|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is pregnant, as we find out in this chapter?
2. What is/are the name(s) of Ona's child(ren)?
(a) Antanas, Onata, and Jonas
(b) Antanas and Onata
3. Where does Jurgis get his next job?
(a) Another slaughterhouse
(b) The canning factory
(c) A farm
(d) A fertilizer plant
4. Who finds Jurgis his first job?
(a) The delicatessen owner
5. What is doctored with Borax to give it a certain flavor?
(a) Holiday hams
(d) 'Smoked' Sausages
6. Who gets their job back, only to lose it again for speaking up for their rights?
7. Who has a child that dies immediately at the start of this chapter?
8. What does the person in #83 threaten to do if the character does not agree to prostitute herself?
(a) Fire the entire family
(b) Murder her
(c) Tell her husband
(d) Blacklist her
9. Who has had to give up her dream of marriage?
10. What causes Jurgis and the rest of the family to become violently ill?
(a) The pollution
(b) The fumes of the fertilizer
(c) The brine in the pickling room
(d) The food they got from a friend
11. What holiday does Jurgis call 'their' holiday?
12. What does Jurgis already know about Ona?
(a) That she is not the woman he loves
(b) That she will die
(c) That she has left him
(d) That she is too good for him
13. What does Ona give birth to?
(b) A baby boy
(c) A baby girl
14. The bosses at the slaughterhouses cheat the men by ________ their hours of work.
(a) Rounding down
(d) Eliminating all of
15. Who gets a horrible case of frostbite?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jurgis become a part of in response to the action in #40?
2. What does Jurgis understand for the first time as part of the union?
3. Who made the person in #81 turn to prostitution?
4. Why does Ona want to get a job?
5. What does Jurgis think works against the American ideal of individuality?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)