|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What marks does Jake find on his body in Chapter 4 that he believes happened in his dream?
2. What is The Mansion?
3. Who is the boy in Jake's dream who tells him he is there to guide him?
4. What is the Drawers according to Roland?
5. Who are the Old People?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the most striking differences between the city of Lud and the underground bunker?
2. What does Roland believe the bear's purpose was?
3. What surprises Jake about the grade he receives on his Final Essay in English?
4. Why do Roland, Jake, Susannah, and Eddie suddenly find the book Charlie and the Choo-Choo so sinister in Chapters 23-24?
5. How many things happen to Jake in Chapters 16-23 that also happened in Roland's world?
6. Who does Roland talk of when he collapses after the death of the bear?
7. What does Jake dream in chapter 16? What impression is he left with afterward?
8. What are Eddie's options when he hears the bear crashing down trees and headed in his direction?
9. What surprising things does Roland learn about Oy in Chapter 29?
10. Where did Roland first meet Jake? How?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss gunslingers. What is a gunslinger? What is Roland's role as a gunslinger? How is Roland's role different from the traditional idea of a gunslinger? How is it similar? Why do you suppose the author chose to make Roland a gunslinger? What does this say about Roland's adventures? How is Roland treated by the people he comes into contact with? What does this say about the role of gunslinger in Roland's world?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Roland suffer from dual memories? What does this mean? What is the difference between Roland's two sets of memory? Who else suffers from dual memories? What does this say about this character's relationship with Roland? Which reality is true? Why are there more than one reality? Does the author ever fully explain these dual memories? What effect do these memories on the two characters who experience them? How do they learn to cope?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of one of the following style tools in the novel in detail, using examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
This section contains 2,243 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)