|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did John arrive at the beginning of Chapter 6?
(a) San Francisco.
2. How long did John explore the Sierra Nevada, according to Chapter 8?
(a) Eight years.
(b) Three years.
(c) Six years.
(d) Six months.
3. In what city did John earn a degree?
(a) New York City.
(b) San Diego.
4. Why did John's father sell the crops the family grows?
(a) To build the children's inheritance.
(b) To support the family.
(c) To support missionaries.
(d) To buy his way into politics.
5. In what year does Chapter 2 begin?
(a) Present day.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far down into the ice cone could John see?
2. What did John decide to do regarding bears after his second encounter?
3. In what canyon was the dome John went to the top of after his first encounter with the bear?
4. What kind of a father was John's father?
5. Who told the children something frightening about John's family home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain John's bout with a fever in Chapter 5.
2. Explain avalanche-riding. What was John's experience with it?
3. How did John feel about shepherding? How did he deal with his feelings?
4. What did John do in the days after his first encounter with a bear?
5. How did John get across an area he could not pass in Chapter 5?
6. What did John do in 1869?
7. After his second encounter with a bear, explain how John's attitude and behavior toward bears changed.
8. How did John feel about city life?
9. Explain John's first encounter with a bear.
10. Describe the ice cone.
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)