|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part IV: Chapters 1-8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Leeming say ancient cultures realized through cosmogonies?
(a) That death is ubiquitous in life.
(b) That the world's spirit pervades all forms.
(c) That culture survives the deaths of its members.
(d) That the Great Mother makes all life possible.
2. What does Leeming say about the birth of God?
(a) Leeming says that gods can only be born of virgins.
(b) Leeming says that in almost every myth, God is born of a holy Mother.
(c) Leeming says that gods are born from almost everything in existence.
(d) Leeming says that there is only one God, and he was born of the Virgin Mary.
3. Who does Leeming say Theseus' parents were?
(a) A wood nymph and a mortal woman.
(b) A goddess and a hunter.
(c) A supernatural spirit and a mortal woman.
(d) A river nymph and a god.
4. Which is not an example of a sacred mountain in Leeming's account?
(a) Mount Everest.
(b) Mount Ararat.
(c) Mount Olympus.
(d) Mount Sinai.
5. What reconciliation does Leeming say the Greeks' creation myths described?
(a) The reconciliation between ancient and modern ideas.
(b) The reconciliation between warring fathers and sons.
(c) The reconciliation between warring brothers.
(d) The reconciliation between male and female principles.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Leeming describe the mythic concern with creation?
2. What does Leeming say is similar between the myths of Hiawatha and the Buddha?
3. What does Leeming say Jesus and Quetzalcoatl have in common?
4. How does Leeming describe Delphi?
5. What does Leeming say Christ's cross and Odin and Attis' sacred trees represent?
This section contains 333 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)