|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eddie often see in a piece of wood?
2. Where does Roland claim he killed Jake in Chapter 13?
3. What is the Drawers according to Susannah?
4. What does the boy in Chapter 3 warn Jake not to do?
5. Who is the boy in Jake's dream who tells him he is there to guide him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Jake meet in Chapter 20? To where does Jake follow this character?
2. What are Eddie's options when he hears the bear crashing down trees and headed in his direction?
3. What is the relationship between Roland, Susannah, and Eddie?
4. What makes Jake stop in a bookstore in Chapter 13? What does he buy there?
5. Roland is distracted in the first chapter. What does he tell Susannah is causing this distraction?
6. Where does Roland tell Susannah to shoot the bear?
7. How does finding the bear help Roland find a way to find the Dark Tower?
8. What does Eddie immediately notice is wrong with the bear?
9. What road do Roland, Susannah, and Eddie find in Chapter 7? Where do they believe it will lead them?
10. What noise causes Susannah and Roland to rush back to their camp?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following in detail citing examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) Point of view
2) Structure of the novel
3) Language--mention the use of metaphor and simile, as well as specific language
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Roland's world to the New York of Jake's time. Compare and contrast the New York of Eddie's time with the New York of Jake's time. What differences are there? How are they similar? Why do you think the author chose to make New York City the home of Jake, Eddie, and Susannah? How different is that city to each of the three characters? Do you think the setting of New York City will be important to the developing plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Eddie carve a key out of wood? What is the purpose of this key? Does Eddie understand the importance of the key when he first begins carving it? How does this key compare to the one Jake has in his world? What does the key do for Jake when he holds it? Does this work for Roland? Why or why not? What does this key open? Does it work the first time Eddie uses it? What happens? What might have happened if Eddie had not carved the key?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)