|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who has complete faith in socialism at the end of the novel?
2. How does Jurgis feel when listening to this speech?
3. What does Jurgis tell the person in #175 they can now do?
(a) Be partners again
(b) Go to hell
(c) Quit their job
(d) Live with him
4. What are men all over joining in order to change their lives?
(a) The gentlemen's clubs
(b) The socialist party
(c) The unions
(d) The Republican party
5. Who does Jurgis decide he must live for?
(b) His son Antanas
6. What is the term socialists use for each other?
(b) Working man
(d) Hopeful one
7. What does Jurgis do to sleep in a warm place?
(a) Fights in order to get arrested
(b) Breaks into homes
(c) Stays with a friend
(d) Begs well off people for help
8. What does Jurgis do after the speech?
(a) Beats up the man next to him
(b) Tries to find a job
(d) Walks up to the speaker
9. Why is Jurgis in prison?
(a) For stealing
(b) For eating up a man
(c) For making too much noise
(d) For being in a whorehouse
10. Besides his son, what does Jurgis enjoy in his life now?
(a) The weekly newspaper
(b) Long walks
(d) The political rallies
11. What is Jurgis now that he is out of jail again?
(a) A mine worker
(b) A deranged man
(c) A prominent boss
(d) A hobo
12. What does Jurgis do when there is a strike at his yard?
(a) He marches
(b) He loses his job
(c) He still goes to work
(d) He organizes the protest
13. What does Jurgis try to convert the family to?
(a) Republican thinking
(d) Democratic thinking
14. What does Jurgis eventually do that helps him earn good money?
(a) Starts a union of his own
(b) Helps with the harvest
(d) Cons other men
15. What does Jurgis have to do to get money?
(a) Sell his things
(b) Work longer hours
(c) Ask his boss for a raise
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Jurgis released late from prison?
2. What do Jack and Jurgis do together once they're out of jail?
3. Who does Jurgis hear screaming when he reaches the boarding house?
4. What does Jurgis consider as he is in the mansion?
5. Who helps Jurgis find a job?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)