|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Darwin and some crew members walk on when they visit the island of San Pedro?
2. Why must they stop regularly while ascending Peuquenes ridge?
3. What reception does the Beagle receive at New Zealand?
4. What is a principal industry of Chile that Darwin observes?
5. Who is the old school friend of Darwin's he stays with in Chile?
Short Essay Questions
1. What evidence does Darwin find that sea beds are raised by nature to great heights?
2. How does Darwin sum up his voyage at its end?
3. Tell what has transpired on the trip from the Galapagos to Tahiti.
4. What route does Darwin take back to Chile and what he discovers on the way.
5. Tell about Capt. Fitz Roy's talk with Patagonians before making it through the Magdalen Channel.
6. What are the things Darwin notices at Keeling Island?
7. How does Darwin describe a staple food on Tierra del Fuego?
8. Relate what Darwin finds at Chatham Island in the Galapagos archipelago.
9. Describe Darwin's disappointment at the saltpeter mine.
10. Explain what Darwin observes after landing at Hobart Town on the island of Tasmania.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the value of keeping a journal. In your essay note that only observations are made in the 5-week stay on the Galapagos Islands. It was later after pondering his notes on Galapagos and reading other scientific books that Darwin used his Galapagos experience as a model for his theories in THE ORIGIN OF SPECIES. Be less specific and generalize more in your essay about how a well-kept journal may be of great value at some future time.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about birds you are familiar with and like. In the essay, describe the various birds and why they are appealing to you. Use anecdotes to support your points.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on man's disruption of natural ecology by introducing species to an area where they do not naturally belong. Use examples of this as seen by Darwin on his scientific voyage. Conclude in your essay why humans are responsible for preserving the ecosystems of the world.
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)