|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the composition of most of the rock formations on the Brazilian coast?
2. What is a sporting way gauchos sometimes dismount?
3. Why is a tree Darwin comes across famous among the natives?
4. Where does Darwin travel with the company of a guide and five gauchos?
5. Leaving Monte Video, where is the Beagle headed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Darwin find to write about just outside of Maldonado?
2. Describe two species of birds Darwin locates after he finds the fossils.
3. How do the people of Uruguay receive Darwin and what does he notice there?
4. How does Darwin surmise that animals similar to Old World animals ended up in the Americas?
5. Describe the rodents Darwin encounters outside Maldonado.
6. Describe the problem Darwin faces when he returns to Buenos Aires.
7. What problem ensues after the Portuguese priest makes a kill in the forest?
8. Who does Darwin encounter at Las Minas and how does he size them up?
9. How does Darwin describe the behavior of the guanaco he finds at the ruins of an old Spanish settlement?
10. Describe the problem with getting three boats up the Santa Cruz River.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the type of person who is scientifically, physically, and emotionally fit to undertake a voyage like the one Darwin made around the world. In explaining your thesis, use examples of Darwin's inquisitive mind, his ability as a hunter, his ability to ride a horse, his nerve to go off with strangers into the unknown, etc.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the part volcanoes have played in the formation of land areas on the earth. Although usually looked at as something dangerous and terrible, discuss the contributions volcanoes have played in forming island territories and the fertility and shape of land areas. In your essay mention some active volcanoes today.
Essay Topic 3
Write a critique of THE VOYAGE OF THE BEAGLE. In the critique discuss the writer's style, use of language, and ability to make the reading interesting. End the critique by your recommendation for people to read or not read this book.
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)