|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At Botofogo Bay, what does Darwin find that interests him?
2. Where do seals and penguins surround the ship and make noises that resemble cattle?
3. After leaving the Santa Cruz River, where does the Beagle make its next stop?
4. What is the Casarita meaning little house builder?
5. Leaving Monte Video, where is the Beagle headed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Darwin surmise that animals similar to Old World animals ended up in the Americas?
2. What strange phenomenon occurs on the way to Port Desire and how does Darwin rationalize it?
3. Why does Darwin not stay long at Bahia Blanca?
4. Tell something about the island of Chiloe.
5. Explain Darwin's observations in the Galapagos that will later influence his scientific theories.
6. How do the people of Uruguay receive Darwin and what does he notice there?
7. In three days at Socego, where does Darwin find insects to collect?
8. What is Darwin given to eat at Tapalguen River?
9. What does Darwin write about a huge bird he kills up the Santa Cruz River?
10. What problem ensues after the Portuguese priest makes a kill in the forest?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay comparing the hardships of exploring the earth in the mid 1880s to the hardships of space exploration today. Compare such things as cramped living conditions, facing the unknown, and dietary changes that go along with each type of exploration. Speculate how much different space travel may become in the next 100 years by comparing with the improvements in travel since the voyage of the Beagle.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on man's disruption of natural ecology by introducing species to an area where they do not naturally belong. Use examples of this as seen by Darwin on his scientific voyage. Conclude in your essay why humans are responsible for preserving the ecosystems of the world.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about a scientific trip you would like to make. Zero in on one geographical area you would like to visit and do scientific research. In your essay, express how you would prepare for such an expedition.
This section contains 1,724 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)