|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part II: Chapters 1-3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is cosmogony?
(a) Myth of the beginning of humanity.
(b) Myth of beautification.
(c) Myth of creation.
(d) Myth of the end of time.
2. What is the end goal of human development in Hopi myth, in Leeming's account?
(a) Winning glory for their god.
(b) Growing into the light of the Sun God's power.
(c) Converting non-believers to the Hopi perspective.
(d) Manifesting the divinity on earth.
3. To what does Leeming say the oldest myth refers?
(a) Primeval gathering places or mounds that become fused with the sun.
(b) Plains where men sow seeds that unite earth and water.
(c) Caves where men are reunited with the earth.
(d) Oceans where life first developed.
4. What do the various versions of the Egyptian creation myth Leeming cites revolve around?
(a) The different explanations for consciousness.
(b) The different names for the god.
(c) The competing theories for creation.
(d) The different justifications for divine kings' rule.
5. How does Leeming say the Chinese describe the flood?
(a) As a way to help cultivate the earth.
(b) As a punishment for sins against the gods.
(c) As a way to purge a preliminary form of humanity.
(d) As an attempt to avert a war against the gods.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Leeming say the Greek name Zeus comes from?
2. To whom does Leeming credit the adaptation of the Greek pantheon the Roman religion?
3. What evidence does Leeming cite that suggests the presence of whites in Africa?
4. When were creation myths repeated in the culture that created the oldest myth Leeming cites?
5. What psychological experience does Leeming say is central to cosmogonies?
This section contains 328 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)