|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes the different colored water Darwin sees after leaving Bahia?
2. What do Darwin and his companions find at the Colorado River?
3. What is the composition of Sierra de la Ventana?
4. What do the gauchos prepare for a meal on the island?
5. In addition to the volcanic formation of St. Domingo, what does Darwin notice about the island?
Short Essay Questions
1. Tell something about the island of Chiloe.
2. How do the people of Uruguay receive Darwin and what does he notice there?
3. Explain what Darwin observes after landing at Hobart Town on the island of Tasmania.
4. How does Darwin react to Mauritius, known at that time as the Isle of France?
5. What does Darwin write about a huge bird he kills up the Santa Cruz River?
6. What does Darwin write about how the gauchos break horses?
7. What does Darwin discover in the area of Bahia Blanca after the Beagle arrives and how does he theorize about his find?
8. Tell what has transpired on the trip from the Galapagos to Tahiti.
9. Summarize Darwin's classification of coral reefs.
10. How does Darwin describe a staple food on Tierra del Fuego?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about returning home after a long journey or vacation. Define the feelings of being in familiar surroundings and sleeping in your own bed. Compare with Darwin's anxious desire to return to England after five years on the Beagle.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the type of person who is scientifically, physically, and emotionally fit to undertake a voyage like the one Darwin made around the world. In explaining your thesis, use examples of Darwin's inquisitive mind, his ability as a hunter, his ability to ride a horse, his nerve to go off with strangers into the unknown, etc.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the value of keeping a journal. In your essay note that only observations are made in the 5-week stay on the Galapagos Islands. It was later after pondering his notes on Galapagos and reading other scientific books that Darwin used his Galapagos experience as a model for his theories in THE ORIGIN OF SPECIES. Be less specific and generalize more in your essay about how a well-kept journal may be of great value at some future time.
This section contains 1,803 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)