|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What comes out of the bear's nose each time it sneezes in Chapter 2?
2. Who was Gloria?
3. Who is the first person Susannah thinks of in Chapter 1 as she listens to the falling trees?
4. What game are Eddie and Henry playing in Chapter 22?
5. What does Roland say in Chapter 14 he learned from Jake when he hypnotized him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship between Roland, Susannah, and Eddie?
2. What is cruel about the way Roland inspires Susannah to learn to shoot properly?
3. How does finding the bear help Roland find a way to find the Dark Tower?
4. What makes Jake stop in a bookstore in Chapter 13? What does he buy there?
5. What do Roland, Susannah, and Eddie find as they trace the path of the bear?
6. How many things happen to Jake in Chapters 16-23 that also happened in Roland's world?
7. What terrible tragedy took place in Eddie's family that caused his mother to encourage Henry to be Eddie's constant guardian?
8. What does Roland believe the bear's purpose was?
9. Who is Odetta Walker? Why does Susannah call her out in Chapter 23?
10. What causes Jake to become obsessed with doors?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Roland? Why is he teaching Susannah to shoot a gun? Is Roland cruel when he makes Susannah think of her past to make her angry enough to shoot straight? Why can Roland not shoot a gun? What happened to Roland? When? What is Roland's mission? Where is he going? For what reason? What will happen when he get there? How does he plan to get there?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss gunslingers. What is a gunslinger? What is Roland's role as a gunslinger? How is Roland's role different from the traditional idea of a gunslinger? How is it similar? Why do you suppose the author chose to make Roland a gunslinger? What does this say about Roland's adventures? How is Roland treated by the people he comes into contact with? What does this say about the role of gunslinger in Roland's world?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Roland suffer from dual memories? What does this mean? What is the difference between Roland's two sets of memory? Who else suffers from dual memories? What does this say about this character's relationship with Roland? Which reality is true? Why are there more than one reality? Does the author ever fully explain these dual memories? What effect do these memories on the two characters who experience them? How do they learn to cope?
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)