|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Darwin discover about fifteen miles from Patagones?
2. After leaving the Santa Cruz River, where does the Beagle make its next stop?
3. What are the two different styles Darwin uses in his journal?
4. Leaving Monte Video, where is the Beagle headed?
5. What does Darwin collect traveling around Argentina?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Darwin have to say about the Brazilian rain forest?
2. What is Darwin given to eat at Tapalguen River?
3. In three days at Socego, where does Darwin find insects to collect?
4. What strange phenomenon occurs on the way to Port Desire and how does Darwin rationalize it?
5. On his trip to Buenos Aires, What does Darwin have to observe?
6. At the first stop after Sao Jago, what are Darwin's observations?
7. Describe two species of birds Darwin locates after he finds the fossils.
8. How is Darwin stunned by the docility of a large male slave?
9. Why does Darwin not stay long at Bahia Blanca?
10. Describe the problem Darwin faces when he returns to Buenos Aires.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the type of person who is scientifically, physically, and emotionally fit to undertake a voyage like the one Darwin made around the world. In explaining your thesis, use examples of Darwin's inquisitive mind, his ability as a hunter, his ability to ride a horse, his nerve to go off with strangers into the unknown, etc.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the formation and beauty of atolls. In your essay discuss how they were formed, specifically noting the part that coral plays in the process. Express your feeling about the fragility of the coral reefs and the effects on them of pollution and global warming.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay discussing Darwin's idea that a tribe needs a strong leader to survive. Refer to his description of the Fuegian people found in Chapter 10. In your essay state whether you agree with Darwin and why.
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)