|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is/are the name(s) of Ona's child(ren)?
(a) Antanas, Onata, and Jonas
(c) Antanas and Onata
2. What is another word for 'consumption'?
3. What freezes solid in the killing rooms because there is no heat in the slaughterhouse?
4. How old is Ona at her wedding?
5. Who is the leader of the Democratic party?
(c) Mike Scully
6. What does Jurgis decide to do in order to help himself and his understanding?
(a) Join a political party
(b) Learn English
(c) Leave the slaughterhouse
(d) Go to the library
7. Who is the leader of the band at the wedding reception?
8. What is the name of the collective group of businesses in Chicago?
(a) The Beef Trust
(b) Packing Central
(c) Cow Palace
(d) The Beef Headquarters
9. Where is the most diseased meat sent?
(a) To the dump
(b) To the sausage factory
(c) To the pickle rooms
(d) To the workers
10. What does Jurgis hope for Stanislovas to do?
(a) Find a girl
(b) Get a job
(c) Help more around the house
(d) Go to school
11. What does the house become infested with?
12. Where does the family of this novel originate from?
(c) The United States
13. Who is the violin player?
14. Who deserts the family and is never heard from again?
15. What is the name of the place where the pigs are killed?
(a) The assembly line
(b) The killing floor
(c) The pickling room
(d) The killing room
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ona suddenly suffer from?
2. Why does Jurgis get his job back in the first place?
3. What kind of job do the kids get?
4. What does Ona give birth to?
5. How long has the family been in Packingtown at this point?
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)