|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the family of this novel originate from?
(d) The United States
2. What makes the family realize they will need to make more money?
(a) A family member dies
(b) Jurgis loses his job
(c) Ona becomes pregnant
(d) Their house's mortgage is also charged interest
3. Why does Ona want to get a job?
(a) So they can get married
(b) So she can have more children
(c) So she can buy things
(d) So she can pay off their house
4. Who is also going to have to go to work, besides Ona?
5. What happens to the unborn calves of the slaughtered cows?
(a) They are taken away
(b) They are sold
(c) They are raised into adulthood
(d) They are killed too
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jurgis think the system of meatpacking is so efficient?
2. What 'helps' Ona and Jurgis furnish their home?
3. How do Ona and Jurgis pay for the furnishings they acquire?
4. Who is the narrator of this novel?
5. What is the other name for a wedding reception, and is traditional for the characters in this story?
This section contains 228 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)