|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is an important occupation for the gauchos?
2. What do Gen. Rosa's soldiers do after killing the adult natives?
3. Who takes Darwin and his gaucho companion to a mountain called the Sierra de la Ventana?
4. What are the two different styles Darwin uses in his journal?
5. What is the composition of the Cape de Verd Islands?
Short Essay Questions
1. Heading toward St. Fe, about 300 miles north of Buenos Aries along the Parana River, describe the strange animal Darwin observes.
2. Describe two species of birds Darwin locates after he finds the fossils.
3. Relate the circumstances of returning natives of Tierra del Fuego island.
4. How does Darwin regard the Brazilian horses?
5. What does Darwin write about a huge bird he kills up the Santa Cruz River?
6. At the Rio Negro, about 300 miles to the south of Maldonado, what is the evidence of political turmoil in South America?
7. Describe the beginning of Darwin's trip around the world.
8. What does Darwin find to write about just outside of Maldonado?
9. In three days at Socego, where does Darwin find insects to collect?
10. What problem ensues after the Portuguese priest makes a kill in the forest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on man's disruption of natural ecology by introducing species to an area where they do not naturally belong. Use examples of this as seen by Darwin on his scientific voyage. Conclude in your essay why humans are responsible for preserving the ecosystems of the world.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the part volcanoes have played in the formation of land areas on the earth. Although usually looked at as something dangerous and terrible, discuss the contributions volcanoes have played in forming island territories and the fertility and shape of land areas. In your essay mention some active volcanoes today.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the contribution to scientific knowledge that came out of the voyage of the Beagle. In your essay discuss how Darwin's inquisitive mind led him to draw certain conclusions from observations he made during the 5-year circumnavigation of the world. Notice that it was his 5-week survey of the Galapagos Islands that later led to his writing THE ORIGIN OF SPECIES and his idea of mutability of species.
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)