|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After her banishment from Morton, Stephen purchases a small flat in London with whom?
(a) Jonathan Brockett.
(b) Violet Antrim.
(c) Angela Crossby.
(d) Miss Puddleton.
2. What activity do Jamie and Barbara pursue during their party with French African friends from school?
(a) Cooking tradtional Creole food.
(b) Hide and seek.
(c) Singing slave spirituals.
(d) Rythmic dancing.
3. What is Jonathan Brockett's occupation?
(c) School teacher.
(d) Horse breeder.
4. Why is Stephen depressed after the wedding reception?
(a) Because her mother, Lady Anna, passes away.
(b) Because Stephen discovers she has lost astounding amounts of money after financing the wedding.
(c) Because the wedding showed Stephen what she will never experince with Mary.
(d) Because Mary falls mysteriously ill.
5. After Stephen publishes her second work, where does Jonathan suggest Stephen travel abroad to?
(b) New York.
6. What is Stephen's rationalization behind her fake-lover stunt?
(a) She wants Mary to become jealous, reigniting the passion in their relationship.
(b) She is vengeful of Mary and Martin's feelings with one another.
(c) She has fallen in love with someone else and wants to leave Mary.
(d) She hopes Mary will leave her for Martin.
7. After Martin's return into Stephen's life, why does she spend so much time with him?
(a) Because she enjoys the comfort he brings by accepting her lifestyle.
(b) Because she feels obligated to spend time with him.
(c) Because Martin is afraid to venture out in a new city alone.
(d) Because spends lavishly and spoils her.
8. What written request does Stephen leave for Lady Anna before her travels abroad with Jonathan?
(a) To not write her while away, she will not respond.
(b) To accept her fully for what she is.
(c) To relieve Miss Puddleton of her position at Morton.
(d) To sell her apartment in London.
9. What economic state do Jamie and Barbara live in?
(a) They are rich and stingy.
(b) They are poor but stable.
(c) They are poor and starving.
(d) They are rich and overly generous.
10. After Martin's arrival to Paris, why do Stephen and Mary experience increasing tension in their relationship?
(a) Stephen is bitter that Mary has chosen Martin over her.
(b) Stephen and Mary experience no significant tension.
(c) Mary has growing feelings toward Martin and struggles with her ideas of staying with Stephen.
(d) Mary is bitter at Stephen for forbidding her to see Martin.
11. After returning home to Paris from their vacation, what does Stephen purchase in order to show Mary around Paris?
(a) A hot air balloon.
(b) Two new cars.
(c) An airplane.
(d) Two new bicycles.
12. On one of Stephen's occasional visits to Morton, what important news does she learn?
(a) That Lady Anna is dying of cancer.
(b) That Williams, the old groom now works for the Antrims.
(c) That Raftery has grown sick and lame.
(d) That the Crossbys have moved back to America.
13. Upon arrival back to Paris from vacation, what is Barbara's diagnosis?
(a) Highly developed lung cancer.
(b) Pancretitis and a weak liver.
(c) A brain infection.
(d) Double pneumonia and a weak heart.
14. What division of the French Army Ambulance Corps does Stephen join for her military service?
(a) Blitzkrieg Unit.
(b) Bravado Unit.
(c) Breakspeare Unit.
(d) Beta Unit.
15. In chapter fifty-five and fifty-six, who does Stephen pretend to be lovers with?
(a) Valerie Seymour.
(b) Lady Massey.
(c) Jonathan Brockett.
(d) The alcholic painter, Wanda.
Short Answer Questions
1. When "The Well of Loneliness" was published in 1928, what reason was given as to why it was banned?
2. Whose French wedding is financed, catered, and housed by Stephen?
3. When showing Stephen around Paris, what does Jonathan primarily focus on revealing to her?
4. After touring places throughout Paris, what is Stephen's reaction to Jonathan's intentions?
5. After Stephen publishes her second work, why does Jonathan suggest Stephen travel abroad?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)