|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What disturbs Darwin about the corn harvest in the area?
2. Where does Darwin spend the night after descending the Blue Mountain plateau?
3. Why does the Beagle stop for three days at the Chonos Archipelago?
4. What does Darwin see as they continue through the Andes mountains?
5. What is the product of the ugly palms Darwin sees going up the mountain?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Darwin's impression of the geology of New Zealand.
2. How does Darwin describe the dress of the Chilean miner?
3. Explain the problem of distance perception and atmospheric effects in the mountains.
4. Tell what has transpired on the trip from the Galapagos to Tahiti.
5. Tell about the runaway sailors at the Chonos Archipelago.
6. What evidence does Darwin find that sea beds are raised by nature to great heights?
7. How does Darwin react to Sydney, Australia?
8. Tell what Darwin sees back off the coast of Chile and how he assesses the sight.
9. What are conditions like at the copper mines of Jajuel?
10. How does Darwin sum up his voyage at its end?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about a scientific trip you would like to make. Zero in on one geographical area you would like to visit and do scientific research. In your essay, express how you would prepare for such an expedition.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the value of keeping a journal. In your essay note that only observations are made in the 5-week stay on the Galapagos Islands. It was later after pondering his notes on Galapagos and reading other scientific books that Darwin used his Galapagos experience as a model for his theories in THE ORIGIN OF SPECIES. Be less specific and generalize more in your essay about how a well-kept journal may be of great value at some future time.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay discussing Darwin's idea that a tribe needs a strong leader to survive. Refer to his description of the Fuegian people found in Chapter 10. In your essay state whether you agree with Darwin and why.
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)