|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can two dead monkeys not be shaken out of a tree?
2. Who does Darwin encounter in the village of Las Minas?
3. Upon Darwin's return to Buenos Aires, what is going on?
4. What is Darwin told about climatic events in the area?
5. How does Darwin speculate the craggy boulders around the mountains were moved?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Darwin find to write about just outside of Maldonado?
2. Describe the rodents Darwin encounters outside Maldonado.
3. What does Darwin surmise about the geology of St. Jago?
4. Heading toward St. Fe, about 300 miles north of Buenos Aries along the Parana River, describe the strange animal Darwin observes.
5. How does Darwin describe the behavior of the guanaco he finds at the ruins of an old Spanish settlement?
6. Describe the problem Darwin faces when he returns to Buenos Aires.
7. At the Rio Negro, about 300 miles to the south of Maldonado, what is the evidence of political turmoil in South America?
8. In three days at Socego, where does Darwin find insects to collect?
9. How does Darwin surmise that animals similar to Old World animals ended up in the Americas?
10. Who does Darwin encounter at Las Minas and how does he size them up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay evaluating Darwin as a sociologist. Define how objective he is in writing about other cultures. Be sure to give references from his book to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about trying different kinds of food. Using Darwin's experiences of eating things like puma meat and tree fungus, discuss how different cultures have different culinary habits. Include any experience you have had in trying a food you had never eaten before. Explain in your essay how adventurous you are (or are not) in trying unusual foods.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about birds you are familiar with and like. In the essay, describe the various birds and why they are appealing to you. Use anecdotes to support your points.
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)