|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Leeming say places and objects are associated with in myth?
(b) Sacred properties.
(c) The immanence of fate.
(d) The ordinariness of objects
2. How old was Joan of Arc when she first heart supernatural voices?
3. What does Leeming say the loss of genitals represents in myth?
(a) Planting a seed in the womb of the Great Mother.
(b) Loss of a culture's integrity.
(c) Gaining second sight.
(d) Domination by ideas.
4. What does Leeming say urged the Buddha into action?
(a) His parents.
(b) The four signs.
(c) The lotus flower.
(d) A war.
5. What time of year does the time when heroes are born correspond to?
6. What does Leeming say the stone represents in the King Arthur and Theseus myths?
(a) The populace.
(c) A womb.
7. How does Leeming describe the sanctity of the garden, grove, and cave?
(a) As ancient.
(b) As feminine.
(c) As political.
(d) As divine.
8. When was the story of Gilgamesh likely composed?
(a) 1,000 BCE.
(b) 2000 BCE.
(c) 1,500 BCE.
(d) 900 CE.
9. What does Leeming say Oedipus was on a quest for?
10. What does Leeming say Jesus and Quetzalcoatl have in common?
(a) They both preached love.
(b) They were both reborn.
(c) They were both born of virgins.
(d) They were both divine humans.
11. What does Leeming say the Aboriginal myth of the Pleiades resembles?
(a) The Sumerian myth of the huntress.
(b) The Norse myth of the apocalypse.
(c) The Native American myth of the seven sisters.
(d) The Greek tale of the priestesses of Artemis being turned into stars.
12. Who tempts Gilgamesh in the myth?
13. What does Leeming say the Tree of Knowledge in the Hebraic myth foreshadows?
(a) The apotheosis of Christ.
(b) The loss of the Holy Land.
(c) The cross of Christ.
(d) The return to the Holy Land.
14. From where does Leeming take the term "monomyth?"
(a) James Joyce.
(b) Gertrude Stein.
(c) Ezra Pound.
(d) T. S. Eliot.
15. What does Leeming say the temple at Delphi represents?
(a) Prophetic arts.
(b) Karmic revisitation of sins.
(c) Feminine nature.
(d) Divine inspiration.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the temple at Delphi a microcosm for in Leeming's account?
2. Who sent the angel who called Moses to his quest?
3. What does Leeming say the hero does with the things the hero attains in heroic feats?
4. Why does Leeming say the hero sometimes refuses the quest?
5. Where does Leeming say Moses was called?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)