|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why weren't meats smoked?
(a) It was too expensive
(b) It was too time consuming
(c) It never tasted right
(d) They didn't have the tools
2. What is doctored with Borax to give it a certain flavor?
(b) Holiday hams
(d) 'Smoked' Sausages
3. Why does Jurgis sell his vote?
(a) To buy his house
(b) To upset the system
(c) To get money to drink
(d) To feed his family
4. Who has had to give up her dream of marriage?
5. What does the house become infested with?
6. Who made the person in #81 turn to prostitution?
7. What is/are the name(s) of Ona's child(ren)?
(c) Antanas and Onata
(d) Antanas, Onata, and Jonas
8. What does Jurgis decide to do in order to help himself and his understanding?
(a) Go to the library
(b) Learn English
(c) Join a political party
(d) Leave the slaughterhouse
9. The bosses at the slaughterhouses cheat the men by ________ their hours of work.
(a) Eliminating all of
(d) Rounding down
10. What happened to the boy Stanislovas with the broken off ears?
(b) Work injury
(c) Genetic defect
11. How long does Jurgis have to be out of work?
(a) A few days
(b) He doesn't
(c) A day
(d) At least a month
12. What does Jurgis realize he can never fix?
(a) The world's injustices
(b) Conner's attitude
(c) Ona's sense of well being
(d) His life
13. Who is the character in charge of the wedding?
14. Who is working at the sausage factory?
15. What causes Ona and Jurgis to be upset after the wedding?
(a) The debt they accrued
(b) They were't going on a honeymoon
(c) They had to go to work
(d) They had second thoughts
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gets their job back, only to lose it again for speaking up for their rights?
2. What does Jurgis become a part of in response to the action in #40?
3. Why does Jurgis get his job back in the first place?
4. What holiday does Jurgis call 'their' holiday?
5. Who is also going to have to go to work, besides Ona?
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)