|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After sailing away from Chile, where does the Beagle go?
2. What has Darwin observed on the 3,200 mile trip from the Galapagos?
3. What theory of Darwin's after observing the atolls is still considered valid today?
4. Walking along a road cut through the landscape, what does Darwin reflect on?
5. What does Darwin say is too great and ambitious for affection, yet not great enough for respect?
Short Essay Questions
1. What evidence does Darwin find that sea beds are raised by nature to great heights?
2. What comment does Darwin make about slavery in Australia?
3. Explain Darwin's observations in the Galapagos that will later influence his scientific theories.
4. What is Darwin's journal entry as they leave New Zealand?
5. Tell what Darwin thinks and observes about the rivers in the Andes Mountains.
6. Describe Darwin's exploration of the interior of the Tahitian Island.
7. Tell about the runaway sailors at the Chonos Archipelago.
8. How does Darwin describe the dress of the Chilean miner?
9. How does Darwin describe the countryside coming down off the Blue Mountain plateau?
10. Tell about Capt. Fitz Roy's talk with Patagonians before making it through the Magdalen Channel.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about a scientific trip you would like to make. Zero in on one geographical area you would like to visit and do scientific research. In your essay, express how you would prepare for such an expedition.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the type of person who is scientifically, physically, and emotionally fit to undertake a voyage like the one Darwin made around the world. In explaining your thesis, use examples of Darwin's inquisitive mind, his ability as a hunter, his ability to ride a horse, his nerve to go off with strangers into the unknown, etc.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about trying different kinds of food. Using Darwin's experiences of eating things like puma meat and tree fungus, discuss how different cultures have different culinary habits. Include any experience you have had in trying a food you had never eaten before. Explain in your essay how adventurous you are (or are not) in trying unusual foods.
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)