|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Darwin begin to notice about the different Galapagos islands?
2. What does Darwin say is too great and ambitious for affection, yet not great enough for respect?
3. What does Darwin see as the disadvantages such as monetary inflation and a sense of personal anonymity in Sydney?
4. Where does Darwin particularly admire the view?
5. What are the Kauai pine?
Short Essay Questions
1. Tell about the runaway sailors at the Chonos Archipelago.
2. Summarize Darwin's classification of coral reefs.
3. Describe Darwin's disappointment at the saltpeter mine.
4. How does Darwin describe a staple food on Tierra del Fuego?
5. How does Darwin describe the dress of the Chilean miner?
6. Explain what Darwin observes after landing at Hobart Town on the island of Tasmania.
7. What evidence does Darwin find that sea beds are raised by nature to great heights?
8. Explain the problem of distance perception and atmospheric effects in the mountains.
9. How does Darwin sum up his voyage at its end?
10. Tell about Capt. Fitz Roy's talk with Patagonians before making it through the Magdalen Channel.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay evaluating Darwin as a sociologist. Define how objective he is in writing about other cultures. Be sure to give references from his book to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about how scientific knowledge has grown since Darwin (1809-1882) went on the voyage of the Beagle. Discuss how modern scientific methods and equipment enable us to see things Darwin could not see with his naked eye or under his microscope. Speculate on how much more Darwin might have found in areas that were of little interest to him on his trip if he had had access to more modern equipment.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about trying different kinds of food. Using Darwin's experiences of eating things like puma meat and tree fungus, discuss how different cultures have different culinary habits. Include any experience you have had in trying a food you had never eaten before. Explain in your essay how adventurous you are (or are not) in trying unusual foods.
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)