|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jurgis decide to do with his newfound wealth?
(b) Break it into smaller bills
(c) Give it to Marija
(d) Give it away to a beggar
2. Who does Jurgis meet that floods him with memories?
(a) A corrupt boss
(b) A beautiful woman
(c) An older man
(d) A couple's young son
3. What do Jack and Jurgis do together once they're out of jail?
(a) Head out of town
(b) Join the democratic party
(c) Rob a man in an alley
(d) Get a place together
4. Whose house do the new friend and Jurgis go to?
(a) Conner's house
(b) Mr. Jones' house
5. Who is Jurgis directed to talk to?
6. Where does Jurgis decide to begin volunteering?
(a) A Republican committe
(b) A Democratic building
(c) A boarding house
(d) The health inspection department
7. Where do the children get food?
(a) The dump
(b) From begging
(c) From Jurgis
(d) They don't
8. Who has complete faith in socialism at the end of the novel?
9. Why does the stranger want Jurgis to listen to the political meeting?
(a) He will get food in return
(b) The stranger is related to the speaker
(c) He says Jurgis might learn something
(d) He thinks it's rude if Jurgis sleeps
10. What does Marija give as the reason to not leave her job?
(a) She's good at what she does
(b) She has debts to pay off
(c) It's all she knows
(d) She likes what she does
11. What has happened to Ona's baby?
(a) It is perfectly healthy
(b) It is deformed
(c) It will need surgery
(d) It died
12. Where does Jurgis stay for a long time, leaving him alone and penniless at the end?
(a) The streets
(b) A hospital
(c) A boarding house
(d) A gambling hall
13. What does Jurgis do with the money the children bring home?
(a) Buys a prostitute
(b) Tells them to save it
(c) Buys whiskey
14. Someone whispers to Jurgis as he falls asleep during another political meeting. What word does the stranger whisper?
15. Who is Jack Duane?
(a) A white collar criminal
(b) A boss in Chicago
(c) A police officer
(d) A beggar
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jurgis do in response to Antanas' death?
2. What does Jurgis find out Marija is doing?
3. What does the barkeep insist Jurgis gave him?
4. Besides his son, what does Jurgis enjoy in his life now?
5. What does Jurgis also become?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)