|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Leeming say Moses was called?
(a) The Holy Land.
(b) The Red Sea.
(d) The desert.
2. Which is not an example of a sacred mountain in Leeming's account?
(a) Mount Sinai.
(b) Mount Olympus.
(c) Mount Ararat.
(d) Mount Everest.
3. What does Leeming say the city represents in myth?
(a) Corruption and commerce.
(b) Order and law.
(c) Confusion and society.
(d) Femininity and nourishment.
4. What does Leeming say beckoned to King Arthur's knights?
(a) The burning bush.
(b) The maid of the lake.
(c) God's angel Gabriel.
(d) The Holy Grail.
5. What idea does Leeming say that icons within churches often reinforce?
(a) The idea of inspiration.
(b) The idea of marriage.
(c) The idea of order.
(d) The idea of eternity.
6. Whose advice did the Trojans ignore when they decided to accept the Greeks' wooden horse?
7. What does Leeming say the myth of Gilgamesh represents?
(a) The perfection of human language in art.
(b) The quest for redemption.
(c) The fulfillment of human nature in death.
(d) The quest for eternal youth.
8. Who attempted to convince the Trojans to accept the wooden horse?
9. Where does Leeming say the garden, grove, and cave derive their sanctity?
(a) Their special and different set of rules.
(b) Their remoteness from daily human experience.
(c) Their darkness.
(d) Their relationship with the Great Mother.
10. What does Leeming say that mountain represents as a sacred place?
(a) The end of history.
(b) The cosmic center.
(c) The prophetic vision.
(d) The permanent presence of the forebears.
11. What time of year does the time when heroes are born correspond to?
12. What does Leeming say that Galahad found in the Chapel Perilous?
(a) Sir Lancelot and Guinevere.
(b) King Arthur.
(c) A giant.
(d) The Holy Grail.
13. What finally created the human baby in the Water Jar Boy myth?
(a) The water jar turned into a boy.
(b) The water jar was filled with water.
(c) The flowers turned into a baby.
(d) The water jar the girl gave birth to broke.
14. What does Leeming say Cuchulain had upon his birth?
(a) A powerful family.
(b) All the powers he needed for his quest.
(c) A sword.
(d) Six fingers on each hand.
15. In Leeming's account, why are temples and cities founded on mountains?
(a) Because they can be defended better there.
(b) Because they gain status when devotees have to bring water and food.
(c) Because they are closest to the Supreme Being there.
(d) Because can see the weather and visitors coming.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leeming say heroes like Karna and Buddha have because of their miraculous births?
2. What does Leeming say the hero attains in heroic feats?
3. What does Leeming say most myths are like in their nature?
4. What does Leeming say places and objects represent in myths?
5. How does Leeming say Buddha was conceived?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)