Chapter 1 | Chapter 2
• The novel opens with a Lithuanian family going to a wedding reception.
• The characters are introduced, one by one.
• The wedding reception, veselija, is being held in the Chicago stockyards.
• Jurgis and Ona are the ones getting married.
• While the reception is traditionally paid for by all the guests, this is being held in the US, so that's not the case.
• Jurgis is an optimist about the hardships of America.
• Jurgis is picked quickly from the line at Central Time Station.
• Jonas, Ona's brother, convinces them to go to America to become rich.
• The family heads to the stockyards.
• Though the house is decrepit, Jurgis remarks about how lucky they are.
• Jurgis' friend, a deli owner, helps him find a job, even though Jurgis can't speak English.
• Jobs at the stockyards are repetitive and don't require English speaking skills.
• The process of the cattle production...
This section contains 1,840 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)