|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the way after Monte Video, what surrounds the Beagle?
2. Where does Darwin see a rocky, steep hill jutting about 1,000 feet into the sky?
3. Where does Darwin stay at Socego?
4. How does Darwin surmise the butterflies and insects got to where the Beagle is?
5. Who does Darwin encounter in the village of Las Minas?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe two species of birds Darwin locates after he finds the fossils.
2. On his trip to Buenos Aires, What does Darwin have to observe?
3. At the Rio Negro, about 300 miles to the south of Maldonado, what is the evidence of political turmoil in South America?
4. What does Darwin have to say about the Brazilian rain forest?
5. What does Darwin surmise about the geology of St. Jago?
6. Describe the rodents Darwin encounters outside Maldonado.
7. Heading toward St. Fe, about 300 miles north of Buenos Aries along the Parana River, describe the strange animal Darwin observes.
8. At the first stop after Sao Jago, what are Darwin's observations?
9. How does Darwin surmise that animals similar to Old World animals ended up in the Americas?
10. In the area of St. Fe, Darwin examines the geology. What discovery does he make there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about trying different kinds of food. Using Darwin's experiences of eating things like puma meat and tree fungus, discuss how different cultures have different culinary habits. Include any experience you have had in trying a food you had never eaten before. Explain in your essay how adventurous you are (or are not) in trying unusual foods.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay comparing the historical displacement of native peoples in both North and South America. Compare the revolutions and wars with the indigenous populations of each continent. In your essay speculate on how small groups of European settlers were able to take over the New World.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay evaluating Darwin as a sociologist. Define how objective he is in writing about other cultures. Be sure to give references from his book to support your ideas.
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)