|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Roland call Susannah Odetta in Chapter 1?
(a) This is a name used to anger her and get her attention.
(b) This is her real name.
(c) This is the first name he knew her by.
(d) This is his nickname for her.
2. What is missing from the riddle book Jake has just bought as seen in Chapter 14?
(a) The riddles.
(b) The first pages.
(c) The middle pages.
(d) The answers.
3. Where does Eddie hide from the bear in Chapter 5?
(a) A tent.
(b) A ditch.
(c) A hut.
(d) A tree.
4. Who is Mrs. Shaw?
(a) The housekeeper.
(b) The maid.
(c) A nanny.
(d) A teacher.
5. Which guardian does Roland talk about in a poem taught him by his nursemaid?
(a) The turtle.
(b) The fish.
(c) The bear.
(d) The lion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jake think is important about the key he has found in Chapter 17?
2. Where does Roland tell Eddie and Susannah Jake is from in Chapter 14?
3. Who is first to hear the approaching bear as described in Chapter 5?
4. What does Jake realize in Chapter 4 is the answer to Aaron Deepneau's riddle?
5. What is it that Roland claims to want in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Eddie's options when he hears the bear crashing down trees and headed in his direction?
2. Why does Jake believe he might be going insane?
3. What causes Jake to become obsessed with doors?
4. What surprises Jake about the grade he receives on his Final Essay in English?
5. Why does Jake leave his family's home? What of his father's does he take?
6. How does the demon help Jake enter Roland's world in Chapter 41?
7. Why did Eddie once stop carving objects out of wood?
8. How many things happen to Jake in Chapters 16-23 that also happened in Roland's world?
9. What is important about the jawbone Roland has carried with him since his meeting with Jake?
10. What makes Jake stop in a bookstore in Chapter 13? What does he buy there?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)