|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After leaving the Santa Cruz River, where does the Beagle make its next stop?
2. What are the dates of Charles Darwin's life span?
3. What does Darwin see along the way where robbers hide and cattle can be lost?
4. What does Darwin find while exploring Cape de Verd?
5. Upon Darwin's return to Buenos Aires, what is going on?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Darwin react to the selling of children as slaves as opposed to what the soldiers and the settlers think about it.
2. At the first stop after Sao Jago, what are Darwin's observations?
3. Describe Darwin's exploration of the interior of the Tahitian Island.
4. Explain what Darwin sees at Concepcion and why the houses are still standing.
5. At the Rio Negro, about 300 miles to the south of Maldonado, what is the evidence of political turmoil in South America?
6. What are conditions like at the copper mines of Jajuel?
7. Describe Darwin's impressions at the bay of Valparaiso.
8. What does Darwin discover in the area of Bahia Blanca after the Beagle arrives and how does he theorize about his find?
9. Describe two species of birds Darwin locates after he finds the fossils.
10. Heading toward St. Fe, about 300 miles north of Buenos Aries along the Parana River, describe the strange animal Darwin observes.
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about how you see the character of Charles Darwin from what he writes in his journal. Find illustrations to describe him as a person, his sensibilities, and his spirit of adventure. In your essay discuss how his public image as a man who challenges established religion is different from the way he actually is.
Essay Topic 2
Write a critique of THE VOYAGE OF THE BEAGLE. In the critique discuss the writer's style, use of language, and ability to make the reading interesting. End the critique by your recommendation for people to read or not read this book.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about slavery. Use examples from South America and Australia that had a profound impact on Darwin. In your essay discuss how slavery affects both the slave and the master psychologically. Give your opinion as to why slavery was a generally accepted practice in the 1800s.
This section contains 1,888 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)