|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose French wedding is financed, catered, and housed by Stephen?
(a) Violet Peacock.
(b) The son of Stephen's servent, Klaus.
(c) The daughter of Stephen's servent, Adele.
(d) Jonathan Brockett.
2. At Valerie Seymour's party, what is the name of the alcoholic painter Stephen and Mary are introduced to?
3. After touring places throughout Paris, what is Stephen's reaction to Jonathan's intentions?
(a) She is bored.
(b) She is outraged.
(c) She is overjoyed.
(d) She is embarrased.
4. What is the name of the woman Mary befriends in Italy?
(a) Lady Gregory.
(b) Lady Massey.
(c) Lady Bourgeois.
(d) Lady Cameron.
5. After Martin and Stephen reestablish contact and friendship and spend time together, what does Stephen begin to realize about him?
(a) That he is still bitter about her treatment of him back in London.
(b) That he accepts her true nature and her relationship with Mary.
(c) That he is still in love with her.
(d) That he struggles with his sexuality identity as well.
6. Once in London, Stephen consistently avoids social activities such as parties and going out to restaurants. Which character is concerned for Stephen's mental health?
(a) Lady Anna.
(b) Colonel Antrim.
(c) Miss Puddleton.
(d) Violet Antrim.
7. After the wedding, where do Stephen, Mary, Jamie, and Barbara go on holiday?
(a) Houlgate, France.
(b) Saint Malo, France.
(c) London, England.
(d) Orotava, Spain.
8. What is Stephen's reaction toward Martin Hallam's letter, notifying her of his recent move to Paris and intentions to reignite their friendship?
(a) She cautiously waits to give her response.
(b) She throws the letter away in disgust.
(c) She asks Mary to make the final decision.
(d) She immediately contacts him and makes dinner plans.
9. What do Stephen and Mary discover the morning after Barbara's death?
(a) Jamie has commited suicide.
(b) Jamie has fled the country.
(c) Jamie asleep in Barbara's lifeless arms.
(d) Jamie doubled over, weeping at Barbara's feet.
10. After returning home from a visit to Morton, what is the most reasonable explanation for Stephen's decision to write a third novel?
(a) To finally cut off all contact with her mother, Lady Anna.
(b) To create a better life for her partner, Mary.
(c) To recount her dramatic war memories.
(d) To create a seperation from her needy and dependant partner, Mary.
11. After Stephen publishes her second work, where does Jonathan suggest Stephen travel abroad to?
(a) New York.
12. What economic state do Jamie and Barbara live in?
(a) They are poor and starving.
(b) They are rich and overly generous.
(c) They are poor but stable.
(d) They are rich and stingy.
13. One day while walking the Paris streets, Stephen encounters her old Morton tutor Mademoiselle Duphot. Why is Duphot living in Paris?
(a) She married a man from Paris.
(b) To care for her dying mother.
(c) To care for her blind sister.
(d) To look for a job.
14. After returning home to Paris from their vacation, what does Stephen purchase in order to show Mary around Paris?
(a) A hot air balloon.
(b) An airplane.
(c) Two new cars.
(d) Two new bicycles.
15. During the wedding reception, why is Stephen's servant silent after wedding guest's mockery of Stephen?
(a) Because Stephen finainced virtually the entire wedding.
(b) Because the servant is afraid he will lose his job.
(c) Because Stephen is a decorated war hero and French patriot.
(d) Because Stephen will throw out any guest that offends her.
Short Answer Questions
1. After noticing what Stephen has done with another "lover," what is Mary's reaction?
2. After retuning from Italy, which of the following activities do Stephen and Mary regularly share with their homosexual friends?
3. Whom does Stephen cut off all contact and friendship with, afraid her true relationship with Mary will be discovered and criticized?
4. Who visits Stephen and Mary at their home on Christmas Eve, suggesting they pay a visit to Valerie Seymour?
5. How does Puddle react when Stephen suggests she move back to Morton?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)