|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose house do the new friend and Jurgis go to?
(c) Conner's house
(d) Mr. Jones' house
2. What does Jurgis eventually do that helps him earn good money?
(a) Starts a union of his own
(b) Helps with the harvest
(c) Cons other men
3. Jurgis believes the world is no place for a _______ to grow up in.
4. What does Jurgis try to convert the family to?
(a) Republican thinking
(c) Democratic thinking
5. What does Jurgis do when there is a strike at his yard?
(a) He organizes the protest
(b) He loses his job
(c) He still goes to work
(d) He marches
6. How did Stanislovas die?
(a) Being eaten by rats
(c) Food poisoning
7. Where do the children get food?
(a) From Jurgis
(b) From begging
(c) The dump
(d) They don't
8. Who helps Jurgis find a job?
9. Who does Jurgis go to once he gets his new job?
10. What is Jurgis now that he is out of jail again?
(a) A deranged man
(b) A prominent boss
(c) A hobo
(d) A mine worker
11. What is the man at the political meeting speaking of?
12. What has happened to Ona's baby?
(a) It is perfectly healthy
(b) It is deformed
(c) It died
(d) It will need surgery
13. What do Jack and Jurgis do together once they're out of jail?
(a) Rob a man in an alley
(b) Join the democratic party
(c) Get a place together
(d) Head out of town
14. Where does Jurgis go after being in the country?
15. Why is Jurgis turned down for the job in #111?
(a) He's been blacklisted
(b) He is a convict
(c) He is too old
(d) He has no experience
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the speaker explaining in an impassioned speech?
2. What does Jurgis have to do to get money?
3. Why do people not want Jurgis to go upstairs?
4. What is the name of the boarding house where the family first stayed and returns to?
5. Why was Jurgis released late from prison?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)