|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What other memory does Roland talk of having about Jake in Chapter 13?
2. What is the Drawers according to Roland?
3. Why does Jake follow the two boys in Chapter 22, Henry and Eddie?
4. What rhythmic sound does Roland and his friends hear as they continue down the Great Road in Chapter 19?
5. What is ka?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Jake meet in his dreams in Chapter 3?
2. What noise causes Susannah and Roland to rush back to their camp?
3. Who does Jake meet in Chapter 20? To where does Jake follow this character?
4. What are Eddie's options when he hears the bear crashing down trees and headed in his direction?
5. Where does Roland tell Susannah to shoot the bear?
6. What do Roland, Susannah, and Eddie find as they trace the path of the bear?
7. What makes Jake stop in a bookstore in Chapter 13? What does he buy there?
8. What advice does Jake give someone to quiet the voices in his head? How does Jake do this?
9. What is important about the jawbone Roland has carried with him since his meeting with Jake?
10. What does Eddie immediately notice is wrong with the bear?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the Beams? How are they going to lead Roland and his friends to the Dark Tower? What is the Dark Tower? What will happen when Roland and his friends reach the Dark Tower? How is Jake following the Beams while still in his own world? Does he know he is following the Beams? How does Roland know about the Beams? Where did Roland learn much of what he knows about the Dark Tower? Why will Roland not share his past with his friends? Is Roland trying to hide something? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
This novel is one in a series of novels about Roland and his ka-tet. Discuss in an essay how this novel might fit in with the other novels. Discuss back story presented at the beginning of the novel that helps the reader understand what happened in a previous novel. Discuss the cliffhanger ending of the book that leaves room for the next novel's plot. Discuss as well how this novel stands on its own, without the reader having prior knowledge of the novels that come before or after. Could a reader read this book out of order and still understand the point of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following in detail citing examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) Point of view
2) Structure of the novel
3) Language--mention the use of metaphor and simile, as well as specific language
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)