|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the man think Darwin is going to do?
2. What does Darwin observe that is formed by lightning hitting the hills and traversing through the sand?
3. Where does Darwin spend ten weeks at the mouth of the Plata River?
4. How does the Santa Cruz River bed change as Darwin moves upstream?
5. What is a particular riding skill of a gaucho?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Darwin have to say about the Brazilian rain forest?
2. What does Darwin write about a huge bird he kills up the Santa Cruz River?
3. What does Darwin find to write about just outside of Maldonado?
4. Who does Darwin encounter at Las Minas and how does he size them up?
5. Describe the rodents Darwin encounters outside Maldonado.
6. Why does Darwin not stay long at Bahia Blanca?
7. What does Darwin write about how the gauchos break horses?
8. How does Darwin describe the behavior of the guanaco he finds at the ruins of an old Spanish settlement?
9. In three days at Socego, where does Darwin find insects to collect?
10. Relate the circumstances of returning natives of Tierra del Fuego island.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay comparing the historical displacement of native peoples in both North and South America. Compare the revolutions and wars with the indigenous populations of each continent. In your essay speculate on how small groups of European settlers were able to take over the New World.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay discussing Darwin's idea that a tribe needs a strong leader to survive. Refer to his description of the Fuegian people found in Chapter 10. In your essay state whether you agree with Darwin and why.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about how scientific knowledge has grown since Darwin (1809-1882) went on the voyage of the Beagle. Discuss how modern scientific methods and equipment enable us to see things Darwin could not see with his naked eye or under his microscope. Speculate on how much more Darwin might have found in areas that were of little interest to him on his trip if he had had access to more modern equipment.
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)