|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Capt. Fitz Roy's plan after anchoring at the mouth of the Santa Cruz River?
2. How does Darwin end up bringing his own horse down?
3. What does the evening meal consist of at Don Juan Fuentes' house?
4. Where do the people show hospitality and allow Darwin to stay at various outposts and ranches?
5. What does Darwin discover that some small owls eat by examining the contents of their stomachs?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Darwin surmise that animals similar to Old World animals ended up in the Americas?
2. Describe the beginning of Darwin's trip around the world.
3. What does Darwin find to write about just outside of Maldonado?
4. In the area of St. Fe, Darwin examines the geology. What discovery does he make there?
5. At the Rio Negro, about 300 miles to the south of Maldonado, what is the evidence of political turmoil in South America?
6. What does Darwin have to say about the Brazilian rain forest?
7. How does Darwin describe the behavior of the guanaco he finds at the ruins of an old Spanish settlement?
8. Why is Darwin fascinated to find the flatworm in the mud around the salt lake?
9. Describe the rodents Darwin encounters outside Maldonado.
10. At the first stop after Sao Jago, what are Darwin's observations?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay comparing the hardships of exploring the earth in the mid 1880s to the hardships of space exploration today. Compare such things as cramped living conditions, facing the unknown, and dietary changes that go along with each type of exploration. Speculate how much different space travel may become in the next 100 years by comparing with the improvements in travel since the voyage of the Beagle.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about a scientific trip you would like to make. Zero in on one geographical area you would like to visit and do scientific research. In your essay, express how you would prepare for such an expedition.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay discussing Darwin's idea that a tribe needs a strong leader to survive. Refer to his description of the Fuegian people found in Chapter 10. In your essay state whether you agree with Darwin and why.
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)