|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who demonstrates their prowess with their spears launched with throwing sticks?
2. What does Darwin come across that has all the trappings of an English farm?
3. How does Darwin describe the water at the lagoon?
4. Why do they have a problem with making a meal at 11,000 feet?
5. After the miserable climate around Tierra del Fuego, what does Darwin enjoy about Chile?
Short Essay Questions
1. Tell what Darwin sees back off the coast of Chile and how he assesses the sight.
2. Explain what Darwin observes after landing at Hobart Town on the island of Tasmania.
3. Describe Darwin's impressions at the bay of Valparaiso.
4. What are conditions like at the copper mines of Jajuel?
5. How does Darwin describe the dress of the Chilean miner?
6. Explain the problem of distance perception and atmospheric effects in the mountains.
7. How does Darwin sum up his voyage at its end?
8. How does Darwin describe a staple food on Tierra del Fuego?
9. Tell what has transpired on the trip from the Galapagos to Tahiti.
10. Summarize Darwin's classification of coral reefs.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about slavery. Use examples from South America and Australia that had a profound impact on Darwin. In your essay discuss how slavery affects both the slave and the master psychologically. Give your opinion as to why slavery was a generally accepted practice in the 1800s.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay comparing the historical displacement of native peoples in both North and South America. Compare the revolutions and wars with the indigenous populations of each continent. In your essay speculate on how small groups of European settlers were able to take over the New World.
Essay Topic 3
Write a critique of THE VOYAGE OF THE BEAGLE. In the critique discuss the writer's style, use of language, and ability to make the reading interesting. End the critique by your recommendation for people to read or not read this book.
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)