|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Darwin told about climatic events in the area?
2. Where does Darwin stay at Socego?
3. What is one of the industries of the native population near the military post?
4. What is the composition of most of the rock formations on the Brazilian coast?
5. How does Darwin attempt to communicate with a large black man on a ferry?
Short Essay Questions
1. On his trip to Buenos Aires, What does Darwin have to observe?
2. How is Darwin stunned by the docility of a large male slave?
3. How does Darwin surmise that animals similar to Old World animals ended up in the Americas?
4. Briefly tell about the waterfowl Darwin catalogs on East Falkland Island.
5. Describe the problem with getting three boats up the Santa Cruz River.
6. What is Darwin given to eat at Tapalguen River?
7. At the Rio Negro, about 300 miles to the south of Maldonado, what is the evidence of political turmoil in South America?
8. Who does Darwin encounter at Las Minas and how does he size them up?
9. What occurs in the Plata estuary?
10. In three days at Socego, where does Darwin find insects to collect?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about slavery. Use examples from South America and Australia that had a profound impact on Darwin. In your essay discuss how slavery affects both the slave and the master psychologically. Give your opinion as to why slavery was a generally accepted practice in the 1800s.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about returning home after a long journey or vacation. Define the feelings of being in familiar surroundings and sleeping in your own bed. Compare with Darwin's anxious desire to return to England after five years on the Beagle.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on man's disruption of natural ecology by introducing species to an area where they do not naturally belong. Use examples of this as seen by Darwin on his scientific voyage. Conclude in your essay why humans are responsible for preserving the ecosystems of the world.
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)