|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The children find Jack and Stephen to inform them of what in Chapter 2?
(a) A new neighbor moved in.
(b) A letter arrived.
(c) A horse died.
(d) Their friend is lost.
2. Stephen Maturin is a member of what society?
(a) Society of Commoners.
(b) Society of Engineers.
(c) Sailing Society.
(d) Royal Society.
3. Many of Jack's wealthy neighbors plan to enclose the common land of what?
(a) Jackson Penninsula.
(b) Rogers Bay.
(c) Jerry's Hill.
(d) Simmon's Lea.
4. The men transfer from one ship to the next in Chapter 4 with a great deal of what?
5. Who is the Midshipman on the Bellona?
(a) Mr. Geoghegan.
(b) Mr. Miller.
(c) Mr. Whewell.
(d) Mr. Callaghan.
6. Aubrey tells Maturin that inclosure involves a great deal of what in Chapter 3?
7. Who is the man that Stephen asks for directions to an inn from in Chapter 4?
(a) Captain William Fanshawe.
(b) Captain Calvert.
(c) Mr Miller.
(d) Hardwicke Courteney.
8. Captain Dundas and who arrive on Thursday at the Aubreys' estate?
9. What area located in England is where the Aubreys live?
10. After breakfast in Chapter 3, Stephen goes to the coach house to talk with whom?
(a) Jack Aubrey.
(c) Diana Maturin.
(d) Padeen Colman.
11. How many days have the ships been at sea in the beginning of Chapter 5?
12. Who is the First Lieutenant on the Bellona?
(a) Mr. Whewell.
(b) Mr. Harding.
(c) Mr. Geoghegan.
(d) Mr. Callaghan.
13. Who scores a knockout in the boxing fight in Chapter 3?
14. Who is Jack's neighbor at Woolcombe?
(a) Stephen Maturin.
(b) Mr Cholmondeley.
(c) Sir Joseph Blaine.
(d) Captain Griffiths.
15. What refers to the act of appropriating land, especially common land, by putting a hedge or other barrier around it?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Jack Aubrey's wife?
2. What passage do Jack and Stephen pass through as they walk the quarter deck in Chapter 4?
3. Who is the Admiral of the Brest blockading squadron?
4. Who do Jack and Stephen meet who tells Jack that he has to take the carriage to Wooton in Chapter 3?
5. Chapter 1 takes place in the office of which top official at the Admiralty in London?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)