Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After leaving the Santa Cruz River, where does the Beagle make its next stop?
2. What are the dates of Charles Darwin's life span?
3. What does Darwin see along the way where robbers hide and cattle can be lost?
4. What does Darwin find while exploring Cape de Verd?
5. Upon Darwin's return to Buenos Aires, what is going on?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Darwin react to the selling of children as slaves as opposed to what the soldiers and the settlers think about it.
2. At the first stop after Sao Jago, what are Darwin's observations?
3. Describe Darwin's exploration of the interior of the Tahitian Island.
4. Explain what Darwin sees at Concepcion and why the houses are still standing.
5. At the Rio Negro, about 300 miles to the south of Maldonado, what is the evidence of political turmoil in South America?
6. What are conditions like at the copper mines of Jajuel?
7. Describe Darwin's impressions at the bay of Valparaiso.
8. What does Darwin discover in the area of Bahia Blanca after the Beagle arrives and how does he theorize about his find?
9. Describe two species of birds Darwin locates after he finds the fossils.
10. Heading toward St. Fe, about 300 miles north of Buenos Aries along the Parana River, describe the strange animal Darwin observes.
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on man's disruption of natural ecology by introducing species to an area where they do not naturally belong. Use examples of this as seen by Darwin on his scientific voyage. Conclude in your essay why humans are responsible for preserving the ecosystems of the world.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the value of keeping a journal. In your essay note that only observations are made in the 5-week stay on the Galapagos Islands. It was later after pondering his notes on Galapagos and reading other scientific books that Darwin used his Galapagos experience as a model for his theories in THE ORIGIN OF SPECIES. Be less specific and generalize more in your essay about how a well-kept journal may be of great value at some future time.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay comparing the hardships of exploring the earth in the mid 1880s to the hardships of space exploration today. Compare such things as cramped living conditions, facing the unknown, and dietary changes that go along with each type of exploration. Speculate how much different space travel may become in the next 100 years by comparing with the improvements in travel since the voyage of the Beagle.
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)