|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Jurgis get a visit from?
(b) Jack Duane
2. How does Jurgis feel when listening to this speech?
3. Who has complete faith in socialism at the end of the novel?
4. Who does Jurgis meet that floods him with memories?
(a) A beautiful woman
(b) A corrupt boss
(c) A couple's young son
(d) An older man
5. What does Jurgis do as Ona is dying?
(a) Tries to revive her
(b) Shakes her
(c) Pleads with God
(d) Takes her hand
6. How far away is Jurgis' new job?
(a) 2 hours
(b) A half an hour
(c) 3 hours
(d) 1 hour
7. Where do the children get food?
(a) From Jurgis
(b) They don't
(c) The dump
(d) From begging
8. Who owns the business for which Jurgis now works?
(a) His drunken friend
(d) A socialist
9. Who helps Jurgis find a job?
10. What does Jurgis do when there is a strike at his yard?
(a) He marches
(b) He loses his job
(c) He organizes the protest
(d) He still goes to work
11. Is Jurgis success with the action of #169?
(a) No, but some are curious
(b) Yes, all convert
(d) Yes, but one does not convert
12. Where does Jurgis stay for a long time, leaving him alone and penniless at the end?
(a) A hospital
(b) A gambling hall
(c) The streets
(d) A boarding house
13. How much money does Jurgis have in the bank at this time?
14. What job does Jurgis get when he goes to the place in #127?
(b) Working in a mine
(c) Painting cans
(d) A slaughterhouse job
15. What is Jurgis filled with once he is done drinking?
(a) A sense of obligation
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jurgis have to do to get money?
2. What does Jurgis find out when he walks home from prison?
3. What is the term socialists use for each other?
4. During what month of 1904 are people out of work?
5. What does Jurgis do with the money the children bring home?
This section contains 367 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)