|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a palaver?
2. What is The Mansion?
3. A poster of what actor in Chapter 20 reminds Jake of Roland?
4. What sound draws Susannah and Roland away from shooting practice in Chapter 1?
5. What is ka?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is important about the jawbone Roland has carried with him since his meeting with Jake?
2. What impression does Jake get from the empty lot where Tom and Gerry's Artistic Deli once stood?
3. What road do Roland, Susannah, and Eddie find in Chapter 7? Where do they believe it will lead them?
4. Why did Eddie once stop carving objects out of wood?
5. What is the contrast between The Piper School and Jake's mental difficulties?
6. Who is Odetta Walker? Why does Susannah call her out in Chapter 23?
7. Why does Jake leave his family's home? What of his father's does he take?
8. How many things happen to Jake in Chapters 16-23 that also happened in Roland's world?
9. What surprises Jake about the grade he receives on his Final Essay in English?
10. How does the demon help Jake enter Roland's world in Chapter 41?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who leads Jake to the Mansion? How did Jake know to follow this person? What happens to Jake once he goes inside the Mansion? How does Jake lose the key? How does he get it back? What tries to stop Jake from crossing into Roland's world? Why? Who helps Jake survive his ordeal? Why does Jake want to go to Roland's world? What would have happened to him if he had not? What happens to Jake's family? Does Jake worry about this? What does the future hold for Jake?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Susannah? What caused her to need a wheelchair? Who is she married to? Why does Susannah have difficulty learning to fire a gun? What does Roland do to make her shoot the gun? Who is Odetta? How did Susannah come to share her mind with Odetta? What does Odetta do to help Susannah and the others? What does this say about Odetta's character? What does it say about Susannah that she allows Odetta to share her mind?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following items and what they symbolize in the overall plot of the novel:
3) Book of Riddles
4) Charlie the Choo-choo
5) The gun of Jake's father
6) Roland's gun and gunbelt.
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)