|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part II: Chapters 1-3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is cosmogony?
(a) Myth of creation.
(b) Myth of the end of time.
(c) Myth of beautification.
(d) Myth of the beginning of humanity.
2. How do the Greeks explain the presence of winter?
(a) Hera goes away on a trip.
(b) Hades conquers earth.
(c) Zeus bans fertility.
(d) Demeter mourns for her daughter.
3. What does Leeming say was the central organizing principle of the Christian Creation myth?
(b) Free will.
4. What is a teleological reason for myth?
(a) To understand the origins of existence.
(b) To understand the nature of language.
(c) To understand the cause and purpose of existence.
(d) To compensate for the loss of instinct.
5. What creation myth does Leeming say modern people favor?
(a) Creation ex nihilo.
(b) The Big Bang.
(d) Intelligent design.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Leeming say the Egyptian god Isis corresponds in the Greek pantheon?
2. What does Leeming say happened to the figure of the Great Mother over time?
3. When was the New Testament book of Revelation likely composed?
4. What does Leeming say the Egyptian pantheon is centered on?
5. Who does Leeming say is the main god in the Norse pantheon?
This section contains 224 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)