|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What small bird resembles quail in its habits and snipe in its looks?
2. Upon Darwin's return to Buenos Aires, what is going on?
3. How does Darwin speculate the craggy boulders around the mountains were moved?
4. What do the Brazilian villages remind Darwin of?
5. What happened at Sierra Tapalguen the night before Darwin and company arrive at the nearby outpost?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Darwin describe the countryside coming down off the Blue Mountain plateau?
2. How does Darwin react to Sydney, Australia?
3. Tell something about the island of Chiloe.
4. Explain what Darwin observes after landing at Hobart Town on the island of Tasmania.
5. What does Darwin have to say about the Brazilian rain forest?
6. Describe Darwin's disappointment at the saltpeter mine.
7. Tell what Darwin thinks and observes about the rivers in the Andes Mountains.
8. How does Darwin describe the dress of the Chilean miner?
9. What evidence does Darwin find that sea beds are raised by nature to great heights?
10. Relate the circumstances of returning natives of Tierra del Fuego island.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay comparing and contrasting the gaucho with the North American cowboy. In the contrast be sure to include the gaucho's use of the bola. Give your opinion as to which of the two you find most interesting.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about hunting for sport. Mention Darwin's killing of the condor in connection to the efforts today to save the bird from extinction. In your essay discuss how humans have contributed to the extinction or near extinction of many species.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about returning home after a long journey or vacation. Define the feelings of being in familiar surroundings and sleeping in your own bed. Compare with Darwin's anxious desire to return to England after five years on the Beagle.
This section contains 1,715 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)