|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is ka?
2. What does Eddie show Roland that he has been carving in Chapter 1?
3. Who does Roland say the Great Old Ones were in Chapter 12?
4. How long does Jake believe, in Chapter 5, he will be gone?
5. What shape does Eddie draw in the dirt in Chapter 17?
Short Essay Questions
1. Roland is distracted in the first chapter. What does he tell Susannah is causing this distraction?
2. What does Eddie immediately notice is wrong with the bear?
3. What causes Jake to become obsessed with doors?
4. What terrible tragedy took place in Eddie's family that caused his mother to encourage Henry to be Eddie's constant guardian?
5. Who does Jake meet in his dreams in Chapter 3?
6. What is important about the jawbone Roland has carried with him since his meeting with Jake?
7. Where does Roland tell Susannah to shoot the bear?
8. What advice does Jake give someone to quiet the voices in his head? How does Jake do this?
9. What makes Jake stop in a bookstore in Chapter 13? What does he buy there?
10. What is the relationship between Roland, Susannah, and Eddie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following relationships in detail:
1) Roland and Susannah
2) Roland and Eddie
3) Roland and Jake
4) Susannah and Eddie
5) Eddie and Henry.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss gunslingers. What is a gunslinger? What is Roland's role as a gunslinger? How is Roland's role different from the traditional idea of a gunslinger? How is it similar? Why do you suppose the author chose to make Roland a gunslinger? What does this say about Roland's adventures? How is Roland treated by the people he comes into contact with? What does this say about the role of gunslinger in Roland's world?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Roland's world to the New York of Jake's time. Compare and contrast the New York of Eddie's time with the New York of Jake's time. What differences are there? How are they similar? Why do you think the author chose to make New York City the home of Jake, Eddie, and Susannah? How different is that city to each of the three characters? Do you think the setting of New York City will be important to the developing plot? Explain.
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)