|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the composition of most of the rock formations on the Brazilian coast?
2. Where does Darwin see camphor, pepper, cinnamon and clove trees, along with breadfruit, jaca and mango?
3. What do Gen. Rosa's soldiers do after killing the adult natives?
4. What affirmation does Darwin make about the earth?
5. Upon Darwin's return to Buenos Aires, what is going on?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the people of Uruguay receive Darwin and what does he notice there?
2. What does Darwin discover in the area of Bahia Blanca after the Beagle arrives and how does he theorize about his find?
3. What does Darwin have to say about the Brazilian rain forest?
4. What strange phenomenon occurs on the way to Port Desire and how does Darwin rationalize it?
5. On his trip to Buenos Aires, What does Darwin have to observe?
6. Describe two species of birds Darwin locates after he finds the fossils.
7. In three days at Socego, where does Darwin find insects to collect?
8. Why is Darwin fascinated to find the flatworm in the mud around the salt lake?
9. What does Darwin write about how the gauchos break horses?
10. Heading toward St. Fe, about 300 miles north of Buenos Aries along the Parana River, describe the strange animal Darwin observes.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about hunting for sport. Mention Darwin's killing of the condor in connection to the efforts today to save the bird from extinction. In your essay discuss how humans have contributed to the extinction or near extinction of many species.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about returning home after a long journey or vacation. Define the feelings of being in familiar surroundings and sleeping in your own bed. Compare with Darwin's anxious desire to return to England after five years on the Beagle.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on man's disruption of natural ecology by introducing species to an area where they do not naturally belong. Use examples of this as seen by Darwin on his scientific voyage. Conclude in your essay why humans are responsible for preserving the ecosystems of the world.
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)