|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was different about the landmark John climbed in Chapter 10 in comparison to John's other mentioned landmarks?
(a) It was man made.
(b) It had never been explored.
(c) It was a common retreat for John.
(d) It was unidentified.
2. Why did John take the action he did when he first saw the bear?
(a) To study its gait.
(b) To save his own life.
(c) To show it respect.
(d) To get the bear to leave him alone.
3. What caused John to start drifting off to sleep while working for his father?
(a) Venom from a snake.
(b) Carbonic gas.
4. How long was John given to recover after he nearly drifted off to sleep working for his father?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) A week.
(c) A day.
(d) A few hours.
5. What interaction did John say he had with a bear in Chapter 7?
(a) A "close call."
(b) A "friendship."
(c) An "interview."
(d) A "meeting."
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did John arrive at the beginning of Chapter 6?
2. How old was John when his family relocated in Chapter 3?
3. How did John spend the little free time he had?
4. What did John want to investigate in the early summer of 1869?
5. In what canyon was the dome John went to the top of after his first encounter with the bear?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was John's father? What kind of man was he? How do you know?
2. What two characteristics are common to Scottish children, according to John?
3. What are "scoochers?" Give one example.
4. Explain avalanche-riding. What was John's experience with it?
5. Why did John hike in the winter? What do you think this particular season offered that was different from warmer weather hikes?
6. Describe the ice cone.
7. How did John feel about city life?
8. Explain John's bout with a fever in Chapter 5.
9. What did John do in the days after his first encounter with a bear?
10. What happened to John when he was finishing the well that needed to be dug on the family's land?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)