|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What amusing thing does Darwin witness outside of Monte Video?
2. What is one of the industries of the native population near the military post?
3. What is Darwin told about climatic events in the area?
4. What is the Casarita meaning little house builder?
5. Who does Darwin accompany while exploring around Botofogo Bay?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the area of St. Fe, Darwin examines the geology. What discovery does he make there?
2. What does Darwin discover in the area of Bahia Blanca after the Beagle arrives and how does he theorize about his find?
3. Why is Darwin fascinated to find the flatworm in the mud around the salt lake?
4. How does Darwin surmise that animals similar to Old World animals ended up in the Americas?
5. How does Darwin describe the behavior of the guanaco he finds at the ruins of an old Spanish settlement?
6. How is Darwin stunned by the docility of a large male slave?
7. At the first stop after Sao Jago, what are Darwin's observations?
8. What does Darwin write about how the gauchos break horses?
9. How does Darwin regard the Brazilian horses?
10. Describe the rodents Darwin encounters outside Maldonado.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about hunting for sport. Mention Darwin's killing of the condor in connection to the efforts today to save the bird from extinction. In your essay discuss how humans have contributed to the extinction or near extinction of many species.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about birds you are familiar with and like. In the essay, describe the various birds and why they are appealing to you. Use anecdotes to support your points.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay comparing and contrasting the gaucho with the North American cowboy. In the contrast be sure to include the gaucho's use of the bola. Give your opinion as to which of the two you find most interesting.
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)