|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Roland hope to find at the Great Portal as he tells Eddie and Susannah in Chapter 12?
2. Who is first to hear the approaching bear as described in Chapter 5?
3. Who is Mir?
4. What did Hax tell Roland was the last act of the Great Old Ones?
5. What did Henry steal from the girl Maryanne in Chapter 21?
Short Essay Questions
1. How many things happen to Jake in Chapters 16-23 that also happened in Roland's world?
2. What does Blaine demand of Eddie and Susannah in Chapter 30 before he will agree to transport Roland and the ka-tet?
3. What does Blaine tell Roland and his ka-tet is the reason he has decided to end his existence?
4. How does the demon help Jake enter Roland's world in Chapter 41?
5. Who is Gasher? What does he want?
6. Why does Jake believe he might be going insane?
7. What do Eddie and Susannah learn about Blaine in Chapter 27?
8. Why did Eddie once stop carving objects out of wood?
9. What is important about the jawbone Roland has carried with him since his meeting with Jake?
10. What wakes Jake four days after he comes to Roland's world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is ka-tet? Who is a part of this ka-tet? Can each member of the ka-tet read one another's thoughts as Roland suggests they should? What is a palaver? Why does Roland insist that he and his friends participate in this tradition? What does it do to help the group? What does Roland learn during one of these palavers? What do the others learn about Roland during the palaver? Why does Roland refuse to talk about his past? Is Roland being hypocritical by refusing to talk about his own past while encouraging the others to talk about theirs?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of these themes in detail, using examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
Essay Topic 3
Who is Roland? Why is he teaching Susannah to shoot a gun? Is Roland cruel when he makes Susannah think of her past to make her angry enough to shoot straight? Why can Roland not shoot a gun? What happened to Roland? When? What is Roland's mission? Where is he going? For what reason? What will happen when he get there? How does he plan to get there?
This section contains 2,249 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)