|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to many people in the colder weather on the Yosemite?
(a) They got frostbitten.
(b) They hoarded supplies.
(c) They went to warmer climates.
(d) They built igloos.
2. How did residents of Yosemite feel about John, according to Chapter 9?
(a) They avoided him.
(b) They feared him.
(c) They didn't know him.
(d) They liked him.
3. Where did John's father move the family in Chapter 3?
(a) Old Dunbar Castle.
(b) Fountain Lake.
(c) Key West.
(d) Hickory Hill.
4. What did John want to see at the Sierra Nevada?
(a) The valleys.
(b) The waterfalls.
(c) The peaks.
(d) The lights.
5. How long was John given to recover after he nearly drifted off to sleep working for his father?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) A few hours.
(c) A week.
(d) A day.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two crops did John and his siblings help grow to be sold?
2. In what year did John have unsteady work in the Yosemite Valley?
3. According to Chapter 3, when did John's father relocate the family?
4. What did the children discover about John's family home?
5. Where did John hike at the beginning of Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are "scoochers?" Give one example.
2. Why did John hike in the winter? What do you think this particular season offered that was different from warmer weather hikes?
3. Explain John's second encounter with a bear.
4. What did John and his siblings learn about their home? Who tells them?
5. What did the residents of Yosemite Valley think of John?
6. How did John get across an area he could not pass in Chapter 5?
7. Who was John's father? What kind of man was he? How do you know?
8. What were John's geographical movements at the beginning of Chapter 6? What work did he do at this time?
9. How did John feel about city life?
10. Describe the ice cone.
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)