|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Darwin and his companions find at the Colorado River?
2. How does Darwin attempt to communicate with a large black man on a ferry?
3. What do the inhabitants of a ranch north of the Polanco River find interesting when Darwin arrives?
4. What causes the different colored water Darwin sees after leaving Bahia?
5. What animal is a scavenger for hard objects it piles at the entrance to its burrows?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Darwin surmise that animals similar to Old World animals ended up in the Americas?
2. Describe the beginning of Darwin's trip around the world.
3. How does Darwin regard the Brazilian horses?
4. Heading toward St. Fe, about 300 miles north of Buenos Aries along the Parana River, describe the strange animal Darwin observes.
5. What does Darwin have to say about the Brazilian rain forest?
6. What does Darwin surmise about the geology of St. Jago?
7. What occurs in the Plata estuary?
8. In the area of St. Fe, Darwin examines the geology. What discovery does he make there?
9. Briefly tell about the waterfowl Darwin catalogs on East Falkland Island.
10. How does Darwin react to the selling of children as slaves as opposed to what the soldiers and the settlers think about it.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the type of person who is scientifically, physically, and emotionally fit to undertake a voyage like the one Darwin made around the world. In explaining your thesis, use examples of Darwin's inquisitive mind, his ability as a hunter, his ability to ride a horse, his nerve to go off with strangers into the unknown, etc.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay discussing Darwin's idea that a tribe needs a strong leader to survive. Refer to his description of the Fuegian people found in Chapter 10. In your essay state whether you agree with Darwin and why.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the part volcanoes have played in the formation of land areas on the earth. Although usually looked at as something dangerous and terrible, discuss the contributions volcanoes have played in forming island territories and the fertility and shape of land areas. In your essay mention some active volcanoes today.
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)