|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Roland build a fire in Chapter 17?
2. How does Susannah travel with Eddie and Roland in Chapter 7?
3. What rhythmic sound does Roland and his friends hear as they continue down the Great Road in Chapter 19?
4. What famous animal does Eddie compare Mir to when he first sees it in Chapter 5?
5. Why does Roland call Susannah Odetta in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Eddie immediately notice is wrong with the bear?
2. What is important about the jawbone Roland has carried with him since his meeting with Jake?
3. What is the relationship between Roland, Susannah, and Eddie?
4. Why does Jake believe he might be going insane?
5. In a dream, Eddie walks to what location in New York City? What does he see there?
6. What is cruel about the way Roland inspires Susannah to learn to shoot properly?
7. What fear haunts Eddie all through Chapters 7-15?
8. What advice does Jake give someone to quiet the voices in his head? How does Jake do this?
9. What makes Jake stop in a bookstore in Chapter 13? What does he buy there?
10. Where does Roland tell Susannah to shoot the bear?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Jake? What school does he go to? Why does Jake think he is going crazy? What does Jake write in the final days of school that he thinks is an example of his insanity? What does his teacher think of it? What does Jake take from his father's desk before he leaves home for good? Where does Jake go? For what reason? How does Jake cross over into Roland's world? Who helps him? For what reason?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Eddie carve a key out of wood? What is the purpose of this key? Does Eddie understand the importance of the key when he first begins carving it? How does this key compare to the one Jake has in his world? What does the key do for Jake when he holds it? Does this work for Roland? Why or why not? What does this key open? Does it work the first time Eddie uses it? What happens? What might have happened if Eddie had not carved the key?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss gunslingers. What is a gunslinger? What is Roland's role as a gunslinger? How is Roland's role different from the traditional idea of a gunslinger? How is it similar? Why do you suppose the author chose to make Roland a gunslinger? What does this say about Roland's adventures? How is Roland treated by the people he comes into contact with? What does this say about the role of gunslinger in Roland's world?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)