|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year does Chapter 2 begin?
(a) Present day.
2. How did residents of Yosemite feel about John, according to Chapter 9?
(a) They avoided him.
(b) They feared him.
(c) They liked him.
(d) They didn't know him.
3. How did the bear initially react to John?
(a) It did not run away.
(b) It ignored him.
(c) It sniffed him, then moved on.
(d) It chased him.
4. Where did John's father move the family in Chapter 3?
(a) Key West.
(b) Hickory Hill.
(c) Fountain Lake.
(d) Old Dunbar Castle.
5. What did the children discover about John's family home?
(a) It is going to be torn down.
(b) It was once a church.
(c) It is haunted.
(d) They don't own it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did John decide to do regarding bears after his second encounter?
2. Where was the boat going in Chapter 5 that John took?
3. In what city did John earn a degree?
4. Where did John's father take the family in Chapter 2?
5. What did John do when he first saw the bear?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain John's climbing of the ice cone.
2. What two characteristics are common to Scottish children, according to John?
3. How did John feel about shepherding? How did he deal with his feelings?
4. What did John and his siblings do on the family's land? Why?
5. What did John do in 1869?
6. What did John and his siblings learn about their home? Who tells them?
7. What did John do in the days after his first encounter with a bear?
8. What did Daniel decide to do in 1857? Why did he do this?
9. After his second encounter with a bear, explain how John's attitude and behavior toward bears changed.
10. Where did John want to go in Chapter 5? What concerns did he have about it?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)