|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I: Chapters 1-5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What psychological experience does Leeming say is central to cosmogonies?
(a) The rise of consciousness from unconsciousness.
(b) The rise of technology.
(c) The rise of industry from crafts.
(d) The rise of nationalism from tribalism.
2. When does Leeming say the older Genesis text was likely composed?
(a) 800 BCE.
(b) 110 CE.
(c) 500 BCE.
(d) 950 BCE.
3. In Leeming's account, how did the Hopi create their creation myth?
(a) Through art.
(b) Through spreading their culture.
(c) Through initiating their children.
(d) Through song.
4. What does Leeming say about the birth of God?
(a) Leeming says that in almost every myth, God is born of a holy Mother.
(b) Leeming says that gods can only be born of virgins.
(c) Leeming says that gods are born from almost everything in existence.
(d) Leeming says that there is only one God, and he was born of the Virgin Mary.
5. What does Leeming say ancient cultures realized through cosmogonies?
(a) That culture survives the deaths of its members.
(b) That death is ubiquitous in life.
(c) That the Great Mother makes all life possible.
(d) That the world's spirit pervades all forms.
Short Answer Questions
1. What evidence does Leeming cite that suggests the presence of whites in Africa?
2. How does Leeming say the Chinese describe the flood?
3. How does Leeming describe the mythic concern with creation?
4. What does Leeming say cosmogonies represent?
5. What is eschatology?
This section contains 311 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)