|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Darwin describe the water at the lagoon?
2. What must Darwin and his guide cross on the way back to Hacienda de San Isidro?
3. What turns out to be a raised plain about 3,000 feet above sea level?
4. What is at the center of the atoll called Keeling Island?
5. From where do many of the people living in Port Louis come?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay discussing Darwin's idea that a tribe needs a strong leader to survive. Refer to his description of the Fuegian people found in Chapter 10. In your essay state whether you agree with Darwin and why.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the contribution to scientific knowledge that came out of the voyage of the Beagle. In your essay discuss how Darwin's inquisitive mind led him to draw certain conclusions from observations he made during the 5-year circumnavigation of the world. Notice that it was his 5-week survey of the Galapagos Islands that later led to his writing THE ORIGIN OF SPECIES and his idea of mutability of species.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay comparing the historical displacement of native peoples in both North and South America. Compare the revolutions and wars with the indigenous populations of each continent. In your essay speculate on how small groups of European settlers were able to take over the New World.
This section contains 1,197 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)