|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the house become infested with?
2. What is/are the name(s) of Ona's child(ren)?
(a) Antanas, Onata, and Jonas
(b) Antanas and Onata
3. What holiday does Jurgis call 'their' holiday?
4. Who is the character in charge of the wedding?
5. What does the answer to #86 realize while they are in jail?
(a) They will lose their job
(b) The jail is better than their house
(c) They can't remember what they've done
(d) They are alone
6. What does Jurgis realize he can never fix?
(a) Ona's sense of well being
(b) His life
(c) The world's injustices
(d) Conner's attitude
7. What is Marija's job?
(a) Sewing clothes
(b) Painting cans
(c) Killing pigs
(d) Making sausages
8. What causes Jurgis and the rest of the family to become violently ill?
(a) The brine in the pickling room
(b) The pollution
(c) The food they got from a friend
(d) The fumes of the fertilizer
9. What kinds of cows are killed, which upsets Jurgis as he works?
(a) Sleeping cows
(b) Still alive cows
(c) Pregnant cows
(d) Defective cows
10. Who is the violin player?
11. What barrier does not stand in the way of Jurgis getting a job?
(a) The language barrier
(b) His inexperience
(c) His looks
(d) The ethnic barrier
12. Who ignores the carcasses that pass by unchecked on the conveyor belt?
(a) The women
(b) The government inspector
13. Who wanted the wedding to be lavish?
14. What causes Ona and Jurgis to be upset after the wedding?
(a) They had to go to work
(b) They were't going on a honeymoon
(c) They had second thoughts
(d) The debt they accrued
15. What is another name for Chicago?
(a) Depression Central
(b) Slaughter City
(c) Dirty Town
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jurgis already know about Ona?
2. What is the name of the collective group of businesses in Chicago?
3. What does Jurgis decide to do in order to help himself and his understanding?
4. How old is Ona at her wedding?
5. Everything was used of the pig except the _________.
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)