|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What must the people do at Iquique?
2. What does the host at the Hacienda de San Isidro provide for Darwin?
3. What does Darwin speculate about as he observes the snow melt percolating and loosening rocks?
4. Why do Darwin and Mariano Gonzales take ten pack mules on the trek across the Andes?
5. What theory of Darwin's after observing the atolls is still considered valid today?
Short Essay Questions
1. What comment does Darwin make about slavery in Australia?
2. What is Darwin's journal entry as they leave New Zealand?
3. What are conditions like at the copper mines of Jajuel?
4. What route does Darwin take back to Chile and what he discovers on the way.
5. Summarize Darwin's classification of coral reefs.
6. Tell something about the island of Chiloe.
7. Explain Darwin's impression of the geology of New Zealand.
8. Tell what Darwin thinks and observes about the rivers in the Andes Mountains.
9. Describe Darwin's exploration of the interior of the Tahitian Island.
10. What evidence does Darwin find that sea beds are raised by nature to great heights?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the part volcanoes have played in the formation of land areas on the earth. Although usually looked at as something dangerous and terrible, discuss the contributions volcanoes have played in forming island territories and the fertility and shape of land areas. In your essay mention some active volcanoes today.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay comparing the hardships of exploring the earth in the mid 1880s to the hardships of space exploration today. Compare such things as cramped living conditions, facing the unknown, and dietary changes that go along with each type of exploration. Speculate how much different space travel may become in the next 100 years by comparing with the improvements in travel since the voyage of the Beagle.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about a scientific trip you would like to make. Zero in on one geographical area you would like to visit and do scientific research. In your essay, express how you would prepare for such an expedition.
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)