|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Darwin describe the dress of the Chilean miners?
2. How long has Darwin been at sea by the time he visits New Zealand?
3. What is Darwin's assessment of New Zealand?
4. What has meant giving up his usual social circles and going off into unknown territories to meet unforeseen hardships?
5. Where does Darwin spend the night after descending the Blue Mountain plateau?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what Darwin sees at Concepcion and why the houses are still standing.
2. How does Darwin describe the dress of the Chilean miner?
3. How does Darwin describe the countryside coming down off the Blue Mountain plateau?
4. How does Darwin sum up his voyage at its end?
5. Explain Darwin's observations in the Galapagos that will later influence his scientific theories.
6. Relate what Darwin finds at Chatham Island in the Galapagos archipelago.
7. Describe Darwin's impressions at the bay of Valparaiso.
8. What route does Darwin take back to Chile and what he discovers on the way.
9. Tell about the runaway sailors at the Chonos Archipelago.
10. Tell about Capt. Fitz Roy's talk with Patagonians before making it through the Magdalen Channel.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the value of keeping a journal. In your essay note that only observations are made in the 5-week stay on the Galapagos Islands. It was later after pondering his notes on Galapagos and reading other scientific books that Darwin used his Galapagos experience as a model for his theories in THE ORIGIN OF SPECIES. Be less specific and generalize more in your essay about how a well-kept journal may be of great value at some future time.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the type of person who is scientifically, physically, and emotionally fit to undertake a voyage like the one Darwin made around the world. In explaining your thesis, use examples of Darwin's inquisitive mind, his ability as a hunter, his ability to ride a horse, his nerve to go off with strangers into the unknown, etc.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about how you see the character of Charles Darwin from what he writes in his journal. Find illustrations to describe him as a person, his sensibilities, and his spirit of adventure. In your essay discuss how his public image as a man who challenges established religion is different from the way he actually is.
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)