Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sound draws Susannah and Roland away from shooting practice in Chapter 1?
2. What does Eddie show Roland that he has been carving in Chapter 1?
3. How much older than he is Eddie's brother?
4. What does Roland say in Chapter 14 he learned from Jake when he hypnotized him?
5. What does Susannah think the speaking ring looks like in Chapter 23?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does finding the bear help Roland find a way to find the Dark Tower?
2. What happens to the Mansion as Jake attempts to enter Roland's world in Chapter 33?
3. Why did Eddie once stop carving objects out of wood?
4. What causes Jake to become obsessed with doors?
5. What does Roland believe the bear's purpose was?
6. What does Jake believe Blaine, whom he has constantly seen as a danger, plans to do in Chapter 8?
7. How many things happen to Jake in Chapters 16-23 that also happened in Roland's world?
8. What do Bill and Till tell Roland and his ka-tet about the large city of Lud?
9. What advice does Jake give someone to quiet the voices in his head? How does Jake do this?
10. What do Eddie and Susannah learn about Blaine in Chapter 27?
Compare and contrast Roland's world to the New York of Jake's time. Compare and contrast the New York of Eddie's time with the New York of Jake's time. What differences are there? How are they similar? Why do you think the author chose to make New York City the home of Jake, Eddie, and Susannah? How different is that city to each of the three characters? Do you think the setting of New York City will be important to the developing plot? Explain.
Discuss one of the following in detail citing examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) Point of view
2) Structure of the novel
3) Language--mention the use of metaphor and simile, as well as specific language
Who are Si and Mercy? Where did they come from? How does Roland feel about them? What do Roland and his friends learn about the city of Lud from these people? How does this information help Roland and his friends? How does it confirm something they already knew? What does Charlie and the Choo-Choo have to do with the city and the story Roland and his friends learn about it? Is this foreshadowing? Explain.
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)