|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animals were in the place John and his friends sought refuge in the adventure on the lake?
(a) Wood rats.
(c) A badger and an owl.
(d) Garden snakes.
2. According to Chapter 13, what was John's evening like on the first day of climbing?
(c) Almost religious.
3. What did John do when he reached the half-way point of the mountain?
(a) He set up a semi-permanent camp.
(b) He went back down the mountain.
(c) He sent up a flare.
(d) He stopped.
4. What animal was John initially prejudiced against in Chapter 11?
(c) Garden snakes.
(d) Boa constrictors.
5. Why did John and his friend spend several days at a campsite on their excursion?
(a) John injured himself.
(b) They were sketching the landscape.
(c) It had a beautiful view.
(d) They were tracking an animal who has stopped.
6. What is the name of the phenomena that occurred in Chapter 12?
(a) The Day the Earth Stood Still.
(b) Inyo Earthquake.
(c) The Great Yosemite Storm.
(d) The Great Day.
7. The Yosemite indigenous believed that _____________ caused the natural event that was discussed in Chapter 12.
(a) Angry spirits.
(b) Another tribe's medicine man.
(c) White settlers.
(d) The god of the mountains.
8. How did John treat rattlesnakes after his initial encounters with them in Chapter 11?
(a) He tried to tame them.
(b) He ignored them.
(c) He avoided them.
(d) He turned them over to park rangers in his area.
9. Whose version of events is in the second part of Chapter 19?
(a) An unnamed companion's.
(c) Reverend Young's.
(d) The steamboat captain's.
10. What friend of John is introduced in Chapter 13?
(a) S. Young.
(b) Daniel Childers.
(c) Ernie Anderson.
(d) William Keith.
11. What was the lake in Chapter 17 known for?
(c) Lily pads and flowers almost year-round.
(d) Frequent storms.
12. How many trips did John take to Alaska?
13. What natural event occurred in Chapter 12?
(a) A blizzard hit.
(b) A tornado tore through Yosemite.
(c) An earthquake.
(d) A volcano erupted.
14. How long did John spend in the city in the winter of 1872?
(a) Until the first thaw.
(b) Two months.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Four months.
15. In what season did the events of Chapter 17 probably occur?
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the account in Chapter 18 written?
2. In what year did Chapter 12 take place?
3. How many glaciers did John explore?
4. What composed the lake John took his friends to?
5. In what month did Chapter 15 occur?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)