Short Essay Questions
1. Describe in your own words the scene at the very beginning of Section 1, and offer an idea of why Woolf would begin this novel in such a way.
2. Why does Woolf use a line or two of monologue rather than dialogue to introduce the children in Section 1?
3. Why is Susan so distressed after she saw Jinny kiss Louis?
4. What is significant about displaying the children in school in the novel's first section?
5. Describe how each character is presented in Section 1.
6. When the characters change locations in the text, it is not always noticeable. Identify why this is and the effect on the reader.
7. What is the significance of having each character introduce themselves by identifying a specific image in Section 1?
8. Overall, what should the reader take away as most significant from Section 1?
9. Describe how Section 2 is structured.
10. Describe the boys' experiences in chapel while at school in Section 2.
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)