|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was John taking care of in Chapter 12?
(a) A cemetery.
(b) A horse.
(c) A friend's summer home.
(d) A hotel.
2. Where was the mountain after John's first day of climbing?
(a) A few days away.
(b) Miles away.
(c) He was at its base.
(d) He was already climbing it.
3. What was in short supply when John climbed Lone Mountain with companions?
(b) Oil for lamps.
4. How wide was the crevasse John and the dog encountered on a glacier?
(a) 30 feet.
(b) 60 feet.
(c) 40 feet.
(d) 50 feet.
5. In what year did Chapter 16 occur?
(d) The exact year is not known.
6. What friend of John is introduced in Chapter 13?
(a) S. Young.
(b) Daniel Childers.
(c) William Keith.
(d) Ernie Anderson.
7. Why did John lead a party up Mount Shasta?
(a) For a survey.
(b) To map the mountain.
(c) To study animals on the mountain.
(d) As a tour guide.
8. What animals were in the place John and his friends sought refuge in the adventure on the lake?
(a) Wood rats.
(b) Garden snakes.
(c) A badger and an owl.
9. What did John argue had a significant impact on the Sierra Nevadas, according to Chapter 19?
(a) Animal migration.
(b) The melting of glaciers.
(c) Glacier activity.
(d) Logging patterns.
10. What was the lake in Chapter 17 known for?
(b) Frequent storms.
(c) Lily pads and flowers almost year-round.
11. How many rattlesnakes did John kill in Chapter 11?
12. What were important to farmers in California, according to Chapter 11?
(d) Garden snakes.
13. On what lake did the adventure in Chapter 17 take place?
(a) Lake Econlockhatchee.
(b) Fountain Lake.
(c) Lake Standish.
(d) Mono Lake.
14. Whose version of events is in the second part of Chapter 19?
(a) An unnamed companion's.
(b) The steamboat captain's.
(c) Reverend Young's.
15. On what day did Chapter 12 take place?
(a) March 16.
(b) August 6.
(c) October 29.
(d) March 26.
Short Answer Questions
1. On which side of the Sierra Nevada did a natural event occur in Chapter 12?
2. What denomination was the minister who met John on a steamboat?
3. What could John NOT see from the mountain, according to Chapter 13?
4. On what day did John lead a party up Mount Shasta?
5. Why did John and his friend spend several days at a campsite on their excursion?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)