|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is at the center of the atoll called Keeling Island?
2. What has Darwin observed on the 3,200 mile trip from the Galapagos?
3. What does Darwin say is too great and ambitious for affection, yet not great enough for respect?
4. What does Darwin see that is the size of a rabbit but looks like a kangaroo?
5. On his way up the coast of Chile toward Copiapo, why does Darwin turn inland toward the mining area?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Darwin's exploration of the interior of the Tahitian Island.
2. What is Darwin's journal entry as they leave New Zealand?
3. How does Darwin describe the countryside coming down off the Blue Mountain plateau?
4. What comment does Darwin make about slavery in Australia?
5. Summarize Darwin's classification of coral reefs.
6. How does Darwin describe a staple food on Tierra del Fuego?
7. Explain Darwin's observations in the Galapagos that will later influence his scientific theories.
8. What route does Darwin take back to Chile and what he discovers on the way.
9. Describe Darwin's disappointment at the saltpeter mine.
10. What evidence does Darwin find that sea beds are raised by nature to great heights?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the type of person who is scientifically, physically, and emotionally fit to undertake a voyage like the one Darwin made around the world. In explaining your thesis, use examples of Darwin's inquisitive mind, his ability as a hunter, his ability to ride a horse, his nerve to go off with strangers into the unknown, etc.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about trying different kinds of food. Using Darwin's experiences of eating things like puma meat and tree fungus, discuss how different cultures have different culinary habits. Include any experience you have had in trying a food you had never eaten before. Explain in your essay how adventurous you are (or are not) in trying unusual foods.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay comparing the historical displacement of native peoples in both North and South America. Compare the revolutions and wars with the indigenous populations of each continent. In your essay speculate on how small groups of European settlers were able to take over the New World.
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)