|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part II: Chapters 1-3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the Greeks explain the presence of winter?
(a) Zeus bans fertility.
(b) Hera goes away on a trip.
(c) Hades conquers earth.
(d) Demeter mourns for her daughter.
2. What does Leeming say happened to the figure of the Great Mother over time?
(a) It lost significance.
(b) It acquired new faces.
(c) It became merely decorative.
(d) It lingered at the periphery of industrial culture.
3. Who was the oldest divine being in the Greek pantheon?
4. When does Leeming say the older Genesis text was likely composed?
(a) 500 BCE.
(b) 800 BCE.
(c) 950 BCE.
(d) 110 CE.
5. What is a teleological reason for myth?
(a) To compensate for the loss of instinct.
(b) To understand the cause and purpose of existence.
(c) To understand the origins of existence.
(d) To understand the nature of language.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Leeming say the Supreme Being is frequently characterized?
2. What does Leeming say the Egyptian pantheon is centered on?
3. What does Leeming say about cosmogonies?
4. When was the Book of the Dead made?
5. What is an ontological reason for myth?
This section contains 234 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)