|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does Stephen live away from home before being called back to Morton for the first time?
(a) One month.
(b) One year.
(c) Two years.
(d) Five years.
2. What written request does Stephen leave for Lady Anna before her travels abroad with Jonathan?
(a) To relieve Miss Puddleton of her position at Morton.
(b) To sell her apartment in London.
(c) To accept her fully for what she is.
(d) To not write her while away, she will not respond.
3. Judging from Mary's behavior on and off the battlefield, what characteristic traits do Mary seem to exhibit?
(a) Innocent and naive, yet stubborn.
(b) Manipulative and dishonest.
(c) Dominative and unempathetic.
(d) Technically savy, brave, and determined.
4. At Valerie Seymour's party, what is the name of the alcoholic painter Stephen and Mary are introduced to?
5. Why is Stephen depressed after the wedding reception?
(a) Because Mary falls mysteriously ill.
(b) Because Stephen discovers she has lost astounding amounts of money after financing the wedding.
(c) Because the wedding showed Stephen what she will never experince with Mary.
(d) Because her mother, Lady Anna, passes away.
6. After Stephen publishes her second work, why does Jonathan suggest Stephen travel abroad?
(a) To find a new occupation.
(b) To hide and avoid criticism from the writing community.
(c) To get positive attention from the writing community.
(d) To meet new people and gather experience.
7. After being injured in battle, what French military honor is bestowed upon Stephen for her courage?
(a) Croix du combattant.
(b) Croix de la Valeur Militaire.
(c) Croix de Guerre.
(d) Médaille des évadés.
8. One day while walking the Paris streets, Stephen encounters her old Morton tutor Mademoiselle Duphot. Why is Duphot living in Paris?
(a) To care for her blind sister.
(b) She married a man from Paris.
(c) To look for a job.
(d) To care for her dying mother.
9. After returning home from a visit to Morton, what is the most reasonable explanation for Stephen's decision to write a third novel?
(a) To create a seperation from her needy and dependant partner, Mary.
(b) To create a better life for her partner, Mary.
(c) To finally cut off all contact with her mother, Lady Anna.
(d) To recount her dramatic war memories.
10. How does Stephen react after she discovers Martin's feelings towards Mary and his subsequent plan?
(a) She falls into a deep depression.
(b) She promises they will work something out.
(c) She refuses to speak to Martin again.
(d) She becomes enraged, forbidding Mary to have any contact with Martin.
11. While Stephen takes in the sights and cultures of Paris life, she begins fencing again. What is the name of her instructor?
12. After Martin's arrival to Paris, why do Stephen and Mary experience increasing tension in their relationship?
(a) Mary is bitter at Stephen for forbidding her to see Martin.
(b) Stephen is bitter that Mary has chosen Martin over her.
(c) Mary has growing feelings toward Martin and struggles with her ideas of staying with Stephen.
(d) Stephen and Mary experience no significant tension.
13. What is Jonathan Brockett's occupation?
(b) School teacher.
(d) Horse breeder.
14. On which holiday does Stephen celebrate her twenty-seventh birthday?
(a) Christmas Eve.
(b) New Years Day.
(c) New Years Eve.
(d) Christmas Day.
15. In an attempt to relieve Barbara's condition, what does Stephen offer to Jamie and Barbara, only to be refused?
(b) Money to pay for Barbara's medical bills.
(c) Money to pay for Jamie and Barbara's dream car.
(d) Two bottles of whiskey and a bag of tobacco.
Short Answer Questions
1. When war breaks throughout Europe, what military position does an energetic and patriotic Stephen join?
2. What would accurately describe Stephen's response toward Mary's confessions of love and attraction?
3. After retuning from Italy, which of the following activities do Stephen and Mary regularly share with their homosexual friends?
4. When showing Stephen around Paris, what does Jonathan primarily focus on revealing to her?
5. How is Stephen's published third novel received by critics and the public?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)