|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does sea salt work better than lake salt as a preservative?
2. What is Capt. Fitz Roy's plan after anchoring at the mouth of the Santa Cruz River?
3. What does the kingfisher use to collect its food?
4. Where does Darwin see a rocky, steep hill jutting about 1,000 feet into the sky?
5. What does the evening meal consist of at Don Juan Fuentes' house?
Short Essay Questions
1. In three days at Socego, where does Darwin find insects to collect?
2. In the area of St. Fe, Darwin examines the geology. What discovery does he make there?
3. Heading toward St. Fe, about 300 miles north of Buenos Aries along the Parana River, describe the strange animal Darwin observes.
4. What does Darwin find to write about just outside of Maldonado?
5. What does Darwin surmise about the geology of St. Jago?
6. On his trip to Buenos Aires, What does Darwin have to observe?
7. How does Darwin regard the Brazilian horses?
8. What occurs in the Plata estuary?
9. What problem ensues after the Portuguese priest makes a kill in the forest?
10. What does Darwin write about a huge bird he kills up the Santa Cruz River?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the type of person who is scientifically, physically, and emotionally fit to undertake a voyage like the one Darwin made around the world. In explaining your thesis, use examples of Darwin's inquisitive mind, his ability as a hunter, his ability to ride a horse, his nerve to go off with strangers into the unknown, etc.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about how scientific knowledge has grown since Darwin (1809-1882) went on the voyage of the Beagle. Discuss how modern scientific methods and equipment enable us to see things Darwin could not see with his naked eye or under his microscope. Speculate on how much more Darwin might have found in areas that were of little interest to him on his trip if he had had access to more modern equipment.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the value of keeping a journal. In your essay note that only observations are made in the 5-week stay on the Galapagos Islands. It was later after pondering his notes on Galapagos and reading other scientific books that Darwin used his Galapagos experience as a model for his theories in THE ORIGIN OF SPECIES. Be less specific and generalize more in your essay about how a well-kept journal may be of great value at some future time.
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)