|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What must the people do at Iquique?
2. What is located at the Bay of Valparaiso?
3. What does the host at the Hacienda de San Isidro provide for Darwin?
4. What does Darwin find in relationship to his interest in plants and animals?
5. Where does Darwin see plants and animals similar to what he saw on the plains of Patagonia?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Darwin react to Sydney, Australia?
2. Tell what Darwin sees back off the coast of Chile and how he assesses the sight.
3. What are conditions like at the copper mines of Jajuel?
4. How does Darwin describe the countryside coming down off the Blue Mountain plateau?
5. Explain the problem of distance perception and atmospheric effects in the mountains.
6. Describe Darwin's exploration of the interior of the Tahitian Island.
7. What evidence does Darwin find that sea beds are raised by nature to great heights?
8. What route does Darwin take back to Chile and what he discovers on the way.
9. Tell about Capt. Fitz Roy's talk with Patagonians before making it through the Magdalen Channel.
10. Explain what Darwin observes after landing at Hobart Town on the island of Tasmania.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay evaluating Darwin as a sociologist. Define how objective he is in writing about other cultures. Be sure to give references from his book to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the type of person who is scientifically, physically, and emotionally fit to undertake a voyage like the one Darwin made around the world. In explaining your thesis, use examples of Darwin's inquisitive mind, his ability as a hunter, his ability to ride a horse, his nerve to go off with strangers into the unknown, etc.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay comparing the historical displacement of native peoples in both North and South America. Compare the revolutions and wars with the indigenous populations of each continent. In your essay speculate on how small groups of European settlers were able to take over the New World.
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)