Chapter abstracts are short descriptions of events that occur in each chapter. They highlight major plot events and detail the important relationships and characteristics of characters and objects. The Chapter Abstracts can be used to review what the students have read, or to prepare the students for what they will read. Hand the abstracts out in class as a study guide, or use them as a "key" for a class discussion. They are relatively brief, but can serve to be an excellent refresher of the text for either a student or teacher.
Chapter 1 | Chapter 2 Abstract
* The novel opens with a Lithuanian family going to a wedding reception.
* The characters are introduced, one by one.
* The wedding reception, veselija, is being held in the Chicago stockyards.
* Jurgis and Ona are the ones getting married.
* While the reception is traditionally paid for by all the guests, this is being held...
This section contains 1,840 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)