|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the violin player?
2. Why does Jurgis get his job back in the first place?
(a) The union helps him
(b) The boss throws out the replacement worker
(c) The man in his position died
(d) He begs
3. Why does Jurgis sell his vote?
(a) To upset the system
(b) To get money to drink
(c) To feed his family
(d) To buy his house
4. Who is the character in charge of the wedding?
5. Who tries to convince Jurgis Ona is fine?
6. Who is pregnant, as we find out in this chapter?
7. Where does Jurgis return to get his job back?
(a) The canning factory
(b) The fields
(d) The fertilizer mill
8. What happened to the boy Stanislovas with the broken off ears?
(b) Work injury
(d) Genetic defect
9. What are men at the slaughterhouses dying of due to the weather?
10. Where does Jurgis go to look for work?
(a) The farms
(b) The stockyards
(c) The train station
(d) The factories
11. Who is the leader of the Democratic party?
(a) Mike Scully
12. Who has been pressured into prostituting herself?
(c) Their neighbor
13. What does the family find out about their home?
(a) It's been sold to someone else too
(b) It's not new
(c) It's going to be demolished
(d) It's not insulated
14. What is the child's death presumably caused be?
(a) An injury
15. What does the house become infested with?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jurgis already know about Ona?
2. What is/are the name(s) of Ona's child(ren)?
3. Who deserts the family and is never heard from again?
4. What is the other name for a wedding reception, and is traditional for the characters in this story?
5. Where does Jurgis wait instead of going in to meet his boss?
This section contains 358 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)