|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why weren't meats smoked?
(a) It was too time consuming
(b) It was too expensive
(c) They didn't have the tools
(d) It never tasted right
2. Where does the family of this novel originate from?
(d) The United States
3. What is another fee the family learns they need to pay on their home?
(a) Buyer's penalty
(d) A warranty
4. What does Jurgis feel confident the family can buy now that people have found jobs?
(a) A chair
(b) A new couch
(c) A car
(d) A house
5. Where does Jurgis wait instead of going in to meet his boss?
(a) At the main office
(b) At the bus stop
(c) Outside with the unemployed workers
(d) At home
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the other name for a wedding reception, and is traditional for the characters in this story?
2. How do Ona and Jurgis pay for the furnishings they acquire?
3. What happens when a steer gets loose at Jurgis' work?
4. Why does Jurgis think the system of meatpacking is so efficient?
5. The bosses at the slaughterhouses cheat the men by ________ their hours of work.
This section contains 236 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)