|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Marija's wages?
(a) They are garnished
(b) They include bonuses
(c) They are doubled
(d) They are cut in half
2. What is another name for Chicago?
(a) Depression Central
(b) Dirty Town
(d) Slaughter City
3. What does Jurgis do to the answer to #82?
(a) He ignores him
(b) He beats him up
(c) He talks with him
(d) He kills him
4. What is another fee the family learns they need to pay on their home?
(c) A warranty
(d) Buyer's penalty
5. Who deserts the family and is never heard from again?
6. Who made the person in #81 turn to prostitution?
7. Where does the family of this novel originate from?
(d) The United States
8. Where does Jurgis return to get his job back?
(a) The fields
(b) The canning factory
(d) The fertilizer mill
9. What holiday does Jurgis call 'their' holiday?
10. What is the child's death presumably caused be?
(d) An injury
11. Who is the narrator of this novel?
12. What is another word for 'consumption'?
13. Who is advertising hot meals that ends up causing Jurgis to eventually drink?
(b) The slaughterhouse
(d) Jack Duane
14. Where is the wedding reception being held?
(a) Russia dining hall
(b) At the church
(c) Chicago stockyards
15. Who is the leader of the band at the wedding reception?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Ona want to marry?
2. What is Marija's job?
3. What kinds of cows are killed, which upsets Jurgis as he works?
4. Who tries to convince Jurgis Ona is fine?
5. What is the reason Antanas can not find work?
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)