|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animals had been introduced on East Falkland Island?
2. Who takes Darwin and his gaucho companion to a mountain called the Sierra de la Ventana?
3. What do the gauchos prepare for a meal on the island?
4. Where does Darwin see camphor, pepper, cinnamon and clove trees, along with breadfruit, jaca and mango?
5. What animal life does Darwin observe on the trail?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the first stop after Sao Jago, what are Darwin's observations?
2. How is Darwin stunned by the docility of a large male slave?
3. Heading toward St. Fe, about 300 miles north of Buenos Aries along the Parana River, describe the strange animal Darwin observes.
4. Why is Darwin fascinated to find the flatworm in the mud around the salt lake?
5. Describe the rodents Darwin encounters outside Maldonado.
6. Relate the circumstances of returning natives of Tierra del Fuego island.
7. At the Rio Negro, about 300 miles to the south of Maldonado, what is the evidence of political turmoil in South America?
8. Describe the problem with getting three boats up the Santa Cruz River.
9. What does Darwin write about a huge bird he kills up the Santa Cruz River?
10. What problem ensues after the Portuguese priest makes a kill in the forest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on man's disruption of natural ecology by introducing species to an area where they do not naturally belong. Use examples of this as seen by Darwin on his scientific voyage. Conclude in your essay why humans are responsible for preserving the ecosystems of the world.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay comparing the historical displacement of native peoples in both North and South America. Compare the revolutions and wars with the indigenous populations of each continent. In your essay speculate on how small groups of European settlers were able to take over the New World.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about slavery. Use examples from South America and Australia that had a profound impact on Darwin. In your essay discuss how slavery affects both the slave and the master psychologically. Give your opinion as to why slavery was a generally accepted practice in the 1800s.
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)