|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is a tree Darwin comes across famous among the natives?
2. What do Darwin and his companions find at the Colorado River?
3. What large bird does Darwin shoot up the Santa Cruz River?
4. Upon Darwin's return to Buenos Aires, what is going on?
5. What are the only two insects Darwin locates on St. Paul's Rocks?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Darwin fascinated to find the flatworm in the mud around the salt lake?
2. Heading toward St. Fe, about 300 miles north of Buenos Aries along the Parana River, describe the strange animal Darwin observes.
3. How do the people of Uruguay receive Darwin and what does he notice there?
4. What does Darwin have to say about the Brazilian rain forest?
5. Describe the beginning of Darwin's trip around the world.
6. How does Darwin describe the behavior of the guanaco he finds at the ruins of an old Spanish settlement?
7. How does Darwin surmise that animals similar to Old World animals ended up in the Americas?
8. How is Darwin stunned by the docility of a large male slave?
9. What occurs in the Plata estuary?
10. What problem ensues after the Portuguese priest makes a kill in the forest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay comparing the hardships of exploring the earth in the mid 1880s to the hardships of space exploration today. Compare such things as cramped living conditions, facing the unknown, and dietary changes that go along with each type of exploration. Speculate how much different space travel may become in the next 100 years by comparing with the improvements in travel since the voyage of the Beagle.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the part volcanoes have played in the formation of land areas on the earth. Although usually looked at as something dangerous and terrible, discuss the contributions volcanoes have played in forming island territories and the fertility and shape of land areas. In your essay mention some active volcanoes today.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about hunting for sport. Mention Darwin's killing of the condor in connection to the efforts today to save the bird from extinction. In your essay discuss how humans have contributed to the extinction or near extinction of many species.
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)