|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jake realize in Chapter 4 is the answer to Aaron Deepneau's riddle?
2. What book is Aaron Deepneau reading in Chapters 12-15?
3. Who is Mir?
4. What name does Jake call the rose in Chapter 18?
5. Who is first to hear the approaching bear as described in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Roland first meet Jake? How?
2. What is the contrast between The Piper School and Jake's mental difficulties?
3. What is important about the jawbone Roland has carried with him since his meeting with Jake?
4. What causes Jake to become obsessed with doors?
5. Who is Odetta Walker? Why does Susannah call her out in Chapter 23?
6. What fear haunts Eddie all through Chapters 7-15?
7. What noise causes Susannah and Roland to rush back to their camp?
8. Roland is distracted in the first chapter. What does he tell Susannah is causing this distraction?
9. Where does Roland tell Susannah to shoot the bear?
10. What surprises Jake about the grade he receives on his Final Essay in English?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who leads Jake to the Mansion? How did Jake know to follow this person? What happens to Jake once he goes inside the Mansion? How does Jake lose the key? How does he get it back? What tries to stop Jake from crossing into Roland's world? Why? Who helps Jake survive his ordeal? Why does Jake want to go to Roland's world? What would have happened to him if he had not? What happens to Jake's family? Does Jake worry about this? What does the future hold for Jake?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Eddie carve a key out of wood? What is the purpose of this key? Does Eddie understand the importance of the key when he first begins carving it? How does this key compare to the one Jake has in his world? What does the key do for Jake when he holds it? Does this work for Roland? Why or why not? What does this key open? Does it work the first time Eddie uses it? What happens? What might have happened if Eddie had not carved the key?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Roland suffer from dual memories? What does this mean? What is the difference between Roland's two sets of memory? Who else suffers from dual memories? What does this say about this character's relationship with Roland? Which reality is true? Why are there more than one reality? Does the author ever fully explain these dual memories? What effect do these memories on the two characters who experience them? How do they learn to cope?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)