|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jurgis decide to do in order to help himself and his understanding?
(a) Learn English
(b) Leave the slaughterhouse
(c) Go to the library
(d) Join a political party
2. What does the family find out about their home?
(a) It's not new
(b) It's been sold to someone else too
(c) It's not insulated
(d) It's going to be demolished
3. What happens to the unborn calves of the slaughtered cows?
(a) They are killed too
(b) They are sold
(c) They are raised into adulthood
(d) They are taken away
4. Why does Jurgis get his job back in the first place?
(a) He begs
(b) The man in his position died
(c) The boss throws out the replacement worker
(d) The union helps him
5. What is doctored with Borax to give it a certain flavor?
(b) Holiday hams
(d) 'Smoked' Sausages
6. What causes Ona and Jurgis to be upset after the wedding?
(a) They had to go to work
(b) The debt they accrued
(c) They had second thoughts
(d) They were't going on a honeymoon
7. What kind of job do the kids get?
(a) Makign clothes
(b) Working in the slaughter house
(c) Cleaning the blood off the floors
(d) Selling papers
8. How do Ona and Jurgis pay for the furnishings they acquire?
(a) They include the cost in their mortgage
(b) They don't
(c) They rent them
(d) They put them on layaway
9. What is Marija's new job?
(b) Sewing buttons
(c) Painting cans
(d) Beef trimmer
10. What does Ona give birth to?
(a) A baby girl
(c) A baby boy
11. Why does Jurgis think the system of meatpacking is so efficient?
(a) Because it is so fast
(b) Because it uses every part of the pig
(c) Because of the machines
(d) Because of the workers
12. What does Jurgis become a part of in response to the action in #40?
(a) A socialist group
(b) A gang
(c) A union
(d) A protest group
13. What is another name for Chicago?
(a) Dirty Town
(b) Slaughter City
(c) Depression Central
14. Whose factory is suddenly shut down, leaving this character without work?
15. What 'helps' Ona and Jurgis furnish their home?
(a) The mortgage company
(c) Interior designers
(d) The welfare department
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jurgis do to escape the horrors of his life?
2. The bosses at the slaughterhouses cheat the men by ________ their hours of work.
3. What happens when a steer gets loose at Jurgis' work?
4. Who has been pressured into prostituting herself?
5. What is the other name for a wedding reception, and is traditional for the characters in this story?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)