|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Darwin discover about fifteen miles from Patagones?
2. What does the evening meal consist of at Don Juan Fuentes' house?
3. How does the Santa Cruz River bed change as Darwin moves upstream?
4. What amusing thing does Darwin witness outside of Monte Video?
5. What do the gauchos bring down using their bolas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Darwin given to eat at Tapalguen River?
2. Describe the problem Darwin faces when he returns to Buenos Aires.
3. How does Darwin regard the Brazilian horses?
4. In three days at Socego, where does Darwin find insects to collect?
5. What does Darwin surmise about the geology of St. Jago?
6. Briefly tell about the waterfowl Darwin catalogs on East Falkland Island.
7. What does Darwin write about how the gauchos break horses?
8. In the area of St. Fe, Darwin examines the geology. What discovery does he make there?
9. At the first stop after Sao Jago, what are Darwin's observations?
10. How is Darwin stunned by the docility of a large male slave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay comparing and contrasting the gaucho with the North American cowboy. In the contrast be sure to include the gaucho's use of the bola. Give your opinion as to which of the two you find most interesting.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the formation and beauty of atolls. In your essay discuss how they were formed, specifically noting the part that coral plays in the process. Express your feeling about the fragility of the coral reefs and the effects on them of pollution and global warming.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about a scientific trip you would like to make. Zero in on one geographical area you would like to visit and do scientific research. In your essay, express how you would prepare for such an expedition.
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)