|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Stephen tell Jack about his financial situation in Chapter 8 over dinner?
(a) He lost his house.
(b) He has money again.
(c) He is broke.
(d) The bank took his money.
2. What phrase means to assert a claim, as to a territory or stretch of water, by military presence?
(a) Capture the sea.
(b) Tame the ocean.
(c) Show the flag.
(d) Assert the waters.
3. From whom does Aubrey learn the Ringle had gone to the Downs in Chapter 7?
(a) Captain Fanshawe.
(b) Captain Calvert.
(c) Captain Griffiths.
(d) Captain Reade.
4. Who is the captain of the Ramillies?
5. In Chapter 6, Jack discovers that the two French frigates sailed from Brest and are attacking what?
(a) Russian navy vessels.
(b) British merchant ships.
(c) Viking warships.
(d) French merchant ships.
6. The Bellona returns to the bay when in Chapter 6?
(a) At dawn.
(b) Around dinnertime.
(c) On a Tuesday.
(d) At noon.
7. Where will Jack be stationed surveying and charting the coasts on his new ship in Chapter 10?
(c) South America.
(d) North America.
8. What wealthy Catalan merchant do Jack and Stephen discuss in Chapter 5?
(a) Mr Miller.
(b) Inigo Bernard.
9. What does Stephen give to Jack while they're talking over dinner in Chapter 8?
(a) A book.
(b) A bottle of scotch.
(d) A letter from Sophie.
10. Sophie expresses in her letter in Chapter 6 that she plans on moving where with the children?
(a) Ashgrove house.
(c) Maturin Farms.
(d) Fernbridge house.
11. What does the Christmas meal consist of among Jack Aubrey and friends in Chapter 9?
12. Stephen Maturin's two goddaughters are children he saved where?
(c) The desert.
(d) The Pacific.
13. Who is given permission to explore the proposals of the South Americans without making any commitments on the part of the British government?
(a) Sir Joseph Blaine.
(b) Mr. Walkinshaw.
(c) Captain Heneage Dundas.
(d) Stephen Maturin.
14. What ship do Stephen and Philip board together in Chapter 8?
(a) The Bellona.
(b) The Dover.
(c) The Queen Charlotte.
(d) The Nimble.
15. Where in the London club do the men of Aubrey's ship go to learn of the news during their absence in Chapter 10?
(a) The library.
(d) The bathroom.
Short Answer Questions
1. Diana tells Stephen she secured a loan using what as collateral in Chapter 8?
2. Who does Stephen discuss medical techniques with over wine in Chapter 8?
3. Who is paying rent while staying at the Aubrey home?
4. Stephen and Jack discuss the war's end and how there will be what in the navy in Chapter 8?
5. It is suspected that Stephen and his ship may have gone where in Chapter 7?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)