|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of watch is Jake wearing in Chapter 18?
2. What does Eddie believe the Twelve Portals are?
3. What other memory does Roland talk of having about Jake in Chapter 13?
4. Why does Roland call Susannah Odetta in Chapter 1?
5. Who is waiting for Jake in Chapter 17 when he arrives home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Odetta Walker? Why does Susannah call her out in Chapter 23?
2. What impression does Jake get from the empty lot where Tom and Gerry's Artistic Deli once stood?
3. Why does Jake leave his family's home? What of his father's does he take?
4. What surprising things does Roland learn about Oy in Chapter 29?
5. How does finding the bear help Roland find a way to find the Dark Tower?
6. What is significant about the airplane Roland and his ka-tet find in Chapter 1?
7. Why does Jake believe he might be going insane?
8. Why did Eddie once stop carving objects out of wood?
9. Where does Gasher take Jake?
10. What does Jake believe is the purpose of Blaine in their quest? What does Eddie see that places this purpose in jeopardy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This novel is one in a series of novels about Roland and his ka-tet. Discuss in an essay how this novel might fit in with the other novels. Discuss back story presented at the beginning of the novel that helps the reader understand what happened in a previous novel. Discuss the cliffhanger ending of the book that leaves room for the next novel's plot. Discuss as well how this novel stands on its own, without the reader having prior knowledge of the novels that come before or after. Could a reader read this book out of order and still understand the point of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Who leads Jake to the Mansion? How did Jake know to follow this person? What happens to Jake once he goes inside the Mansion? How does Jake lose the key? How does he get it back? What tries to stop Jake from crossing into Roland's world? Why? Who helps Jake survive his ordeal? Why does Jake want to go to Roland's world? What would have happened to him if he had not? What happens to Jake's family? Does Jake worry about this? What does the future hold for Jake?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Roland's world to the New York of Jake's time. Compare and contrast the New York of Eddie's time with the New York of Jake's time. What differences are there? How are they similar? Why do you think the author chose to make New York City the home of Jake, Eddie, and Susannah? How different is that city to each of the three characters? Do you think the setting of New York City will be important to the developing plot? Explain.
This section contains 2,159 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)