|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Around age seventeen, Stephen is introduced to her mother's social scene. What is Lady Anna determined to find for her daughter?
(a) A tutor.
(b) A husband.
(c) An "acceptable" gown.
(d) A job.
2. As Stephen begrudgingly discovers from Violet Antrim, what character is suspected of having romantic relations with Angela?
(a) Williams the old groom.
(b) Martin Hallum.
(c) Colonel Antrim.
(d) Roger Antrim.
3. While Stephen and Lady Anna wait anxiously by Sir Phillip's bedside, what are the effects of the drugs given to Sir Phillip by the doctor?
(a) An allergic reaction violently kills Sir Phillip and horrifies his family.
(b) No effects because Sir Phillip refuses any drugs.
(c) The drugs stablize Sir Phillip's condition giving him time to speak to his family.
(d) The drug effects are too late. Sir Phillip is already dead.
4. As Stephen grows older and expands her athletic and academic interests, how can her relationship with Lady Anna best be illustrated?
(a) An ever-increasing distance and misunderstanding.
(b) An ever-increasing closeness and understanding.
(c) Good friends, but never real love and concern.
(d) Misunderstanding, but real love and concern nonetheless.
5. Who at the Morton residence initially discovers the furiously written letter concerning Angela and Stephen's relationship?
(a) Williams, the old groom.
(b) Miss Puddleton.
(d) Lady Anna.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Stephen's reaction towards Violet's distressing revelation of Angela's love life?
2. In chapter twenty-six, Stephen and Angela spend a wonderful afternoon together, but why is their day suddenly cut short?
3. Where does Stephen witness Angela kissing another lover?
4. Stephen and her father spend hours together in his study. What do they prefer to discuss?
5. What is Angela's last name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Stephen and Martin spend their time together, and what is the reaction from the neighborhood to the budding new friendship?
2. How does Collins feel about Stephen when Stephen is a young child?
3. How does Stephen enjoy her vacation in Cornwall with her mother?
4. After his accident, why doesn't Sir Phillip want to take any medication?
5. Where do Stephen and Angela share their first date?
6. How does Puddle feel about Stephen's tumultuous relationship with Angela?
7. What is Stephen's reaction to the news of her father's death?
8. What relieves the tension in the Morton household around Christmastime when Stephen is eighteen years old?
9. How does Ralph Crossby react after reading Stephen's letter to his wife, Angela?
10. What family history does Angela reveal to Stephen upon returning home to The Grange from her vacation with her husband?
This section contains 1,161 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)