|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the people show hospitality and allow Darwin to stay at various outposts and ranches?
2. What do the Brazilian villages remind Darwin of?
3. Where does Darwin see a rocky, steep hill jutting about 1,000 feet into the sky?
4. On the way to Santa Fe, what makes the road very difficult, especially for the many carts with huge wheels?
5. How does Darwin speculate the craggy boulders around the mountains were moved?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Darwin have to say about the Brazilian rain forest?
2. Relate the circumstances of returning natives of Tierra del Fuego island.
3. How is Darwin stunned by the docility of a large male slave?
4. How does Darwin regard the Brazilian horses?
5. Briefly tell about the waterfowl Darwin catalogs on East Falkland Island.
6. At the Rio Negro, about 300 miles to the south of Maldonado, what is the evidence of political turmoil in South America?
7. What does Darwin write about a huge bird he kills up the Santa Cruz River?
8. What does Darwin discover in the area of Bahia Blanca after the Beagle arrives and how does he theorize about his find?
9. How does Darwin react to the selling of children as slaves as opposed to what the soldiers and the settlers think about it.
10. At the first stop after Sao Jago, what are Darwin's observations?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on man's disruption of natural ecology by introducing species to an area where they do not naturally belong. Use examples of this as seen by Darwin on his scientific voyage. Conclude in your essay why humans are responsible for preserving the ecosystems of the world.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about returning home after a long journey or vacation. Define the feelings of being in familiar surroundings and sleeping in your own bed. Compare with Darwin's anxious desire to return to England after five years on the Beagle.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about birds you are familiar with and like. In the essay, describe the various birds and why they are appealing to you. Use anecdotes to support your points.
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)