|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eddie often see in a piece of wood?
2. What significant event happened to or will happen to Jake on May 9th as stated in Chapter 1?
3. What is unusual about Mir's head?
4. What does the boy in Chapter 3 warn Jake not to do?
5. What does Jake realize in Chapter 4 is the answer to Aaron Deepneau's riddle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice does Jake give someone to quiet the voices in his head? How does Jake do this?
2. What does Roland believe the bear's purpose was?
3. What terrible tragedy took place in Eddie's family that caused his mother to encourage Henry to be Eddie's constant guardian?
4. What surprises Jake about the grade he receives on his Final Essay in English?
5. Roland is distracted in the first chapter. What does he tell Susannah is causing this distraction?
6. What do Roland, Susannah, and Eddie find as they trace the path of the bear?
7. What happens to the Mansion as Jake attempts to enter Roland's world in Chapter 33?
8. What makes Jake stop in a bookstore in Chapter 13? What does he buy there?
9. Who does Roland talk of when he collapses after the death of the bear?
10. Why does Jake believe he might be going insane?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of one of the following style tools in the novel in detail, using examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
Essay Topic 2
Who leads Jake to the Mansion? How did Jake know to follow this person? What happens to Jake once he goes inside the Mansion? How does Jake lose the key? How does he get it back? What tries to stop Jake from crossing into Roland's world? Why? Who helps Jake survive his ordeal? Why does Jake want to go to Roland's world? What would have happened to him if he had not? What happens to Jake's family? Does Jake worry about this? What does the future hold for Jake?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Eddie? Why has Eddie not carved in wood for many years? What made him stop? What made him start again? Why is Eddie ashamed of his talents? What important item does Eddie carve upon Jake's arrival in Roland's world? Does this item work? What does this say about Eddie's talents? Does Eddie miss his hometown? For what reason? What is Eddie's relationship with his brother like? How has impacted his life?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)