|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Darwin learn about the ostrich?
2. What does Darwin find in the Santa Fe area?
3. What is Darwin told about climatic events in the area?
4. What does Darwin do during his three-day stay in Socego?
5. What small bird resembles quail in its habits and snipe in its looks?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Darwin not stay long at Bahia Blanca?
2. Describe the rodents Darwin encounters outside Maldonado.
3. What occurs in the Plata estuary?
4. What does Darwin write about how the gauchos break horses?
5. How does Darwin react to the selling of children as slaves as opposed to what the soldiers and the settlers think about it.
6. Describe the beginning of Darwin's trip around the world.
7. How is Darwin stunned by the docility of a large male slave?
8. What does Darwin find to write about just outside of Maldonado?
9. Describe the problem with getting three boats up the Santa Cruz River.
10. How does Darwin surmise that animals similar to Old World animals ended up in the Americas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a critique of THE VOYAGE OF THE BEAGLE. In the critique discuss the writer's style, use of language, and ability to make the reading interesting. End the critique by your recommendation for people to read or not read this book.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the value of keeping a journal. In your essay note that only observations are made in the 5-week stay on the Galapagos Islands. It was later after pondering his notes on Galapagos and reading other scientific books that Darwin used his Galapagos experience as a model for his theories in THE ORIGIN OF SPECIES. Be less specific and generalize more in your essay about how a well-kept journal may be of great value at some future time.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about returning home after a long journey or vacation. Define the feelings of being in familiar surroundings and sleeping in your own bed. Compare with Darwin's anxious desire to return to England after five years on the Beagle.
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)