|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would accurately describe Stephen's response toward Mary's confessions of love and attraction?
2. On vacation together, what activities do Stephen and Mary particularly enjoy doing?
3. While Stephen takes in the sights and cultures of Paris life, she begins fencing again. What is the name of her instructor?
4. What is the name of the woman Mary befriends in Italy?
5. After returning home from a visit to Morton, what is the most reasonable explanation for Stephen's decision to write a third novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Stephen attempt to protect Mary while the two are serving together in the ambulance brigade during the war?
2. What writing advice does Jonathan Brockett give to Stephen upon the release of her second novel?
3. What connection do Stephen and Wanda share with each other, particularly around Christmas time?
4. What career path has Stephen chosen upon leaving Morton?
5. What important connections does Mary make at Valerie Seymour's Christmas party the year after she moves to Paris?
6. Why does Martin threaten to leave Paris soon after he meets Stephen there?
7. What is Stephen's life like two years after leaving Morton?
8. How does Raferty prompt Stephen to return home to Morton?
9. What type of tour does Brockett give to Stephen once she arrives in Paris, and what is Stephen's reaction to the tour?
10. How does Stephen react when World War I breaks out while she is living in Paris?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout Stephen's childhood, Sir Phillip was perhaps the only person who truly understood her. First, describe the studying Sir Phillip did on his daughter's "condition." What "truth" did Sir Phillip think he knew about Stephen? What was his reaction to this information? Then, explain why Sir Phillip kept the information he learned about Stephen from her? What was the effect of this secret on Stephen's relationship with her father? If Sir Phillip had lived longer, do you think he ever would have told the truth to his daughter?
Essay Topic 2
The Morton Property had many different managers. First, describe the time line of managers that took over Morton during the time that Stephen and her family lived there. Then, choose two of the different property managers and describe their management styles. What is the same about their styles? How did each come to managerial power at the Morton Property? What changes did they make while in charge? Finally, describe, in your own opinion, who was the best property manager to lead Morton Property?
Essay Topic 3
When Stephen and Mary Llewellyn meet for the first time, there is an instant attraction. First, describe how Mary and Stephen first meet. Which of the two makes the first move? Then, describe at least two of the major hurdles Stephen and Mary overcome in the first year of their relationship together. Based on the events of their relationship, do you think Stephen and Mary were a good romantic match?
This section contains 1,220 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)