|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Jurgis eventually get a job, only to lose it once he finds out who Jurgis is?
(a) A grocery store
(b) A packing yard
(c) The fertilizer mill
(d) A bank
2. Where does the person in #164 take Jurgis?
(a) To his home
(b) To another rally
(c) To headquarters
(d) To a restaurant
3. Where does Jurgis stay for a long time, leaving him alone and penniless at the end?
(a) A boarding house
(b) A hospital
(c) The streets
(d) A gambling hall
4. Who does Jurgis go to once he gets his new job?
5. What is Jurgis' sentence?
(a) A week
(b) 10 days
(c) 30 days
(d) Time served
6. Jurgis believes the world is no place for a _______ to grow up in.
7. When Jurgis is at his court date, who does not come to see him?
(a) One of his children
8. How much money does Jurgis have in the bank at this time?
9. What is the speaker talking about?
(a) The working man's fate
(d) Higher wages
10. What does Jurgis consider as he is in the mansion?
(a) Stealing something
(b) The injustices
(c) Beating up the new friend
(d) Murdering the owner
11. Why is Ona's pregnancy in trouble?
(a) The baby is early
(b) The baby is breech
(c) Ona is unconscious
(d) The baby is not breathing
12. Who has cut their hand and can not work?
13. Who is a lousy beggar?
14. Who is Jack Duane?
(a) A white collar criminal
(b) A police officer
(c) A boss in Chicago
(d) A beggar
15. What does Jurgis try to convert the family to?
(b) Republican thinking
(c) Democratic thinking
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jurgis meet in this chapter?
2. Where does Jurgis get a job?
3. Who does this person think Packingtown should be in the hands of?
4. Who has gone downtown with the rest of Jurgis' family?
5. What does Jurgis do as Ona is dying?
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)