|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Stephen and Mary discover the morning after Barbara's death?
(a) Jamie doubled over, weeping at Barbara's feet.
(b) Jamie has fled the country.
(c) Jamie asleep in Barbara's lifeless arms.
(d) Jamie has commited suicide.
2. How long does Stephen live away from home before being called back to Morton for the first time?
(a) Two years.
(b) One month.
(c) Five years.
(d) One year.
3. After leaving the military, where do Stephen and Mary eventually decide to vacation together?
4. After returning home from vacation, why is Stephen upset at her mother's request to visit her at Morton?
(a) Because Lady Anna has defied Stephen's request to not write her.
(b) Because Lady Anna criticized Stephen's novels.
(c) Because Lady Anna sold Sir Phillip's possessions.
(d) Because Lady Anna failed to invite Mary.
5. What is the likely reason Stephen occasionally travels back to Morton after moving to Paris?
(a) To apologize to Lady Anna.
(b) To give Lady Anna the opportunity to apologize for the pain she has caused.
(c) To keep up appearnaces, for her mother's sake.
(d) To visit her horses?
6. When "The Well of Loneliness" was published in 1928, what reason was given as to why it was banned?
(a) It unfairly depicts the wealthy as intolerant and homophobic.
(b) Any book depicting alcohol as "fun," was banned by Prohibition.
(c) It was believed to be saturated with infidelity, sexual promiscuity, and suicide.
(d) It adresses the issues of homosexuality from the point of a lesbian.
7. Who does Stephen travel to Paris with?
(a) Martin Hallam.
(b) Violet Antrim.
(c) Lady Anna.
(d) Miss Puddleton.
8. What activity do Jamie and Barbara pursue during their party with French African friends from school?
(a) Rythmic dancing.
(b) Singing slave spirituals.
(c) Hide and seek.
(d) Cooking tradtional Creole food.
9. After Stephen publishes her second work, why does Jonathan suggest Stephen travel abroad?
(a) To find a new occupation.
(b) To meet new people and gather experience.
(c) To hide and avoid criticism from the writing community.
(d) To get positive attention from the writing community.
10. After Martin's return into Stephen's life, why does she spend so much time with him?
(a) Because spends lavishly and spoils her.
(b) Because she feels obligated to spend time with him.
(c) Because she enjoys the comfort he brings by accepting her lifestyle.
(d) Because Martin is afraid to venture out in a new city alone.
11. Why is Stephen depressed after the wedding reception?
(a) Because the wedding showed Stephen what she will never experince with Mary.
(b) Because Stephen discovers she has lost astounding amounts of money after financing the wedding.
(c) Because Mary falls mysteriously ill.
(d) Because her mother, Lady Anna, passes away.
12. What is the name of Mademoiselle Duphot's blind sister, whom Stephen and Mary visit after returning from Orotava?
13. After Stephen receives her military decoration, what does Mary beg her not to do?
(a) Commit suicide.
(b) Leave France.
(c) Send her away.
(d) Continue her militray career.
14. Why does Stephen take young women, such as Mary, "under her wing" during military operations?
(a) To train and protect these women.
(b) Because she hopes to find a romantic partner in the young women.
(c) Because she is commanded to do so by her military superiors.
(d) So she can protect herself by making the women drive in the most dangerous conditions.
15. After Stephen publishes her second work, where does Jonathan suggest Stephen travel abroad to?
(d) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the wedding reception, why is Stephen's servant silent after wedding guest's mockery of Stephen?
2. How does Puddle react when Stephen suggests she move back to Morton?
3. After the wedding, where do Stephen, Mary, Jamie, and Barbara go on holiday?
4. One day while walking the Paris streets, Stephen encounters her old Morton tutor Mademoiselle Duphot. Why is Duphot living in Paris?
5. After returning home to Paris from their vacation, what does Stephen purchase in order to show Mary around Paris?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)