|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What famous animal does Eddie compare Mir to when he first sees it in Chapter 5?
2. What does Eddie show Roland that he has been carving in Chapter 1?
3. What did Henry steal from the girl Maryanne in Chapter 21?
4. For what company does Bob work in the story of Charlie the Choo-Choo as revealed in Chapter 22?
5. What game are Eddie and Henry playing in Chapter 22?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the demon help Jake enter Roland's world in Chapter 41?
2. Where does Roland tell Susannah to shoot the bear?
3. What is the relationship between Roland, Susannah, and Eddie?
4. Who does Jake meet in his dreams in Chapter 3?
5. What does Eddie immediately notice is wrong with the bear?
6. What road do Roland, Susannah, and Eddie find in Chapter 7? Where do they believe it will lead them?
7. What advice does Jake give someone to quiet the voices in his head? How does Jake do this?
8. What do Roland, Susannah, and Eddie find as they trace the path of the bear?
9. Why does Jake leave his family's home? What of his father's does he take?
10. What fear haunts Eddie all through Chapters 7-15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who leads Jake to the Mansion? How did Jake know to follow this person? What happens to Jake once he goes inside the Mansion? How does Jake lose the key? How does he get it back? What tries to stop Jake from crossing into Roland's world? Why? Who helps Jake survive his ordeal? Why does Jake want to go to Roland's world? What would have happened to him if he had not? What happens to Jake's family? Does Jake worry about this? What does the future hold for Jake?
Essay Topic 2
What is Blaine? What do Roland and his friends know about him? What more do they learn when they meet him? What does Blaine control? How did this come to be? Who wants to take over? Why does Blaine want to commit suicide? How does he plan to do this? How does Roland convince him to do something else? How does Blaine compare to Charlie and the Choo-Choo? What does that say about the book Jake bought in New York City? What about the book of riddles? How do riddles figure in the plot of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Roland's world to the New York of Jake's time. Compare and contrast the New York of Eddie's time with the New York of Jake's time. What differences are there? How are they similar? Why do you think the author chose to make New York City the home of Jake, Eddie, and Susannah? How different is that city to each of the three characters? Do you think the setting of New York City will be important to the developing plot? Explain.
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)