Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sound draws Susannah and Roland away from shooting practice in Chapter 1?
2. What does Eddie show Roland that he has been carving in Chapter 1?
3. How much older than he is Eddie's brother?
4. What does Roland say in Chapter 14 he learned from Jake when he hypnotized him?
5. What does Susannah think the speaking ring looks like in Chapter 23?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does finding the bear help Roland find a way to find the Dark Tower?
2. What happens to the Mansion as Jake attempts to enter Roland's world in Chapter 33?
3. Why did Eddie once stop carving objects out of wood?
4. What causes Jake to become obsessed with doors?
5. What does Roland believe the bear's purpose was?
6. What does Jake believe Blaine, whom he has constantly seen as a danger, plans to do in Chapter 8?
7. How many things happen to Jake in Chapters 16-23 that also happened in Roland's world?
8. What do Bill and Till tell Roland and his ka-tet about the large city of Lud?
9. What advice does Jake give someone to quiet the voices in his head? How does Jake do this?
10. What do Eddie and Susannah learn about Blaine in Chapter 27?
Essay Topic 1
This novel is one in a series of novels about Roland and his ka-tet. Discuss in an essay how this novel might fit in with the other novels. Discuss back story presented at the beginning of the novel that helps the reader understand what happened in a previous novel. Discuss the cliffhanger ending of the book that leaves room for the next novel's plot. Discuss as well how this novel stands on its own, without the reader having prior knowledge of the novels that come before or after. Could a reader read this book out of order and still understand the point of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Roland? Why is he teaching Susannah to shoot a gun? Is Roland cruel when he makes Susannah think of her past to make her angry enough to shoot straight? Why can Roland not shoot a gun? What happened to Roland? When? What is Roland's mission? Where is he going? For what reason? What will happen when he get there? How does he plan to get there?
Essay Topic 3
What is ka-tet? Who is a part of this ka-tet? Can each member of the ka-tet read one another's thoughts as Roland suggests they should? What is a palaver? Why does Roland insist that he and his friends participate in this tradition? What does it do to help the group? What does Roland learn during one of these palavers? What do the others learn about Roland during the palaver? Why does Roland refuse to talk about his past? Is Roland being hypocritical by refusing to talk about his own past while encouraging the others to talk about theirs?
This section contains 2,264 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)