|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Darwin see as they continue through the Andes mountains?
2. What does Darwin discover at the saltpeter mine?
3. Where does Darwin spend the night after descending the Blue Mountain plateau?
4. What does the host at the Hacienda de San Isidro provide for Darwin?
5. What do reddish brown clouds turn out to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Darwin describe a staple food on Tierra del Fuego?
2. What route does Darwin take back to Chile and what he discovers on the way.
3. What comment does Darwin make about slavery in Australia?
4. How does Darwin react to Mauritius, known at that time as the Isle of France?
5. Explain Darwin's impression of the geology of New Zealand.
6. Explain the problem of distance perception and atmospheric effects in the mountains.
7. Describe Darwin's impressions at the bay of Valparaiso.
8. Tell something about the island of Chiloe.
9. What are conditions like at the copper mines of Jajuel?
10. Describe Darwin's disappointment at the saltpeter mine.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay comparing the hardships of exploring the earth in the mid 1880s to the hardships of space exploration today. Compare such things as cramped living conditions, facing the unknown, and dietary changes that go along with each type of exploration. Speculate how much different space travel may become in the next 100 years by comparing with the improvements in travel since the voyage of the Beagle.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the formation and beauty of atolls. In your essay discuss how they were formed, specifically noting the part that coral plays in the process. Express your feeling about the fragility of the coral reefs and the effects on them of pollution and global warming.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on man's disruption of natural ecology by introducing species to an area where they do not naturally belong. Use examples of this as seen by Darwin on his scientific voyage. Conclude in your essay why humans are responsible for preserving the ecosystems of the world.
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)