|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did John want to see at the Sierra Nevada?
(a) The peaks.
(b) The waterfalls.
(c) The valleys.
(d) The lights.
2. After John's second encounter with the bear, how did bears generally treat him?
(a) They did not change their behavior.
(b) They gave him notice of their coming.
(c) They stayed away from him.
(d) They followed him to observe him.
3. What was at the top of the ice cone?
(a) A crater.
(b) It is never revealed.
(c) A point.
(d) A plateau.
4. How did residents of Yosemite feel about John, according to Chapter 9?
(a) They didn't know him.
(b) They feared him.
(c) They liked him.
(d) They avoided him.
5. How old was John when his family relocated in Chapter 3?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who once owned John's family home?
2. Why did John think his father relocated the family in Chapter 3?
3. What agreement did John make with the owner of the boat in order to gain passage?
4. How did the bear react when John encountered it a second time?
5. According to Chapter 4, when did John have free time?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did John feel about city life?
2. Explain John's eye injury, and what happened afterward.
3. What did John do in the fall of 1869? What did readers learn about him at the end of Chapter 8?
4. What did John do in the days after his first encounter with a bear?
5. What happened when John reached Yosemite Falls?
6. Explain John's education, and what he did with his degree.
7. Explain John's bout with a fever in Chapter 5.
8. What did Daniel decide to do in 1857? Why did he do this?
9. Describe the ice cone.
10. What happened to John when he was finishing the well that needed to be dug on the family's land?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)