|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I: Chapters 1-5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Leeming define cosmology?
(a) The study of the history of the heavens.
(b) The study of the structure of the universe.
(c) The scientific study of the universal order.
(d) The study of beauty aids.
2. How does Leeming describe the mythic concern with creation?
(a) As a metaphor for maturity.
(b) As a metaphor for storytelling.
(c) As a metaphor for birth.
(d) As a metaphor for history.
3. What does Leeming say the flood was for in Mayan culture?
(a) As a punishment for sins against the gods.
(b) As an attempt to avert a war against the gods.
(c) As a way to help cultivate the earth.
(d) Destroying an experimental form of humankind.
4. How does Leeming describe the Boshongo culture?
(a) As warlike.
(b) As patrilineal.
(c) As matriarchal.
(d) As communal.
5. What evidence does Leeming cite that suggests the presence of whites in Africa?
(a) Bumba has new ways of doing things.
(b) Bumba is white.
(c) Bumba subjugates other tribes.
(d) Bumba speaks a foreign language.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leeming say is consistent from one set of myths to another?
2. What problem or question does Leeming say cultures were addressing in cosmogonies?
3. When were the Coffin Texts made?
4. What does Leeming say the Hebrew creation myth was concerned with?
5. From what language does the term "Cosmogony" derive?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)