|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On his second attempt, what is Capt. Fitz Roy able to navigate successfully?
2. Who is the old school friend of Darwin's he stays with in Chile?
3. What does Darwin begin to notice about the different Galapagos islands?
4. What feeds the inhabitants' pigs and a large kind of crab on Keeling Island?
5. After the miserable climate around Tierra del Fuego, what does Darwin enjoy about Chile?
Short Essay Questions
1. What evidence does Darwin find that sea beds are raised by nature to great heights?
2. Tell about the runaway sailors at the Chonos Archipelago.
3. Explain what Darwin sees at Concepcion and why the houses are still standing.
4. How does Darwin react to Mauritius, known at that time as the Isle of France?
5. Explain what Darwin observes after landing at Hobart Town on the island of Tasmania.
6. What route does Darwin take back to Chile and what he discovers on the way.
7. How does Darwin describe the dress of the Chilean miner?
8. What comment does Darwin make about slavery in Australia?
9. How does Darwin describe a staple food on Tierra del Fuego?
10. What are conditions like at the copper mines of Jajuel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay comparing the hardships of exploring the earth in the mid 1880s to the hardships of space exploration today. Compare such things as cramped living conditions, facing the unknown, and dietary changes that go along with each type of exploration. Speculate how much different space travel may become in the next 100 years by comparing with the improvements in travel since the voyage of the Beagle.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay evaluating Darwin as a sociologist. Define how objective he is in writing about other cultures. Be sure to give references from his book to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about hunting for sport. Mention Darwin's killing of the condor in connection to the efforts today to save the bird from extinction. In your essay discuss how humans have contributed to the extinction or near extinction of many species.
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)