|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jurgis already know about Ona?
(a) That she is not the woman he loves
(b) That she will die
(c) That she is too good for him
(d) That she has left him
2. Why does Jurgis think the system of meatpacking is so efficient?
(a) Because of the workers
(b) Because it uses every part of the pig
(c) Because it is so fast
(d) Because of the machines
3. What are men at the slaughterhouses dying of due to the weather?
4. What causes Ona and Jurgis to be upset after the wedding?
(a) They had to go to work
(b) They had second thoughts
(c) They were't going on a honeymoon
(d) The debt they accrued
5. What does Jurgis do to escape the horrors of his life?
(a) Go to the whorehouse
(c) Lives by himself
6. Who wanted the wedding to be lavish?
7. Who begins to develop a cough like the one that killed Jurgis' father?
8. Who is in jail at the start of this chapter?
9. What does Jurgis hope for Stanislovas to do?
(a) Go to school
(b) Help more around the house
(c) Get a job
(d) Find a girl
10. Who has had to give up her dream of marriage?
11. Who is the leader of the Democratic party?
(d) Mike Scully
12. What is Marija's job?
(a) Killing pigs
(b) Making sausages
(c) Painting cans
(d) Sewing clothes
13. What is another name for Chicago?
(a) Slaughter City
(b) Depression Central
(d) Dirty Town
14. How do Ona and Jurgis pay for the furnishings they acquire?
(a) They don't
(b) They put them on layaway
(c) They include the cost in their mortgage
(d) They rent them
15. What does Ona give birth to?
(c) A baby boy
(d) A baby girl
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jurgis understand for the first time as part of the union?
2. Where does Jurgis return to get his job back?
3. What happened to the man who was in Jurgis' job before?
4. Who ignores the carcasses that pass by unchecked on the conveyor belt?
5. The bosses at the slaughterhouses cheat the men by ________ their hours of work.
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)