|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year did Chapter 16 occur?
(b) The exact year is not known.
2. On what lake did the adventure in Chapter 17 take place?
(a) Lake Econlockhatchee.
(b) Lake Standish.
(c) Fountain Lake.
(d) Mono Lake.
3. How did John reassure the group's worry as he led them up Mount Shasta?
(a) He said he packed extra supplies.
(b) He said they could quickly get back down the mountain.
(c) He said there was a path they were following.
(d) He said the animals were all peaceful on Mount Shasta.
4. How high did John and James climb in four hours and ten minutes?
(a) 6,000 feet.
(b) 8,000 feet.
(c) 7,000 feet.
(d) The exact height is not known.
5. How tall is Mount Shasta?
(a) 11,556 feet.
(b) 14,142 feet.
(c) About 15,000 feet.
(d) 17,563 feet.
6. The Yosemite indigenous believed that _____________ caused the natural event that was discussed in Chapter 12.
(a) The god of the mountains.
(b) Angry spirits.
(c) Another tribe's medicine man.
(d) White settlers.
7. How did John treat rattlesnakes after his initial encounters with them in Chapter 11?
(a) He turned them over to park rangers in his area.
(b) He tried to tame them.
(c) He avoided them.
(d) He ignored them.
8. Who was the steamboat captain that John turned Reverend Young over to in Chapter 19?
(a) Joseph Land.
(b) Thomas Paris.
(c) Nat Lane.
(d) Leonard Coleson.
9. Where was the mountain after John's first day of climbing?
(a) He was at its base.
(b) He was already climbing it.
(c) A few days away.
(d) Miles away.
10. How many rattlesnake kills did John regret in Chapter 11?
(a) Both of them.
(b) Only the first.
(c) None of them; he didn't kill any.
(d) All of them.
11. Why did John have to move around the base of the mountain before climbing it?
(a) To find the best view.
(b) To leave markers for himself to get back.
(c) To find the path cut by previous mountaineers.
(d) To find a scalable point.
12. How many rattlesnakes did John kill in Chapter 11?
13. What composed the lake John took his friends to?
(a) Hard lava and granite stones.
(b) Hard lava and loose ashes.
(c) Granite stones and loose ashes.
(d) Sand and loose ashes.
14. What time of day did John decide to climb in Chapter 15?
(a) Just before sunset.
(d) Early morning.
15. Who was with John and his friend as they approached the mountain in Chapter 13?
(a) Another artist.
(b) A newspaper reporter.
(c) A sherpa.
(d) A government official.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nationality was John's friend, according to Chapter 13?
2. What did John and his friends find on the lake?
3. Where did John and his friends seek refuge in the adventure on the lake?
4. How was John able to get going again after the half-way point on the mountain?
5. How high did John climb in Chapter 15?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)