|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What large bird does Darwin shoot up the Santa Cruz River?
2. What affirmation does Darwin make about the earth?
3. How does Darwin end up bringing his own horse down?
4. Who are the people living on Tierra del Fuego?
5. On the way after Monte Video, what surrounds the Beagle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problem ensues after the Portuguese priest makes a kill in the forest?
2. Why is Darwin fascinated to find the flatworm in the mud around the salt lake?
3. Why does Darwin not stay long at Bahia Blanca?
4. What does Darwin surmise about the geology of St. Jago?
5. Who does Darwin encounter at Las Minas and how does he size them up?
6. How does Darwin describe the behavior of the guanaco he finds at the ruins of an old Spanish settlement?
7. What does Darwin find to write about just outside of Maldonado?
8. Describe the rodents Darwin encounters outside Maldonado.
9. Describe the problem with getting three boats up the Santa Cruz River.
10. What does Darwin write about a huge bird he kills up the Santa Cruz River?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about slavery. Use examples from South America and Australia that had a profound impact on Darwin. In your essay discuss how slavery affects both the slave and the master psychologically. Give your opinion as to why slavery was a generally accepted practice in the 1800s.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay comparing the historical displacement of native peoples in both North and South America. Compare the revolutions and wars with the indigenous populations of each continent. In your essay speculate on how small groups of European settlers were able to take over the New World.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about trying different kinds of food. Using Darwin's experiences of eating things like puma meat and tree fungus, discuss how different cultures have different culinary habits. Include any experience you have had in trying a food you had never eaten before. Explain in your essay how adventurous you are (or are not) in trying unusual foods.
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)