|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many rattlesnakes did John kill in Chapter 11?
2. What was John taking care of in Chapter 12?
(a) A friend's summer home.
(b) A horse.
(c) A cemetery.
(d) A hotel.
3. Who accompanied John as he led a party up Mount Shasta?
(a) James Fey.
(b) An unnamed friend.
(c) William Keith.
(d) His father.
4. On which side of the Sierra Nevada did a natural event occur in Chapter 12?
5. How many times did John climb Mount Shasta?
(a) Only once.
(d) He never climbed to the top.
6. Where was the mountain after John's first day of climbing?
(a) He was at its base.
(b) Miles away.
(c) He was already climbing it.
(d) A few days away.
7. What natural event occurred in Chapter 15?
(a) A storm.
(b) A flood.
(c) An earthquake.
(d) A tornado.
8. How high did John and James climb in four hours and ten minutes?
(a) The exact height is not known.
(b) 8,000 feet.
(c) 7,000 feet.
(d) 6,000 feet.
9. In what season did the events of Chapter 17 probably occur?
10. Where did John spend the winter of 1872?
(b) San Francisco.
(c) San Diego.
11. How many trips did John take to Alaska?
12. On what day did Chapter 12 take place?
(a) March 26.
(b) August 6.
(c) March 16.
(d) October 29.
13. On what day did John lead a party up Mount Shasta?
(a) April 28th.
(b) April 16th.
(c) May 9th.
(d) June 16th.
14. What composed the lake John took his friends to?
(a) Sand and loose ashes.
(b) Granite stones and loose ashes.
(c) Hard lava and granite stones.
(d) Hard lava and loose ashes.
15. According to Chapter 13, what was John's evening like on the first day of climbing?
(a) Almost religious.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did John decide to climb while he was out in nature in Chapter 15?
2. Who was with John and his friend as they approached the mountain in Chapter 13?
3. How did John reassure the group's worry as he led them up Mount Shasta?
4. How long did John spend in the city in the winter of 1872?
5. How many rattlesnake kills did John regret in Chapter 11?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)