|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part II: Chapters 1-3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What evidence does Leeming cite to argue for a single matriarch at the beginning of the Greek pantheon?
(a) Gaia killed her husbands.
(b) Gaia fought to enthrone each of her husbands.
(c) Gaia devoured her offspring.
(d) Gaia created her own mate.
2. From what language does the term "Cosmogony" derive?
3. What does Leeming say the Supreme Being represents?
(a) The laws of creation.
(b) The possibility of redemption.
(c) The embodiment of kingship.
(d) The beginning and end of time.
4. How does Leeming describe the Greek people's pantheon?
(a) As a nationalization of local gods.
(b) As a system of checks and balances.
(c) As a set of gods cobbled together into a narrative.
(d) As a divine family.
5. How does Bumba create the earth in Boshongo creation myth?
(a) He vomits it.
(b) He finds it.
(c) He fashions it from stone.
(d) He excretes it.
Short Answer Questions
1. When were the Coffin Texts made?
2. What does Leeming say about cosmogonies?
3. What is a teleological reason for myth?
4. What does Leeming say suggests a desire to escape from earthly existence?
5. What problem or question does Leeming say cultures were addressing in cosmogonies?
This section contains 299 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)