|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two pictures has Jake pasted to the front of his Final Essay as revealed in Chapter 2?
2. What is written on the stone marker Jake sees in a dream in Chapter 3?
3. What is The Mansion?
4. Who is Mir?
5. What game are Eddie and Henry playing in Chapter 22?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Roland, Susannah, and Eddie find as they trace the path of the bear?
2. How many things happen to Jake in Chapters 16-23 that also happened in Roland's world?
3. What surprises Jake about the grade he receives on his Final Essay in English?
4. How does finding the bear help Roland find a way to find the Dark Tower?
5. What fear haunts Eddie all through Chapters 7-15?
6. What road do Roland, Susannah, and Eddie find in Chapter 7? Where do they believe it will lead them?
7. What is important about the jawbone Roland has carried with him since his meeting with Jake?
8. Who does Jake meet in Chapter 20? To where does Jake follow this character?
9. Who is Odetta Walker? Why does Susannah call her out in Chapter 23?
10. What happens to the Mansion as Jake attempts to enter Roland's world in Chapter 33?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This novel is one in a series of novels about Roland and his ka-tet. Discuss in an essay how this novel might fit in with the other novels. Discuss back story presented at the beginning of the novel that helps the reader understand what happened in a previous novel. Discuss the cliffhanger ending of the book that leaves room for the next novel's plot. Discuss as well how this novel stands on its own, without the reader having prior knowledge of the novels that come before or after. Could a reader read this book out of order and still understand the point of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss gunslingers. What is a gunslinger? What is Roland's role as a gunslinger? How is Roland's role different from the traditional idea of a gunslinger? How is it similar? Why do you suppose the author chose to make Roland a gunslinger? What does this say about Roland's adventures? How is Roland treated by the people he comes into contact with? What does this say about the role of gunslinger in Roland's world?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Eddie? Why has Eddie not carved in wood for many years? What made him stop? What made him start again? Why is Eddie ashamed of his talents? What important item does Eddie carve upon Jake's arrival in Roland's world? Does this item work? What does this say about Eddie's talents? Does Eddie miss his hometown? For what reason? What is Eddie's relationship with his brother like? How has impacted his life?
This section contains 1,046 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)