|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the stormy place the Beagle visits where the people raise pigs and potatoes and catch fish?
2. How does Darwin describe the dress of the Chilean miners?
3. What social condition does Darwin argue against at the end of his book?
4. What does Darwin discover at the saltpeter mine?
5. What notable landmark does Darwin see on St. Helen's Island?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Darwin describe a staple food on Tierra del Fuego?
2. How does Darwin sum up his voyage at its end?
3. Explain what Darwin observes after landing at Hobart Town on the island of Tasmania.
4. Describe Darwin's exploration of the interior of the Tahitian Island.
5. Describe Darwin's disappointment at the saltpeter mine.
6. Summarize Darwin's classification of coral reefs.
7. Explain what Darwin sees at Concepcion and why the houses are still standing.
8. Explain Darwin's observations in the Galapagos that will later influence his scientific theories.
9. What evidence does Darwin find that sea beds are raised by nature to great heights?
10. How does Darwin react to Sydney, Australia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about trying different kinds of food. Using Darwin's experiences of eating things like puma meat and tree fungus, discuss how different cultures have different culinary habits. Include any experience you have had in trying a food you had never eaten before. Explain in your essay how adventurous you are (or are not) in trying unusual foods.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about returning home after a long journey or vacation. Define the feelings of being in familiar surroundings and sleeping in your own bed. Compare with Darwin's anxious desire to return to England after five years on the Beagle.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the value of keeping a journal. In your essay note that only observations are made in the 5-week stay on the Galapagos Islands. It was later after pondering his notes on Galapagos and reading other scientific books that Darwin used his Galapagos experience as a model for his theories in THE ORIGIN OF SPECIES. Be less specific and generalize more in your essay about how a well-kept journal may be of great value at some future time.
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)