|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I: Chapters 1-5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Leeming define cosmic myth?
(a) Myths that define the order of the world.
(b) Myths that explain the location of different stars.
(c) Myths that define the history of the earth.
(d) Myths that define the constellations.
2. How does Leeming describe Hopi culture?
(a) As warlike.
(b) As communal.
(c) As patriarchal.
(d) As matrilineal.
3. What does Leeming say the flood represents as a metaphor?
(a) Extreme guilt washing away with forgiveness.
(b) The cleansing effect of death on culture.
(c) The unconscious before experiencing rebirth.
(d) The clean feeling after admitting wrong.
4. What does Leeming say myths describe with regard to individuals relating to the Supreme Being?
(a) Myths describe the rules that govern redemption and grace for humans.
(b) Myths describe the innate unity of each individual with the Supreme Being.
(c) Myths describe the irreconcilable split that divides humans from the Supreme Being.
(d) Myths describe the state of formless perfection alongside the Supreme Being.
5. What does Leeming say ancient cultures realized through cosmogonies?
(a) That the Great Mother makes all life possible.
(b) That death is ubiquitous in life.
(c) That culture survives the deaths of its members.
(d) That the world's spirit pervades all forms.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Leeming's account, how did the Hopi create their creation myth?
2. What does Leeming say was the central organizing principle of the Christian Creation myth?
3. What is the end goal of human development in Hopi myth, in Leeming's account?
4. The first recorded creation myth was part myth and part what else?
5. What do the various versions of the Egyptian creation myth Leeming cites revolve around?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)