Chapter 1 | Chapter 2
* The novel opens with a Lithuanian family going to a wedding reception.
* The characters are introduced, one by one.
* The wedding reception, veselija, is being held in the Chicago stockyards.
* Jurgis and Ona are the ones getting married.
* While the reception is traditionally paid for by all the guests, this is being held in the US, so that's not the case.
* Jurgis is an optimist about the hardships of America.
* Jurgis is picked quickly from the line at Central Time Station.
* Jonas, Ona's brother, convinces them to go to America to become rich.
* The family heads to the stockyards.
* Though the house is decrepit, Jurgis remarks about how lucky they are.
* Jurgis' friend, a deli owner, helps him find a job, even though Jurgis can't speak English.
* Jobs at the stockyards are repetitive and don't require English speaking skills.
* The process of the cattle production...
This section contains 1,596 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)