|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Darwin compare to the taste of veal?
2. What is the sociological condition in Brazil that disturbs Darwin?
3. What does the evening meal consist of at Don Juan Fuentes' house?
4. What is a sporting way gauchos sometimes dismount?
5. What do the gauchos prepare for a meal on the island?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Darwin write about how the gauchos break horses?
2. Why does Darwin not stay long at Bahia Blanca?
3. Heading toward St. Fe, about 300 miles north of Buenos Aries along the Parana River, describe the strange animal Darwin observes.
4. Describe the problem Darwin faces when he returns to Buenos Aires.
5. What does Darwin discover in the area of Bahia Blanca after the Beagle arrives and how does he theorize about his find?
6. How does Darwin regard the Brazilian horses?
7. What does Darwin write about a huge bird he kills up the Santa Cruz River?
8. What is Darwin given to eat at Tapalguen River?
9. What strange phenomenon occurs on the way to Port Desire and how does Darwin rationalize it?
10. What does Darwin find to write about just outside of Maldonado?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the formation and beauty of atolls. In your essay discuss how they were formed, specifically noting the part that coral plays in the process. Express your feeling about the fragility of the coral reefs and the effects on them of pollution and global warming.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about how scientific knowledge has grown since Darwin (1809-1882) went on the voyage of the Beagle. Discuss how modern scientific methods and equipment enable us to see things Darwin could not see with his naked eye or under his microscope. Speculate on how much more Darwin might have found in areas that were of little interest to him on his trip if he had had access to more modern equipment.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about birds you are familiar with and like. In the essay, describe the various birds and why they are appealing to you. Use anecdotes to support your points.
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)