|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapters 1-4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Leeming say about the birth of God?
(a) Leeming says that gods are born from almost everything in existence.
(b) Leeming says that gods can only be born of virgins.
(c) Leeming says that there is only one God, and he was born of the Virgin Mary.
(d) Leeming says that in almost every myth, God is born of a holy Mother.
2. What does Leeming say had to happen before the Olympian gods could reign in the Greek pantheon?
(a) The Olympian gods had to create humans.
(b) Humans had to offer their worship.
(c) Two dynasties of gods had to be overthrown.
(d) The flood.
3. When does Leeming say the Greek pantheon was adapted to Roman religion?
(a) 600-400 BCE.
(b) 300-100 BCE.
(c) 900-500 BCE.
(d) 500-400 BCE.
4. What does Leeming say suggests a desire to escape from earthly existence?
(a) The evolution of morals and laws.
(b) The transition from struggle and creation to fall from grace.
(c) The transformation from instinctual to moral consciousness.
(d) The development of technology.
5. How do the Greeks explain the presence of winter?
(a) Hera goes away on a trip.
(b) Hades conquers earth.
(c) Demeter mourns for her daughter.
(d) Zeus bans fertility.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Leeming describe the Greek people's pantheon?
2. How does Leeming say earth religions still worship the Great Mother?
3. What element does Leeming say the Water Jar Boy myth contains?
4. Who tempts Gilgamesh in the myth?
5. What does Leeming say is consistent from one set of myths to another?
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)