|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Darwin have to do for two days at the military encampment?
2. What do Darwin and his gaucho companion hear at the Sauce outpost?
3. Where does Darwin stay at Socego?
4. Where does Darwin see a rocky, steep hill jutting about 1,000 feet into the sky?
5. What amusing thing does Darwin witness outside of Monte Video?
Short Essay Questions
1. On his trip to Buenos Aires, What does Darwin have to observe?
2. Describe the problem with getting three boats up the Santa Cruz River.
3. Heading toward St. Fe, about 300 miles north of Buenos Aries along the Parana River, describe the strange animal Darwin observes.
4. How does Darwin describe the behavior of the guanaco he finds at the ruins of an old Spanish settlement?
5. What does Darwin find to write about just outside of Maldonado?
6. Why is Darwin fascinated to find the flatworm in the mud around the salt lake?
7. Relate the circumstances of returning natives of Tierra del Fuego island.
8. What does Darwin surmise about the geology of St. Jago?
9. What does Darwin write about how the gauchos break horses?
10. What occurs in the Plata estuary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about birds you are familiar with and like. In the essay, describe the various birds and why they are appealing to you. Use anecdotes to support your points.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on man's disruption of natural ecology by introducing species to an area where they do not naturally belong. Use examples of this as seen by Darwin on his scientific voyage. Conclude in your essay why humans are responsible for preserving the ecosystems of the world.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about hunting for sport. Mention Darwin's killing of the condor in connection to the efforts today to save the bird from extinction. In your essay discuss how humans have contributed to the extinction or near extinction of many species.
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)