|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is written on the stone marker Jake sees in a dream in Chapter 3?
2. What is the first thing Eddie sees in Chapter 17 as Walter's jawbone burns in the fire?
3. How old is Jake in Chapter 1?
4. What does Eddie believe the Twelve Portals are?
5. What two pictures has Jake pasted to the front of his Final Essay as revealed in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Roland, Susannah, and Eddie find as they trace the path of the bear?
2. What is cruel about the way Roland inspires Susannah to learn to shoot properly?
3. What surprises Jake about the grade he receives on his Final Essay in English?
4. Who does Jake meet in his dreams in Chapter 3?
5. What road do Roland, Susannah, and Eddie find in Chapter 7? Where do they believe it will lead them?
6. What does Eddie immediately notice is wrong with the bear?
7. Who is Odetta Walker? Why does Susannah call her out in Chapter 23?
8. What fear haunts Eddie all through Chapters 7-15?
9. Why did Eddie once stop carving objects out of wood?
10. How does finding the bear help Roland find a way to find the Dark Tower?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Roland's world to the New York of Jake's time. Compare and contrast the New York of Eddie's time with the New York of Jake's time. What differences are there? How are they similar? Why do you think the author chose to make New York City the home of Jake, Eddie, and Susannah? How different is that city to each of the three characters? Do you think the setting of New York City will be important to the developing plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Who is Roland? Why is he teaching Susannah to shoot a gun? Is Roland cruel when he makes Susannah think of her past to make her angry enough to shoot straight? Why can Roland not shoot a gun? What happened to Roland? When? What is Roland's mission? Where is he going? For what reason? What will happen when he get there? How does he plan to get there?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following items and what they symbolize in the overall plot of the novel:
3) Book of Riddles
4) Charlie the Choo-choo
5) The gun of Jake's father
6) Roland's gun and gunbelt.
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)