|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Darwin find while exploring Cape de Verd?
2. What is Darwin told about climatic events in the area?
3. Who are York Minster, Jemmy Button and Fuegia Basket?
4. What do the Brazilian villages remind Darwin of?
5. What is Darwin's assessment of the natives on Tierra del Fuego?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the rodents Darwin encounters outside Maldonado.
2. What problem ensues after the Portuguese priest makes a kill in the forest?
3. In three days at Socego, where does Darwin find insects to collect?
4. Describe two species of birds Darwin locates after he finds the fossils.
5. Who does Darwin encounter at Las Minas and how does he size them up?
6. What occurs in the Plata estuary?
7. What does Darwin discover in the area of Bahia Blanca after the Beagle arrives and how does he theorize about his find?
8. How is Darwin stunned by the docility of a large male slave?
9. Briefly tell about the waterfowl Darwin catalogs on East Falkland Island.
10. What does Darwin write about how the gauchos break horses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about a scientific trip you would like to make. Zero in on one geographical area you would like to visit and do scientific research. In your essay, express how you would prepare for such an expedition.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about birds you are familiar with and like. In the essay, describe the various birds and why they are appealing to you. Use anecdotes to support your points.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about how you see the character of Charles Darwin from what he writes in his journal. Find illustrations to describe him as a person, his sensibilities, and his spirit of adventure. In your essay discuss how his public image as a man who challenges established religion is different from the way he actually is.
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)