|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what company does Bob work in the story of Charlie the Choo-Choo as revealed in Chapter 22?
2. In her shooting lessons in Chapter 1, what has Susannah forgotten if she aims with her hand?
3. What does the boy in Chapter 3 warn Jake not to do?
4. What did Henry steal from the girl Maryanne in Chapter 21?
5. What does a billy-bumbler look like as described in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Roland, Susannah, and Eddie find as they trace the path of the bear?
2. What does Roland believe the bear's purpose was?
3. Who is Odetta Walker? Why does Susannah call her out in Chapter 23?
4. Where did Roland first meet Jake? How?
5. What terrible tragedy took place in Eddie's family that caused his mother to encourage Henry to be Eddie's constant guardian?
6. How many things happen to Jake in Chapters 16-23 that also happened in Roland's world?
7. Roland is distracted in the first chapter. What does he tell Susannah is causing this distraction?
8. What is the contrast between The Piper School and Jake's mental difficulties?
9. What surprises Jake about the grade he receives on his Final Essay in English?
10. What advice does Jake give someone to quiet the voices in his head? How does Jake do this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the Beams? How are they going to lead Roland and his friends to the Dark Tower? What is the Dark Tower? What will happen when Roland and his friends reach the Dark Tower? How is Jake following the Beams while still in his own world? Does he know he is following the Beams? How does Roland know about the Beams? Where did Roland learn much of what he knows about the Dark Tower? Why will Roland not share his past with his friends? Is Roland trying to hide something? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Eddie carve a key out of wood? What is the purpose of this key? Does Eddie understand the importance of the key when he first begins carving it? How does this key compare to the one Jake has in his world? What does the key do for Jake when he holds it? Does this work for Roland? Why or why not? What does this key open? Does it work the first time Eddie uses it? What happens? What might have happened if Eddie had not carved the key?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following items and what they symbolize in the overall plot of the novel:
3) Book of Riddles
4) Charlie the Choo-choo
5) The gun of Jake's father
6) Roland's gun and gunbelt.
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)