|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What unusual thing exists on another island some miles away from Keeling Island?
2. What is the modern name of the large island off the eastern coast of Africa, known at the time Darwin was there as the Isle of France?
3. What does Darwin discover at the saltpeter mine?
4. Where does Darwin particularly admire the view?
5. What does Darwin write about the Chilean miners?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what Darwin sees at Concepcion and why the houses are still standing.
2. Tell about Capt. Fitz Roy's talk with Patagonians before making it through the Magdalen Channel.
3. Tell what Darwin sees back off the coast of Chile and how he assesses the sight.
4. What are conditions like at the copper mines of Jajuel?
5. How does Darwin describe a staple food on Tierra del Fuego?
6. What is Darwin's journal entry as they leave New Zealand?
7. Tell something about the island of Chiloe.
8. Describe Darwin's exploration of the interior of the Tahitian Island.
9. Tell what has transpired on the trip from the Galapagos to Tahiti.
10. Explain Darwin's observations in the Galapagos that will later influence his scientific theories.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the formation and beauty of atolls. In your essay discuss how they were formed, specifically noting the part that coral plays in the process. Express your feeling about the fragility of the coral reefs and the effects on them of pollution and global warming.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay comparing the hardships of exploring the earth in the mid 1880s to the hardships of space exploration today. Compare such things as cramped living conditions, facing the unknown, and dietary changes that go along with each type of exploration. Speculate how much different space travel may become in the next 100 years by comparing with the improvements in travel since the voyage of the Beagle.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay comparing and contrasting the gaucho with the North American cowboy. In the contrast be sure to include the gaucho's use of the bola. Give your opinion as to which of the two you find most interesting.
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)