|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the wedding, where do Stephen, Mary, Jamie, and Barbara go on holiday?
2. After Stephen receives her military decoration, what does Mary beg her not to do?
3. During the time Stephen has spent away from Morton, what has she accomplished?
4. What is the name of the woman Mary befriends in Italy?
5. Which of the following best describes Jonathan's friend, Valerie Seymour?
Short Essay Questions
1. What gossip begins to emerge about Stephen and Mary while they are on their first vacation together?
2. How does Adele's wedding affect Stephen emotionally?
3. What type of tour does Brockett give to Stephen once she arrives in Paris, and what is Stephen's reaction to the tour?
4. Why did Madamoiselle Duphot return to Paris after living for many years in England?
5. How does Stephen react when World War I breaks out while she is living in Paris?
6. Why does Martin threaten to leave Paris soon after he meets Stephen there?
7. How does Stephen's work affect her relationship with Mary?
8. How does Mary feel when she learns that Martin is in love with her?
9. What writing advice does Jonathan Brockett give to Stephen upon the release of her second novel?
10. How does Raferty prompt Stephen to return home to Morton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While she was growing up in Morton, Stephen had very different relationships with each of her parents. First, describe how Stephen's parents reacted, both as a couple and individually, to the news that they were expecting their first child. Were the parents' expectations met when Stephen was actually born? How did each of Stephen's parents deal with her "odd" personality, and how did their treatment of Stephen affect their relationship with their only child?
Essay Topic 2
The Morton Property had many different managers. First, describe the time line of managers that took over Morton during the time that Stephen and her family lived there. Then, choose two of the different property managers and describe their management styles. What is the same about their styles? How did each come to managerial power at the Morton Property? What changes did they make while in charge? Finally, describe, in your own opinion, who was the best property manager to lead Morton Property?
Essay Topic 3
When she is a child, Stephen has almost everything she could ever want while living in Morton. First, describe the setting of Morton for a young girl like Stephen to grow up in. What advantages did she have growing up there? How did each of her parents try to create the best life possible for Stephen? Then, explain why, even though her parents tried very hard to please her, Stephen still felt as though something was missing from her life.
This section contains 1,177 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)