|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who helps Jurgis find a job?
2. What is the name of the boarding house where the family first stayed and returns to?
3. Why is Jurgis in prison?
(a) For being in a whorehouse
(b) For making too much noise
(c) For stealing
(d) For eating up a man
4. How much money does Jurgis have in the bank at this time?
5. Who begins to drink and gamble heavily?
6. What does Jurgis try to convert the family to?
(a) Republican thinking
(b) Democratic thinking
7. Who is a lousy beggar?
8. Who throws Jurgis out of the home?
(a) The owner
(b) The butler
(c) A police officer
(d) The friend
9. What has happened to Ona's baby?
(a) It will need surgery
(b) It died
(c) It is deformed
(d) It is perfectly healthy
10. What does Jurgis decide to do with his newfound wealth?
(a) Give it away to a beggar
(c) Give it to Marija
(d) Break it into smaller bills
11. How much does Jurgis give Stanislovas to help the family?
(a) A nickel
(b) A quarter
(c) 10 cents
(d) A dollar
12. What does Jurgis consider as he is in the mansion?
(a) Stealing something
(b) Murdering the owner
(c) Beating up the new friend
(d) The injustices
13. What are men all over joining in order to change their lives?
(a) The Republican party
(b) The unions
(c) The socialist party
(d) The gentlemen's clubs
14. What does Marija give as the reason to not leave her job?
(a) She's good at what she does
(b) She has debts to pay off
(c) It's all she knows
(d) She likes what she does
15. Who does this person think Packingtown should be in the hands of?
(a) The workmen
(b) The women
(c) The bosses
(d) The government
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has complete faith in socialism at the end of the novel?
2. What does Jurgis do when there is a strike at his yard?
3. What does Jurgis eventually do that helps him earn good money?
4. What does Jurgis also become?
5. What does Jurgis find out when he walks home from prison?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)