|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapters 1-4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Leeming say the Great Mother began to play a role over time?
(a) In folklore.
(b) In industrial religion.
(c) In modern art.
(d) In primitive culture.
2. What does Leeming say Horus represents, in the Egyptian pantheon?
(a) The playful nature of fate.
(b) The rage of war.
(c) The spiritual force governing the Pharaoh.
(d) The rebirth of the earth after winter.
3. What does Leeming say is similar between the myths of Hiawatha and the Buddha?
(a) Both conclude with an apotheosis.
(b) Both are related to divine knowledge.
(c) Both can be related to self-denial.
(d) Both involve flowers.
4. How does Leeming define the hero?
(a) The hero is an inventor who brings new knowledge.
(b) The hero is the fixer who banishes monsters and overcomes obstacles.
(c) The hero is any exceptional person.
(d) The hero is the person who performs feats beyond the ordinary world.
5. What does Leeming say the myth of Gilgamesh represents?
(a) The quest for eternal youth.
(b) The perfection of human language in art.
(c) The quest for redemption.
(d) The fulfillment of human nature in death.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Leeming say heroes tend to be born?
2. What opposition does Leeming say King Arthur faced in assuming his quest?
3. When were creation myths repeated in the culture that created the oldest myth Leeming cites?
4. What does Leeming say about cosmogonies?
5. Where does Leeming say Moses was called?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)