|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Darwin compare the natives of New Zealand to the Tahitians?
2. What is located at the Bay of Valparaiso?
3. What does Darwin find in relationship to his interest in plants and animals?
4. What is a principal industry of Chile that Darwin observes?
5. Where does Darwin find olive and orange trees and many varieties of vegetables?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about how you see the character of Charles Darwin from what he writes in his journal. Find illustrations to describe him as a person, his sensibilities, and his spirit of adventure. In your essay discuss how his public image as a man who challenges established religion is different from the way he actually is.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about returning home after a long journey or vacation. Define the feelings of being in familiar surroundings and sleeping in your own bed. Compare with Darwin's anxious desire to return to England after five years on the Beagle.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the part volcanoes have played in the formation of land areas on the earth. Although usually looked at as something dangerous and terrible, discuss the contributions volcanoes have played in forming island territories and the fertility and shape of land areas. In your essay mention some active volcanoes today.
This section contains 1,204 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)