|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Darwin write about the Chilean miners?
2. Headed back towards Chiloe, what does Darwin observe at night?
3. Who demonstrates their prowess with their spears launched with throwing sticks?
4. What does Darwin discover on the way back to Chile by way of the Uspallata pass north of Mendoza?
5. Where does Darwin find mostly desert with a few mines of low quality here and there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay evaluating Darwin as a sociologist. Define how objective he is in writing about other cultures. Be sure to give references from his book to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay discussing Darwin's idea that a tribe needs a strong leader to survive. Refer to his description of the Fuegian people found in Chapter 10. In your essay state whether you agree with Darwin and why.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the formation and beauty of atolls. In your essay discuss how they were formed, specifically noting the part that coral plays in the process. Express your feeling about the fragility of the coral reefs and the effects on them of pollution and global warming.
This section contains 1,236 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)