1. What does the italicized prose at the beginning of the first section describe?
(a) The moon rising in the sky.
(b) The sun at midday.
(c) A day yet to begin.
(d) The clouds covering the sun.
2. How does Wolfe describe the birds' song at the beginning of the first section?
(a) "A blank melody outside."
(b) "A disruptive cacophony."
(c) "Like the chiming of bells."
(d) "Barely audible."
3. What are the children doing as the novel begins?
(a) Saying grace before dinner.
(b) Playing in the garden.
(c) Going to bed.
(d) Waking up.
4. Who is the first character to speak?
5. What does Bernard describe during his first line of monologue?
(a) Fruity smells.
(b) An elephant.
(c) A globe.
(d) A spider's web.
6. Who hears "something stamping"?
7. Who kissed Louis in the garden?
8. Who witnessed the kiss in the garden through a chink in the hedge in Section 1?
This section contains 3,899 words
(approx. 13 pages at 300 words per page)