|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapters 1-4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Leeming say cosmogonies represent?
(a) Future predictions.
(b) Cultural truths.
(c) Scientific truths.
(d) Historical realities.
2. Why does Leeming say cultures give human form to Supreme Beings?
(a) Because they cannot express the sublimity of existence without giving it a human face.
(b) Because humans tend to see their virtues as outlasting them.
(c) Because they do not understand anything beyond human limitations.
(d) Because a Supreme Being protects them from the night.
3. What problem or question does Leeming say cultures were addressing in cosmogonies?
(a) The question of how life forms evolved and differentiated.
(b) The question of why men are stronger than women are.
(c) The question of how man rose to the summit of power over nature.
(d) The question of birth from nothing.
4. How does Leeming say the Supreme Being is frequently characterized?
(a) As a thunderbolt.
(b) As the sun.
(c) As the earth.
(d) As a snake.
5. Who was the oldest divine being in the Greek pantheon?
Short Answer Questions
1. What opposition does Leeming say King Arthur faced in assuming his quest?
2. When was the New Testament book of Revelation likely composed?
3. When was the story of Gilgamesh likely composed?
4. What does Leeming say the stories of heroes who return or are reborn signify?
5. What is a teleological reason for myth?
This section contains 281 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)