Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the modern name of the large island off the eastern coast of Africa, known at the time Darwin was there as the Isle of France?
2. On his second attempt, what is Capt. Fitz Roy able to navigate successfully?
3. How does Darwin compare the natives of New Zealand to the Tahitians?
4. What is located at the Bay of Valparaiso?
5. Who demonstrates their prowess with their spears launched with throwing sticks?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the contribution to scientific knowledge that came out of the voyage of the Beagle. In your essay discuss how Darwin's inquisitive mind led him to draw certain conclusions from observations he made during the 5-year circumnavigation of the world. Notice that it was his 5-week survey of the Galapagos Islands that later led to his writing THE ORIGIN OF SPECIES and his idea of mutability of species.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about returning home after a long journey or vacation. Define the feelings of being in familiar surroundings and sleeping in your own bed. Compare with Darwin's anxious desire to return to England after five years on the Beagle.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay comparing the hardships of exploring the earth in the mid 1880s to the hardships of space exploration today. Compare such things as cramped living conditions, facing the unknown, and dietary changes that go along with each type of exploration. Speculate how much different space travel may become in the next 100 years by comparing with the improvements in travel since the voyage of the Beagle.
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)