|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sound draws Susannah and Roland away from shooting practice in Chapter 1?
2. What does Eddie show Roland that he has been carving in Chapter 1?
3. How much older than he is Eddie's brother?
4. What does Roland say in Chapter 14 he learned from Jake when he hypnotized him?
5. What does Susannah think the speaking ring looks like in Chapter 23?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does finding the bear help Roland find a way to find the Dark Tower?
2. What happens to the Mansion as Jake attempts to enter Roland's world in Chapter 33?
3. Why did Eddie once stop carving objects out of wood?
4. What causes Jake to become obsessed with doors?
5. What does Roland believe the bear's purpose was?
6. What does Jake believe Blaine, whom he has constantly seen as a danger, plans to do in Chapter 8?
7. How many things happen to Jake in Chapters 16-23 that also happened in Roland's world?
8. What do Bill and Till tell Roland and his ka-tet about the large city of Lud?
9. What advice does Jake give someone to quiet the voices in his head? How does Jake do this?
10. What do Eddie and Susannah learn about Blaine in Chapter 27?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following in detail citing examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) Point of view
2) Structure of the novel
3) Language--mention the use of metaphor and simile, as well as specific language
Essay Topic 2
Why does Eddie carve a key out of wood? What is the purpose of this key? Does Eddie understand the importance of the key when he first begins carving it? How does this key compare to the one Jake has in his world? What does the key do for Jake when he holds it? Does this work for Roland? Why or why not? What does this key open? Does it work the first time Eddie uses it? What happens? What might have happened if Eddie had not carved the key?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss gunslingers. What is a gunslinger? What is Roland's role as a gunslinger? How is Roland's role different from the traditional idea of a gunslinger? How is it similar? Why do you suppose the author chose to make Roland a gunslinger? What does this say about Roland's adventures? How is Roland treated by the people he comes into contact with? What does this say about the role of gunslinger in Roland's world?
This section contains 2,264 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)