|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Leeming say the fall of a city represents in myth?
2. What does Leeming say beckoned to King Arthur's knights?
(a) The Holy Grail.
(b) The maid of the lake.
(c) God's angel Gabriel.
(d) The burning bush.
3. Who does Leeming say Theseus' parents were?
(a) A river nymph and a god.
(b) A wood nymph and a mortal woman.
(c) A supernatural spirit and a mortal woman.
(d) A goddess and a hunter.
4. What opposition does Leeming say King Arthur faced in assuming his quest?
(a) Opponents believed he was not fit to reign.
(b) His knights seduce his wife.
(c) His knights were not worthy.
(d) His subjects rebel.
5. What does Leeming say the Bethel stone represents?
(a) The origin of life.
(b) The ancestors.
(c) The gates of heaven.
(d) The center of the earth.
6. How does Leeming say Krishna is seen in Indian culture?
(a) As a god.
(b) As an eternal principle.
(c) As a prophet.
(d) As a god but also human.
7. What does Leeming say is similar between the myths of Hiawatha and the Buddha?
(a) Both can be related to self-denial.
(b) Both involve flowers.
(c) Both conclude with an apotheosis.
(d) Both are related to divine knowledge.
8. What does Leeming say places and objects are associated with in myth?
(a) Sacred properties.
(b) The immanence of fate.
(c) The ordinariness of objects
9. In what way does Leeming say that Jerusalem is an unusual city?
(a) It was a sacred place to Jews, Muslims, and Christians.
(b) It was conquered and reconquered frequently.
(c) It is at the center of the ancient world.
(d) It resisted conquest for thousands of years.
10. What time of year does the time when heroes are born correspond to?
11. What does Leeming say the hero attains in heroic feats?
(a) New powers and knowledge.
(b) Wealth and status.
(d) New crafts and techniques.
12. When was the story of Gilgamesh likely composed?
(a) 1,500 BCE.
(b) 1,000 BCE.
(c) 2000 BCE.
(d) 900 CE.
13. How does Leeming say the hero's quest typically begins?
(a) The hero is called into action.
(b) The hero discovers a special power.
(c) The hero leaves home.
(d) The hero is challenged by an opponent.
14. What does Leeming say the Norse tree of life represents?
(a) Knowledge and Wisdom.
(c) Death and resurrection.
15. What does Leeming say the story of the Pleiades typically illustrates?
(a) The persecution of a group of women.
(b) The female principle that only shows itself out of the corner of your eye.
(c) The interrelationships of sisters.
(d) The light that comes out of darkness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leeming say heroes like Karna and Buddha have because of their miraculous births?
2. Who attempted to convince the Trojans to accept the wooden horse?
3. Where does Leeming say Moses was called?
4. What does Leeming say that mountain represents as a sacred place?
5. Who sent the serpents that devoured the character who warned the Trojans not to accept the Greeks' wooden horse?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)