|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Darwin prepare to cross the Andes Mountains through the Portillo pass?
2. How long has Darwin been at sea by the time he visits New Zealand?
3. Where do the wooden houses best withstand the effects of the massive earthquake?
4. What does Darwin discover on the way back to Chile by way of the Uspallata pass north of Mendoza?
5. How are farms operated in Australia as Darwin rides through the countryside?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Darwin's exploration of the interior of the Tahitian Island.
2. Tell about the runaway sailors at the Chonos Archipelago.
3. Summarize Darwin's classification of coral reefs.
4. Tell what has transpired on the trip from the Galapagos to Tahiti.
5. What evidence does Darwin find that sea beds are raised by nature to great heights?
6. Tell something about the island of Chiloe.
7. How does Darwin react to Sydney, Australia?
8. Describe Darwin's disappointment at the saltpeter mine.
9. How does Darwin sum up his voyage at its end?
10. Relate what Darwin finds at Chatham Island in the Galapagos archipelago.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a critique of THE VOYAGE OF THE BEAGLE. In the critique discuss the writer's style, use of language, and ability to make the reading interesting. End the critique by your recommendation for people to read or not read this book.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the value of keeping a journal. In your essay note that only observations are made in the 5-week stay on the Galapagos Islands. It was later after pondering his notes on Galapagos and reading other scientific books that Darwin used his Galapagos experience as a model for his theories in THE ORIGIN OF SPECIES. Be less specific and generalize more in your essay about how a well-kept journal may be of great value at some future time.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay evaluating Darwin as a sociologist. Define how objective he is in writing about other cultures. Be sure to give references from his book to support your ideas.
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)