|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing Eddie sees in Chapter 17 as Walter's jawbone burns in the fire?
2. What does Susannah call the men who once tortured her as discussed in Chapter 1?
3. How does Susannah travel with Eddie and Roland in Chapter 7?
4. Why is Jake reluctant to leave the rose in Chapter 18?
5. Who are the Old People?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jake leave his family's home? What of his father's does he take?
2. Who does Jake meet in Chapter 20? To where does Jake follow this character?
3. What does Eddie immediately notice is wrong with the bear?
4. What is cruel about the way Roland inspires Susannah to learn to shoot properly?
5. What is the relationship between Roland, Susannah, and Eddie?
6. What is the contrast between The Piper School and Jake's mental difficulties?
7. Where does Roland tell Susannah to shoot the bear?
8. What makes Jake stop in a bookstore in Chapter 13? What does he buy there?
9. How many things happen to Jake in Chapters 16-23 that also happened in Roland's world?
10. What are Eddie's options when he hears the bear crashing down trees and headed in his direction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This novel is one in a series of novels about Roland and his ka-tet. Discuss in an essay how this novel might fit in with the other novels. Discuss back story presented at the beginning of the novel that helps the reader understand what happened in a previous novel. Discuss the cliffhanger ending of the book that leaves room for the next novel's plot. Discuss as well how this novel stands on its own, without the reader having prior knowledge of the novels that come before or after. Could a reader read this book out of order and still understand the point of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of these themes in detail, using examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
Essay Topic 3
Who is Jake? What school does he go to? Why does Jake think he is going crazy? What does Jake write in the final days of school that he thinks is an example of his insanity? What does his teacher think of it? What does Jake take from his father's desk before he leaves home for good? Where does Jake go? For what reason? How does Jake cross over into Roland's world? Who helps him? For what reason?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)