|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part II: Chapters 1-3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Leeming say is important about dying gods?
(a) Dying gods give men reasons to go to war.
(b) Dying gods explain the seasons.
(c) Dying gods let cultures experience death and resurrection.
(d) Dying gods protect humans from their feelings about death.
2. Where is the Norse pantheon first described in writing?
(a) The Nibelungenleid.
(b) The Elder and Younger Eddas.
(c) The Kalevala.
(d) Tacitus' Germania.
3. Who does Leeming say parallels Lucifer in the Norse pantheon?
4. In Leeming's account, how did the Hopi create their creation myth?
(a) Through song.
(b) Through spreading their culture.
(c) Through art.
(d) Through initiating their children.
5. What does Leeming say was the primary difference between the Greek pantheon and the Roman pantheon?
(a) The Romans used the Greek pantheon to justify their wars.
(b) The Romans placed more value on the gods as personifications of abstractions.
(c) The Romans became more philosophical and contemplative about myths.
(d) The Romans placed more value on the practical results of myths.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Leeming say the Zeus and Hera represented humanity in Greek culture?
2. What does Leeming say the Roman pantheon is rife with?
3. How does Leeming define gods?
4. Who does Leeming say is the main god in the Norse pantheon?
5. When does Leeming say the older Genesis text was likely composed?
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)