1. What does the italicized prose at the beginning of the first section describe?
(a) The moon rising in the sky.
(b) The clouds covering the sun.
(c) The sun at midday.
(d) A day yet to begin.
2. How does Wolfe describe the birds' song at the beginning of the first section?
(a) "Like the chiming of bells."
(b) "Barely audible."
(c) "A blank melody outside."
(d) "A disruptive cacophony."
3. What are the children doing as the novel begins?
(a) Going to bed.
(b) Saying grace before dinner.
(c) Waking up.
(d) Playing in the garden.
4. Who is the first character to speak?
5. What does Bernard describe during his first line of monologue?
(a) An elephant.
(b) Fruity smells.
(c) A globe.
(d) A spider's web.
6. Who hears "something stamping"?
7. Who kissed Louis in the garden?
8. Who witnessed the kiss in the garden through a chink in the hedge in Section 1?
This section contains 3,899 words
(approx. 13 pages at 300 words per page)