|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Darwin speculate died out on the continent long before the Spanish arrived?
2. What does Darwin discover about fifteen miles from Patagones?
3. What is the guanaco Darwin sees on the way to the Sauce military outpost?
4. Where does Darwin get his first walk through a rain forest?
5. Why can two dead monkeys not be shaken out of a tree?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Darwin not stay long at Bahia Blanca?
2. In three days at Socego, where does Darwin find insects to collect?
3. How does Darwin describe the dress of the Chilean miner?
4. What strange phenomenon occurs on the way to Port Desire and how does Darwin rationalize it?
5. What comment does Darwin make about slavery in Australia?
6. What are conditions like at the copper mines of Jajuel?
7. Tell what Darwin thinks and observes about the rivers in the Andes Mountains.
8. Summarize Darwin's classification of coral reefs.
9. What is Darwin given to eat at Tapalguen River?
10. At the first stop after Sao Jago, what are Darwin's observations?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on man's disruption of natural ecology by introducing species to an area where they do not naturally belong. Use examples of this as seen by Darwin on his scientific voyage. Conclude in your essay why humans are responsible for preserving the ecosystems of the world.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay evaluating Darwin as a sociologist. Define how objective he is in writing about other cultures. Be sure to give references from his book to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about returning home after a long journey or vacation. Define the feelings of being in familiar surroundings and sleeping in your own bed. Compare with Darwin's anxious desire to return to England after five years on the Beagle.
This section contains 1,750 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)