Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the modern name of the large island off the eastern coast of Africa, known at the time Darwin was there as the Isle of France?
2. On his second attempt, what is Capt. Fitz Roy able to navigate successfully?
3. How does Darwin compare the natives of New Zealand to the Tahitians?
4. What is located at the Bay of Valparaiso?
5. Who demonstrates their prowess with their spears launched with throwing sticks?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about slavery. Use examples from South America and Australia that had a profound impact on Darwin. In your essay discuss how slavery affects both the slave and the master psychologically. Give your opinion as to why slavery was a generally accepted practice in the 1800s.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay evaluating Darwin as a sociologist. Define how objective he is in writing about other cultures. Be sure to give references from his book to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the contribution to scientific knowledge that came out of the voyage of the Beagle. In your essay discuss how Darwin's inquisitive mind led him to draw certain conclusions from observations he made during the 5-year circumnavigation of the world. Notice that it was his 5-week survey of the Galapagos Islands that later led to his writing THE ORIGIN OF SPECIES and his idea of mutability of species.
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)