|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is most encouraged by the developing relationship between Stephen and Martin?
2. Which of the following best describes Angela's husband?
3. Who replaces Sir Phillip as the strongest supporter of Stephen's education?
4. When Lady Anna catches wind of her daughter's suspected relationship with Angela, were does she confront Stephen?
5. Who is the first person Stephen visits upon returning tto Morton from Cornwall?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Stephen like to spend time with the Antrim children?
2. What is the direct result of Violet Antrim's gossip on Stephen's checkbook?
3. What is Stephen's reaction to the news of her father's death?
4. How does Sir Phillip react when he learns that his wife is expecting their first child?
5. What does Stephen discover when Angela cuts one of their dates in the park short, claiming to have a headache?
6. How does Stephen enjoy her vacation in Cornwall with her mother?
7. What gossip does Violet Antrim bring to Stephen immediately upon her return home from Cornwall?
8. How does Angela react to the emotional letter Stephen sends to her after their broken date in the park?
9. How does Mademoiselle Duphot treat Stephen when she is hired by the family to help care for the girl?
10. What is the neighborhood's reaction to the news that Martin's relationship with Stephen has ended?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After moving to Paris, Stephen and Mary make a very close group of friends who share in their same lifestyle. First, describe three members of the group of friends. What lessons about homosexuality do Mary and Stephen learn from this new group of friends? What does each of the women, both Stephen and Mary, gain from having a group of openly gay friends in Paris? How does the feeling of camaraderie shape Stephen's view of herself and of her relationship with Mary?
Essay Topic 2
Although Stephen struggles to form close bonds with the people in her life, it is a completely different story with the animals in her life. First, describe the relationship Stephen has with the animals in her life and compare that to the relationship she has with people in her life. Then, choose one animal that Stephen forms a close bond with and describe one lesson Stephen learns from this animal. Finally, describe what you think Stephen's upbringing would have been like had she not had the solace of animals to keep her company.
Essay Topic 3
Although Stephen's relationship with her mother is often strained, she is introduced to many other women who offer her affection and support. Choose two of these characters and describe their relationships with Stephen. Where did Stephen meet these women? What types of support did they offer to Stephen? What lessons did Stephen learn from these women at a time in her life when she desperately needed a mother?
This section contains 1,184 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)