|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Leaving Lima, where does the Beagle sail?
2. What must Darwin and his guide cross on the way back to Hacienda de San Isidro?
3. To what does Darwin compare the convict slave laborers in Australia?
4. How are farms operated in Australia as Darwin rides through the countryside?
5. Arriving in Matavai Bay, what do they see coming toward the Beagle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the problem of distance perception and atmospheric effects in the mountains.
2. Tell what has transpired on the trip from the Galapagos to Tahiti.
3. Tell about Capt. Fitz Roy's talk with Patagonians before making it through the Magdalen Channel.
4. Describe Darwin's disappointment at the saltpeter mine.
5. Explain Darwin's impression of the geology of New Zealand.
6. What comment does Darwin make about slavery in Australia?
7. How does Darwin describe the countryside coming down off the Blue Mountain plateau?
8. Explain what Darwin observes after landing at Hobart Town on the island of Tasmania.
9. Tell what Darwin sees back off the coast of Chile and how he assesses the sight.
10. What is Darwin's journal entry as they leave New Zealand?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about trying different kinds of food. Using Darwin's experiences of eating things like puma meat and tree fungus, discuss how different cultures have different culinary habits. Include any experience you have had in trying a food you had never eaten before. Explain in your essay how adventurous you are (or are not) in trying unusual foods.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about returning home after a long journey or vacation. Define the feelings of being in familiar surroundings and sleeping in your own bed. Compare with Darwin's anxious desire to return to England after five years on the Beagle.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about birds you are familiar with and like. In the essay, describe the various birds and why they are appealing to you. Use anecdotes to support your points.
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)