|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book is Aaron Deepneau reading in Chapters 12-15?
2. What famous animal does Eddie compare Mir to when he first sees it in Chapter 5?
3. How much older than he is Eddie's brother?
4. Why is Jake reluctant to leave the rose in Chapter 18?
5. For what company does Bob work in the story of Charlie the Choo-Choo as revealed in Chapter 22?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Jake to become obsessed with doors?
2. Why does Jake believe he might be going insane?
3. What road do Roland, Susannah, and Eddie find in Chapter 7? Where do they believe it will lead them?
4. Why did Eddie once stop carving objects out of wood?
5. What do Roland, Susannah, and Eddie find as they trace the path of the bear?
6. Who does Jake meet in his dreams in Chapter 3?
7. What impression does Jake get from the empty lot where Tom and Gerry's Artistic Deli once stood?
8. What advice does Jake give someone to quiet the voices in his head? How does Jake do this?
9. What is important about the jawbone Roland has carried with him since his meeting with Jake?
10. How does the demon help Jake enter Roland's world in Chapter 41?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This novel is one in a series of novels about Roland and his ka-tet. Discuss in an essay how this novel might fit in with the other novels. Discuss back story presented at the beginning of the novel that helps the reader understand what happened in a previous novel. Discuss the cliffhanger ending of the book that leaves room for the next novel's plot. Discuss as well how this novel stands on its own, without the reader having prior knowledge of the novels that come before or after. Could a reader read this book out of order and still understand the point of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Roland's world to the New York of Jake's time. Compare and contrast the New York of Eddie's time with the New York of Jake's time. What differences are there? How are they similar? Why do you think the author chose to make New York City the home of Jake, Eddie, and Susannah? How different is that city to each of the three characters? Do you think the setting of New York City will be important to the developing plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss gunslingers. What is a gunslinger? What is Roland's role as a gunslinger? How is Roland's role different from the traditional idea of a gunslinger? How is it similar? Why do you suppose the author chose to make Roland a gunslinger? What does this say about Roland's adventures? How is Roland treated by the people he comes into contact with? What does this say about the role of gunslinger in Roland's world?
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)