|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part IV: Chapters 1-8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What other divine figure does Leeming say the main Norse god resembles?
2. What does Leeming mean by the term 'monomyth'?
(a) The persistence of the collective unconscious across cultures.
(b) The single identity of all heroes.
(c) The tendency of most hero stories to follow one pattern.
(d) The commonality of elements in all myths.
3. What does Leeming say happened when the Greek soldiers came out of the wooden horse and captured Troy?
(a) The cosmos was turned to chaos.
(b) Greek enemies everywhere lost hope.
(c) The gigantomachy was avenged.
(d) A new age of the world was initiated.
4. What is a teleological reason for myth?
(a) To understand the nature of language.
(b) To compensate for the loss of instinct.
(c) To understand the origins of existence.
(d) To understand the cause and purpose of existence.
5. What is the end goal of human development in Hopi myth, in Leeming's account?
(a) Winning glory for their god.
(b) Converting non-believers to the Hopi perspective.
(c) Growing into the light of the Sun God's power.
(d) Manifesting the divinity on earth.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Leeming say heroes typically find their foes?
2. How does Leeming describe the Boshongo culture?
3. Who was the sun god of Heliopolis?
4. What does Leeming say the labyrinth represents?
5. How does Leeming define cosmology?
This section contains 278 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)