|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Stephen's reaction toward Martin Hallam's letter, notifying her of his recent move to Paris and intentions to reignite their friendship?
2. What is Barbara's primary symptom of illness while on vacation?
3. After the Christmas Party, which of the following institutions do Stephen and Wanda attend together one afternoon?
4. While Stephen takes in the sights and cultures of Paris life, she begins fencing again. What is the name of her instructor?
5. During Stephen and Mary's Christmas party, what is the topic of discussion between Wanda and Stephen much to the chagrin of the other guests?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Raferty prompt Stephen to return home to Morton?
2. What career path has Stephen chosen upon leaving Morton?
3. How does Stephen attempt to protect Mary while the two are serving together in the ambulance brigade during the war?
4. What is Rue Jacob?
5. How does Stephen trick Mary into leaving her, and what is Mary's reaction to this trick?
6. Why does Martin threaten to leave Paris soon after he meets Stephen there?
7. How does Stephen react when Martin Hallam writes to tell her that he has moved to Paris?
8. How does Stephen's work affect her relationship with Mary?
9. What is Stephen's life like two years after leaving Morton?
10. How do Barbara and Jamie die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of alienation is prevalent in this novel. First, describe the way that homosexuals are presented in the novel. How does their presentation illustrate the theme of alienation? Then, choose one other group of people discussed in this novel that are also ostracized. What is the same about their feeling of aloneness? What is different? What connection do you think Hall is making between these two groups of people through their feelings of being ostracized?
Essay Topic 2
While she was growing up in Morton, Stephen had very different relationships with each of her parents. First, describe how Stephen's parents reacted, both as a couple and individually, to the news that they were expecting their first child. Were the parents' expectations met when Stephen was actually born? How did each of Stephen's parents deal with her "odd" personality, and how did their treatment of Stephen affect their relationship with their only child?
Essay Topic 3
Upon returning home to Paris, Stephen and Mary enjoy an idyllic life together. First, describe the different ways Stephen attempts to spoil Mary when they return to Paris after the war. What effect does Stephen's pampering of Mary have on their relationship? Then, describe the way Stephen's work affects her relationship with Mary. What is Mary's reaction to the realization that Stephen works diligently on her third novel? Upon returning to Paris, what seems to be more important to Stephen, her work or her relationship?
This section contains 1,172 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)