Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the reason Antanas can not find work?
(a) He can't speak English
(b) He isn't a strong man
(c) He is considered to be too old
(d) He complains too often
2. What does Jurgis become a part of in response to the action in #40?
(a) A socialist group
(b) A gang
(c) A protest group
(d) A union
3. What kinds of cows are killed, which upsets Jurgis as he works?
(a) Pregnant cows
(b) Defective cows
(c) Still alive cows
(d) Sleeping cows
4. What does Ona suddenly suffer from?
(b) Night terrors
(d) Panic attacks
5. What happens when a steer gets loose at Jurgis' work?
(a) Stanislovas is killed
(b) The factory is shut down
(c) A man is killed
(d) Jurgis twists his ankle
6. Who died in his sleep, working up until that point without trouble?
7. What happened to the boy Stanislovas with the broken off ears?
(a) Work injury
(c) Genetic defect
8. What is the name of the collective group of businesses in Chicago?
(a) The Beef Trust
(b) Packing Central
(c) The Beef Headquarters
(d) Cow Palace
9. What is doctored with Borax to give it a certain flavor?
(b) 'Smoked' Sausages
(d) Holiday hams
10. What are men at the slaughterhouses dying of due to the weather?
11. What is used in the sausages at the factory?
(c) Spoiled hams
(d) Potato flour
12. Who is the violin player?
13. Where is the wedding reception being held?
(a) Chicago stockyards
(b) Russia dining hall
(d) At the church
14. Everything was used of the pig except the _________.
(a) Diseased parts
15. Why does Ona want to get a job?
(a) So she can pay off their house
(b) So they can get married
(c) So she can buy things
(d) So she can have more children
Short Answer Questions
1. Who deserts the family and is never heard from again?
2. What barrier does not stand in the way of Jurgis getting a job?
3. What 'helps' Ona and Jurgis furnish their home?
4. What is another name for Chicago?
5. Where does the family of this novel originate from?
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)