|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who demonstrates their prowess with their spears launched with throwing sticks?
2. Why must they stop regularly while ascending Peuquenes ridge?
3. What is the modern name of the large island off the eastern coast of Africa, known at the time Darwin was there as the Isle of France?
4. How are farms operated in Australia as Darwin rides through the countryside?
5. Who are the unusually tall people compared to other natives of the area?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Darwin react to Mauritius, known at that time as the Isle of France?
2. What comment does Darwin make about slavery in Australia?
3. How does Darwin describe a staple food on Tierra del Fuego?
4. Relate what Darwin finds at Chatham Island in the Galapagos archipelago.
5. Tell about Capt. Fitz Roy's talk with Patagonians before making it through the Magdalen Channel.
6. Tell what Darwin sees back off the coast of Chile and how he assesses the sight.
7. Summarize Darwin's classification of coral reefs.
8. What route does Darwin take back to Chile and what he discovers on the way.
9. How does Darwin react to Sydney, Australia?
10. Tell something about the island of Chiloe.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay comparing and contrasting the gaucho with the North American cowboy. In the contrast be sure to include the gaucho's use of the bola. Give your opinion as to which of the two you find most interesting.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about birds you are familiar with and like. In the essay, describe the various birds and why they are appealing to you. Use anecdotes to support your points.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the contribution to scientific knowledge that came out of the voyage of the Beagle. In your essay discuss how Darwin's inquisitive mind led him to draw certain conclusions from observations he made during the 5-year circumnavigation of the world. Notice that it was his 5-week survey of the Galapagos Islands that later led to his writing THE ORIGIN OF SPECIES and his idea of mutability of species.
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)