|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What job does Jurgis find with the help of friend he made in the union?
(a) Harvest works
(c) Train conductor
2. Why do people not want Jurgis to go upstairs?
(a) Antanas has died
(b) Conner is looking for him
(c) There is a large mess
(d) The room has fallen apart
3. What has happened to Ona's baby?
(a) It died
(b) It is deformed
(c) It will need surgery
(d) It is perfectly healthy
4. Who does Jurgis hear screaming when he reaches the boarding house?
5. What is socialism described as in this chapter?
(b) Common sense
(c) The only way
(d) A fit for anyone
6. Who has gone downtown with the rest of Jurgis' family?
7. Whose house do the new friend and Jurgis go to?
(b) Conner's house
(d) Mr. Jones' house
8. Where does Jurgis get a job?
(a) A mine
(b) A hotel
(c) A packing yard
(d) A bank
9. What does Jurgis also become?
(a) A homeowner
(b) A fugitive
(c) A boss
(d) A lawman
10. Who does Jurgis find to help with Ona's pregnancy?
(a) A doctor
(b) A midwife
(c) No one
(d) A woman with many children
11. Who helps Jurgis find a job?
12. What does Jurgis find out when he walks home from prison?
(a) The family has been evicted
(b) The family has gone back to their home country
(c) He has another son
(d) Ona is dead
13. Who does Jurgis ask for another job?
14. Who owns the business for which Jurgis now works?
(a) His drunken friend
(d) A socialist
15. What are men all over joining in order to change their lives?
(a) The socialist party
(b) The Republican party
(c) The gentlemen's clubs
(d) The unions
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jurgis meet in this chapter?
2. What does Jurgis do with the money the children bring home?
3. In the next election, how does the socialist vote do?
4. What job does Jurgis get when he goes to the place in #127?
5. Who has complete faith in socialism at the end of the novel?
This section contains 374 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)