|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I: Chapters 1-5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Leeming say the Hebrew creation myth was concerned with?
(a) The morality of human beings.
(b) The indifference of the creator to his creation.
(c) The role of humanity in the universe.
(d) The possibility of justice in dealings with people.
2. What does Leeming say ancient cultures realized through cosmogonies?
(a) That death is ubiquitous in life.
(b) That culture survives the deaths of its members.
(c) That the Great Mother makes all life possible.
(d) That the world's spirit pervades all forms.
3. What creation myth does Leeming say modern people favor?
(a) Intelligent design.
(b) The Big Bang.
(c) Creation ex nihilo.
4. What psychological experience does Leeming say is central to cosmogonies?
(a) The rise of consciousness from unconsciousness.
(b) The rise of technology.
(c) The rise of industry from crafts.
(d) The rise of nationalism from tribalism.
5. How does Bumba create the earth in Boshongo creation myth?
(a) He finds it.
(b) He excretes it.
(c) He vomits it.
(d) He fashions it from stone.
Short Answer Questions
1. The first recorded creation myth was part myth and part what else?
2. When was the Book of the Dead made?
3. Why mystery does Leeming address with regard to human creation?
4. What is cosmogony?
5. What is the end goal of human development in Hopi myth, in Leeming's account?
This section contains 294 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)