|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Darwin find mostly desert with a few mines of low quality here and there?
2. Why can Darwin not explore the forest of Chiloe?
3. What social condition does Darwin argue against at the end of his book?
4. What has meant giving up his usual social circles and going off into unknown territories to meet unforeseen hardships?
5. Who demonstrates their prowess with their spears launched with throwing sticks?
Short Essay Questions
1. Relate what Darwin finds at Chatham Island in the Galapagos archipelago.
2. How does Darwin react to Mauritius, known at that time as the Isle of France?
3. How does Darwin sum up his voyage at its end?
4. Describe Darwin's exploration of the interior of the Tahitian Island.
5. Tell what Darwin thinks and observes about the rivers in the Andes Mountains.
6. Explain what Darwin observes after landing at Hobart Town on the island of Tasmania.
7. Summarize Darwin's classification of coral reefs.
8. Describe Darwin's disappointment at the saltpeter mine.
9. How does Darwin react to Sydney, Australia?
10. What comment does Darwin make about slavery in Australia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about a scientific trip you would like to make. Zero in on one geographical area you would like to visit and do scientific research. In your essay, express how you would prepare for such an expedition.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay comparing and contrasting the gaucho with the North American cowboy. In the contrast be sure to include the gaucho's use of the bola. Give your opinion as to which of the two you find most interesting.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about returning home after a long journey or vacation. Define the feelings of being in familiar surroundings and sleeping in your own bed. Compare with Darwin's anxious desire to return to England after five years on the Beagle.
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)