break it into smaller bills
(d) Give it to Marija
9. What does Jurgis also become?
(a) A boss
(b) A lawman
(c) A homeowner
(d) A fugitive
10. What is socialism described as in this chapter?
(b) A fit for anyone
(c) Common sense
(d) The only way
11. Whose house do the new friend and Jurgis go to?
(b) Conner's house
(d) Mr. Jones' house
12. What does the new friend give Jurgis?
(a) A blanket
(b) A plate of leftovers
(d) A bottle of milk
13. What does Jurgis find out when he walks home from prison?
(a) The family has gone back to their home country
(b) The family has been evicted
(c) He has another son
(d) Ona is dead
14. What does Jurgis try to convert the family to?
(b) Democratic thinking
(d) Republican thinking
15. What does the barkeep insist Jurgis gave him?
(a) A dollar
(b) A ten dollar bill
(c) A five dollar bill
(d) A fake bill
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Jack Duane?
2. What does Jurgis do in response to Antanas' death?
3. How much further does Jurgis have to walk to get to the boarding house?
4. What happens to cause Jurgis to lose his job?
5. How did Jurgis' son die?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)